Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187749 times)

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1260 on: July 05, 2022, 04:02:56 PM »
ride on tricks have always been pussy. there I said it.

I felt similar until I nearly ate shit on a 6” tall ride on rainbow rail at a DIY spot.  Lot of potential to get wrecked on some of these high up ones dudes are hitting, especially the drop to grind ones.

While I’m here, cannot stand watching Cookie skate.  Skateboarding isn’t only about looking cool.. but he’s so painfully uncool and his bow legged style so bad that his incredible skill is soured.  He fits perfectly on Worble, or Madness, or any other industry leftovers brand.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #1261 on: July 05, 2022, 08:33:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My unpopular opinion: there's like a pencil width between a 7.5 and an 8. It could not matter less. The skate companies are banking on everyone thinking a couple of mms is real difference. It's not heart surgery, you'll be fine with whatever.
[close]

I rode a 7.4 wide board for years. It was great
[close]

7.5 with venture low 5.0 is the best setup I've ever rode

Next time I visit home I'm bringing my 7.5s and ventures back with me
[close]

Agreed,once you get use to board that’s 7.5 or less it. Really becomes the best overall width imo
[close]
Have a friend who absolutely kills it on a zip zinger. It's his legit prefered setup. My point was more tho say you love 7.5 and go to the shop and they don't have one it won't kill you to just get a 7.75. if you don't think about it you'd probably barely notice.

Got it, yeah, I switch to 7.75 after awhile and it wasn’t much different and wasn’t that hard to get use to.
//////////

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #1262 on: July 05, 2022, 08:35:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My unpopular opinion: there's like a pencil width between a 7.5 and an 8. It could not matter less. The skate companies are banking on everyone thinking a couple of mms is real difference. It's not heart surgery, you'll be fine with whatever.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Agreed,once you get use to board that’s 7.5 or less it. Really becomes the best overall width imo
[close]
Have a friend who absolutely kills it on a zip zinger. It's his legit prefered setup. My point was more tho say you love 7.5 and go to the shop and they don't have one it won't kill you to just get a 7.75. if you don't think about it you'd probably barely notice.
[close]

Got it, yeah, I switch to 7.75 after awhile and it wasn’t much different and wasn’t that hard to get use to.

What size feet do people have that skate 7.5?

JRF

« Reply #1263 on: July 05, 2022, 08:59:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I’m a size 9.5, sometimes a size 10 depending on the shoe.
//////////

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1264 on: July 05, 2022, 09:18:50 PM »
Expand Quote
The unpopular opinion on Slap would actually be small boards and tighter trucks suck.
Which they do if you are older than 15 and skate things besides flat at the park.
[close]

I work at a skate shop. I see what people are riding and majority aren't on small decks with tighter trucks. That goes for people over 30 too, Grown ass men coming in with wobbling 169s and 8.75"s claiming that it's the best feeling setup out there then they proceed to go 2mph and do an ankle high pressured 360 flip barely landing it because the trucks are so unstable. I think people are gonna stop buying aces too finally because everyone is realizing how impractical insanely loose trucks are when you actually want to land tricks consistently. Luckily though we have been selling way more boards that are 8.25 and under recently.

Agreed.

My current unpopular take might be that aces are a better truck when you run them tight. You still get everything people like about aces but they feel much more stable, and will still turn sharper than a much looser venture.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
« Reply #1265 on: July 05, 2022, 09:31:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
13s on a 7.75 but would go a 7.5 if that's what's available

TurboVirgin

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1266 on: July 05, 2022, 10:00:06 PM »
If cheetah sheets posts clips then mods should unban him.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1267 on: July 06, 2022, 12:40:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The unpopular opinion on Slap would actually be small boards and tighter trucks suck.
Which they do if you are older than 15 and skate things besides flat at the park.
[close]

I work at a skate shop. I see what people are riding and majority aren't on small decks with tighter trucks. That goes for people over 30 too, Grown ass men coming in with wobbling 169s and 8.75"s claiming that it's the best feeling setup out there then they proceed to go 2mph and do an ankle high pressured 360 flip barely landing it because the trucks are so unstable. I think people are gonna stop buying aces too finally because everyone is realizing how impractical insanely loose trucks are when you actually want to land tricks consistently. Luckily though we have been selling way more boards that are 8.25 and under recently.
[close]

Agreed.

My current unpopular take might be that aces are a better truck when you run them tight. You still get everything people like about aces but they feel much more stable, and will still turn sharper than a much looser venture.

I tried to like Aces but just too over-turny for my taste. Even with a couple threads showing…nah. Couldn’t be assed to fuck with any hard bushings and in all honesty, had more fun on some ML’s. I disliked swerving out of tricks and the unstableness on pushing

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1268 on: July 06, 2022, 05:02:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

11 US

My skating is much better on 7.5

I skate ledges, Mannie pads etc

newguy

« Reply #1269 on: July 06, 2022, 05:12:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

what the fuck. I ride an 8.5 with size 10s and sometimes feel my board is too small. you guys are amazing  :D

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #1270 on: July 06, 2022, 05:15:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

what the fuck. I ride an 8.5 with size 10s and sometimes feel my board is too small. you guys are amazing  :D

You do realize that all the old skate videos you know and love were on 7.3 to 7.6

I don't see why it's so crazy to people these days.

newguy

« Reply #1271 on: July 06, 2022, 05:27:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

You do realize that all the old skate videos you know and love were on 7.3 to 7.6

harder to tell board sizes on old footage, and I’m too young to have skated in the era of slim jeans and small boards era. I actually started with an 8.25 as well so big boards are all I know, hence my comment. Ask any kid riding today what size they’ve  got, I reckon most ride above 7,75, at least that’s how it is in my local

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #1272 on: July 06, 2022, 05:30:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

harder to tell board sizes on old footage, and I’m too young to have skated in the era of slim jeans and small boards era. I actually started with an 8.25 as well so big boards are all I know, hence my comment. Ask any kid riding today what size they’ve  got, I reckon most ride above 7,75, at least that’s how it is in my local

Ah gotcha

Sorry I just presumed you were old like the rest of us.

Try a 7.5 with venture lows man. You'll be nollie heel crooks'ing in no time

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #1273 on: July 06, 2022, 05:33:51 AM »
bs smith on a curved ledge is less impressive than on a straight one. Not sure if unpopular though.

newguy

« Reply #1274 on: July 06, 2022, 05:45:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah gotcha

Sorry I just presumed you were old like the rest of us.

Try a 7.5 with venture lows man. You'll be nollie heel crooks'ing in no time

I’ll try to learn regular kickflips first  ;D

and idk I really like skating ramp with a big ass board, feels just like surfing sometimes

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1275 on: July 06, 2022, 05:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

I third this and it's amusing when you go to an area and see people that don't follow trends and realize that the majority rode much tighter than is cool. When I got Ace Classics a homeless person stole my tool at a spot and I was stuck riding them tighter than I wanted and it was actually awesome feeling. I had maybe half a thread showing but felt stable and the turn felt really progressive. If you're too loose you lose progressive reboundz

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
« Reply #1276 on: July 06, 2022, 05:59:28 AM »
I remember when an 8.25 was massive.  I remember Underworld
Element had one in like 94 and it was a major anomaly (I think the graphic was a trailer home?).  Shit, I remember riding 7.75 and feeling like I was really pushing it. 

I recently tightened my trucks up a bit and I’m skating much much better.  I realized I’m like 50 pounds heavier than my heyday, and my board is gonna turn regardless of if their loose or tight. 

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #1277 on: July 06, 2022, 06:33:20 AM »
People underestimate how nice stability is when setting up for a trick

In hindsight my tight trucks held me back on transition but helped me w street.
Can't believe I was skating big bowls on grind kinds for damn near 8 years...

On ventures now might go back to indy idk
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1278 on: July 06, 2022, 07:17:01 AM »
Element had one in like 94 and it was a major anomaly (I think the graphic was a trailer home?).  Shit, I remember riding 7.75 and feeling like I was really pushing it. 

I recently tightened my trucks up a bit and I’m skating much much better.  I realized I’m like 50 pounds heavier than my heyday, and my board is gonna turn regardless of if their loose or tight.

I remember that Element board.

I also remember looking at a Seek Mikey Taylor at Nocturnal and passing on it because it was a 7.69.

Everyone at Love was riding the Alien 30.75 X 7.4 shape back then. Even Stevie would ride that board with a giant Chocolate logo spray painted over the graphic.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #1279 on: July 06, 2022, 07:18:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I also remember looking at a Seek Mikey Taylor at Nocturnal and passing on it because it was a 7.69.

Everyone at Love was riding the Alien 30.75 X 7.4 shape back then. Even Stevie would ride that board with a giant Chocolate logo spray painted over the graphic.

Dam id love to skate that Alien shape

Don't suppose they're making them now ha

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -221
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1280 on: July 06, 2022, 07:25:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It came in the Kalis graphic with the horse and “JOSH” styled like the Love statue and the burnt orange pod board Pops rode in most of his Alien footage.

I wish they still made them.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #1281 on: July 06, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It came in the Kalis graphic with the horse and “JOSH” styled like the Love statue and the burnt orange pod board Pops rode in most of his Alien footage.

My mate had that Kalis graphic

Fire

JRF

« Reply #1282 on: July 06, 2022, 06:39:44 PM »

I rode a lot of small boards, but I would never ride tight trucks unless there was a gun to my head. I always rode my back truck noticeably looser than my front truck, which is sort of ass backwards. Either way, skinny width board, medium or high trucks (Indy or thunder) with with the kingpin bolt just tight enough to not come loose (with the front truck just a tad bit tighter),,That’s a decent formula IMO
//////////

JRF

« Reply #1283 on: July 06, 2022, 06:48:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Ron Whaley use to ride my 7.4 width board and he had size 13 shoes, he made that thing look like a damn tech deck under his feet
//////////

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
« Reply #1284 on: July 06, 2022, 06:57:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Ron Whaley use to ride my 7.4 width board and he had size 13 shoes, he made that thing look like a damn tech deck under his feet
There's a thing that happens with the 13s and little board where if you put your toe right on the toe edge the heel edge of the board is comfortably in the arch of your foot. Obvs depends on shoes as well but I find with boards 8-8.375 your heel starts to touch the heel edge and you can accidentally press down/turn frontside a bit. 8.4+ your heels on just that little bit more and you can control it better. Of course this can all be fixed by putting your feet slightly differently tho.

k-nutz

• Rep: 51
« Reply #1285 on: July 06, 2022, 07:38:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

They had the STEEPEST concave.  Slim but steep. 

BoredSlide816

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1286 on: July 06, 2022, 09:13:59 PM »
The Creature team acts exactly like college frat boys.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #1287 on: July 06, 2022, 09:28:41 PM »
C’mon…..say Antihero you chicken shit…..

BoredSlide816

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1288 on: July 06, 2022, 09:43:53 PM »
Okay. Antihero is also a frat boy team. Any team whose whole schtick is “oOoOo we’re bad boy outlaws” comes across as, ironically, extremely frat to me. It’s like, you’re trying to be the badass gatekeepers of skateboarding by acting exactly like the people I started skating to avoid. Whatever.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #1289 on: July 06, 2022, 11:50:22 PM »
Okay. Antihero is also a frat boy team. Any team whose whole schtick is “oOoOo we’re bad boy outlaws” comes across as, ironically, extremely frat to me. It’s like, you’re trying to be the badass gatekeepers of skateboarding by acting exactly like the people I started skating to avoid. Whatever.

I don’t really get that frat boy vibe from them. But I guess my idea of ‘frat boys’ is 30 years old. The current frat boys drink monster and are into ‘extreme sports’, and wear DC shoes, I guess.

But if we are talking bully/asshole/groupthink behavior, GX takes it for me.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea