Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 212982 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1416
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3570 on: June 26, 2023, 11:15:14 AM »
Do quantum atoms or ceramic bearings in general require more frequent maintenance than say bones reds or Bronson g3? I've had these quantums on since end of April with maybe like 12-14 sessions and 3 of my wheels do not spin as long as one of them. Other than a few sessions in SF, La, and Eugene, most of my skating is done in my neighborhood skatepark and I'm pretty sure I haven't been skating through much dust or puddles. Just seems like a short time to start getting slow as my reds and Bronson's didn't need to be cleaned for almost a year.

Ya dude, they need to be cleaned pretty often to keep rolling. Plenty of peeps on slap have had the same or similar experience.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Scottboarding

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #3571 on: June 26, 2023, 12:09:50 PM »
Do quantum atoms or ceramic bearings in general require more frequent maintenance than say bones reds or Bronson g3? I've had these quantums on since end of April with maybe like 12-14 sessions and 3 of my wheels do not spin as long as one of them. Other than a few sessions in SF, La, and Eugene, most of my skating is done in my neighborhood skatepark and I'm pretty sure I haven't been skating through much dust or puddles. Just seems like a short time to start getting slow as my reds and Bronson's didn't need to be cleaned for almost a year.
I’ve never skated any ceramics outside of Quantum but I do feel like my Quantums needed more frequent cleanings then the various Bones bearing models I’ve skated. I live in Arizona where there’s a lot of fine dirt and dust and my Quantum’s would get loud and rough feeling pretty quickly. I switched to Reds which are noticeably slower compared to good condition Quantum’s but they’re holding up much better without a cleaning. Still slower, but smoother and quieter for sure.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3572 on: June 26, 2023, 12:18:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ya dude, they need to be cleaned pretty often to keep rolling. Plenty of peeps on slap have had the same or similar experience.

Not the case for me. I have Quantum Atoms and Fusions and lube them twice a year, clean them during one of those lubes. SD is fairly dry and dusty and sometimes I notice the bearings sounding louder, but I will spin them by hand and time them and it is within the margin of error. I did notice that when I overlubed my Quantums they tended to feel slower and attract more gunk whereas when I overlube a Swiss/non ceramic they seem to eventually just dry up a bit.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3573 on: June 26, 2023, 05:02:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok that’s good to know! Yea you can’t buy just the baseplates which is lame but I figured I could just get a set of FH and harvest the plates from them. Thanks dude!
[close]

Why not just use the whole truck? Why put an identical shape, but heavier hanger on the forged hollow baseplate?
[close]

I think some people don't like the feel / sound of hollow hangers. And the slightly heavier standard Indy hangers have a nice amount of heft to them.
[close]

^^ exactly. I’m down for the change in height. I’m not really down for the change in weight. I like the pop feel of the standard hanger!

Too bad you are not in Australia, otherwise I would have been happy to swap / trade parts.

I have more interest in regular / standard trucks, especially baseplates, so am always happy to get rid of the forged baseplates in trades for standard cast plates.

Someone somewhere might be selling some used trucks with forged plates, or even anyone who has gone through the axle of their hangers but the baseplates are still ok, so it might be worth checking around or asking before going out to buy a new set of trucks.

At least if you don't care about the hangers, you could get any used / second hand or on sale options, just to get the baseplates.  I see quite a few sets of trucks on ebay, or other places people are selling that you could get for cheaper than anything else, especially in the 129 or 139 category which very few people I know skate anymore.

Just a thought anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3574 on: June 26, 2023, 11:20:26 PM »
Yes
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3575 on: June 27, 2023, 11:12:39 AM »
What affects rebound back to center the most for a truck, bushings or pivot cups?

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3576 on: June 27, 2023, 11:13:41 AM »
Who makes good egg or 90's shape boards besides Heroin or Anti-Hero?
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #3577 on: June 27, 2023, 11:25:21 AM »

The Metal 9.0 egg shape is nice. I posted one in the setup thread not too long ago. Alien offers the same shape with different graphics and they also have an 8.75 Egg.

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3578 on: June 27, 2023, 11:29:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Metal 9.0 egg shape is nice. I posted one in the setup thread not too long ago. Alien offers the same shape with different graphics and they also have an 8.75 Egg.

Good to know, been wanting a Metal board in the back of my mind for some time now.

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #3579 on: June 27, 2023, 11:32:21 AM »
What affects rebound back to center the most for a truck, bushings or pivot cups?

Bushings 100%, pivot cups have a pretty minimal impact overall.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
« Reply #3580 on: June 27, 2023, 12:17:05 PM »

Definitely bushings.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3581 on: June 27, 2023, 12:48:56 PM »

Top (roadside) bushing in particular, and not over tightening your kingpin. When the hanger turns relative to the baseplate, it rotates a small amount, and when you crank your kingpin nut too tight it causes the hanger to stick between the squeezed together bushings. That's why you're always better off getting harder bushings instead of tightening stock ones more than a couple threads.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:09:59 PM by Samsquantch »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3582 on: June 27, 2023, 05:28:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good to know, been wanting a Metal board in the back of my mind for some time now.

Guessing you have already looked at the Egg Shaped board thread?  If not, that is a fun thread to check out.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.0

Also depends on the tail, given some are very small pointy things and others have a decent tail that skates more like a normal board, in particular but not limited to the AH Huffer 9.12 shape and the Black Label 9" egg shape, both of which I have and feel comfortable, but that is just me anyway.

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/product/jake-reuter-chains-9-0-egg

Any particular size you were wanting?

Also note, the trucks usually go about 1/4" down from the overall width of the board, sometimes more depending on where you like them to sit, eg 9" board fits 8.75" trucks well, or the 9.12 Huffer fits 9" trucks well, but again that is more personal preference.  Some will ride even more narrow trucks than that on those same boards.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3583 on: June 27, 2023, 11:23:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Girl and I would add Primitive but at the end is the same as Heroin
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Yewwman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3584 on: June 28, 2023, 04:46:44 AM »
How is the durability in Nike SB decon (dunks, blazers) compared to the regular versions?

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3585 on: June 28, 2023, 05:09:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Guessing you have already looked at the Egg Shaped board thread?  If not, that is a fun thread to check out.

Also depends on the tail, given some are very small pointy things and others have a decent tail that skates more like a normal board, in particular but not limited to the AH Huffer 9.12 shape and the Black Label 9" egg shape, both of which I have and feel comfortable, but that is just me anyway.

Also note, the trucks usually go about 1/4" down from the overall width of the board, sometimes more depending on where you like them to sit, eg 9" board fits 8.75" trucks well, or the 9.12 Huffer fits 9" trucks well, but again that is more personal preference.  Some will ride even more narrow trucks than that on those same boards.

Yeah I was aware, I think I was more interested in the early-90s shapes, which I guess in essence is an egg shape.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3586 on: June 28, 2023, 10:42:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Top (roadside) bushing in particular, and not over tightening your kingpin. When the hanger turns relative to the baseplate, it rotates a small amount, and when you crank your kingpin nut too tight it causes the hanger to stick between the squeezed together bushings. That's why you're always better off getting harder bushings instead of tightening stock ones more than a couple threads.

I think I’ll try out a harder top bushing.  I don’t have them cranked down, but have eaten shit twice from the hanger locking into a turning position

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3587 on: June 28, 2023, 08:17:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I was aware, I think I was more interested in the early-90s shapes, which I guess in essence is an egg shape.

The funny thing with the early 90s shapes, I guess also depending on which board company or even which year as things moved very quickly is the nose was often more pointy than the tail, whereas quite a few egg shapes tend to have a smaller tail and a bigger wider nose now.  I know this is not always the case, but I was comparing quite a few other shaped boards, in particular the Grosso shape that would work really well if I just rounded off the corners of the nose and tail.  That might be too much work for the effort vs the result, but boards like the Huffer shape really show this well.

When pressure flips and similar tricks came in, tails got a lot smaller and way more tapered, so if you are more interested in that style of board, there are a few others around as well that would work, but it all comes down to approximately what size you are interested in, eg Krooked 8.25 Cromer, DLX Flyer shape 8.75, Black Label 9, Crail Love seat or Phawt 9+ and lots more too.

Sorry to go on, but there really are a lot and quite a few variations on the same theme, from when boards went from squared wide tails, down to almost nothing then back to popsicles within two to three years max, with some brands going way more extreme than others too.

As a point of reference, just looking at Tactics as almost anyone worldwide can see their stuff, I can see boards from DLX, Frog, Quasi, Uma, Metal, Black Label and others.

https://www.tactics.com/cruiser-skateboard-decks

Examples of board shapes I recall seeing from that period as well as comparing to some I had as well from that time:

DLX

Quasi

Frog

Metal

Black Label

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 08:30:34 PM by Mbrimson88 »

pops

• Rep: 247
« Reply #3588 on: June 28, 2023, 09:01:55 PM »
Anyone tried the Metric Shanahans or DC's with the OG Legacy outsole? How they fit and how's the boardfeel with those?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3589 on: June 29, 2023, 12:35:56 PM »
does anybody have any actual hard evidence that darkroom is dead?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 585
« Reply #3590 on: June 29, 2023, 08:22:13 PM »
A while back a pal lubed bearings with graphite.
I don’t remember who it was but I wanted to know how they held up if any of you have tried it. lol
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3591 on: June 30, 2023, 05:28:32 AM »
Anybody tried Mosaic grip?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1583
« Reply #3592 on: June 30, 2023, 07:33:12 AM »
I don’t remember who it was but I wanted to know how they held up if any of you have tried it. lol

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?action=search2

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
« Reply #3593 on: June 30, 2023, 07:51:15 AM »

I used liquid graphite for a long time until I bought some sewing machine oil. It works fine, but even when I used a few drops, a little bit would always leak out and create a black strip down the wheel. I think the oil works better overall, but I'm sure they graphite is "faster".
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3594 on: June 30, 2023, 03:37:27 PM »

People I know have used graphite in open dry bearings and it does work, but you have to keep them completely dry, nothing else in them at all and they were a pain to have to try to clean when eventually they did start to seize up.

It is much better than running bearings without shields and completely dry.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #3595 on: June 30, 2023, 03:58:05 PM »
does anybody have any actual hard evidence that darkroom is dead?
The platform I used to order darkroom boards for the shop is  now nonexistent

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #3596 on: July 01, 2023, 11:18:35 AM »
I somehow undid the strap on this palace hat and im not sure how to get it back. Anyone know?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #3597 on: July 01, 2023, 01:48:47 PM »
I somehow undid the strap on this palace hat and im not sure how to get it back. Anyone know?

Just run it like Quail Man

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #3598 on: July 01, 2023, 03:29:33 PM »

There should be a space that opens up here where the strap goes in

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3599 on: July 01, 2023, 03:44:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There should be a space that opens up here where the strap goes in

I am not sure if I understand the question correctly but if the loose strap is too long and flaps around, yeah put it back in there where homie drew the circle.
If you mean, your hat fits now too small. Take that loose strap and push it to the left through that little plastic thing.
Now that bulged strap thing should become loose and you can adjust another size. Just make sure you pull that loose strap back again through that plastic thing there. That whole strap is supposed to be adjustable to fit every headsize. I hope that all made sense, English isn't my first language and it's been a looong day.
IG: @flowterspace