Author Topic: Looking into buying a video camera  (Read 3379 times)

Kitto Horsley

Looking into buying a video camera
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »
Wasn't sure where to put this thread, but hear seemed the best place.

Pretty much I'm looking at getting a video camera and would really appreciate some advice/help.  I'd love to get a VX-1 but they seem to be almost impossible to get across hear in the U.K.

I don't mind spending a reasonible amount has I can see myself using it often and for a long time.

Like i said any help welcome.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:55:05 AM by Kitto »

Spitfire4life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Re: Looking into buying a video camera
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »
Vx is rare here in america too. You can get one on ebay, but shipping's probably gonna be costly
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

ontheswarm

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »
I had a vx 1 mk 1 and it is an amazing set up. I was in love with the way all my clips turned out and everyone elses. But if you do find one be prepared to take care of it. No watching footage on the camera EVER. That was pretty annoying to take out the tape every land and make sure it came out good. If not having to put it back and start over. And you have to clean the heads to make sure there will be no glitching. Failure on my part was a pretty much a whole tape glitched and 6 or 7 good clips lost.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:59:58 PM »
If you want to film SD your main options are the VX series (VX1 looks the best IMO but is more prone to breaking). However the VX2s are better at night and have an LCD. The fisheye youd want is a century "mk1". Check craigslist in your area or skateperception.com for one. I don't know much about HD cameras but if you wanna go that route i guess you could look at some DSLRs.

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
Cheers for the advice guys much appreciated.

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »
I found this http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105429450/panasonic-video-camera.html

Is it worth it or am i just being a whistful palace fan boy?

Spitfire4life

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »
I had a vx 1 mk 1 and it is an amazing set up. I was in love with the way all my clips turned out and everyone elses. But if you do find one be prepared to take care of it. No watching footage on the camera EVER. That was pretty annoying to take out the tape every land and make sure it came out good. If not having to put it back and start over. And you have to clean the heads to make sure there will be no glitching. Failure on my part was a pretty much a whole tape glitched and 6 or 7 good clips lost.

What do you mean take out the tape and watch it?

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 01:14:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You dont watch the footage you filmed on a VX, it'll ruin the heads.

You take it out and watch it on a capture cam:

You have to preserve the condition of the VX. it's old and brittle.

I got mine fixed from Kerry at Video Electronics like 4 times. Shit isn't cheap.

That reminds me, i have to see if my vx works. Havent turned it in on in months
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 08:15:44 PM »
VX isn't worth the risk unless you are really into filming.

Just spend the money and get something that has a valid warranty.

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
If your not going to buy VX, I'd recommend buying a t3i with an external mic. Super easy to use and look great.

Spitfire4life

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I got mine fixed from Kerry at Video Electronics like 4 times. Shit isn't cheap.

And thats just the VX 1?

ontheswarm

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
And thats just the VX 1?
You should do it with a vx 2 or vx21 also. It preserves the heads so you don't have to clean them so often and the footage doesn't glitch.

rly

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
AYO GOT SOME TIPS FOR YOU SON.

VX1 - Da bes, all 'yo fav filmers' use it (if you have good taste, ya know) and the audio is really something lovely. If you can get your hands on one, albeit with some $ spent on shipping, go for it - but, make sure you query the seller about servicing etc.

So much of the decision process depends on how much money you are willing to spend, and the risks you want to take in terms of much older, but more desired, cameras.

The panasonic DVX100 is another option, century make a lense for it (not cheap), and if you're looking for resale value/using it for other types of film work it's a bit more useful. The DVX also has an 'hour meter', so you can check how long it has been recording for, rather than guesswork with the sony cameras.

From memory, Opteka were making lenses similar to the century ones for the sony series for a while; they weren't the same quality, but they were a fuuuuckload cheaper. Use the search function on skateperception.com, you might have some luck.

I haven't mentioned HD, because:
1.) It sucks
2.) See 1.

And as Tate mentioned, whatever you buy (if you're using tapes, anyway) make sure you use a capture camera. It'll preserve the life of your camera heads and save you heapa cash.

Also, use the same brand of tapes all the time! Different brand=different types of head lubrication (lol),= expensy maintenance.

Gizza PM if you've got any more questions and I'll dream up some semi-accurate answers.

ontheswarm

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 01:14:38 AM »
AYO GOT SOME TIPS FOR YOU SON.

VX1 - Da bes, all 'yo fav filmers' use it (if you have good taste, ya know) and the audio is really something lovely. If you can get your hands on one, albeit with some $ spent on shipping, go for it - but, make sure you query the seller about servicing etc.

So much of the decision process depends on how much money you are willing to spend, and the risks you want to take in terms of much older, but more desired, cameras.

The panasonic DVX100 is another option, century make a lense for it (not cheap), and if you're looking for resale value/using it for other types of film work it's a bit more useful. The DVX also has an 'hour meter', so you can check how long it has been recording for, rather than guesswork with the sony cameras.

From memory, Opteka were making lenses similar to the century ones for the sony series for a while; they weren't the same quality, but they were a fuuuuckload cheaper. Use the search function on skateperception.com, you might have some luck.

I haven't mentioned HD, because:
1.) It sucks
2.) See 1.

And as Tate mentioned, whatever you buy (if you're using tapes, anyway) make sure you use a capture camera. It'll preserve the life of your camera heads and save you heapa cash.

Also, use the same brand of tapes all the time! Different brand=different types of head lubrication (lol),= expensy maintenance.
Gizza PM if you've got any more questions and I'll dream up some semi-accurate answers.

one of the most important things I just remembered about

arnold schwarzenegger

• Rep: -4
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
as said above, if you plan to film skateboarding only - i'd get a vx.

if you plan to also shoot photo's and wanna work more creative - get a dslr (550d/600d are cheap and good) when purchasing a dslr, also keep an eye out on other lenses/accessoires. it will add up on the price

tommyjohn

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 07:30:19 AM »
I have a DVX100 and MKII fisheye for sale. If interested, I can always post pictures.