Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 214263 times)

eviltgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2610 on: February 18, 2023, 06:23:28 PM »
How does the standard hockey shape compare to the standard polar shape? I know the hickey will have a much more full nose and tail but how do the kick angles compare?

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #2611 on: February 19, 2023, 08:30:10 AM »
Ok… if I remember correctly there is a video / video part that used the Killer Mike Reagan song… I especially remember the part “RONALD WILSON REAGAN 666” I’ve scoured the internet and can find nothing… any idea?

It was an Al Davis GX part and I think it is scrubbed.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #2612 on: February 19, 2023, 08:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Ok… if I remember correctly there is a video / video part that used the Killer Mike Reagan song… I especially remember the part “RONALD WILSON REAGAN 666” I’ve scoured the internet and can find nothing… any idea?
[close]

It was an Al Davis GX part and I think it is scrubbed.
At least I know I’m not nuts… thanks!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2613 on: February 19, 2023, 09:52:54 AM »
How does the standard hockey shape compare to the standard polar shape? I know the hickey will have a much more full nose and tail but how do the kick angles compare?

Couldn't be more different. Polars have large, classic popsicle shaped kicks where the tail is slightly pointier. The noses are long, but they kick up more mellow and the kick starts close to the front bolts. A Hockey Shape 1 has more flat and then a steep, square nose. The Hockey tails are also shorter and WB for every size is shorter.

Hockey 8.38: 14.18WB, 31.79
Polar 8.38: 14.38WB, 32.1

Hockey 8.5: 14.25, 31.9
Polar 8.5: 14.38, 32.2

Hockey has a Shape 2 now, but those are still shorter WB and overall length.

They're so different that if you really like one, you likely will hate the other.

roll_dog

« Reply #2614 on: February 19, 2023, 09:54:42 AM »

I got you, here's a Polar 8.625 with a standard Hockey 8.5

The Hockey is noticeably more square in the tail, but biggest difference is in the steepness of the kicks. I'll probably sell the Hockey tbh due to that.

Mall Grab Mike

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2615 on: February 19, 2023, 03:48:19 PM »
What is the deal with boogers in 2023? Still frowned upon? Tasty nose fruit? Stop if blood is involved?

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #2616 on: February 20, 2023, 03:53:24 AM »
Which sells more bloards Hockey or FA?

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2617 on: February 20, 2023, 08:23:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Couldn't be more different. Polars have large, classic popsicle shaped kicks where the tail is slightly pointier. The noses are long, but they kick up more mellow and the kick starts close to the front bolts. A Hockey Shape 1 has more flat and then a steep, square nose. The Hockey tails are also shorter and WB for every size is shorter.

Hockey 8.38: 14.18WB, 31.79
Polar 8.38: 14.38WB, 32.1

Hockey 8.5: 14.25, 31.9
Polar 8.5: 14.38, 32.2

Hockey has a Shape 2 now, but those are still shorter WB and overall length.

They're so different that if you really like one, you likely will hate the other.

Damn okay good to know.  I did like my polar board a fair amount, but I'm also pretty new so I'm wondering if its worth experimenting with something pretty different on the spectrum to see if I like the change.  Much to think about.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #2618 on: February 20, 2023, 08:43:54 AM »
Has anyone ever gotten shoes where the soles have hardened a bit? And if so, do they know if you can get them back some-what grippy again? Or are they doomed for eternity?

Not really neccesary really I know as I can skate other shoes etc etc. But I'm just going through some old shoes I stowed away and I'm deciding to skate through them rather than have them take up room.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2619 on: February 20, 2023, 10:44:57 AM »
Are those pangea  jeans dudes and people like Kevin bilyeu skate „small“ decks or do I think this because of their 2000‘s style?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:17:17 AM by SlapMcKracken »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2620 on: February 20, 2023, 11:07:11 AM »
Are those panga jeans dudes and people like Kevin bilyeu skate „small“ decks or do I think this because of their 2000‘s style?

Super thug chorus

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2621 on: February 20, 2023, 11:16:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Are those panga jeans dudes and people like Kevin bilyeu skate „small“ decks or do I think this because of their 2000‘s style?
[close]

Super thug chorus

What x100?
I mean when I see people who skate for pangea jeans I always wonder what deck size they skate.
They got that whole 2000 vibe and I wonder if their decks are 8“ or below too because of that

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2622 on: February 20, 2023, 11:22:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Super thug chorus
[close]

What x100?
I mean when I see people who skate for pangea jeans I always wonder what deck size they skate.
They got that whole 2000 vibe and I wonder if their decks are 8“ or below too because of that

Yeah I think some of those guys are riding small boards. 7.75-8.
It looks good to me, but…I would have thought it bizarre if in 1999 someone rocked up to the spot in the full Alva kit

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #2623 on: February 20, 2023, 11:28:05 AM »
Has anyone ever gotten shoes where the soles have hardened a bit? And if so, do they know if you can get them back some-what grippy again? Or are they doomed for eternity?

Not really neccesary really I know as I can skate other shoes etc etc. But I'm just going through some old shoes I stowed away and I'm deciding to skate through them rather than have them take up room.

Unless they’re like old old where the glues and foams are starting to crumble, you should be able to bring them back. Try just skating them a bit and seeing if the grip will take off the rind. Magic Eraser or fine sandpaper with some water can also work.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2624 on: February 20, 2023, 01:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Super thug chorus
[close]

What x100?
[close]

Yeah I think some of those guys are riding small boards. 7.75-8.
It looks good to me, but…I would have thought it bizarre if in 1999 someone rocked up to the spot in the full Alva kit

Yeah, I like it a lot. Sized down to an 8 now too.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #2625 on: February 20, 2023, 02:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Unless they’re like old old where the glues and foams are starting to crumble, you should be able to bring them back. Try just skating them a bit and seeing if the grip will take off the rind. Magic Eraser or fine sandpaper with some water can also work.

Safe! I was thinking sandpaper, but thought I'd check if there was alternatives. I'll give it a go soon.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2626 on: February 20, 2023, 02:42:05 PM »
Cheaper alternatives to shoo goo?

Most glue just gets too hard and sucks for flicking.
Here in Germany there’s shoe glue stuff and it says „elastic“. You think that’s worth to try? It’s a lot cheaper.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2627 on: February 20, 2023, 03:45:11 PM »

Here in Germany there’s shoe glue stuff and it says „elastic“. You think that’s worth to try? It’s a lot cheaper.

I don't know from the top of my head if that stuff is cheaper as Shoe Goo but I have good experiences with Ripcare shoe glue. I think it's also a German company. But that stuff is great. I usually put a thin layer on my shoes, smear them with a little wooden stick, sand them off a bit and then put a lighter over them to work them into the shoe.

I hope that all made sense, English isn't my first language.
I can also post photos of said shoe if ya want.
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2628 on: February 20, 2023, 05:25:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know from the top of my head if that stuff is cheaper as Shoe Goo but I have good experiences with Ripcare shoe glue. I think it's also a German company. But that stuff is great. I usually put a thin layer on my shoes, smear them with a little wooden stick, sand them off a bit and then put a lighter over them to work them into the shoe.

I hope that all made sense, English isn't my first language.
I can also post photos of said shoe if ya want.

I've been using E6000 as a replacement for Shoe Goo, cheaper and easier to find. It's less viscous than Shoe Goo and needs 2x as long to harden (at least 10 hours) and has the right amount of grip. Probably 75% the durability of Shoe Goo, I'll apply a layer on the flicking area every week or less, depending on how hard I've been skating.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2629 on: February 21, 2023, 01:35:33 AM »
Thanks!

I heard of ripcare. Will try it.
Will also try that cheap German glue stuff, cause it’s 10% of the price of shoo goo.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2630 on: February 21, 2023, 07:32:38 AM »
are Bones STF wheels lighter than F4s? they seem to be very light and plasticy feeling compared to the solidness of an F4.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2631 on: February 21, 2023, 09:29:19 AM »
are Bones STF wheels lighter than F4s? they seem to be very light and plasticy feeling compared to the solidness of an F4.

Never weighed them, but they feel lighter.  Also depends on the shape.  A V3 will be lighter than a conical or even a tablet because of the difference in material alone.

My question that doesn’t need a thread: what are the benefits of a heavier/heftier board for transition?  My friend and I mostly skate transition and he has a heavy wide turning board while mine is (intentionally) lighter with a quicker turn.  I know that generally people that skate transition have bigger heavier boards, but was wondering why that’s the case.  After a few attempts at getting used to a heavier board, my balance, confidence, and speed are noticeably better on my lighter setups.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #2632 on: February 21, 2023, 09:54:46 AM »
(soz not really about gear as such)
In the early 00s when pants got slimmer was there ever an ad that was a subway parody like somebody holding up their old baggy cargos but now wearing skinny jeans?

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2633 on: February 21, 2023, 10:35:19 AM »
(soz not really about gear as such)
In the early 00s when pants got slimmer was there ever an ad that was a subway parody like somebody holding up their old baggy cargos but now wearing skinny jeans?

I remember everyone that went hesh didn't want to reminisce about being fresh. I could see Big Brother doing something like that

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #2634 on: February 21, 2023, 04:27:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never weighed them, but they feel lighter.  Also depends on the shape.  A V3 will be lighter than a conical or even a tablet because of the difference in material alone.

My question that doesn’t need a thread: what are the benefits of a heavier/heftier board for transition?  My friend and I mostly skate transition and he has a heavy wide turning board while mine is (intentionally) lighter with a quicker turn.  I know that generally people that skate transition have bigger heavier boards, but was wondering why that’s the case.  After a few attempts at getting used to a heavier board, my balance, confidence, and speed are noticeably better on my lighter setups.

I've heard that the bigger the transition, the more slowed down all the movements of tricks have to be. I guess that's where the whole long and heavy board thing comes from? Larger moment of inertia

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2635 on: February 21, 2023, 05:20:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've heard that the bigger the transition, the more slowed down all the movements of tricks have to be. I guess that's where the whole long and heavy board thing comes from? Larger moment of inertia

It was interesting that some people have no issue with board weight when asked, whereas others are all about having something as light as they can, when skating transition (or anything really) but when Bucky said his new carbon fiber baseplate mod with ti axle Indy and flight board was almost too light, I am thinking there has got to be a certain point that you get to where things can go better with a little more weight.

Some of those old vert boards were like logs, so heavy and for some of those guys, they used that to their advantage, as it was just a big weight that kept momentum going, but for some of the tech wizards, they want a lighter setup that they can throw around and do whatever they want on the vert ramp or other places they skate (if any).

From that I guess it depends on what you prefer, with your individual skating, how you move and in turn how you throw your weight around (you and the board, pun intended) that will determine what setup works best for you.

From normal wood, to flight decks, from standard trucks to hollow, forged, ti axles, from big wide wheels to skinny side cut optoins, there are a lot of things that can be changed in or out to give a normal board some weight saving, or even weight creating in that regard.

If someone offers a board to ride, I will usually have a slight heft of it just to see how much it weighs, but I don't really consider weight an issue for my skating, whereas others always strive for the lightest board who I skate with.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #2636 on: February 21, 2023, 05:43:44 PM »
It’s not an issue until I think it is….I have certain tolerances which I try to avoid…

roll_dog

« Reply #2637 on: February 21, 2023, 06:00:24 PM »
I feel the standards are more stable, less twitchy.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2638 on: February 22, 2023, 07:45:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It was interesting that some people have no issue with board weight when asked, whereas others are all about having something as light as they can, when skating transition (or anything really) but when Bucky said his new carbon fiber baseplate mod with ti axle Indy and flight board was almost too light, I am thinking there has got to be a certain point that you get to where things can go better with a little more weight.

Some of those old vert boards were like logs, so heavy and for some of those guys, they used that to their advantage, as it was just a big weight that kept momentum going, but for some of the tech wizards, they want a lighter setup that they can throw around and do whatever they want on the vert ramp or other places they skate (if any).

From that I guess it depends on what you prefer, with your individual skating, how you move and in turn how you throw your weight around (you and the board, pun intended) that will determine what setup works best for you.

From normal wood, to flight decks, from standard trucks to hollow, forged, ti axles, from big wide wheels to skinny side cut optoins, there are a lot of things that can be changed in or out to give a normal board some weight saving, or even weight creating in that regard.

If someone offers a board to ride, I will usually have a slight heft of it just to see how much it weighs, but I don't really consider weight an issue for my skating, whereas others always strive for the lightest board who I skate with.

i personally cant stand super light completes. there is a certain weight i find perfect - my 8" with ventures standard feels like the perfect weight to me for doing flip tricks. my 9.125" setup with Ace 60s feels slightly too heavy. i took off the 58mm wheels and put on 54mm and it feels a lot better just being that much lower to the ground + tiniest bit lighter. it felt like the wheels were kinda getting in the way too. I probably could have done hollows on that setup but i kinda like it a bit heavier for this setup for doing grinds. i like the bit of extra weight for doing slappies too, it feels like you get a bit more feedback

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2639 on: February 22, 2023, 08:00:34 AM »
I think my main issue with getting used to heavy boards is that I feel like the board is taking me for a ride and I can’t really control it, the weight and momentum are deciding my fate.  But I guess people who are actually good at skating transition use this to their advantage.  I can grind just as far and long as my friend on uncoped lips, but when I try on his board the board doesn’t stop when I want it to and it looks like I’m slipping out when it’s actually like a rug was pulled from under me.  Makes sense now after typing that out though