Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 87341 times)

Kevve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1950 on: April 01, 2024, 05:04:21 AM »
Im on the 8.75 ah eagle right now and want to go down a little in width as the setup is pretty hefty.

Problem is that i like some extra length as im tall.

Anyone got recommendations for longer 8.5 decks with 14.5+ wb?

The 8.38 ah eagle dims seems doable for me, but will it fit indy 159 trucks?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1951 on: April 01, 2024, 08:16:28 AM »
Im on the 8.75 ah eagle right now and want to go down a little in width as the setup is pretty hefty.

8.38 with 159 sounds like a nightmare to me.

Check out Black Label. Their 8.5 decks are 14.5wb. Shape on them is almost exactly the same as the 8.75 you’re currently riding. BBS wood, too. Note, however, that Black Label tend to also have steeper kicks.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1952 on: April 01, 2024, 08:19:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Check out Black Label. Their 8.5 decks are 14.5wb. Shape on them is almost exactly the same as the 8.75 you’re currently riding. BBS wood, too. Note, however, that Black Label tend to also have steeper kicks.

I would agree with this as well.

Peter Hewitt (and others) ride 159s on their DLX 8.38 boards, but it just looked and felt weird when I set up a board to copy his.  Not to say others will not find it awesome, but it is just a little too wide in the truck department for comfort for me.

On the other hand, a lot more people ride 159s on 8.5 boards and the usual BBS / Generator 8.5 shape is a good one, used by a lot of brands for their usual board, of which I have many and they vary in steepness and concave, but as Sedition said, the Black Label 8.5 boards tend to be on the steeper side, both side to side concave and angle of kicks, from the half a dozen I have, compared to all the other BBS 8.5 boards of the same shape and size, which are in general way more mellow.

The only other question for Kevve is have you tried the DLX 8.62 shape?  It has a 14.75 wb and is a little more narrow overall than the 8.75 so if you were after something with a longer wheelbase, this is also a good one, but may be a little too big still, for what you want.

DLX does have another 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb, as well as the one off There Chandler Burton board with 14.69 wb, which might be worth checking out too.

A few options anyway.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 08:35:35 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #1953 on: April 01, 2024, 09:30:38 PM »
I think all passport boards have 14.5 on their 8.5 shape

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1954 on: April 01, 2024, 10:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Peter Hewitt (and others) ride 159s on their DLX 8.38 boards, but it just looked and felt weird when I set up a board to copy his.  Not to say others will not find it awesome, but it is just a little too wide in the truck department for comfort for me.

On the other hand, a lot more people ride 159s on 8.5 boards and the usual BBS / Generator 8.5 shape is a good one, used by a lot of brands for their usual board, of which I have many and they vary in steepness and concave, but as Sedition said, the Black Label 8.5 boards tend to be on the steeper side, both side to side concave and angle of kicks, from the half a dozen I have, compared to all the other BBS 8.5 boards of the same shape and size, which are in general way more mellow.

The only other question for Kevve is have you tried the DLX 8.62 shape?  It has a 14.75 wb and is a little more narrow overall than the 8.75 so if you were after something with a longer wheelbase, this is also a good one, but may be a little too big still, for what you want.

DLX does have another 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb, as well as the one off There Chandler Burton board with 14.69 wb, which might be worth checking out too.

A few options anyway.

(1) Peter Hewitt's set-up sounds...terrifying.

(2) If you know, what other BBS brands have (a) 8.5 / 14.5 WB, (2) mellow kicks, (3) shape similar to the 8.5 Black Label?

(3) I tried the 8.62/14.75 a little bit ago. I told a friend, "This is possibly the worst popsicle I've ever ridden." I absolutely hated it. The dimensions / ratios all seemed to be fighting against each other. But to each their own, if someone likes it, awesome. The 8.75 feels way, way, way more nimble/responsive than the 8.62, IMHO, and is a much better "balanced" deck.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1955 on: April 02, 2024, 01:18:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

A few options anyway.
[close]

(1) Peter Hewitt's set-up sounds...terrifying.

(2) If you know, what other BBS brands have (a) 8.5 / 14.5 WB, (2) mellow kicks, (3) shape similar to the 8.5 Black Label?

(3) I tried the 8.62/14.75 a little bit ago. I told a friend, "This is possibly the worst popsicle I've ever ridden." I absolutely hated it. The dimensions / ratios all seemed to be fighting against each other. But to each their own, if someone likes it, awesome. The 8.75 feels way, way, way more nimble/responsive than the 8.62, IMHO, and is a much better "balanced" deck.

Brands with 8.5 that have 14.5 and +32 length:

The Killing Floor

Element (Pro models and select series are BBS, others may not be, so you gotta double check for BBS markings by the bolts IRL or via photos)

Magenta (I believe but not 100%)

Passport

AH/Krooked 8.38 (feels like an 8.5 and is 14.5 with 32+ length)
Polar (some people say their 8.5s don't have 14.5 WB but all the ones I had were spot on 4 years ago)

Primitive (I swear they had 8.5 x 14.5 x 32.25 for the longest time but haven't skated any recently to know for sure if that's still true)

Slave

Zero
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1956 on: April 02, 2024, 03:18:53 PM »

If you know, what other BBS brands have (a) 8.5 / 14.5 WB, (2) mellow kicks, (3) shape similar to the 8.5 Black Label?

* As per Darkpools, Fakie nollie and others, this was my take.

Yeah there sure are lots in that same or very similar shape of the 8.5 x 32.3 given or take a bit in each measurement per different board company, 14.5 wb with 7 or so nose and 6.7 or so tail.  Quite a lot even have the length listed as 32 even, but they all line up the same to me.

The most annoying thing is with actually finding a mellow board, given they have multiples per press and different presses, some steeper some more mellow, because even some of the same board that I have bought, I can sort them into the steeper ones I usually sell right away, the middle range I may or may not skate or the mellow boards, which I squirrel away like they are the last of those kind on earth.

Examples of this include older stock I have from Passport, Baker, Birdhouse, Deathwish, Element (before they changed) and a few others, especially Element though, which I always blank but they are just so comfrotable for me.

Boards from Loser Machine, Isle, Alltimers, Killing Floor, some Magenta, some Passport and some Generator blanks were all middle of the road.

Boards more recently from Black Label, Cash Only, some Magenta, some Passport and a few Generator boards for skate shops / blanks were all too steep for me to be comfortable on, but others I know have loved them and they held up well.

I don't want to just list the woodshop thread with the BBS and highlight all the boards there that I have that are that shape, or at least were, because some have changed now, others seem to have gone with shorter versions, etc.

There sure are a lot from that list though.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729103#msg3729103

Others I think are the same from looking online but I have not seen in person include 151, ATM, Frog, Sci Fi (Generator sticker on it) but also all the shop boards that use Generator for their wood, as well as those smaller brands that seem to slip under the radar.

Shop board post here too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729105#msg3729105

If you can make it in somewhere to look at or stand on a lot of boards, all good and well, but if you can't for whatever reason, it is often way more of a roll of the dice to try to find the good boards that are most comfortable.  I don't think anyone specifically has mellow boards from that list, or at least not any that will compare to DLX with a IV stamp.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:27:20 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1957 on: April 02, 2024, 05:33:37 PM »
Expand Quote

If you know, what other BBS brands have (a) 8.5 / 14.5 WB, (2) mellow kicks, (3) shape similar to the 8.5 Black Label?

[close]

Yeah there sure are lots in that same or very similar shape of the 8.5 x 32.3 given or take a bit in each measurement per different board company, 14.5 wb with 7 or so nose and 6.7 or so tail.  Quite a lot even have the length listed as 32 even, but they all line up the same to me.

The most annoying thing is with actually finding a mellow board, given they have multiples per press and different presses, some steeper some more mellow, because even some of the same board that I have bought, I can sort them into the steeper ones I usually sell right away, the middle range I may or may not skate or the mellow boards, which I squirrel away like they are the last of those kind on earth.

Examples of this include older stock I have from Passport, Baker, Birdhouse, Deathwish, Element (before they changed) and a few others, especially Element though, which I always blank but they are just so comfrotable for me.

Boards from Loser Machine, Isle, Alltimers, Killing Floor, some Magenta, some Passport and some Generator blanks were all middle of the road.

Boards more recently from Black Label, Cash Only, some Magenta, some Passport and a few Generator boards for skate shops / blanks were all too steep for me to be comfortable on, but others I know have loved them and they held up well.

I don't want to just list the woodshop thread with the BBS and highlight all the boards there that I have that are that shape, or at least were, because some have changed now, others seem to have gone with shorter versions, etc.

Others I think are the same from looking online but I have not seen in person include 151, ATM, Frog, Sci Fi (Generator sticker on it) but also all the shop boards that use Generator for their wood, as well as those smaller brands that seem to slip under the radar.

If you can make it in somewhere to look at or stand on a lot of boards, all good and well, but if you can't for whatever reason, it is often way more of a roll of the dice to try to find the good boards that are most comfortable.  I don't think anyone specifically has mellow boards from that list, or at least not any that will compare to DLX with a IV stamp.

(Posting this on phone, sorry for typos)

I have such a tumultuous relationship with 8.5 decks. I love my DLX 8.25/14.38.  I also love my  DLX 8.75/14.62. However, at times the 8.25 feels a tad too, well, “dainty.” Conversely, the 8.75 can lend itself to feeling like a land dirigible in some circumstances (esp. flip tricks and things that require me push the limits of what’s left of my max ollie height).

So, it seems like an 8.5/14.5 would be a magic bullet, as it falls directly between those two. Or so it would seem.

A few problems come up with the 8.5/14.5s I’ve tried. First, I hate the given shape. The DLX 8.38 falls into this category for me. The nose/tail are just too rounded-off. Baker 8.5s are the same way (and not sure I could really bring myself to ride Baker on the regular). Second, are kicks dimensions. I had a Zero 8.5/14.5 once, and Jesus, the tail was sooo long. I didn’t think that was going to impact me all that much, but I was categorically wrong. Last, is kickstarter angle. Some are just too steep. The Black Label 8.5/14.5 is the perfect 8.5 shape for me (it’s basically same shape as the DLX 8.25/8.75). But the problem with Black Label is their kicks are so steep—which is really unfortunate because (a) the shape is awesome and (b) the Black Label is one of the best companies, ever, IMHO.

The other weird thing that has happened to me on 8.5/14.5 decks is…they seem to be the worst of the 8.25/8.75, and the best of neither. They never seem as solid/stable as the 8.75 (main reason I like that deck), or as agile as the 8.25. I’ve never, once, ridden any 8.5/14.5 deck and been like “OH! OH! OMG! Hell yes! This thing rocks!” The 8.25/8.75, however…

So, I don’t know. Maybe I’ve just never found the “perfect” 8.5/14.5. Maybe my idea that an 8.5/14.5 is a  middle ground “magic bullet” is fundamentally flawed. Maybe I’m just chasing madness waterfalls. Maybe I should stop looking, and just take the brilliance of the 8.75/8.25 on their own terms.

Meathook

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1958 on: April 02, 2024, 06:22:24 PM »
I ordered 93a f4 radial the second I could a couple days ago.  I’ve been perfectly happy on f4 97a 53mm Classics for the last month +.  It’s times like this that I feel the madness the most and wonder what it’s going to take to get rid of this (besides more therapy.)

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1959 on: April 03, 2024, 12:18:24 AM »
I've got a weird brand of madness. My 149 Indys are perfect. On an 8.38 April with classic shape 99d F4s perfect. On an 8.5 Polar with conical fulls 99.9% perfect.

Why then am I always buying stuff, trying to get Aces to work, taking 2 boards to the park only to ride my normal one after 5 minutes of failure on the new one?

It's like being married to a 9 out of 10 who is a great cook and super nice, but chasing 20 year old psycho stunners.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • sup dog
« Reply #1960 on: April 03, 2024, 06:24:47 AM »
@Sedition @Mbrimson88

Well, that settles that. Thank you

When the Doctors speak, you’d be a damned fool not to listen 8)
@Sedition @Mbrimson88

I done listened.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1961 on: April 03, 2024, 06:30:16 AM »
Expand Quote
@Sedition @Mbrimson88

Well, that settles that. Thank you

When the Doctors speak, you’d be a damned fool not to listen 8)
[close]
@Sedition @Mbrimson88

I done listened.

:) Enjoy!

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1962 on: April 06, 2024, 10:15:31 AM »
I've skated the same shape on Thunder 147, Venture 5.2 lo and Venture  V-Light 5.2 hi back and forth over the past few weeks. 147 and V-Light hi on same wheels, lo on basically same wheel but a size down.

I'm shameful in all this fucking about. I'm not even good at skateboarding, but I do enjoy it a bunch.

5.2 los look so sick, and I wish I could channel some energy from some of the greats that looked so good on em. But alas, the wheelbite even with 51s and tightened up trucks is too vicious for me.

147s are newest for me. Standards, but I changed out the black washers and nuts for silver. They turn more/better than the 5.2 lo obviously, but I find em naturally tighter than other trucks I've ridden (Venture/Indy). If you are proper and sit on top of all yr nose/tailslides, the short baseplate shouldn't be an issue. For me, it is with 99a wheels and metal-edge skatepark ledges sometimes. I should just do my tricks better.

The 5.2 V-Light hi are my favorite trucks after all this experimentation. Definitely make yr nose and tail feel/effectively shorter and tightening the front two nuts is annoying as fuck (just started taking the hangers off when setting up a new board lmao)

I broke my popping leg real bad as a child and I'd notice with Indy I'd sometimes veer a bit right before popping probably due to my foot being a lil crooked from that. You can ride Ventures pretty loose while still being really stable for the pop. Yes they don't turn as loosely goosey as Indy or even Thunder, but I feel like I land more tricks on Ventures.

But I realized that I've never skated the 5.2 hi on cast baseplates......

mstuntbless

« Reply #1963 on: April 06, 2024, 04:30:37 PM »
I have the way out of madness if you would like some pointers. But if you enjoy the swapping do your thing!

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #1964 on: April 06, 2024, 05:51:16 PM »
How do I clean my grip if I don’t have grip gum?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1965 on: April 06, 2024, 10:55:41 PM »
How do I clean my grip if I don’t have grip gum?
Hit it with an open palm and then use a broom.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1005
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1966 on: April 06, 2024, 11:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1298
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1967 on: April 07, 2024, 07:19:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I have heard the 8.38 (green) eagle measures around 8.5 so it might be a little more doable than the standard 8.38 if you like hot rodding.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1968 on: April 07, 2024, 08:08:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
I have heard the 8.38 (green) eagle measures around 8.5 so it might be a little more doable than the standard 8.38 if you like hot rodding.

hewitt skated the 8.38 eagle with 159s.

on an entirely different plane of skateboard existence, i skated an 8.38 generic generator shape, on 6.1 ventures, and loved it. i really liked the stability, and pop. eventually i stopped with the 6.1s, because first and foremost, i am a very old baby, and the setup was too heavy for the skating that i do the most(bad/slow flatground flip trick attempts), this big setup didn’t make the most sense. but, for hills, and ollie/nollie stuff, the setup was great.

Kevve

« Reply #1969 on: April 08, 2024, 01:54:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks bud! Gonna do some digging and see what i can find here :)

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1970 on: April 08, 2024, 08:51:10 AM »

I love the DLX 8.38 14.5wb shape on 149s

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1971 on: April 09, 2024, 02:28:11 AM »

chandler burton shapes from there skateboards
almost always 8.5 and range from 32.5-32.625 long
and wheelbases between 14.5-14.69
should fit 159s perfectly imo
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1972 on: April 09, 2024, 02:37:38 AM »
I just switched from Ace Classic 66s to Indy 215s on my Mutant shape and I love them.
The grind is a lot better and the more truck the better. But somehow I fell like my BS Nosepicks got a lot worse. I freaked out the other day cause I couldn't do them anymore on the big quarter at my local and now it is stuck in my head, that I might should switch back to Aces to relearn Nosepicks.
It is so weird how you head can dictate certain shit

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #1973 on: April 10, 2024, 07:58:38 PM »
I have 4 pairs of LRAB’s right now. 3 VM001’s and a VM002. Two on ice for skating, one I’m currently skating and one as a chiller. I really hope I don’t wake up and hate this shoe one morning.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1974 on: April 11, 2024, 02:04:52 PM »
My madness has been dormant for a long time. It's kind of...fluttering...right now. I'm toying with grabbing one of those 8.38/14.38 Black Label decks...mostly out of curiosity. 14.38 is my jam, but I normally don't like (a) steepness of Label kicks (Label kicks can be a tad long, too), and (b) "in-between" sizes (e.g. 8.1, 8.3, 8.4, 8.6, etc.).

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #1975 on: April 11, 2024, 02:34:59 PM »
Aren't Label decks the generic BBS decks? My shop always has them and Uma, Alltimers, and a few other brands on the sale rack so I've skated a ton of them and the 8.5 shape.

DLX and Sci-Fi have an 8.5x14.38 shape but the nose is quite long.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1976 on: April 11, 2024, 02:40:59 PM »
Aren't Label decks the generic BBS decks? My shop always has them and Uma, Alltimers, and a few other brands on the sale rack so I've skated a ton of them and the 8.5 shape.

Label is BBS, but their kicks are always on the steep side. DLX does have that 8.5/14.38, but per that other thread they are not as easy to come by on a regular basis, plus I really dislike the nose/tail shape on that DLX deck...too roundy-pointy for me. The Label 8.25/14.25 and 8.5/14.5 have the exact shape I love (same as DLX 8.25/14.38, and DLX 8.75/14.62). If I get it, hoping the 8.38 is also their "standard cut," which I love.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1977 on: April 11, 2024, 03:48:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Label is BBS, but their kicks are always on the steep side. DLX does have that 8.5/14.38, but per that other thread they are not as easy to come by on a regular basis, plus I really dislike the nose/tail shape on that DLX deck...too roundy-pointy for me. The Label 8.25/14.25 and 8.5/14.5 have the exact shape I love (same as DLX 8.25/14.38, and DLX 8.75/14.62). If I get it, hoping the 8.38 is also their "standard cut," which I love.

The Omar 8.38 board was always a little different - got one here, longer than others, so definitely not a standard BBS / Generator shape.

I see some of the other bigger boards are also different, eg the 9 has a 14.5 wb, which I am yet to see, but keen to try, but not if they are still super steep / extra concave like the others I got recently in the 8.5 x 32.3 with 14.5 wb.   To note, their older boards I bought a while back have a way more normal concave and feel to them, so I wonder if something changed, or they got whatever was on offer, or specifically requested steeper boards.

https://www.blacklabelskates.com/

Also noticed that a lot of the team boards all come in multiple sizes now as well, some pro boards too, eg the Omar board with the 8.38 and a couple of others:

https://www.blacklabelskates.com/product/omar-hassan-s-o-s-8-38-8-625-9-0

Listed as 8.38” x 32.5” 14.38” wheelbase, but I don't think it was quite that long.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1978 on: April 11, 2024, 03:54:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The Omar 8.38 board was always a little different - got one here, longer than others, so definitely not a standard BBS / Generator shape.

I see some of the other bigger boards are also different, eg the 9 has a 14.5 wb, which I am yet to see, but keen to try, but not if they are still super steep / extra concave like the others I got recently in the 8.5 x 32.3 with 14.5 wb.   To note, their older boards I bought a while back have a way more normal concave and feel to them, so I wonder if something changed, or they got whatever was on offer, or specifically requested steeper boards.

Also noticed that a lot of the team boards all come in multiple sizes now as well, some pro boards too, eg the Omar board with the 8.38 and a couple of others:

Listed as 8.38” x 32.5” 14.38” wheelbase, but I don't think it was quite that long.

Yeah, I've noticed the 8.38 Label is always listed as longer than their other (popsicle) decks. I also noticed they have some 8.75" listed as 14.5, and some as 14.75. I've wondered if that is accurate, or a typo and they are all 14.75. They otherwise seem to follow the pattern of 8.25/14.25, 8.38/14.38, 8.5/14.5, 8.62/14.62, 8.75/14.75.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1979 on: April 11, 2024, 04:00:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I've noticed the 8.38 Label is always listed as longer than their other (popsicle) decks. I also noticed they have some 8.75" listed as 14.5, and some as 14.75. I've wondered if that is accurate, or a typo and they are all 14.75. They otherwise seem to follow the pattern of 8.25/14.25, 8.38/14.38, 8.5/14.5, 8.62/14.62, 8.75/14.75.

I have older Label boards that are bigger and longer, so at some point, the dimensions changed so they shortened the bigger boards down to a more common 14.5 wb.  Someone had one and said it definitely was 14.5 and not 14.75 or so as per one I have.

I still feel like I need to see the boards in person though, which is why I haven't bought any more, as no one really has them locally here.