Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 214054 times)

clintendo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2580 on: February 14, 2023, 07:01:11 PM »
What's the best venture truck for skating purely transition, and will it be as good as Indy?

Brimo's covered most of it, but got a housemate who is now riding Venture, he basically said that once your wear the truck in they're great for grinding and control on transition.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #2581 on: February 14, 2023, 07:38:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for sharing that IgnitionXVenture video @Mbrimson88 I never saw that one. It’s going on my replay/get stoked to skate list. I’m fired up now.
[close]

Yeah for sure.

Made me go looking for more of that crew, but there is not a whole lot out there, so it seems.

Nick Tyrrell insta link anyway:

Yeah thanks man, that vid was sick.

Don't know if you've seen this but the guy who filmed that vid has this channel, got some pretty cool vids of those guys.

https://www.youtube.com/@brendonhupp

I still really want to try some venture trucks one day, just for something new.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2582 on: February 14, 2023, 07:51:44 PM »
I've been skating the Vans skate line for awhile and want to switch it up but I hate super thin soles like old sole tech vulcs. Was thinking about blazers but wanted some other input, anyone have any recommendations?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2583 on: February 14, 2023, 08:58:06 PM »
NB 272 or 440, maybe LRAB with a different insole? I dunno I don't have fond memories of Blazers.

Jogging José

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #2584 on: February 15, 2023, 12:15:06 AM »
Has anybody tried the Paris street trucks? Searched for them, apparently they come from the same factory as ACE AF1 trucks but no one posted about riding them yet.

I consider buying them for a cruiser setup, they're 43% off at titus:

https://www.titus.at/paris-achse-149mm-street-silver-0121202/

My Gf had the 129 Paris on her Arbor Cruiser. I didn‘t like the turn and replaced them with Royals (newer IKP ones). The Paris Trucks are now on my Daughters board.

You are from Vienna, right? If you want to check them out in person feel free to dm me (like a man) - I am in the second district…

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #2585 on: February 15, 2023, 06:33:32 AM »
Been a while since I've bought Converse CONS. Do they still fit a half size big across the board, and is the CX insole a big improvement from the Zoom Air insole? Last time I got them it had the Zoom Air insole and I absolutely hated the shoe.

Sizing is pretty much the same, and the CX is so much better than the Zoom. I do 1/2 down for OneStars and Jack Purcells, Full size down for CTAS.

The CX is thicker (not popcush thick, but thicker) and more responsive. I fucking hated the zoom insoles so much.

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #2586 on: February 15, 2023, 11:58:50 AM »
Expand Quote
What's the best venture truck for skating purely transition, and will it be as good as Indy?
[close]

Brimo's covered most of it, but got a housemate who is now riding Venture, he basically said that once your wear the truck in they're great for grinding and control on transition.

I made the switch to Venture from Indy a couple years ago and I love them. But mostly do ledge skating, and mini ramp skating here and there.

I moved recently to an area where there are almost no ledges tho and all the parks around here mainly have bowls and big banks/QPs so my Ventures and my skating have had a little rough time adjusting. I personally feel like they dont grind that well, or can hold long grinds that well, across coping. Turn is a little slower too. But im sure if you already have solid transition skills it wont be hard to adjust, especially once they have been broken in.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2587 on: February 15, 2023, 01:44:07 PM »
I always default to watching Manderson not seem to notice any grind issues once he switched or Bobby Worrest smashing through Pulaski with no wax.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2588 on: February 15, 2023, 03:06:40 PM »
I always default to watching Manderson not seem to notice any grind issues once he switched or Bobby Worrest smashing through Pulaski with no wax.
this!!! i find it's easier to stay locked in grinds with Ventures even tho it feels slower than other brands like Ace. Never had issues holding a long crook or falling into a noseslide from crook position whereas with Aces, it never feels like I can sit properly in the crook

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2589 on: February 15, 2023, 09:24:06 PM »

Yeah thanks man, that vid was sick.

Don't know if you've seen this but the guy who filmed that vid has this channel, got some pretty cool vids of those guys.

https://www.youtube.com/@brendonhupp

I still really want to try some venture trucks one day, just for something new.

Definitely added to the "To view when I can" list.

Thanks!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2590 on: February 16, 2023, 05:22:04 AM »
Anyone get pain above their knee, behind the cap after skating for a bit?  What's that shit all about.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2591 on: February 16, 2023, 06:25:29 AM »
Anyone get pain above their knee, behind the cap after skating for a bit?  What's that shit all about.

Possible "Runner's Knee". I developed an awful case in the middle of a week-long bicycle tour back in 2013, and I am still dealing with occasional flair-ups from it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2592 on: February 16, 2023, 09:00:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this!!! i find it's easier to stay locked in grinds with Ventures even tho it feels slower than other brands like Ace. Never had issues holding a long crook or falling into a noseslide from crook position whereas with Aces, it never feels like I can sit properly in the crook

as a crooked enthusiast, i can confirm that with Aces you need to adjust (coming from Indy)
and i think i heard good things about the way ventures pinch

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2593 on: February 16, 2023, 09:09:37 AM »

Is the back of the leg or inside the knee?

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2594 on: February 16, 2023, 09:46:40 AM »
Can someone who’s tried lots of different wheels tell me what wheel slides the best. My assumption is F4 101A’s

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #2595 on: February 16, 2023, 10:02:53 AM »
Can someone who’s tried lots of different wheels tell me what wheel slides the best. My assumption is F4 101A’s

The 99s slide better TBH. Especially if you're in the screets. I've been told 101s are better in a smooth park but here (Philly) the 99s slide way better at my usual shitty spots.

Second place was NFG (RIP) 103b. Those slid really well, even on crust.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #2596 on: February 16, 2023, 10:30:50 AM »

For me it's either spitfire f4 99a or bones stf 103a. Both super slidey, while the f4 99a are much nicer/smoother to ride

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #2597 on: February 16, 2023, 10:37:32 AM »

i'd say your assumption is correct. F4 99a is more predictable and controlled slide though.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2598 on: February 16, 2023, 10:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'd say your assumption is correct. F4 99a is more predictable and controlled slide though.

Exactly. For me it felt like they both require the same amount of force to break into a slide but the 101s slipped out much easier while the 99s are really easy to control. That and a bunch of other reasons made me stick with the F4 99s.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #2599 on: February 16, 2023, 11:03:26 AM »
How do you clean your grip tape knife? I have a small pocket knife for cutting the grip but it’s sticky now from use. 

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #2600 on: February 16, 2023, 11:04:49 AM »
How do you clean your grip tape knife? I have a small pocket knife for cutting the grip but it’s sticky now from use.

GooGone. Props to you for using a reusable knife. I switched to disposable blades and can't quit them.

eSK3

« Reply #2601 on: February 16, 2023, 11:05:17 AM »
Acetone or 90% rubbing alcohol will get it clean asf

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #2602 on: February 16, 2023, 11:29:38 AM »
Might want to try vegetable oil if the knife is sticky because of residue from the gluey side of grip. Put some oil on a sponge to clean the blade with it.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2603 on: February 17, 2023, 04:41:07 PM »
is there anyway to get around truck squeeks without taking the kingpin nut off? when i first got the trucks i put a bunch of wax in them to stop it but not its squeeking again, if i take the nut off its not going back on.

will oil slip through the cracks and stop it?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #2604 on: February 17, 2023, 04:46:27 PM »
is there anyway to get around truck squeeks without taking the kingpin nut off? when i first got the trucks i put a bunch of wax in them to stop it but not its squeeking again, if i take the nut off its not going back on.

will oil slip through the cracks and stop it?

penetrating oil will work its way into the threads around a seized nut or bolt so it would easily get into the pivot cup or whatever it's called, but i feel like sometihng like silicone spray would work better because penetrating oil might destroy the little rubber bushing in the pivot cup
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2605 on: February 17, 2023, 05:20:29 PM »
Get oil that has a tube. Most pivot cups have enough play to shift the nub enough to drop a drop in each side. You could do the same with the bushings. You will get lube squirting out so take care of that. Sewing machine and gun oil often come in small tubes with really pointy tips.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2606 on: February 17, 2023, 06:08:43 PM »
Anybody use 3 in 1 oil?  I use it for my bearings, I bet it would work on pivot cups too

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2607 on: February 17, 2023, 07:44:58 PM »
the oil worked like a charm, complete silence now

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #2608 on: February 18, 2023, 06:19:34 PM »
Ok… if I remember correctly there is a video / video part that used the Killer Mike Reagan song… I especially remember the part “RONALD WILSON REAGAN 666” I’ve scoured the internet and can find nothing… any idea?

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2609 on: February 18, 2023, 06:22:38 PM »
Has anybody tried the Paris street trucks? Searched for them, apparently they come from the same factory as ACE AF1 trucks but no one posted about riding them yet.

I consider buying them for a cruiser setup, they're 43% off at titus:

https://www.titus.at/paris-achse-149mm-street-silver-0121202/

They turn pretty nicely but they use a longboard (0.6" height) sized bushing for the roadside bushing.  Feel good on a cruiser, would not recommend for anything more serious.