Author Topic: Move over Supreme. $1400 Mama Skate pants are in town.  (Read 64360 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Move over Supreme. $1400 Mama Skate pants are in town.
« Reply #930 on: August 23, 2023, 04:39:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Regardless of how you feel about her, the fact that people need to resort to gofundmes in this country for healthcare costs is so fucked up.
[close]

Best economy in the world and it can't even afford a model resembling free healthcare for its citizens. What a joke lmao
[close]
Don't think there's many countries that just give away free ACL surgeries. 
[close]

It's not technically "free", but when I'm in the hospital I pay a fixed 25 euro per day rate regardless of whether I'm laying in bed or being operated on. All procedures included. And a couple of physio visits afterwards.
And what's the waiting time/chances you'll ever actually get surgery?
Australia isn't as good as many places with it's free healthcare (altho still better than many others) and I've known many people (and been one myself) who are just on an endless waiting list for surgery and have had to find a way to take care of it privately or figure out a way to live without it. Even still with something like an ACL the options for free surgery may not involve something that can get you skateboarding etc and just be something that can get you able to work again.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #931 on: August 23, 2023, 05:43:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Regardless of how you feel about her, the fact that people need to resort to gofundmes in this country for healthcare costs is so fucked up.
[close]

Best economy in the world and it can't even afford a model resembling free healthcare for its citizens. What a joke lmao
[close]
[close]

It's not technically "free", but when I'm in the hospital I pay a fixed 25 euro per day rate regardless of whether I'm laying in bed or being operated on. All procedures included. And a couple of physio visits afterwards.
[close]
Australia isn't as good as many places with it's free healthcare (altho still better than many others) and I've known many people (and been one myself) who are just on an endless waiting list for surgery and have had to find a way to take care of it privately or figure out a way to live without it. Even still with something like an ACL the options for free surgery may not involve something that can get you skateboarding etc and just be something that can get you able to work again.
I'm not an expert and I have no recent experience myself, but in general it's been getting a lot shittier in the recent years. There are definitely a lot of people waiting in queue. Sometimes in those situations the government will give you a voucher for private healthcare, but I'm not sure how common that is.

There's also this wage gap thing now that people who have good jobs usually also get employer-provided private healthcare. In some of my past jobs I was basically able to walk to an MRI and say beam me up and not have to pay anything. That's how I know I have a bulging disc that doesn't really affect me.

But even still, if I would go to the private side to get ACL surgery, the cost is to my knowledge 2500-4000 euros. If you have medical insurance, you pay the deductible which is 150-500 euros. So this example of having insurance and still having to pay $20,000 on top sound cuckoo-bananas. But I guess that 20k is for the LA-physio 3x per week for a year, which equals to 128 per visit which is not a totally unreasonable price maybe?
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -144
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #932 on: August 23, 2023, 10:48:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
I'm not an expert and I have no recent experience myself, but in general it's been getting a lot shittier in the recent years. There are definitely a lot of people waiting in queue. Sometimes in those situations the government will give you a voucher for private healthcare, but I'm not sure how common that is.

There's also this wage gap thing now that people who have good jobs usually also get employer-provided private healthcare. In some of my past jobs I was basically able to walk to an MRI and say beam me up and not have to pay anything. That's how I know I have a bulging disc that doesn't really affect me.

But even still, if I would go to the private side to get ACL surgery, the cost is to my knowledge 2500-4000 euros. If you have medical insurance, you pay the deductible which is 150-500 euros. So this example of having insurance and still having to pay $20,000 on top sound cuckoo-bananas. But I guess that 20k is for the LA-physio 3x per week for a year, which equals to 128 per visit which is not a totally unreasonable price maybe?

My comment wasn't necessarily about the specific instance of an ACL surgery but rather the state of the US healthcare system at large. It's absolutely egregious that the US is still caught behind in their model of healthcare when other similarly adjacent countries have proven a mixed model economy with universal healthcare has proven quite successful.

When the argument "how long do u have to wait tho durrr" comes up, people are usually referring to the bad wait times in Canada. However, it's important to note that the Canadian healthcare has its own complete set of problems (defunding of public healthcare, monopoly on pharmacies, low pay for healthcare staff, pandemic). All these contribute to the slow lag in the Canadian healthcare that otherwise would be fine if public healthcare was properly equipped. It's also important to realize that Canadian healthcare is done on a provinical/state level, so there's going to be big variation between locations.

It's just upsetting because common conservative rhetoric is to blame poor people and immigrants socially and politically for things like crime, onlyfans, when realistically, the cost of living is so enormously high people sometimes HAVE to resort to these things. This isn't a defence on criminal activity, but just an observation of the hypocritical logic of blaming someone for selling weed when it costs three to four digits for every visit to the doctor.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #933 on: August 23, 2023, 12:25:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

My comment wasn't necessarily about the specific instance of an ACL surgery but rather the state of the US healthcare system at large. It's absolutely egregious that the US is still caught behind in their model of healthcare when other similarly adjacent countries have proven a mixed model economy with universal healthcare has proven quite successful.

When the argument "how long do u have to wait tho durrr" comes up, people are usually referring to the bad wait times in Canada. However, it's important to note that the Canadian healthcare has its own complete set of problems (defunding of public healthcare, monopoly on pharmacies, low pay for healthcare staff, pandemic). All these contribute to the slow lag in the Canadian healthcare that otherwise would be fine if public healthcare was properly equipped. It's also important to realize that Canadian healthcare is done on a provinical/state level, so there's going to be big variation between locations.

It's just upsetting because common conservative rhetoric is to blame poor people and immigrants socially and politically for things like crime, onlyfans, when realistically, the cost of living is so enormously high people sometimes HAVE to resort to these things. This isn't a defence on criminal activity, but just an observation of the hypocritical logic of blaming someone for selling weed when it costs three to four digits for every visit to the doctor.
I get that, and I took it to specifics as an example but of course it applies across the board. But it seems to me that especially after covid the heathcare has taken a beating in many other civilized countries as well, so the long waits might be more universal now as well.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #934 on: August 23, 2023, 03:12:54 PM »
do you feel like countries’ public healthcare is getting jammed up on purpose bc people in power see how good the cash flow is in the US and want to get their hands on it but know they can’t just reverse course now?

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #935 on: August 23, 2023, 05:11:38 PM »
Isn’t It ironic/karmic it’s a knee injury after all the thieving she did from children & their parents selling $1400 pants …I find it so

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #936 on: August 23, 2023, 05:31:47 PM »
Well… I tried to care.
I tried to empathize.
But I gotta be honest: I just can’t.
Not even a pic of her posterior could move me to the least bit of compassion.
I’m sure this is probably an indicator of poor character on my part, but after the whole $1,400. pants debacle, I’m left wondering why she don’t just move more units?
Unless, of course, they were just plain ol’ “Greco Pants” masquerading as haute couture, in which case, “…I feel sorry for your mother.”

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

changed1

« Reply #937 on: August 23, 2023, 06:58:59 PM »
Isn’t It ironic/karmic it’s a knee injury after all the thieving she did from children & their parents selling $1400 pants …I find it so
“Thieving”
Ok you fucking pussy

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #938 on: August 23, 2023, 08:36:06 PM »
I'm about to get ACL surgery too and it's still crazy expensive with insurance.
I'm guessing if it's a fund for $20,000, she does not have health insurance, which is weird since she seems to be making money. Is she still with the skate goat guy? I feel like Cariuma should be stepping in right about now.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #939 on: August 23, 2023, 09:36:19 PM »
I'm guessing if it's a fund for $20,000, she does not have health insurance, which is weird since she seems to be making money. Is she still with the skate goat guy? I feel like Cariuma should be stepping in right about now.

I thought she had insurance and that the $20,000 are actually a third of the total, at least that's what she says in the GoFundMe, can it be that much?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #940 on: August 23, 2023, 09:44:47 PM »

Looks like she’s been skating/rocking Nikes lately. So I’m guessing she and GOAT broke up and Cariuma left her too.

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #941 on: August 24, 2023, 03:04:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks like she’s been skating/rocking Nikes lately. So I’m guessing she and GOAT broke up and Cariuma left her too.

Venice Beach locals in shambles right now.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #942 on: August 24, 2023, 05:13:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Here youll get an ACL surgery for free and from a top notch doctor but you might wait a few months. if you choose on going the private route, a great private insurance wont cost more than 50$ a month (when the cheaper ones are about 20$ and still cover alot) and youll get to choose a doctor and wont have to wait alot. with the basic insurance youll get a minimum of 12 physical therapy sessions for free and after that you can get subsidized sessions (about 20$) by your clinic but you might have to wait and wont get the best PT you can get as a skater. if you want to go private to a great sports PT with some insurances youll get a heavy discount when you file the receipts with your healthcare provider.
 it is possible.

do you feel like countries’ public healthcare is getting jammed up on purpose bc people in power see how good the cash flow is in the US and want to get their hands on it but know they can’t just reverse course now?
and definitely yes. our right wing government is always aspiring to privatize everything. they know how much money is flowing and they want a piece.
 im a public healthcare system worker and we definitely feel like were being "pushed" out of the system to go private, wages are not very good and everything is chronically under staffed, the burnout is real and living here is expensive anyway. its a lot easier privatizing everything when the system is clogged and broken. 

Lethatefillyourheart

• Rep: 12
« Reply #943 on: August 24, 2023, 05:20:18 AM »
Hey guys! Jumped off a loading dock and broke my knees, could you please foot the bill?! Much appreciated 😘

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #944 on: August 24, 2023, 05:25:31 AM »

Yes, of course. People like to toss around the term “neoliberal” a little too loosely, but what you describe there is literally neoliberalization - taking a public good and selling off its component parts to for-profit enterprises. This is often accomplished by starving the system of money until it is at or near collapse, then presenting privatization as the only way to salvage the system.

This is exactly what has happened to the healthcare systems in both Canada and the UK, with the explicit goal of turning said systems into something much more profitable for private owners, such as we have in the US.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

ThomasShitt

« Reply #945 on: August 24, 2023, 06:11:10 AM »
Hey guys! Jumped off a loading dock and broke my knees, could you please foot the bill?! Much appreciated 😘

yep

have fun paying this girls rent while she hangs out at the beach in a knee brace. serious lack of accountability here

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #946 on: August 24, 2023, 06:37:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yep

have fun paying this girls rent while she hangs out at the beach in a knee brace. serious lack of accountability here

The video is awful, just a complete kook slam from someone who looks like they've never skated before. She never even tried - just jumped off at 2 mph and kicked her board away, squished her knees together, and let the ACL absorb the blow. The clip looked no different than one of those videos you see of some drunk idiot attempting a stunt on the street at night. I cannot imagine posting a clip like this while asking for money; I’d carry this shame to my grave.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 06:46:32 AM by manysnakes »

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #947 on: August 24, 2023, 07:11:03 AM »
imagine blowing out your knee in your mother's pantalones
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

LloydBrün

• Rep: 14
« Reply #948 on: August 24, 2023, 07:21:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I got my ACL reconstructed by the NHS here in Scotland in almost 10 years ago and didn't have to pay a penny. 
Admittedly it was frustrating having to wait 6 weeks between assessments,  then another 6 weeks for the MRI, 6 weeks for the results of said MRI, then another couple months before I got to go under the knife. 

I went back for a follow up assessment 6 months later and my surgeon has switched to the private health sector... make of that what you will.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #949 on: August 24, 2023, 07:42:43 AM »
Seeing a go fund me with a picture of someone chilling on the beach with a few tin's of beer when I'm on a work break, after sweating my ass off for the last 7 hours straight, really makes me want to donate.

caked

• Rep: -11
« Reply #950 on: August 24, 2023, 07:47:01 AM »
I used to work in medical insurance and billing at an outpatient surgery center. did lots of knee surgery estimates, with and without insurance.

she must have incredibly shitty sham insurance, or doesn't have any at all. self-pay quotes for knee surgeries were regularly $50k+ between the surgeon, the facility, and the anesthesia fees. so I believe that $60k figure, but I don't believe she actually has insurance. usually if you have health insurance, your out of pocket max responsibility for the year is like 10-20k depending on the plan.

most hospitals will let people apply for financial assistance and approve you if you're below the poverty line. doubt that's the case here though.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #951 on: August 24, 2023, 07:51:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I got my ACL reconstructed by the NHS here in Scotland in almost 10 years ago and didn't have to pay a penny. 
Admittedly it was frustrating having to wait 6 weeks between assessments,  then another 6 weeks for the MRI, 6 weeks for the results of said MRI, then another couple months before I got to go under the knife. 

I went back for a follow up assessment 6 months later and my surgeon has switched to the private health sector... make of that what you will.
Sorry for your experience, I'm in the US and I still had to wait 3 months to see a doctor under my insurance because every one of them is over booked. Then another month to look at the MRI, then another 3 weeks to meet a surgeon.
All 8 months after the first doctor told me my knee was fine, but the ACL was gone all along.
I have a good job and good insurance. The US has an insanely broken system.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #952 on: August 24, 2023, 08:20:55 AM »
I pay for my insurance in the U.S. and still have a 3 month wait to get a rheumatoid arthritis test, also haven't hit my deductible for the year so it basically hasn't helped at all

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #953 on: August 24, 2023, 08:45:46 AM »
The year I got sick and was eventually diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, I ended up spending 20% of my yearly income on healthcare in addition to the money I paid for insurance through my employer.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #954 on: August 24, 2023, 10:21:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Just for a frame of reference, I live in the US and this is the exact same cadence at which I have received care. I have some cartilage in my knee so I had my first consult in mid-May. I had an X-ray on my knee and opposite ankle during the visit. The doc then ordered an MRI which I had 2 weeks later. I followed up with the doctor in late June after the first visit and he told me about the cartilage and referred me to another specialist. I saw the specialist in late July and my procedure is early September. I pay $400 a month through my employer and my deductible is 4K annually.

My point in bringing up is that US for profit healthcare is all 3 things you don't want your from classic cheap, good, fast triangle but all at the same time. That's how disastrous it is.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #955 on: August 24, 2023, 11:07:48 AM »
Seeing a go fund me with a picture of someone chilling on the beach with a few tin's of beer when I'm on a work break, after sweating my ass off for the last 7 hours straight, really makes me want to donate.

Uninsured skaters hucking big shit in this economy is irresponsible. Asking for followers to take care of the costs is god tier IDGAF-ery

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #956 on: August 24, 2023, 03:04:49 PM »
Most skate-related go fund me’s are the equivalent of the classmate in high school who wants to “borrow” a dollar everyday for soda from the vending machine, but never thinks to bring a dollar everyday for said soda.

Anyway, good luck Mama Skate!

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #957 on: August 24, 2023, 04:05:24 PM »
Not the same thing, and I completely agree that the insurance system in the US is complete bullshit, but this smells like a scam. Most insurance plans have an out of pocket total for the year and they're typically nowhere near $20k. I had a kind of shitty high deductible plan and my out of pocket max was $5k. Broke my ankle bad last year, had to have surgery and do a ton of PT. I put the $5k up front for the surgery and then didn't have to pay anything after that. All of my Dr visits and PT were completely paid for after I put up the $5k. Yeah it's a shitty system but $20k seems like a load of shit. She's always been a scammer so what's another scam for her?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #958 on: August 25, 2023, 02:02:36 AM »
Reading all you guys has given me a new appreciation for the French healthcare system. over the years I had 4 meniscus surgeries, shoulder surgery, wrist surgery, so I'd probably be totally bankrupt if I lived in the US (or rather my parents would be, as most of these injuries happened before I became independent, when I was young) .... Never had to face long waiting lists either.

As for the gofundme.....I remember reading this before.

"The interview goes on to state she has a new Benz and a fully paid for house at 26"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 02:15:11 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #959 on: August 25, 2023, 02:22:05 AM »
simp money
easy money