Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 107914 times)

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1470 on: December 23, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »
Here’s my unpopular opinion:

People should stop putting so much emphasis on their truck set-ups and skate more.

Your trucks suck because you don’t skate enough to break them in and get used to them.

I get changing bushings... but freaking out because you might have the ‘wrong’ pivot cup ? Jesus...

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1471 on: December 23, 2020, 07:56:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Tim O'Connor has/had one of the best styles out there.
[close]

i'm actually a huge Tim O fan. Element Third Eye and World Tour are sick. And all the Habitat stuff. One of my faves
Tim is a top five style of mine. I didn't know there was anything controversial about his skating.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #1472 on: December 23, 2020, 08:01:53 AM »
Full dipped boards a fine.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #1473 on: December 23, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »
stop looking like a fucking kid out of a 8th grade french book while skating, meaning quit fucking dressing like you are in the 90s with your baggy light blue denim jeans and your stupid wallies and early grabs. that shit doesnt make you GOOD GOOD.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:10:25 AM by fs180 »

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1474 on: December 23, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »

Following this up, I wish they would make a come back.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #1475 on: December 23, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »

People should stop putting so much emphasis on their truck set-ups and skate more.

Your trucks suck because you don’t skate enough to break them in and get used to them.

I get changing bushings... but freaking out because you might have the ‘wrong’ pivot cup ? Jesus...
Same with wheelbase etc. IMO

Sure there are minimal changes but if you actually just skate you can get used to them. No, your flip tricks are shit because you got a 14.25 instead of a 14.38 wheelbase it's because you are just a bitch trying to look for excuses

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1476 on: December 23, 2020, 10:01:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure there are minimal changes but if you actually just skate you can get used to them. No, your flip tricks are shit because you got a 14.25 instead of a 14.38 wheelbase it's because you are just a bitch trying to look for excuses
100% agree. i've been catching myself slowly getting caught up in this lately. i'm pretty new to skating and i really like hearing about all the technical aspects of set-ups but i've noticed myself looking for reasons i'm not riding like i want rather than just practicing more or forcing myself to get used to it. in my experience thus far decks are a more important nit-picky thing but not to the extent that trucks are.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1477 on: December 23, 2020, 10:25:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skating a dipped Hockey right now, and it's the best board I've had in years. Got another on deck.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tim O'Connor has/had one of the best styles out there.
[close]

i'm actually a huge Tim O fan. Element Third Eye and World Tour are sick. And all the Habitat stuff. One of my faves
[close]
Tim is a top five style of mine. I didn't know there was anything controversial about his skating.

I think people get bummed on his persona and let it overtake their opinions on his skating  , but yeah, great style and amazing pop.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1478 on: December 23, 2020, 10:35:43 AM »

Haha I switched from thunders to venture because  of mr. Worrest. I thought I was gonna just "get" all the switch flip action I could handle... 1st day I was like holy shit they don't turn. Like total melt down. Kept skating them and yea they turn fine and Obvs not switch flipping but ya kno practice. So yea totally agree.
Whoa. Danger.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1479 on: December 23, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »
West coast rap and even hip hop are quite bad compared to the East Coast. I grew up in the Bay Area and just can't believe the shit that was popular here.

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #1480 on: December 23, 2020, 01:22:13 PM »
Too $hort is pretty sick, same with Del.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

slutbang666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1481 on: December 23, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »

I love this. I finally realized skating once a week and getting older has a lot more to do with my skating than my trucks.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1482 on: December 23, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »
West coast rap and even hip hop are quite bad compared to the East Coast. I grew up in the Bay Area and just can't believe the shit that was popular here.

i’m from the east coast and mac dre is better than mobb deep

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #1483 on: December 23, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i’m from the east coast and mac dre is better than mobb deep
Ah the ol' grass is greener thing.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #1484 on: December 23, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Imo wheelbase is more important than width.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #1485 on: December 23, 2020, 04:54:48 PM »

You don't like to get hyphy?

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #1486 on: December 23, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »
Cyberpunk aside...it was a pretty good year for videogames.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #1487 on: December 23, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »
stop looking like a fucking kid out of a 8th grade french book while skating, meaning quit fucking dressing like you are in the 90s with your baggy light blue denim jeans and your stupid wallies and early grabs. that shit doesnt make you GOOD GOOD.
stop giving a fuck about what other people look like when they skate, just go skate. It's not that deep.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Hombreezy

« Reply #1488 on: December 23, 2020, 07:40:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
stop giving a fuck about what other people look like when they skate, just go skate. It's not that deep.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1489 on: December 23, 2020, 09:55:37 PM »
I fucking hate those go fast and do nothing type of skaters that will snake you at the park just to do ugly ass ollies over hip with Aidan hands.

Transition guys that dont have even basic flatground tricks are equal or worse than "flatground" skaters who can barely rock to fakie.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #1490 on: December 23, 2020, 10:30:55 PM »
Zwan > Smashing Pumpkins

Brguy

« Reply #1491 on: December 24, 2020, 12:04:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
For sure, wheelbase dictates how far you have to kick your board and it can be really annoying to get used to. Sure you can learn to skate whatever, but in this case it's better to just go with whatever is comfortable. Blaming the setup is a pussy move no matter what, though.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1492 on: December 24, 2020, 12:26:56 AM »
Zwan > Smashing Pumpkins

please elaborate

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1493 on: December 24, 2020, 01:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
For sure, wheelbase dictates how far you have to kick your board and it can be really annoying to get used to. Sure you can learn to skate whatever, but in this case it's better to just go with whatever is comfortable. Blaming the setup is a pussy move no matter what, though.
i don't know. i stopped worrying about wheelbase. personally i could never pinpoint differences in the ride due to it. probably should stick to shorter boards tho, since i am a short dude. to me it's all about how the tailpocket feels and that the width is comfortable. preferably 8.25 width but as long as it somewhat fits the trucks, it's all about feeling good on the shape for me. i hate standing on too flat boards, they also always feel longer to me than they are.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1494 on: December 24, 2020, 05:41:25 AM »
I fucking hate those go fast and do nothing type of skaters that will snake you at the park just to do ugly ass ollies over hip with Aidan hands.

Transition guys that dont have even basic flatground tricks are equal or worse than "flatground" skaters who can barely rock to fakie.

as a transition guy with p. much basic flat ground skills i’d agree, i hate a mobbed ass ollie. don’t get me started on early grabbers ughhhh

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #1495 on: December 24, 2020, 05:49:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
None of those factors are really important to me anymore.
I can switch between 7.75-9” decks and have no issues adjusting except for maybe the first ten minutes on a dif size board, but I think that could be because my skill level is not that high.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #1496 on: December 24, 2020, 06:06:53 AM »
I don’t like seeing people Ollie out of manual tricks. I’d rather just see them ride off the ledge.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #1497 on: December 24, 2020, 06:18:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had the full dipped Bobby quasi. I fuck with them.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #1498 on: December 24, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »
Maybe this covid-19 is a good thing for gatekeeeping the skate scene, hear me out condensing and consolidating the "core" brands will kill off the whack brands. 

Brands that need to go and or wouldn't be missed
Plan B
Grizzly
Thank You
Braille
Remive
Enjoi
Bronson
DGK
Darkstar
Consolidated
Loser Machine
Shake Junt
JK Industries
Birdhouse

As you can tell there's some questionable brands and some riders could stay but the brand could be poof gone and I wouldn't give a shit.
Dueces Bitch's

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #1499 on: December 24, 2020, 09:59:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Zwan > Smashing Pumpkins
[close]

please elaborate

Smashing pumpkins have some good stuff, but a LOT of bad stuff. The only album they did as Zwan was good. Better track record for me, in my (unpopular) opinion.