Author Topic: Your skateboarding pet peeves?  (Read 27820 times)

Steezuschrist69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Your skateboarding pet peeves?
« Reply #360 on: November 07, 2023, 09:01:29 AM »
Dudes who sesh with AirPods in

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • sup dog
« Reply #361 on: November 07, 2023, 05:59:15 PM »
Lawncare that run the mowers over the white pebble planting areas that throw little white rocks all over the skatepark.  Hit one and you will get Skrrtted.  Have to clean up the local every damn time they mow.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #362 on: November 07, 2023, 10:17:27 PM »
Lawncare that run the mowers over the white pebble planting areas that throw little white rocks all over the skatepark.  Hit one and you will get Skrrtted.  Have to clean up the local every damn time they mow.
Related to this: new parks that have gardens, rock pits, gravel, bark, woodchip etc. it always fucks up, looks like shit, ends up all over the park. It's a skatepark just make everything out of concrete if you want the idea of a garden gap just dye the concrete green or something.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 7
  • fresh
« Reply #363 on: November 08, 2023, 08:37:24 AM »
loose hardware, cold griptape, sesh with no scooter kid milfs and, not having a flick pattern on my grip
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
« Reply #364 on: November 08, 2023, 12:22:33 PM »
Encountered my first "DO A KICKFLIP" moment.
Two guys and a girl stopped their car in the road to shout it to me.
I was going to ignore them but then my pride started fuckin' with me...like for some reason I give a shit if a couple random scrubs in a clapped out Nissan Rogue think I can't kickflip. I'll show them!
Proceeded to do the worst fucking no pop rocket mob piece of shit kickflip I've done in years.
Stiff legged landing as a cherry on top.
0/10 experience, do not recommend.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #365 on: November 17, 2023, 01:05:54 PM »

Newest park in town is built at the base of a basalt rock shelf, with a rock gap running perpendicular to the shelf, straight down the middle of the park.

Dodging pebbles is the hardest trick there. Saving grace is the park ground is currently insanely smooth, so there's a bit of leeway before getting tossed, but still....
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #366 on: December 14, 2023, 01:01:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
One that used to really bother me, was when friends showed up way late to the session. Especially when most of us were already tired and ready to leave. Especially when it was their idea to schedule the session at said time.
[close]

I had a great variation of this happen to me once. Lined up to meet at say 2pm at the spot (which is like 40 minutes from my house). I get there at like a a quarter to 2, wait 'til like a quarter past 2 and then contact my friend. He's like, "Yeah, we went at 12 instead, we've already left, sorry man..." Skaters are fucked in the head, which actually segues into the best part - so I decided to skate by myself for like half an hour, had a super awkward slip and hit the back of my head, felt really weird, went to my car and just cried uncontrollably for like 20 minutes. Not because I was sad, or hurting, or pissed off, sometimes it just happens with head injuries, I guess the emotional centre of the brain is at the back there. Great day!
[close]
The way skateboarders will waste someone else's time is so strange it seems to almost never happen with anyone else in that way.  I've literally been in a full car with a group of skaters where 3 of them are texting people like yeah we'll come pick you up in a bit even tho it's never going to happen, there's already a full car. Or the whole we'll come meet you and just have no intentions of ever going. Not just back when we were teens this shit still happens with people in their 30s.
[close]

Yeah, I can't think of any other group of people I've interacted with that behave in this way. And for the record, yeah, we're in all mid-late 20s when that story occurred and it's not like they're people I'm desperate to be friends with and I'm a kid who's not part of the clique. This is like my good, close friends who I've known closely and for a long time.
I feel this very situation deeply within my very core, I use to get really really upset by people who wasted my time when planning on a session at the local park then I flipped the intention of course I wanted to skate with them however I’m not going to show anyone my true feelings instead I’m going to have fun and if they showed up and I’m done well sucks for them should’ve been here earlier might’ve seen Animal Chin and had fun.

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -449
« Reply #367 on: December 15, 2023, 08:12:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
One that used to really bother me, was when friends showed up way late to the session. Especially when most of us were already tired and ready to leave. Especially when it was their idea to schedule the session at said time.
[close]

I had a great variation of this happen to me once. Lined up to meet at say 2pm at the spot (which is like 40 minutes from my house). I get there at like a a quarter to 2, wait 'til like a quarter past 2 and then contact my friend. He's like, "Yeah, we went at 12 instead, we've already left, sorry man..." Skaters are fucked in the head, which actually segues into the best part - so I decided to skate by myself for like half an hour, had a super awkward slip and hit the back of my head, felt really weird, went to my car and just cried uncontrollably for like 20 minutes. Not because I was sad, or hurting, or pissed off, sometimes it just happens with head injuries, I guess the emotional centre of the brain is at the back there. Great day!
[close]
The way skateboarders will waste someone else's time is so strange it seems to almost never happen with anyone else in that way.  I've literally been in a full car with a group of skaters where 3 of them are texting people like yeah we'll come pick you up in a bit even tho it's never going to happen, there's already a full car. Or the whole we'll come meet you and just have no intentions of ever going. Not just back when we were teens this shit still happens with people in their 30s.
[close]

Yeah, I can't think of any other group of people I've interacted with that behave in this way. And for the record, yeah, we're in all mid-late 20s when that story occurred and it's not like they're people I'm desperate to be friends with and I'm a kid who's not part of the clique. This is like my good, close friends who I've known closely and for a long time.
[close]
I feel this very situation deeply within my very core, I use to get really really upset by people who wasted my time when planning on a session at the local park then I flipped the intention of course I wanted to skate with them however I’m not going to show anyone my true feelings instead I’m going to have fun and if they showed up and I’m done well sucks for them should’ve been here earlier might’ve seen Animal Chin and had fun.
skaters don't know what a schedule is, and then the second they turn 40 they either quit entirely or show up to skate where they say they will at 7am on the dot, three times a week, without fail.

when you're young you think you'll be able to skate forever. as soon as you realize the truth you'll skate every chance you can get.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #368 on: December 17, 2023, 04:23:35 AM »
when I skate in rough areas and someone says ‘ay, let me see your skateboard’

bitch we both know you want to steal it

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #369 on: December 30, 2023, 05:13:26 PM »
when people shift their backfoot before popping

I call this "putting out cigarettes". Justin Bieber has a pretty advanced case of it. I think I used to do it too when I was getting ready to ollie up or over something higher than usual. Twist the back foot back and forth a little, touch the griptape and then pop.

skatebruh

« Reply #370 on: December 30, 2023, 07:27:54 PM »
Dude who spits on the ground in a terrible spot.

Dude spits in the run up. I'm already dodging cracks, but now I gotta dodge your nasty spit too.

Or he spits on the ground where we all stand to skate the ledge. Now I gotta watch out so I don't step on it.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #371 on: January 01, 2024, 05:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Related to this: new parks that have gardens, rock pits, gravel, bark, woodchip etc. it always fucks up, looks like shit, ends up all over the park. It's a skatepark just make everything out of concrete if you want the idea of a garden gap just dye the concrete green or something.

I follow a few skatepark designers and always comment about how stupid all of this stuff is at a skatepark

rusty knees

• I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #372 on: January 01, 2024, 05:17:00 PM »
'journey'

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #373 on: January 02, 2024, 08:12:13 AM »
Expand Quote
People need to stop complaining about the person did a trick I was trying thing. The only people I ever hear are shit anyway and are trying something easy. So nobody can board slide a flatbar or do a manual because you're taking all day. Fuck that grow up.
[close]

Totally agree on this too. I had a friend tell me I should stop doing bs feebles on a flat bar one day cause another guy had been trying to do it. It's like, what, so I can't warm up 'cause old mate can't do a feeble? Not sure if the guy was offended or not, but weird that it's a strong enough idea that somebody else would suggest you don't do it. I don't skate out of spite, I'm just riding my shit, doing my shit.

That's an interesting one. I usually ask or announce.. "You won't be offended if I try that trick, right?" No one ever says yes and it's often an ice breaker to a better session. On the flip side there are times some park hero has to show you how you are doing everything wrong and attempt several of the tricks you are trying right after you... to me that remains bad manners...

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2024, 12:21:48 PM »
ledges taller than 12in

I feel this. New park opened up near me in FL. All the flat ledges are knee high. Killing myself trying to 5-0 and nosegrind it. Then the locals pull up and nollie on it. I'm fucked!
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #375 on: January 28, 2024, 10:51:25 AM »
Front tails. I cannot slide them. Hate them

skatebruh

« Reply #376 on: January 28, 2024, 07:17:34 PM »
Front tails. I cannot slide them. Hate them
Same for me, but what's even worse is 1 out of 10 tries the board will slide super good and I'll slip out onto my back.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2024, 02:44:34 PM »
Thinking I look cool then I watch the photo/footage and I look like a goof ball...  :'(
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2024, 07:15:18 AM »
Thinking I look cool then I watch the photo/footage and I look like a goof ball...  :'(
I feel you on this one. Painful to watch old clips sometimes

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #379 on: February 05, 2024, 03:04:03 PM »
When skaters leave rubbish at the spot

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 42
« Reply #380 on: February 06, 2024, 07:20:25 PM »
Less a pet peeve than just bewilderment...I don't know why nose/tail length don't scale up (much) as boards get bigger and longer. Don't you need a longer lever? Yet an 8.0 deck has a 6-5/8 tail, and a 9.5 wide, 16 wheelbase deck has the same tail.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #381 on: February 07, 2024, 02:56:00 PM »
Less a pet peeve than just bewilderment...I don't know why nose/tail length don't scale up (much) as boards get bigger and longer. Don't you need a longer lever? Yet an 8.0 deck has a 6-5/8 tail, and a 9.5 wide, 16 wheelbase deck has the same tail.

Some do, but I think this was discussed once a while back with Prof Schmitt or similar people, with interesting results.

Boards get wider, but people still want to pop the same, so extending the tail to make a big wide and long board was sometimes just not going to work, with the kicks being too long, but some other boards just work so well with the longer kicks.  A good example - Heroin boards are often too short in the kicks for me, but other people find them just right.

I am all for the AH orange eagle, in terms of 9 wide, 33 long, 15 wb and long kicks, but I also see some of those bigger shaped boards sitting on 6.5 kicks which barely make it long enough on smaller boards for me anyway.

Something around 6.75 is optimal for tail length with most trucks (give or take risers) but some boards that have 7"+ kicks, nose or tail, are just a bit more awkward to pop off, unless skating longer wheelbase trucks, or tall risers or similar.

What would be the optimal size, shape and length of kick for you?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #382 on: February 11, 2024, 03:51:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Your so-called friends don’t fuck with u like that lol.

I-am-12

• Rep: -6
« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2024, 01:12:30 PM »
My irrational pet peeve is getting angry when I see a high quality / good music / good filmography street part but then all the skaters are shitty teenagers hitting everything at 2 mph.

But I always take it back because it should be encouraged / its fun to create something and film with the homies. Still, I don't know why my first instinct is to shit all over it.

I take it all back when I see the kids fight / bother pedestrians while clearly in the wrong in these videos. I hate teenagers

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 591
« Reply #384 on: April 29, 2024, 03:52:26 AM »
Wild spring time temperature swings. Did your trucks feel perfect the last time you skated? Too bad! They’re gonna feel wobbly as all hell today. Oh, what’s that? You tightened them? That’s cute, because now it’s freezing out and your bushings feel like bricks.

It’s not a big deal, just annoying during spring and fall.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Heshrat

« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2024, 10:06:49 PM »
Tying your shoes as much as possible and still feeling your feet wiggling around in your shoes.
Being hesitant to try tricks because I  feel off that day and keep bailing them because I assume I’ll get hurt from a thing I always do
I did your mom