Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187773 times)

warmonke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 43
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1890 on: August 22, 2022, 05:33:37 AM »
Straight no complys look like shit.

Jake Johnsons style is bad and the hype on slap is unjustified

Edit: I just watched his purple part after writing this and I eat my words regarding the hype. Nevertheless I stand to my statement about his style
This is an 'unpopular opinion' thread not an 'objectively wrong opinion' thread

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #1891 on: August 22, 2022, 06:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Trying your hardest at skating is cool. Taking your skating seriously is cool. Pushing yourself to get better is cool. Learning new tricks is cool.
[close]

Do people disagree with that?
I mean, to disagree with that is to admit skateboarding is just a fashion/lifestyle choice and not actually about the skating?

There are plenty of pros that disagree with this. Jalba, half of FA/Hockey, etc. And this opinion is directed at pros or those trying to go pro, not homies at the local. The whole "oh he doesn't take skating too seriously" is often just an excuse to be lazy or gimmicky. They take being a cool guy more seriously than their skating.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1892 on: August 22, 2022, 06:35:29 AM »
how could you possibly know that lmao

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #1893 on: August 22, 2022, 06:45:50 AM »
What's trying your hardest?
I think skateboarding is past the spend five years killing yourself for a video part way of being a pro. Louie Lopez, Leo baker and dick Rizzo's recent parts show you can still try and create a project without ruining your entire life (or at least appears that way from the outside)

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1894 on: August 22, 2022, 06:57:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Trying your hardest at skating is cool. Taking your skating seriously is cool. Pushing yourself to get better is cool. Learning new tricks is cool.
[close]

I mean, to disagree with that is to admit skateboarding is just a fashion/lifestyle choice and not actually about the skating?
[close]

There are plenty of pros that disagree with this. Jalba, half of FA/Hockey, etc. And this opinion is directed at pros or those trying to go pro, not homies at the local. The whole "oh he doesn't take skating too seriously" is often just an excuse to be lazy or gimmicky. They take being a cool guy more seriously than their skating.

How do you get to pro level without taking skating remotely seriously
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #1895 on: August 22, 2022, 07:29:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

How do you get to pro level without taking skating remotely seriously

That's true, on some level you are taking it seriously enough to get to the pro level. Once you are pro however, it's easy to be lazy and milk it with the same 10 tricks. I just get the vibe that some pros these days care more about being a cool guy than they do about skating. But that is just like my opinion man.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #1896 on: August 22, 2022, 07:31:26 AM »
I stopped caring about the board brands I skate since all prices went to the roof, I'd buy anything I can get at the shop that doesn't have a crazy shape but its cheap enough

switchfakie

« Reply #1897 on: August 22, 2022, 10:29:30 AM »
I stopped caring about the board brands I skate since all prices went to the roof, I'd buy anything I can get at the shop that doesn't have a crazy shape but its cheap enough

me too. i spent 76 for a quasi board a few months ago and i really couldnt justify the price anymore. now i just buy BBS shop boards from Tactics for $40 a pop (or sometimes less when they go on sale). also bc tactics is a real skateshop in oregon, i dont feel quite as bad as compared to buying from other online vendors like skate warehouse

i just want cheap, quality wood that lasts at least 2 weeks worth of skating. fuck if i care about graphics anymore

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #1898 on: August 22, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Honestly, grant taylor is just Greyson fletcher with better sponsors. We wouldn’t have ever heard of either of them if their dads weren’t pros…
[close]
Gnar’d for insanity. You’re a maniac.
[close]

I’m having a hard time thinking that grant wouldn’t have a skateboard career without his father’s name. I mean, Schmidt stix had an awesome team roster and I had quite a few of the schmidt stix, kick nose “Chris miller wolf graphic” decks, and I learned terribly executed backside flips on one of those boards. But I think grant has possibly/probably accomplished as much (maybe more?) than his father did?
[close]
Who’s his dad? Honestly don’t know
[close]

Thomas Taylor. I think he was on New Deal? He has some clips in Useless Wooden Toys? Been a while since I thought about it. He owns and runs Stratosphere in Atlanta now.

Grant probably surpassed his dad as an am, but I don’t think he would be the same skater entirely without what he grew up around.
[close]
I think it's probably fair to say a lot of skateboarders wouldn't be who they are today without their dads, grants just happened to skate. It's not like grant only ever got sponsored because the world are all huge Thomas Taylor fans

I agree and I didn’t intend it as shade to Grant. He has a control like no other. And plenty of what he is capable of can’t be taught.
Same with Greyson.

Honestly, I like em both for different reasons.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Honestly, grant taylor is just Greyson fletcher with better sponsors. We wouldn’t have ever heard of either of them if their dads weren’t pros…
[close]
Gnar’d for insanity. You’re a maniac.
[close]

I’m having a hard time thinking that grant wouldn’t have a skateboard career without his father’s name. I mean, Schmidt stix had an awesome team roster and I had quite a few of the schmidt stix, kick nose “Chris miller wolf graphic” decks, and I learned terribly executed backside flips on one of those boards. But I think grant has possibly/probably accomplished as much (maybe more?) than his father did?
[close]
Who’s his dad? Honestly don’t know
[close]

Thomas Taylor. I think he was on New Deal? He has some clips in Useless Wooden Toys? Been a while since I thought about it. He owns and runs Stratosphere in Atlanta now.

[close]

He rode/was pro for “Schmidt stixs” he was probably on “new deal” after Schmidt stixs ceased to be. I can’t remember for sure though.

Thank you!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1899 on: August 22, 2022, 11:08:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

me too. i spent 76 for a quasi board a few months ago and i really couldnt justify the price anymore. now i just buy BBS shop boards from Tactics for $40 a pop (or sometimes less when they go on sale). also bc tactics is a real skateshop in oregon, i dont feel quite as bad as compared to buying from other online vendors like skate warehouse

i just want cheap, quality wood that lasts at least 2 weeks worth of skating. fuck if i care about graphics anymore

Skate Warehouse is also a real shop

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
« Reply #1900 on: August 22, 2022, 12:15:53 PM »
I enjoy watching Deedz skate.  Seems like it’s somewhat cool to hate on him, his fits, and his style but I am a fan. 

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1901 on: August 22, 2022, 12:20:00 PM »
I enjoy watching Deedz skate.  Seems like it’s somewhat cool to hate on him, his fits, and his style but I am a fan.

Damn who hates on deedz?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1902 on: August 22, 2022, 12:26:08 PM »
I mean pretty much the voice of our generation…..gifted hater….

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #1903 on: August 22, 2022, 01:17:03 PM »
Stop Watching Gifted Hater
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
« Reply #1904 on: August 22, 2022, 01:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All the gonz board designs that aren’t a zip zinger/zagger/zogger/popsicle look like complete dogshit. Talking from a board shape aspect only (not graphics).
[close]

I can’t imagine that the gonz cares what type of shape they use for his board. I’m Just saying, I wouldn’t think that the dude cares one way or another. Or maybe he does and he likes a terrible board shapes? I don’t have the answers and my reply is pretty pointless I guess…
[close]

I’ve read a few times that Gonz is notoriously dissatisfied with his setups. It’s probably part of his “craze”. He’ll snatch people’s boards and skate em on sessions and mutter about how they’re so much better than what he is riding... I dunno what his involvement is with actual shape and size choices.. maybe someone at Krooked has a screw loose.
[close]
There is footage out there of Gonz in a garage in one of the boroughs personally cutting and sanding his bizarro shapes, 5 or more at a time. It looked like he was pretty much making them himself, at least at the time. I believe the footage I am thinking of was maybe from the first Evil Beemer drop promo?
[close]

Good looks on that reminder! Gonz madness isn’t always endearing (!) but the shapes and widths he was throwing out in that video were pretty fun. Tyshawn nollie flipping the stairs at the end on a board a wide as a sidewalk is just a treat.

Yeah that’s the one. The evil beemer and ladybug or whatever. The cutouts look fucking gross. And it irks me to no end to see the people on ig like “look I can tre flip on this weird board”. And I love Gonz..

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1905 on: August 22, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn who hates on deedz?

Pretty sure he's universally loved

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1906 on: August 22, 2022, 03:34:46 PM »
i don't like watching heitor skate. he fakes the funk and it stinks
Don’t be a heitor

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1907 on: August 22, 2022, 03:34:57 PM »

Brand loyalty beyond the category of “this works for me” is infantile. Like I get it if you love a certain shoe and that’s what you want to skate, but when someone is seriously trying to clown on someone for skating the wrong deck or wearing the wrong shoes, they better be sub-16 years of age.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Johnny $witchblade

• Rep: -87
« Reply #1908 on: August 22, 2022, 06:21:39 PM »
The new Vans x Frog shoes are the most disgusting pieces of dog shit I've ever seen. Seriously bad.

That's an honest opinion. I bet there's a whole lot who pretend to like them

Johnny $witchblade

• Rep: -87
« Reply #1909 on: August 22, 2022, 06:22:32 PM »
Straight no complys look like shit.

Jake Johnsons style is bad and the hype on slap is unjustified

Edit: I just watched his purple part after writing this and I eat my words regarding the hype. Nevertheless I stand to my statement about his style

Blasphemy. Fucking philistine.

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1910 on: August 22, 2022, 08:38:03 PM »

Harsh take, but I hear you. The reason why I picked up skateboarding though was because I thought it looked cool when my elementary school friend’s older brother did it and gave me all his old CCS catalogs to not kook myself with my walmart board in my pre-teen years.

I agree and disagree. The confidence lifestyle/fashion choice thing and people skating for the wrong reasons because “it’s in right now and cool” is kinda wack in some sense. Some people can pull off vintage clothing/baggy stuff or some newage fashion though.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
« Reply #1911 on: August 23, 2022, 04:23:25 AM »
Expand Quote
The new Vans x Frog shoes are the most disgusting pieces of dog shit I've ever seen. Seriously bad.
[close]

That's an honest opinion. I bet there's a whole lot who pretend to like them

my girlfriend likes them because the little patches are cute and she's cute too so they fit her style

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #1912 on: August 23, 2022, 07:13:44 AM »
Jah mek it I nah concern fi petty tings like a skating be serious. Sizzla 30 an mi ankles ah 75. I nah skate fi serious.
I an I haff nah white god

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1913 on: August 23, 2022, 07:48:36 AM »
Could one use a seam ripper to remove the patches easily? I like the green Old Skools, but ya, not my style.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1914 on: August 23, 2022, 12:05:47 PM »
My opinion is that there's no way board sizes will circle back to 7.5-7.75 whatever.
Seems like people can do the most insane tech moves on everything between 8 to 9 just fine.
It makes total sense to think the trend will go down again, but I'd bet money it more or less just stays at 8.25-8.75

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #1915 on: August 23, 2022, 12:19:37 PM »
If you mean 7.5-7.75 will never be the most popular size again then yeah probably right but there's definatly a decent amount of people who still ride them. I'd agree tho and think about 8.25 will probably be the most common board size for a long while if not forever

d.passarella

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1916 on: August 23, 2022, 07:40:09 PM »
fakie bigspins if done correctly (slightly popping and following the rotation with the foot like with a fake impossible) are cool as shit

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1917 on: August 24, 2022, 07:25:04 AM »
Cross lock looks better than heel lock. It’s even sicker if the board contorts when it’s pinched in. Long live cross lock.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #1918 on: August 24, 2022, 08:19:03 AM »
fakie bigspins if done correctly (slightly popping and following the rotation with the foot like with a fake impossible) are cool as shit

Zimmi dat mon inna Walking Dead him do deez irie
I an I haff nah white god

switchfakie

« Reply #1919 on: August 24, 2022, 09:59:29 AM »
Cross lock looks better than heel lock. It’s even sicker if the board contorts when it’s pinched in. Long live cross lock.

what state are you from? im from Pennsylvania and have never heard anybody think that heel locks were cooler than cross lock.

heel locks are disgusting