Author Topic: Bob Burnquist | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 162  (Read 7865 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Bob Burnquist | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 162
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:02:08 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 739
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
Re: Bob Burnquist | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 162
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 03:41:00 AM »
Chris Hansen, where you at?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »
Some interesting stuff about the mega ramp and stuff but mostly just contest talk, really didn’t need to be 4 fuckin hours

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:30:39 AM »
did he talk about the most reliable skateboard moment of all time? The grand canyon jump

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 09:33:33 AM »
I wonder if Danny regrets coming up to Bob like that in that contest since it’s what inevitably got him to get pumped to film that gnarly Extremely Sorry part.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »
I wonder if Danny regrets coming up to Bob like that in that contest since it’s what inevitably got him to get pumped to film that gnarly Extremely Sorry part.
Next Slap Pals Questions with… Danny Way?

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:40:02 AM »
Whats the story with Danny?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 09:41:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

2:42:35

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 09:46:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Next Slap Pals Questions with… Danny Way?

Nah

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Danny approached Bob at a contest to prevent him from going after a switch 50-50, because that's what he wanted to do. Bob had a cool story about Danny spotting him 30 grand early on, so it's clearly just contest shit.

I don't listen normally, but it was pretty good. I got over the weed business and Olympics chat at the end, but the first couple of hours were full of Bob weaving stories about Anti Hero, the loop, the Grand Canyon, etc.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »
I swear, the more stories I hear about Danny Way, the more I think he's a fucking douche bag. Great skateboarder, but a fucking prick.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
I swear, the more stories I hear about Danny Way, the more I think he's a fucking douche bag. Great skateboarder, but a fucking prick.

What got you thinking that way? The switch 50/50 story or the alleged accessory to a hate crime culminating in murder?

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What got you thinking that way? The switch 50/50 story or the alleged accessory to a hate crime culminating in murder?

It's weak as fuck to keep bringing up something that's been as thoroughly debunked as many times as that "danny way helped kill a guy" story.

That story about the switch 50 (& Bob's subsequent response) was hilarious. Bob and Danny are clearly both nuts & hyper competitive. Big surprise.

Glurmpz

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 09:10:08 PM »
During one of the Slam City Jam contests (2000?) I was filming on the course as usual when I had an interaction with Bob that left a lasting impression.
I was also riding for Globe at the time, and my TM gave me a huge wad of stickers he wanted me to plaster on the obstacles while I was out there filming. I didn't want to do that at all, but at one point he was literally in the stands stink eyeing me, so I pulled one out and slapped in on the ledge with the 10,000 other stickers plastered all over it.
Enter Bob. He comes from behind me and rips the sticker off angrily, saying something along the lines of "Get the fuck out of here man! So lame! Where's your pass?!", and stormed off looking quite pissed. About 2 other filmers standing there thought it was as ridiculous as I did and we all just laughed, which Bob noticed as he walked away, so he yelled a few insults as he kept walking. So strange. Over a sticker, amongst a sea of stickers. My TM watched it go down from the stands and had a good laugh at my expense later.

I'm gonna find out where Bob's place is in Vista and start covertly placing Globe stickers on his ramps at night. 20 years later.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 10:16:21 PM »
in all fairness, globe is wack as fuck...

nah that is pretty wack. i saw him at a hurley demo back in the day at the park i grew up skating. there was a 12 foot ramp there that nobody ever really skated at all, mainly because it was a bit corroded and soggy with random holes everywhere. we would all just play skate on the flat bottom but, that was about it. the rest of the team skated the street course for an hour or two and then at the end everyone walked over to the ramp to watch bob skate. he fucking killed it way beyond what anyone imagined, especially for how shitty of a condition that ramp was in. afterward he was sitting in the back of the van with his shirt off trying to cool down while a million kids were swarming him for autographs. i was standing about 10 feet away smoking a cigarette and he asked me to “please get that thing away from me” i didn’t really take offense to it, it was a hot day in texas and the dude just skated really hard so i’m sure he was exhausted and trying to catch his breath but, it was kind of weird. i can definitely see him being a bit dickish but, either way he’s still a legend.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Glurmpz

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »

I agree, and I missed out on so many rad shoes by riding for Globe and then... Osiris. Ouch. Got swooned by big boxes and the offer to go on the Aftermath tour.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned on slap yet but I saw in the comments of this nine club episode that someone asked gonz’ wife if he would go on the nine club and he responded with something along the lines of yeah but he hasn’t been asked yet. Just odd that they haven’t at least tried reaching out to film what could be one of their best episodes.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 11:40:12 PM »
It was.....an okay listen. I expected better actually, i found my thoughts wandering away from listening to some of these stories, it was alright though.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Artvandeskate

• Rep: -15
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 11:43:05 PM »
I went into this not really excited to listen but it ended up being a really good episode

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 12:16:18 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned on slap yet but I saw in the comments of this nine club episode that someone asked gonz’ wife if he would go on the nine club and he responded with something along the lines of yeah but he hasn’t been asked yet. Just odd that they haven’t at least tried reaching out to film what could be one of their best episodes.

I can think of nothing I want to hear less than Mark Gonzalez talking for hours.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

dmemz

• Rep: 26
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 06:52:44 AM »
I remember selecting him in THPS 1 (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater One) and picking up some weird vibes. I would soon migrate toward Geoff Rowley as my default/preferred skater.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »

you're wild if you think that would be a good episode.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »
I remember selecting him in THPS 1 (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater One) and picking up some weird vibes. I would soon migrate toward Geoff Rowley as my default/preferred skater.

I also picked him and he started yelling at me for not boosting his special meter fast enough.  Almost turned me off the game completely.  Fuckin kook
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
I wonder if there is a single skate nerd obsessed with early 2000s vert contests
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 04:27:13 PM »
I used him kinda often as I always tried to rack up vert points early and often.  Especially in the warehouse.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2270
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 05:31:48 PM »
Bob's cool because he had skate wife Jen Obrien for a bit,and they both ripped. I doubt his new wife skates so whatev.

There was an insane amount of contest talk and I'm half way through this...do they get into his organic farm or weed talk at all?

I never chose Bob on THPS because he was on Hurley,and I hated that company as a teen.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 07:03:57 PM »
I was at this pool hall watching the X Games where he did that fakie 5-0 flip out on the bar.   I uncontrollably let out this huge scream that scared the shit out of the whole place.  That's still to this day, one of the craziest things done on a skateboard. 

Bob Gnar rules

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 07:54:37 PM »

nah that is pretty wack. i saw him at a hurley demo back in the day at the park i grew up skating. there was a 12 foot ramp there that nobody ever really skated at all, mainly because it was a bit corroded and soggy with random holes everywhere. we would all just play skate on the flat bottom but, that was about it. the rest of the team skated the street course for an hour or two and then at the end everyone walked over to the ramp to watch bob skate. he fucking killed it way beyond what anyone imagined, especially for how shitty of a condition that ramp was in. afterward he was sitting in the back of the van with his shirt off trying to cool down while a million kids were swarming him for autographs. i was standing about 10 feet away smoking a cigarette and he asked me to “please get that thing away from me” i didn’t really take offense to it, it was a hot day in texas and the dude just skated really hard so i’m sure he was exhausted and trying to catch his breath but, it was kind of weird. i can definitely see him being a bit dickish but, either way he’s still a legend.

He mentions that he’s asthmatic in this episode.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 11:01:47 PM »
Low key the switch loop with the roof open is one of the gnarliest things evenr done on a board.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 12:06:50 AM »
These 3+ hour episodes need time stamps. I know it’s a bitch to do but it’s been a hassle to get through them all as of late. The muska episode lost me so many times due to me getting distracted/losing my spot so much so that I gave up on it.

Just my two cents, not taking away from the fact that everyone at the nine club works hard on these and for that I am thankful.

I'm sure this episode is littered with amazing stories. Bob is a legend. Fakie 5-0 fakie flip on that extended bar is still one of the craziest things ever done in a contest run.