Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 248266 times)

Bizarro Jerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #1530 on: October 05, 2019, 08:18:25 PM »
Having an undergrad degree is about as useful as having a g.e.d. in today's climate so idk what he thinks his literature degree is worth. either way sick skating and I like his last section with the verso lines and what have you

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1531 on: October 05, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
Has he ever boasted about his degree or is everyone making shit up?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:53:58 PM by VHS ERA »

C Dash Money

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1532 on: October 05, 2019, 10:56:49 PM »
does he really only have a B.A.? lol. Everyone who has studied literature knows that a bachelor's is useless. Or nearly so. Since such a big deal has been made of him being a literature student I assumed he had a PhD.

Also, did anyone else find the switch front fifty front big out an odd choice? On that layered ledge thing in NYC.

Loved the part. All the squeaks from ledge slides get me hyped to skate.

Glurmpz

« Reply #1533 on: October 06, 2019, 12:34:26 AM »
Expand Quote
People on here act like music isn’t subjective. Did you want him to just pick a song that you personally liked? It worked with the skating, which is the point. This and the people who critique clothes from a skate part... Jesus.
[close]
thank you, I find it so funny that everyone's excited about a re-edit like there's this magical song thats going to appease everyone

For me it's more about wanting to see a solo video part that's not 11 minutes long. We showed it to a friend who hadn't seen it tonight and it felt an hour long to me after already seeing it twice (he also thought it was too long). Absolutely amazing skating, but it could be slimmed down to 5 minutes. I didn't like any of the music but I could handle it in a shorter edit.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -92
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1534 on: October 06, 2019, 02:35:30 AM »
Has he ever boasted about his degree or is everyone making shit up?

Everyone’s making shit up. Dude had like one video 2 years ago where he mentions going to school once.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
  • dog stuff
« Reply #1535 on: October 06, 2019, 02:48:41 AM »
Expand Quote
People on here act like music isn’t subjective. Did you want him to just pick a song that you personally liked? It worked with the skating, which is the point. This and the people who critique clothes from a skate part... Jesus.
[close]
thank you, I find it so funny that everyone's excited about a re-edit like there's this magical song thats going to appease everyone

There is one and it's supposed to drop today

jimstolz

• Rep: -82
« Reply #1536 on: October 06, 2019, 02:58:14 AM »
Didn't read the entire thread but I'm sure its been said, but never has such amazing skateboarding been so unappealing to me.

I feel you man
Fuck Beirut

John Florence

« Reply #1537 on: October 06, 2019, 04:38:49 AM »
Mark Suciu might be the best skateboarder on the planet.
Mark Suciu is very smart but not enough to adapt his choice of words to his audience, might be slightly autistic.
Mark Suciu has no taste in music, probably struggles to read his own feelings, let alone other people's feelings.
Mark Suciu has no spontaneity and suffers from it.
Mark Suciu still might be the best skateboarder on the planet.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1538 on: October 06, 2019, 06:27:05 AM »
came a long way from skating with aaron kyro

What a find

« Reply #1539 on: October 06, 2019, 06:57:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Got it covered

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 07:00:37 AM by What a find »

Ocelot

« Reply #1540 on: October 06, 2019, 07:13:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm reading through his interview. Dude rips, no mistaking, but I fucking hate hearing people who can make a good living skateboarding say they stopped because they were"uninspired."

Sorry, but fuck off, Mark.

So many of us (extremely) less talented skateboarders would give pretty much anything to even have the opportunity to take a step back. I get being your best self and all that, but it comes off pretentious when you have an incredible level of "it" and then talk about just wanting to not do it. I've been lucky enough to be able go to college and grad school, but I graduated with a degree from both in knowing how to not sound so much like a douche.
[close]

In fairness, I think he’s still living under the assumption that an English degree equates to a good paying job outside of skating and that he has options.
[close]

lol, that's bitter dude
[close]

Not really. I think a lot of kids go into college thinking they will graduate and get a good paying job because that’s quite literally what every adult tells you is going to happen. Then you graduate and you realize the average annual income for a person with a bachelors in English is like 45k a year.

I watched something with him in it where he alluded to the idea that he was going to have more options after he graduated.

Social media was a mistake

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1541 on: October 06, 2019, 07:59:01 AM »
Such a dope part!

He really did a number on blubba and the pyramid ledges. Didn't realize his switch flip bs tail was gapped out past the skatestopper upon first viewing. Also with all the other tricks he did on blubba, I think it's pretty easy to overlook how crazy that fs blunt pop-out was before getting to the kink.

Looking forward to the other part Mark puts out at the end of the year as well as his footage from the recent Thrasher plaza trip.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:43:10 PM by Sidewalk Funk. »

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #1542 on: October 06, 2019, 09:44:32 AM »
Sw 5050 sw front big in the pyramid ledge seemed out it place but maybe he was givint a nod to Fabiana Delfino 
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #1543 on: October 06, 2019, 09:48:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm reading through his interview. Dude rips, no mistaking, but I fucking hate hearing people who can make a good living skateboarding say they stopped because they were"uninspired."

So many of us (extremely) less talented skateboarders would give pretty much anything to even have the opportunity to take a step back. I get being your best self and all that, but it comes off pretentious when you have an incredible level of "it" and then talk about just wanting to not do it. I've been lucky enough to be able go to college and grad school, but I graduated with a degree from both in knowing how to not sound so much like a douche.
[close]

In fairness, I think he’s still living under the assumption that an English degree equates to a good paying job outside of skating and that he has options.
[close]

lol, that's bitter dude
[close]

Not really. I think a lot of kids go into college thinking they will graduate and get a good paying job because that’s quite literally what every adult tells you is going to happen. Then you graduate and you realize the average annual income for a person with a bachelors in English is like 45k a year.

I watched something with him in it where he alluded to the idea that he was going to have more options after he graduated.

He will have more options...most companies employ people with college degrees...even google said they don’t care but I’ve heard that they do indeed look at your educational background.

High school grads have opportunities too but you get more with a college degree

Education is always a better long term investment because it’s a public good that promotes prosperity

But then again most pro skaters are high school dropouts so i guess it depends on your industry

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1544 on: October 06, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »
I found this so boring.  Can’t deny his talent, just overall a chore to watch the entire thing.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #1545 on: October 06, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

lol, that's bitter dude
[close]

[close]

He will have more options...most companies employ people with college degrees...even google said they don’t care but I’ve heard that they do indeed look at your educational background.

High school grads have opportunities too but you get more with a college degree

Education is always a better long term investment because it’s a public good that promotes prosperity

But then again most pro skaters are high school dropouts so i guess it depends on your industry

You’re taking it out of context.

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1546 on: October 06, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »
Much of the response to Mark's approach reminded me of this:

At 2:15.

"...looks like we got ourselves a reader..."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:27:03 AM by DotGuru »

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
« Reply #1547 on: October 06, 2019, 10:32:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember in some interview he wanted the adidas part to initially have “Objects I’d my affection” by Peter Björn and John. Used in some b roll 8mm in some Enjoi bonus, I’d still enjoy seeing this happen. 96 quite bitter beings will work for now.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1971
« Reply #1548 on: October 06, 2019, 10:42:42 AM »

Music is the go-to criticism when all other reasons to hate on a part fail.

jimstolz

« Reply #1549 on: October 06, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »
lol so you're invoking Bill Hicks whose over the top smugness and tendency to punch down at the working man / lower class or whoever else he determines to be the other he does not approve of tends to be a little uhhh... well I don't know how to say this. It fits. This guy is the perfect dude to bring up for the whole Verso debate.

A dude who gee golly... was a bit of a fucking tryhard sometimes?

Leaving a few of his bits dated and way more neckbeardy than we remember them being?

Perfect. So Slap.

DotGuru

« Reply #1550 on: October 06, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
There's a debate?

Why don't we just leave a little bit of room for intellectuals? Or is that not allowed?

mds

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1551 on: October 06, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »
amazing part, might be my favorite part i ve ever seen

Ocelot

« Reply #1552 on: October 06, 2019, 11:54:57 AM »

the irony is that I wouldn't even call suciu "a reader" judging by what he has posted on IG before

that video you posted too is the epitome of low-bar midwit humour, an entire existence based off of the dehumanisation of every person who you deem beneath you by societal metrics.

this notion that intellectualism is somehow banned or taboo in skateboarding is just so regular, it's also part of the larger problem of adults failing to find areas of interest/expertise in anything but skateboarding, a yearning for some semblance of intellectual satisfaction through an art form that needs to be contorted to eldritch levels in presentation for that need to be fulfilled.

We get it, you love skateboarding, you want it to be something more, something profoundly smart that it justifies your existence.

Let skateboarding be skateboarding

I'd pretty much wager a bet too that more NYU/Columbia post-grads can kickflip than high school dropouts in NYC

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
« Reply #1553 on: October 06, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »
Such a dope part!

He really did a number on blubba and the pyramid ledges. Didn't realize his switch flip bs tail was gapped out past the skatestopper upon first viewing. Also with all the other tricks he did on blubba, I think it's pretty easy to overlook how crazy that fs blunt pop-out was before getting to the kink.

Looking forward to the other part Mark puts out at the end of the year as well as his footage from the recent Thrasher plaza trip. This dude is going to be SOTY.

The skatestopper is on the other ledge.  He gapped out halfway, but not to get over the skatestopper.

DotGuru

« Reply #1554 on: October 06, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Such a dope part!

Looking forward to the other part Mark puts out at the end of the year as well as his footage from the recent Thrasher plaza trip. This dude is going to be SOTY.
[close]

The skatestopper is on the other ledge.  He gapped out halfway, but not to get over the skatestopper.

The camera flash here illuminates the skatestopper. You'll see it:
https://youtu.be/SlcxbZbHTj8?t=517

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
« Reply #1555 on: October 06, 2019, 12:06:25 PM »
Weird - yeah, I'm rereading his interview and saw the photo with the skatestopper too so they must have been filmed at different times.  Sorry about that.

DotGuru

« Reply #1556 on: October 06, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the irony is that I wouldn't even call suciu "a reader" judging by what he has posted on IG before

that video you posted too is the epitome of low-bar midwit humour, an entire existence based off of the dehumanisation of every person who you deem beneath you by societal metrics.

this notion that intellectualism is somehow banned or taboo in skateboarding is just so regular, it's also part of the larger problem of adults failing to find areas of interest/expertise in anything but skateboarding, a yearning for some semblance of intellectual satisfaction through an art form that needs to be contorted to eldritch levels in presentation for that need to be fulfilled.

We get it, you love skateboarding, you want it to be something more, something profoundly smart that it justifies your existence.

Let skateboarding be skateboarding

I'd pretty much wager a bet too that more NYU/Columbia post-grads can kickflip than high school dropouts in NYC

I said it "reminds me" of the video. I didn't say that I was Bill Hicks and that I agree with him fully.
I don't want skateboarding to be anything in particular.
It is different things to different people.
Mark seems to want it to be this thing.
Can't we let that be?

That is all.

My main beef with this thread is that 99% of the "haters" are simply jealous. As others have pointed out, they can't trash talk the skating, so they pick the music. Or they pick the intellectual undercurrents. Or the editing (as if he edited it himself). It is okay to let yourself be stoked.

jimstolz

« Reply #1557 on: October 06, 2019, 12:12:41 PM »
bro. I don't like Beirut. I think Mark can be a bit of a twat. This does not mean I am not stoked on the part and the amazing skating documented. Jeeeeeez man

I AIN'T GOT THE EDJAMAKATION TO ARGUE THIS GOOD
OK
I JUST CALLS IT LIKE I SEES IT
and
I don't see very well

Speakr

• Rep: 61
« Reply #1558 on: October 06, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »
I liked this. Then I watched it again. And I still like it. Will be put on repeat a lot.

jimstolz

« Reply #1559 on: October 06, 2019, 12:24:32 PM »
Yup. The part is fuckin' sick. Just because Beirut sucks doesn't mean I won't watch this a bunch.