Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 364202 times)

dallou

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
    • Music avatar image
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #3120 on: May 06, 2024, 12:11:23 PM »
Expand Quote
i don't mind the crob special intro. it's kinda the signature and i'm cool with it. i prefer kelly's laughs because it lightens the mood and feels more friendly. also despite most comments here, i think crob is a good interviewer. tends to ask good questions aside from pushing on anything controversial. i think he just has to walk a fine line because he's too close to the industry. honestly, i like when he asks questions about money too. it's interesting how different skaters get paid in various eras, etc. it shows how it fluctuates SO much. the bunt is ok. i feel like they're more surface level but can ask the harder hitting questions bc they have no industry ties so they can get away with it. y'all can come for me with this take. i dont care.
[close]

Of course you don't care, you're anonymous. Opinions take on a different meaning when you back it with your real identity.

Anyway, this thread is about "Voting with your opinion" - be it a thumbs up or a thumbs down. If someone else says you're right or wrong, it doesn't matter, since you've already voted one way. 

Even if this was all like movie review ratings, where "rotten tomatoes" gave TNC a score of 20%, YouTube likes vs dislikes gave it 75%, etc. would any of it matter?  I'm a fan of the thumb up / thumb down button, because that ratio tends to speak for itself without the need to go into why. 

It must be super confusing to be a content creator and reading through the comments "Ah good, this person says I'm good at it", "Ah damn. This person says I'm not.".  Even if there were constructive criticism it probably mostly gets thrown out in favor of "Well, at least my view count is where I want it. If no one watched and it was the best thing ever, would that be the only failure?"

"I like it", "I don't like it", "I kinda like it", it's all the same. Someone told me they hate Chocolate (the food not the brand) and there's nothing they could ever say that would make me not like it.

</rant>

What was the last skate video you loved ?
check my music

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3121 on: May 06, 2024, 12:14:20 PM »
I went to a funeral over the weekend and maybe this will inspire someone...

The guy's wife gave a speech about all his favorite things and what he had contributed in life.  Some of it were things that people didn't like while he was alive (certain opinions for example). Anyway, the vibe and applause by everyone in the entire place was nothing but one of respect for living his authentic life. Too many people won't put themselves out there for fear of some people not liking it.

The people you'd want at your funeral are all who matter in the end. Think about what you want said about you. I guarantee no one will be like "He should have liked X instead of Y", it's too late at that point for debate and there's a real acceptance of you.

Unless the person that died was a hateful bigot. I doubt anyone at hitlers funeral thought "man I respect him for being his true self"

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1971
« Reply #3122 on: May 06, 2024, 12:17:42 PM »

The guy's wife gave a speech about all his favorite things and what he had contributed in life.  Some of it were things that people didn't like while he was alive (certain opinions for example). Anyway, the vibe and applause by everyone in the entire place was nothing but one of respect for living his authentic life. Too many people won't put themselves out there for fear of some people not liking it.

The people you'd want at your funeral are all who matter in the end. Think about what you want said about you. I guarantee no one will be like "He should have liked X instead of Y", it's too late at that point for debate and there's a real acceptance of you.

this is what you think about when someone you know dies?!

rkulla

« Reply #3123 on: May 06, 2024, 12:18:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i don't mind the crob special intro. it's kinda the signature and i'm cool with it. i prefer kelly's laughs because it lightens the mood and feels more friendly. also despite most comments here, i think crob is a good interviewer. tends to ask good questions aside from pushing on anything controversial. i think he just has to walk a fine line because he's too close to the industry. honestly, i like when he asks questions about money too. it's interesting how different skaters get paid in various eras, etc. it shows how it fluctuates SO much. the bunt is ok. i feel like they're more surface level but can ask the harder hitting questions bc they have no industry ties so they can get away with it. y'all can come for me with this take. i dont care.
[close]

Of course you don't care, you're anonymous. Opinions take on a different meaning when you back it with your real identity.

Anyway, this thread is about "Voting with your opinion" - be it a thumbs up or a thumbs down. If someone else says you're right or wrong, it doesn't matter, since you've already voted one way. 

Even if this was all like movie review ratings, where "rotten tomatoes" gave TNC a score of 20%, YouTube likes vs dislikes gave it 75%, etc. would any of it matter?  I'm a fan of the thumb up / thumb down button, because that ratio tends to speak for itself without the need to go into why. 

It must be super confusing to be a content creator and reading through the comments "Ah good, this person says I'm good at it", "Ah damn. This person says I'm not.".  Even if there were constructive criticism it probably mostly gets thrown out in favor of "Well, at least my view count is where I want it. If no one watched and it was the best thing ever, would that be the only failure?"

"I like it", "I don't like it", "I kinda like it", it's all the same. Someone told me they hate Chocolate (the food not the brand) and there's nothing they could ever say that would make me not like it.

</rant>
[close]

What was the last skate video you loved ?

Emerica - "THIS"

rkulla

« Reply #3124 on: May 06, 2024, 12:18:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Unless the person that died was a hateful bigot. I doubt anyone at hitlers funeral thought "man I respect him for being his true self"

I figured that went without saying...

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #3125 on: May 06, 2024, 12:31:03 PM »
Am I SLAP'ing wrong again? The usual way just looks so boring.
There’s literally thousands of other threads on here
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

rkulla

« Reply #3126 on: May 06, 2024, 12:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I find most of those boring since after 4 decades of skating (and not being in the industry) you already know your favorite board set up, style/skaters, don't care about who went to where usually or other things out of your control.   When I'm injured I like the topics with other people with same injury, that's about it.   At least this one is about something I watch/interact with multiple times per week. I get misc skate news elsewhere (skateline, nine club live, IG)

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3127 on: May 06, 2024, 12:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I find most of those boring since after 4 decades of skating (and not being in the industry) you already know your favorite board set up, style/skaters, don't care about who went to where usually or other things out of your control.   When I'm injured I like the topics with other people with same injury, that's about it.   At least this one is about something I watch/interact with multiple times per week. I get misc skate news elsewhere (skateline, nine club live, IG)

I'm so confused, all the topics covered on ncl are posted here before they are talking about them on the live show. Everything you are consuming there is posted here first.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3128 on: May 06, 2024, 12:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

We have a thread about wiping your butt, do you do that?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1272
« Reply #3129 on: May 06, 2024, 12:54:02 PM »
rkulla your mom just called and said you have to go home now

rkulla

« Reply #3130 on: May 06, 2024, 01:04:35 PM »

That joke was hilarious! You have such a great sense of humor.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #3131 on: May 06, 2024, 01:16:18 PM »
Running a bit late on my weekly Nine Club content.
Last Live episode with the Fulfill the dream watch was pretty dope. A lot of old shortys heads and other pros chiming in via live chat gave some depth and reach to whatever crob and co had to say. Also, catching Felix Arguelles (and Kenny) with both hands down the front of his pants in the background of Muska's epic Canadian demo crooks with boombox and bag was jokes!

I hope Tyrone Olson's in a better place now because some of his business back in the days sounded sketchy as fuck and he could easily be locked up if destiny hadn't gone differently for him.

rkulla

« Reply #3132 on: May 06, 2024, 01:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh wait, it took me a while but I thought of a better come back: The Jerk store called; they're running out of you.

Oh yeahhhhhhh!

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3133 on: May 06, 2024, 01:33:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought it was funny. Now seriously, run along back to Villa VilleKulla. It’s meatloaf night.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 52
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #3134 on: May 06, 2024, 02:17:38 PM »
rkulla really leaning into his new bad boy gimmick

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3135 on: May 06, 2024, 02:21:07 PM »
Margie episode is cool

rkulla

« Reply #3136 on: May 06, 2024, 02:21:49 PM »

[Insert famous quotes about "kindness != weakness" and the like here].  Then we're getting at this threads essence. "Nice club", "toxic positivity", etc was already answered plenty of times on the show itself.  No one is pretending to be a saint, or above talking trash. There's just a time and a place for it.

citycity

• Rep: -103
« Reply #3137 on: May 06, 2024, 02:46:44 PM »
Rkulla I like you don’t listen to anyone here talking shit.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #3138 on: May 06, 2024, 02:53:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

[Insert famous quotes about "kindness != weakness" and the like here].  Then we're getting at this threads essence. "Nice club", "toxic positivity", etc was already answered plenty of times on the show itself.  No one is pretending to be a saint, or above talking trash. There's just a time and a place for it.

Can you point to a few instances of the nine club actually talking even a little trash? Their time and place must be when the cameras are all off. I'd love to see an example if you have any.

rkulla

« Reply #3139 on: May 06, 2024, 02:57:07 PM »

We're all just people with a devil on one shoulder and an angel in the other. Sometimes you gotta hear them both out to realize which one is making more sense.

Brotherly Shuvit

• Rep: -13
« Reply #3140 on: May 06, 2024, 02:59:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We're all just people with a devil on one shoulder and an angel in the other. Sometimes you gotta hear them both out to realize which one is making more sense.

When’s the devil gonna let you post in another thread?

rkulla

« Reply #3141 on: May 06, 2024, 03:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Can you point to a few instances of the nine club actually talking even a little trash? Their time and place must be when the cameras are all off. I'd love to see an example if you have any.

My point was more that they don't usually talk trash about specific peole on the show because it wouldn't benefit anyone to do so but they certainly trash talk random things.  "Budget or Buttery" is their most famous segment about the nicest guy in the world telling you what he thinks is budget.  Chris always says what he doesn't like about skating, tricks/videos, etc.

I think some people are just expecting an HBO drama version of the show vs a mass appeal version.  Maybe if they got picked up by Sirius they could.. who knows..

rkulla

« Reply #3142 on: May 06, 2024, 03:02:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When’s the devil gonna let you post in another thread?

I already covered that today.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #3143 on: May 06, 2024, 03:10:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

My point was more that they don't usually talk trash about specific peole on the show because it wouldn't benefit anyone to do so but they certainly trash talk random things.  "Budget or Buttery" is their most famous segment about the nicest guy in the world telling you what he thinks is budget.  Chris always says what he doesn't like about skating, tricks/videos, etc.

I think some people are just expecting an HBO drama version of the show vs a mass appeal version.  Maybe if they got picked up by Sirius they could.. who knows..

I personally don't have any skin in this game. I was just curious if you had any examples of them talking trash off the top of your head. Personally, I find it entertaining/fascinating that you take time out of your day to come on here and defend them with such vigor.

rkulla

« Reply #3144 on: May 06, 2024, 03:23:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I personally don't have any skin in this game. I was just curious if you had any examples of them talking trash off the top of your head. Personally, I find it entertaining/fascinating that you take time out of your day to come on here and defend them with such vigor.

I don't even feel like I'm defending them, although I guess I am but don't want to since I could be misrepresenting what they actually feel so it's not really my place. It's more that if I was good enough to be a standup comic, I'd totally be the guy interacting with the hecklers. Just having fun.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #3145 on: May 06, 2024, 03:55:48 PM »
Rkula is on his Kanye character arc
check my music

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #3146 on: May 06, 2024, 05:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't even feel like I'm defending them, although I guess I am but don't want to since I could be misrepresenting what they actually feel so it's not really my place. It's more that if I was good enough to be a standup comic, I'd totally be the guy interacting with the hecklers. Just having fun.

Oh for sure dude. Lots of people write out nervously-wordy comments to defend The Nine Club in their free time for fun.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #3147 on: May 06, 2024, 05:27:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh for sure dude. Lots of people write out nervously-wordy comments to defend The Nine Club in their free time for fun.

Might just be a crazy coincidence but I, too, nervously tithe 10% of my paycheck back to the nine club

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #3148 on: May 06, 2024, 07:01:06 PM »
I’m all for live and let live, so I could care less what dude is doing or spending his hard earned American dollars on, however i find his toxic positivity wack, his takes aabout as milquetoast as “TNC”, and the fact he has no opinions or thoughts about skateboarding outside a YouTube talk show extremely strange
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

rkulla

« Reply #3149 on: May 06, 2024, 07:24:52 PM »
I’m all for live and let live, so I could care less what dude is doing or spending his hard earned American dollars on, however i find his toxic positivity wack, his takes aabout as milquetoast as “TNC”, and the fact he has no opinions or thoughts about skateboarding outside a YouTube talk show extremely strange

So does this mean I've never had a negative opinion about SLAP? I'm confused.