Author Topic: Fallen Footwear  (Read 67293 times)

Jud Nestorkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
Re: Fallen Footwear
« Reply #300 on: April 14, 2016, 01:51:24 AM »
are there any pairs of fallens out rn that skate good
Slash's are one of my top 5 shoes of all time.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -290
« Reply #301 on: April 14, 2016, 02:50:49 AM »
There is a simple fact of the matter. If skateboarders only supported skater owned brands, those brands would make enough money to pay big name pros. That's obvious. The weird thing to me is that skateboarders don't understand how fucking amazing it is to have the option to support skater owned shit. You think tennis players get to buy tennis player made balls? Soccer players wearing soccer player owned shin guards? No. Skateboarding was a community and because no one else made the shit we wanted we made it ourselves, and when someone figured it out, like Independent, Sole Tech, Toy Machine, we bought their shit and so we built an industry. We created an economy by skaters and for skaters. Nothing else is like that! Now it's slipping away.

Within a few year that has just stopped mattering to huge amounts of skateboarders. I don't know why, I have some guesses. Regardless, if we, the skateboarding community, don't stop giving money to people who don't give a fuck about skateboarding, except as a revenue source, the world skateboarders created will end. We'll just buy our shit at malls and sports stores.

This generation was given a world of skater owned and operated opportunities and options, and they will have thrown it away because Dunks are cool. There is no justification of corporate owned bullshit that stops it from being sad to see it go.

My man.

To me skating is about the individual. It blows me away that so many skaters actually want to buy nike and look like every other clown out there. When was the last time you looked in the nike thread in shoes & gear? It's pretty sad to me that skaters are hyped on anything nike puts out. They are literally going to run out of colour ways and goofy pics to put on janoskis.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:03:06 AM by Suit Up! »

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #302 on: April 14, 2016, 04:36:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That Mike Sinclair thing is fucked up. Going from Dekline to nike...... man.....
[close]

Wasn't he the one tripping and making a big deal how Nike was poaching Blake to ride for them before Dekline folded yet he went with Nike too?

Weird times indeed.

Thank God Emerica still has a relatively cool image, Team, and Reynolds because if Emerica ever folds idk what i'd do. Can you imagine walking into a skate shop and only having to choose from Nike, Adidas, Cons and NB?

Yeah thats the irony of it all. A lot of these corporate brands dont need skateboarding, but their presence in skateboarding has caused skateboarding to need them. You can say a lot about skateboarding shoe brands like Vans, Etnies, DC, Circa, and other brands catering to snowboarding, motorcross, bmx, surf, etc; We all remember when skateboarding had its low points and downs in the 90s. These brands had to branch out into other areas to survive and in order to also make shoes for skateboarding. Nike, Adidas, Cons, and NB could survive even without having a presence in skateboarding, after all theres a bunch of other corporate shoe companies that dont bother with skateboarding, and I hope it stays that way.

Fallen was a skate shoe brand through and through. Its a bummer that it died but we can take this as a sign of things to come, and sometimes I really fear that we're entering an age of skateboarding where the kids dont even give a shit about the defending skateboarding from the corporate predators, from local skateshops to skater-owned shoe brands. I really dont care how good the Janoskis are or are not but I'm never ever putting a pair of them on my feet ever. And I frown everytime I hear a really good skateboarder's reasoning for getting NikeSBs is that "they're good shoes man." Cool that may be true, but there are also shoes by skater-owned brands that perform just as well, but its understandable that Nike has more money so the models that reach the consumers have a low percentage of shoes being defective, where as small brands have to do with inventory, thus ending up with people having stories of "this pair of shoes blew out within 2 hours of skating". I've had a pair of Reynolds 3 that had the vulc fall off on the 3rd day of skating, but all the pairs of Reynolds 3's and Hsu's I've had before that held up just as any normal skate shoe would. And the Emericas that Ive had since have been fine. Its unfortunate that sometimes these shoes reach the hands of the consumers who may be purchasing from a brand for the first time, and thus leaving them with a negative impression of the brand.

Anyways,

Grind King Rims

« Reply #303 on: April 14, 2016, 04:47:35 AM »
If nothing else, I hope Jamie is content that his post has rekindled the corporations vs skater owned discussion.

Never bought Nike in my life, but I'm guilty of buying converse and they're owned by Nike.

Stoked for those state shoes.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
« Reply #304 on: April 14, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That Mike Sinclair thing is fucked up. Going from Dekline to nike...... man.....
[close]

Wasn't he the one tripping and making a big deal how Nike was poaching Blake to ride for them before Dekline folded yet he went with Nike too?

Weird times indeed.

Thank God Emerica still has a relatively cool image, Team, and Reynolds because if Emerica ever folds idk what i'd do. Can you imagine walking into a skate shop and only having to choose from Nike, Adidas, Cons and NB?

Sadly in a couple of years.....

and..

BIRDO WAS RIGHT

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #305 on: April 14, 2016, 08:06:34 AM »

Coming to a welfare line near you.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #306 on: April 14, 2016, 08:14:57 AM »
^ also my favorite drinking game. anyone else a fan?

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #307 on: April 14, 2016, 08:48:32 AM »

tranny curb

• Rep: -52
« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2016, 09:11:08 AM »
Expand Quote
so nike has put a lot of money in skating and has hired pretty much everyone in the business and has thus made the industry dependent? it has now come to the point that if in an ideal world nike shut their skate program down all these people would go broke? well, it was their choice to ride for nike so personally i don't care at all about these guys' future (especially about ducebag definitions like AO) as they don't care for mine. its very simple: i can't skate if i look down on my feet and see the gay nike logo and i can't enjoy a skate vid if the riders are wearing nikes. and for someone who said that we should start calling nike skaters out - dude, its already happening. face to face
the bitches defending nike here are probably nike employees.
[close]

So now it's not only skaters against nike, it's skaters against skaters... Nice theory douche.

one of my good friends is antonio dureo. his family doesn't come from money to send him to skate in contests and go on skate trips across the US. nike has gone above and beyond for him as a flow rider paying for his trips to skate all over.  he busts his ass at a pool job all summer to make money and skates whenever he can.  according to you this makes him a bad person because of the shoes he wears?
Scott Bourne is the poor man's Maya Angelou.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2016, 09:35:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so nike has put a lot of money in skating and has hired pretty much everyone in the business and has thus made the industry dependent? it has now come to the point that if in an ideal world nike shut their skate program down all these people would go broke? well, it was their choice to ride for nike so personally i don't care at all about these guys' future (especially about ducebag definitions like AO) as they don't care for mine. its very simple: i can't skate if i look down on my feet and see the gay nike logo and i can't enjoy a skate vid if the riders are wearing nikes. and for someone who said that we should start calling nike skaters out - dude, its already happening. face to face
[close]

So now it's not only skaters against nike, it's skaters against skaters... Nice theory douche.
[close]

one of my good friends is antonio dureo. his family doesn't come from money to send him to skate in contests and go on skate trips across the US. nike has gone above and beyond for him as a flow rider paying for his trips to skate all over.  he busts his ass at a pool job all summer to make money and skates whenever he can.  according to you this makes him a bad person because of the shoes he wears?
I'm not the person you're talking to, but I wouldn't say it necessarily makes him a bad person. He just should understand the consequences of the sweet hook up he has.

It's not an easy situation to talk about honestly. If Nike SB came to me and offered me a high paying, full time job doing the kind of work I currently do for a corporate entity in an industry I couldn't care less about, I'd probably have trouble turning it down.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Charbroil

« Reply #310 on: April 14, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
Not positive but i think Tufty and Bob Reynolds had a hand in getting Sinclair to Nike.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -277
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #311 on: April 14, 2016, 10:22:42 AM »
The first issue of Thrasher featured Nike on the cover. They've been playing the long game and it's finally paid off.

True enough!

LifeHammered

• Rep: 53
« Reply #312 on: April 14, 2016, 10:56:16 AM »
Off topic but how long will it be until the companies who hold the money and power (nike SB) change the unwritten skateboard rules and start turning people pro?

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #313 on: April 14, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
It's sad to see another skater owned footwear brand fail. Unfortunately they failed to progress with their designs and quality.

For some reason I don't have as much as a problem with NB compared to Nike. They have great shoes that are aesthetically pleasing and they haven't bought their riders from other shoe companies. Seems like everyone they've added didn't have a shoe deal prior to being on NB.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

shit_for_brains

« Reply #314 on: April 14, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
I think the real reason people have a problem with Nike and not NB, Adidas, or Converse is because they're a bunch of hypocrites who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Charbroil

« Reply #315 on: April 14, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »
I think the real reason people have a problem with Nike and not NB, Adidas, or Converse is because they're a bunch of hypocrites who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

ZING  ;)

SHARPSHOOTER

• Bret Hart
« Reply #316 on: April 14, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »
It's sad to see another skater owned footwear brand fail. Unfortunately they failed to progress with their designs and quality.

For some reason I don't have as much as a problem with NB compared to Nike. They have great shoes that are aesthetically pleasing and they haven't bought their riders from other shoe companies. Seems like everyone they've added didn't have a shoe deal prior to being on NB.
Except New Balance pretends to be All-American, but 75% of their shoes are made overseas. Not to mention I just seen this article
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160412/07310334162/shoe-company-new-balance-says-us-govt-basically-offered-it-bribe-to-support-tpp.shtml

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You guys seem like SUUUUPER close friends
p-shuvs and v-flips

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2016, 01:06:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

hahaha! Anthony Durio is my best friend.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Bret Hart
« Reply #319 on: April 14, 2016, 01:20:54 PM »
Anthon Durango and I went to middle school together.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
« Reply #320 on: April 14, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
only person who ever looked particularly good in Nikes was Brent Achtley. And probably some people in the late 80's

tranny curb

• Rep: -52
« Reply #321 on: April 14, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
sorry for the typo..  guess our friendship is over...

[close]

[close]

Scott Bourne is the poor man's Maya Angelou.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2016, 02:00:49 PM »
only person who ever looked particularly good in Nikes was Brent Achtley. And probably some people in the late 80's

John Motta rocked the dunks better than anyone, even brent achtley...

(best part of all time)

SHARPSHOOTER

• Bret Hart
« Reply #323 on: April 14, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
What's this about Mike Sinclair working for Nike? That's fucked. That guy touts like he's core to the bone.

coneklr

« Reply #324 on: April 14, 2016, 02:19:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

(best part of all time)

Sorry guys I'm gonna have to disagree with you both ...

SHARPSHOOTER

• Bret Hart
« Reply #325 on: April 14, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

(best part of all time)
[close]

Can't forget Ishod, he fucking looks boss in dunks

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #326 on: April 14, 2016, 03:19:39 PM »
I like how this turned from Fallen Footwear closing its doors to who looks best in dunks.

That being said, Lewis will always be my #1 in that dept. Ishod is a close 2nd
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #327 on: April 14, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

(best part of all time)
[close]

I agree except he rocked them better here back when they still made mids. Popped tongue and a sideways strap mmmmm sexy lol.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2016, 03:20:42 PM »
Regarding the quality of Fallen shoes, I bought pairs of them from 04-09 but not since, was the quality issue something that happened since then? All the pairs I had were really solid.

I'm glad I only ever bought 3 nikes, and 2 of them were on sale at a shop because dan murphy gave them away.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #329 on: April 14, 2016, 04:33:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

(best part of all time)
[close]

[close]
I agree except he rocked them better here back when they still made mids. Popped tongue and a sideways strap mmmmm sexy lol.

a honorable mention for the list, most of his earlier footage was like 99% dunks