Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187599 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1530 on: July 16, 2022, 03:47:26 AM »
Expand Quote
^^^that was cool to watch. Thanks for sharing.
[close]

Thanks man.. it was definitely a great time in my life, even with all the fucking constant panic attacks and social awkwardness I forced on myself at times.

Yeah, crazy how much self-awareness just comes with age. You did the damn thing though, man. Props.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

JRF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #1531 on: July 16, 2022, 04:03:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man.. it was definitely a great time in my life, even with all the fucking constant panic attacks and social awkwardness I forced on myself at times.
[close]

Yeah, crazy how much self-awareness just comes with age. You did the damn thing though, man. Props.

Oh, for sure.. I totally agree. It took me into my late 30’s/early 40’s to completely realize that I should stop over analyzing everything and to just be comfortable and content with who I am. Late bloomer I guess.
//////////

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1532 on: July 16, 2022, 04:12:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh, for sure.. I totally agree. It took me into my late 30’s/early 40’s to completely realize that I should stop over analyzing everything and to just be comfortable and content with who I am. Late bloomer I guess.

I really like being 40 so far. I thought 30 was where everything clicked, but 40’s been amazing.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

JRF

« Reply #1533 on: July 16, 2022, 04:29:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I really like being 40 so far. I thought 30 was where everything clicked, but 40’s been amazing.

I fully agree with that. My 30’s were filled with mental problems, addiction and poor impulse control, it wasn’t until my 40’s that I became more calm and rational in stressful situations. Which made my social life a hell of a lot less awkward.
//////////

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1534 on: July 16, 2022, 09:27:35 AM »
Stop filming on tape. It's 2022. HD is more practical in literally every scenario. Looks better, easier to use, SD cards are more accessible than tape, ect. You can't recreate what old videos had just because you're filming on the same gear.

Ya, not like the majority of us are watching them on old analogue tube tv's anymore.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1535 on: July 16, 2022, 12:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Stop filming on tape. It's 2022. HD is more practical in literally every scenario. Looks better, easier to use, SD cards are more accessible than tape, ect. You can't recreate what old videos had just because you're filming on the same gear.
[close]
Yes. I don’t understand the nostalgia for VX. It’s hard to watch at this point
[close]

I think it looks amazing for night footage for whatever reason. Day? Not so much.

I overall like VX still, but the thing that bothers me is all the 720p footage. Its just this awful middleground. Doesn't have the awesome 4:3 fisheye lense and aesthetic of the VX... its just like HD footage without glasses on.

One thing I wish skating embraced more is 60-100fps footage. Skateboarding looks soooooo nice in HD 60+ FPS. Its criminal how few people are shooting in high frame rate.
[close]

Although the last part I ever filmed was back in 2014 to 2016ish, I can say I’ve never once had a clip that was filmed in HD, pretty much 99% vx1000 footage from 1998 and onward. It’s also crazy to think that photographers shoot the majority of today’s printed photo sequences’ on some sort of digital camera format. God damn! That must be a much less stressful situation when you have a photographer shooting a sequence of you. I can think of quite a few times, while in the middle of shooting a sequence where the photographer had so many spent rolls of film laying on the ground and just feeling super fucking guilty and anxious for wasting so many rolls of film on a single trick and then there’s the situation when the photographer says “this is the last roll” which usually meant that you have 3 more more tries to land it. Back then a photographer had to be either a staff photographer for TWS, the skateboard mag” or thrasher to be able to shoot a sequence of a trick that might be a battle to make, they’d need that reimbursement from the magazine to be able to afford to waste so much film trying to get the make.
[close]

Cool insight. Have any links to your parts or sequences?
[close]

I guess this…??…

http://kurthayashimedia.blogspot.com/2010/05/fortune-fridays-1-of-4.html?m=1

I’m sure there’s atleast 1 or 2 clips that I wasted way to many rolls of film on trying to shoot a sequence

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Great part!
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #1536 on: July 16, 2022, 12:14:04 PM »
I like Zion

tonitonne

« Reply #1537 on: July 16, 2022, 12:37:09 PM »
Nollie FS bigspins are sick and don't get done nearly as often as they should.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1538 on: July 16, 2022, 12:46:31 PM »
I don't think that a majority of the Japenese talent that's exploding on the contest scene right now will have much success in the realm of legitimate street skating. They're extremely talented and do fucked up technical tricks, but I'm not sure if they'll break out of the TF.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1539 on: July 16, 2022, 03:01:33 PM »
I like Zion

I love his skating - he has a fast and explosive style. One of my favorite big rail chompers.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #1540 on: July 16, 2022, 03:07:30 PM »
I don't think that a majority of the Japenese talent that's exploding on the contest scene right now will have much success in the realm of legitimate street skating. They're extremely talented and do fucked up technical tricks, but I'm not sure if they'll break out of the TF.

Opposed to all the other contest greats who broke out……..

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1149
« Reply #1541 on: July 16, 2022, 03:12:52 PM »

If you judge success as having a unique style/trick selection and skating interesting spots in creative ways, then yeah, probably not. 

But if you’re talking about grinding out just enough footage to appease their energy drink overlords and keep the fat checks rolling in, then yes, they probably will be successful.

Or maybe they’ll just tell us all to go fuck ourselves and won’t even bother to film any street stuff.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 03:19:35 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #1542 on: July 16, 2022, 03:28:40 PM »
Expand Quote
I like Zion
[close]

I love his skating - he has a fast and explosive style. One of my favorite big rail chompers.

I love zions skating too, big rails and 540s. Like a more refined jaws

veritas

« Reply #1543 on: July 16, 2022, 07:58:42 PM »
Dressing like a workshop rider from 1998 looks like a Halloween costume in 2022

tonitonne

« Reply #1544 on: July 16, 2022, 09:42:28 PM »

I don't see how xl tees and baggy jeans are that bad personally. Classic skate fit imo. There's way worse stuff people could be wearing. There's literally a whole hypebeast subculture look at what those fuckers wear.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #1545 on: July 16, 2022, 10:36:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Opposed to all the other contest greats who broke out……..
I think it's the unfortunate situation of what's the point? Tho. Why go out and try their hardest shit on street spots when they're already getting paid to do it in a comp. So a few people on a forum will go ok actually they're pretty good.

JRF

« Reply #1546 on: July 16, 2022, 11:58:55 PM »

I guess that it depends on who’s rocking it. That dude (his name escapes me) that’s in the bronze 56k and Dc videos that wears the full ‘1999 kalis get up makes it look legit, his talent and style obviously helps too.
//////////

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1547 on: July 17, 2022, 12:02:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I guess that it depends on who’s rocking it. That dude (his name escapes me) that’s in the bronze 56k and Dc videos that wears the full ‘1999 kalis get up makes it look legit, his talent and style obviously helps too.
Talkin’ ‘bout John Shanahan over here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 12:40:19 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

JRF

« Reply #1548 on: July 17, 2022, 12:18:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yup! That dude is fucking super decent!
//////////

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1549 on: July 17, 2022, 12:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yup! That dude is fucking super decent!
Hard agree.
Something about his Kalis cos-play fits is endearing to me.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #1550 on: July 17, 2022, 01:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thought JRF was talking about Kevin Bilyeu for a second, that's another skater who I find can really pull it off. The whole Sabotage crew in general is quite fascinating in how they respect and homage the history and traditional imagery and identity of their scene all the while dodging falling into the gimmicky, and just via raw work:

(just realized the Thrasher intern moving the mouse during the screen capture around 3:07 on that version of the upload)

IpathCats

« Reply #1551 on: July 17, 2022, 05:35:25 AM »

Stop filming with cameras, it's 2022. Cell phones are more practical in literally every scenario.

Lol /s

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1552 on: July 17, 2022, 06:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stop filming with cameras, it's 2022. Cell phones are more practical in literally every scenario.

Lol /s

I guess my unpopular opinion is I give zero fucks what you use to film clips, I just want to be able to see the trick, the skater and the spot from a nice angle.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 637
« Reply #1553 on: July 17, 2022, 06:56:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol /s
[close]

I guess my unpopular opinion is I give zero fucks what you use to film clips, I just want to be able to see the trick, the skater and the spot from a nice angle.

What if you've got all that and then, hear me out, you zoom way in on the skater's face and then their ankles?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #1554 on: July 17, 2022, 06:58:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you judge success as having a unique style/trick selection and skating interesting spots in creative ways, then yeah, probably not. 

But if you’re talking about grinding out just enough footage to appease their energy drink overlords and keep the fat checks rolling in, then yes, they probably will be successful.

Or maybe they’ll just tell us all to go fuck ourselves and won’t even bother to film any street stuff.

Pj does that last part without doing contests

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #1555 on: July 17, 2022, 08:48:44 AM »
Aureilien just dropped a part no?  I’m sure it’s nuts…..I haven’t watched it yet….I may not…

IpathCats

« Reply #1556 on: July 18, 2022, 07:12:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol /s
[close]

[close]

What if you've got all that and then, hear me out, you zoom way in on the skater's face and then their ankles?

Board, face, board, face, fat bills golden formula. extra points if the subject is shirtless and sweaty.

It seems like we're getting past the era of bad bill impersonators, and people are actually filming in that style better than strobeck now IMO. That recent vid with Kyota had me thinking this.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1557 on: July 18, 2022, 07:14:10 AM »
Aureilien just dropped a part no?  I’m sure it’s nuts…..I haven’t watched it yet….I may not…

Even if you watched it, you wouldn't be able to remember a single trick. At least I can't

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #1558 on: July 18, 2022, 07:42:40 AM »
Contest skateboarding is going to make skateboarding really ugly. No need for anyone to do a cab back tail 270 shuv out. Unless you’re Marc Johnson and doing it gracefully. Not just a tornado spin.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1559 on: July 18, 2022, 08:16:28 AM »
Contest skateboarding is going to make skateboarding really ugly. No need for anyone to do a cab back tail 270 shuv out. Unless you’re Marc Johnson and doing it gracefully. Not just a tornado spin.

I'm so sick of seeing a cab into anything at this point. So many contest dudes are doing the same tricks