Author Topic: Origin stories, anyone? How’d ya come to SLAP?  (Read 2455 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: Origin stories, anyone? How’d ya come to SLAP?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2023, 02:27:15 PM »
holy shit i just remembered when slap was an actual website and not just the message board, that front page was fun to peruse

who ran that weekly dump again? i can't for the life of me remember what it was called

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2023, 06:23:06 PM »
I knew it as a magazine first but started off on skateboard-city, which is still around till today. I lurked on here in the early 2000s, people were posting with English words but I had zero comprehension what was being said, it was like learning an English dialect.

Started skating with Loophole (bless this man) in the mid 2000s and when he asked me if I posted on any forums, I mentioned skateboard-city and he looked at me like I was eating a mayonnaise ice cream cone. Stopped lurking and created my account on Slap.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 09:53:16 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cky enthusiast

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2023, 07:18:57 PM »
someone logged into this account on one of the demo phones at the verizon store in the shopping center i panhandle at so i post on it

somethingmustbreaknow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2023, 10:29:23 PM »
holy shit i just remembered when slap was an actual website and not just the message board, that front page was fun to peruse
who ran that weekly dump again? i can't for the life of me remember what it was called
you mean the weekly forum dump with select topics/discussions on the slap frontpage?
that was called FORUM FEEDER

peterpenis

• Rep: 8
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2023, 02:00:35 AM »
embarrassingly my origin story is based on ben nordberg, brink, erica yary (or maybe the drunk guy who replaced her?) and laytons dick. on that weird talking show on the ride channel nordberg was talking about leaks of laytons dick pic on some skate forum. obviously i had to see them. so thanks ben i guess.

newguy

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2023, 03:20:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Isn’t slap like the oldest active forum on the internet at this point?
[close]

From Wikipedia:

“One of the first forum sites (which is still active today) is Delphi Forums, once called Delphi. The service, with four million members, dates to 1983. Forums perform a function similar to that of dial-up bulletin board systems and Usenet networks that were first created starting in the late 1970s.”

Fun fact.

What do you think they’re talking about after 40 something years?

probably the shenanigans their kids/grandkids are up to at this point hah.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2023, 08:40:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you mean the weekly forum dump with select topics/discussions on the slap frontpage?
that was called FORUM FEEDER

that was definitely part of the reason i lurked and eventually joined.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1416
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2023, 09:10:11 AM »
I had no clue other forums existed outside the old thrasher forum, which if im remembering correctly according to the slap AIM chats, was frequented by a lot of slap posters as well. SLAP mag was the only magazine i read and the creative/positive SF vibe really influenced how I viewed skating as a kid.

I still dont really do much online other than 2 forums that are older than this, that i came to for specific interests and found through word of mouth. Those forums however, while community based and frequented by people who would be “pro” in the field, aren’t half as fun as slap.

Glad this place is still a thing
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

LebowskisRug

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2023, 12:13:08 PM »
I Googled "does a skateboard wheelbase matter"

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2023, 12:48:31 PM »
I had no clue other forums existed outside the old thrasher forum, which if im remembering correctly according to the slap AIM chats, was frequented by a lot of slap posters as well. SLAP mag was the only magazine i read and the creative/positive SF vibe really influenced how I viewed skating as a kid.

Glad this place is still a

Aim chats….peak slap for me. Tonycoxsox, amongst many others, would have me laughing for hours…good times.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2023, 01:54:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Aim chats….peak slap for me. Tonycoxsox, amongst many others, would have me laughing for hours…good times.

So good. That cat was hilarious. My family got a computer and internet in like 2001 or something and it was in the hallway outside all the bedrooms in a small ass house. Id be on there hoping to god my mom didnt see what we were getting into

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2023, 05:08:11 PM »
I think I googled a random skate question and got linked to an answer on slap.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
  • the moon rules
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2023, 09:26:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Were you in the chat that had all of the sound effects? That one was pretty funny for a few weeks

I think this is either my fourth or fifth account on here since 2003. The dudes at my local skate shop ran Wheelbite.net until it shut down, then they started talking about Slap. I joined out of curiosity. I also used to post on CommonScene, the DLX message boards, and I want to say Skimthefat even had some sort of message board. Anyone remember what the skateboard themed Myspace ripoff from the mid 2000's that Salman was involved in was? That ones killing me
fuck you bama

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 955
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2023, 10:43:08 PM »
Shoes and gear is a priceless place. One day I started talking to people. It feels good so I continue.

First time I heard of slap was at something else. I got issue one for free with a complete. I had it but is disappeared over covid along with all the comics. I had crazy old dick Tracy shit that my father gave me and all the super man is dead series sealed in double.
I hate comics.
They didn't take the power edge or the trashers. But all the covers got kinda messed up.

I know who took those but the slap mag is a weird one.

I only know two people from my hometown that are core enough and old enough to give it value.

I'm whining. I been failing at art for a few days so I'm medium pissy
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

newguy

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2023, 05:25:00 AM »
I'm whining. I been failing at art for a few days so I'm medium pissy

can relate

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2023, 07:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Were you in the chat that had all of the sound effects? That one was pretty funny for a few weeks

I think this is either my fourth or fifth account on here since 2003. The dudes at my local skate shop ran Wheelbite.net until it shut down, then they started talking about Slap. I joined out of curiosity. I also used to post on CommonScene, the DLX message boards, and I want to say Skimthefat even had some sort of message board. Anyone remember what the skateboard themed Myspace ripoff from the mid 2000's that Salman was involved in was? That ones killing me

Can’t remember, but sounds kind of familiar. it was like a huge group chat. So many great OGs… forming alliances lol.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2023, 09:15:22 AM »
I was a teen subscriber to Slap, but I didn’t care or pay any attention to the forum until I started working a desk job.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2023, 09:54:28 AM »
I feel like the infamy has always been there.. crazy that this messageboard got talked about in mags so much more than any other.
I lurked off and on, forgot a password, had skin too thin at one point; all my friends gave up skating, and I was pretty down on my lack of skill for a long time so I didn’t try to make new ones. But I missed talking about skating.

In a Chris Cole Transworld 20 Questions they asked “Last time you cried” and he said “Sometimes I go on Slap Messageboard and laugh til I cry.”

I was on vacation last summer with a lot of downtime, so I came back in a calmer mind state.

There are a lot of different eras which is pretty fuckin cool.. I miss shit_for_brains and the most I think.

newguy

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2023, 11:40:19 AM »
I feel like the infamy has always been there.. crazy that this messageboard got talked about in mags so much more than any other.
I lurked off and on, forgot a password, had skin too thin at one point; all my friends gave up skating, and I was pretty down on my lack of skill for a long time so I didn’t try to make new ones. But I missed talking about skating.

In a Chris Cole Transworld 20 Questions they asked “Last time you cried” and he said “Sometimes I go on Slap Messageboard and laugh til I cry.”

I was on vacation last summer with a lot of downtime, so I came back in a calmer mind state.

There are a lot of different eras which is pretty fuckin cool.. I miss shit_for_brains and the most I think.

I miss cheetahsheets, every single post he made was accidental comedy gold

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2023, 01:22:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

YUHHHHH!!!! Thanks for the reminder. I don’t remember what he was talking about but one time he said “Big Cats Club” and I still repeat that and laugh.

This era of Slap is pretty frickin tame compared to the Gipper, the meat spin, the penis pics. Hectic.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2023, 02:09:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

YUHHHHH!!!! Thanks for the reminder. I don’t remember what he was talking about but one time he said “Big Cats Club” and I still repeat that and laugh.

This era of Slap is pretty frickin tame compared to the Gipper, the meat spin, the penis pics. Hectic.

Its like everyone grew up, sobered up, and had kids or something

newguy

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2023, 05:16:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

oh fuck I forgot about the Gipper, another completely unhinged poster, someone needs to do a deep dive and unearth these threads or something, so many golden interactions

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2023, 05:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

oh fuck I forgot about the Gipper, another completely unhinged poster, someone needs to do a deep dive and unearth these threads or something, so many golden interactions

Speaking of The Gipper, does anyone know if his eternal rival ChildoftheGhetto is still skating?

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2023, 05:56:03 PM »
I was a regular on skateboard-city and would hear about Slap occasionally.  I made an account in 2008 when I was getting back into skating.  Lurked on and off until 2016 when I got an office job and have been sucked in ever since.

I've always loved forums though.  SBC was the only one I ever posted on, but I'd lurk the bodybuilding.com forums and a few mma/boxing forums.  I always appreciated being able to see more of the world then my shitty rural hometown.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2023, 05:57:37 PM »
I was an irc #skate guy, then crailtap, then one day Sluggo texted me asking me some local spot questions and I asked him why?  He said he was arguing with some kid on slap…..

Tireeedd

• Rep: 86
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2023, 09:09:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That era really was unrivaled, I think I started lurking in 2009-10 when I was 10-11? had my first account in 2010.. I met Jonathan and a few of the dudes still working for SLAP right in the post Whiteley era at YMCA skate camp and that really solidified my obsession with the forums

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2023, 10:52:39 PM »
Had lurked for years, showing up dutifully to take “the temp on the skreets” every time some new gossip would unfold.
Used to have a pretty solid regime of checking the craig tap boards, Deluxe boards, skate daily, etc. & wound up with the impression that this place had the snarkasm dial turned to just the right spot for my tastes.
Of all things, it was the thread announcing the new Gring King Disruptor trucks that got me to finally create a user profile & start posting.
At first that @GK Satoshi fellow’s chipper demeanor galled me, but I came to love him for it in time.
I went in hard on our boy ChaDD Sinclair for a few posts initially too, but that Rojo Norteño won me over when he went wrist deep up that Feddy Potter dude’s ass & gave the works to those Scientologist bros at Remive.
I love when people I don’t care for at first give me cause to second guess myself & examine my motivations for disliking them. I usually discover an insecurity of my own & every once in a while I get the validation of finding out that person actually IS an asshole & I was right. So I win either way: thanks SLAP bloards.
Plus, I’ve met some cool people & made more than a few rad IRL friends in here.
I’m actually looking forward to meeting YOU, next time your in my neighborhood. Hit me up when you’re in the city.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2023, 11:27:51 PM »
Wordle 687 5/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟨🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2023, 02:55:27 AM »
Thank you for this thread OP. I was concerned there for a bit that me posting on here at 40+ meant I was a loser. Now I know I'm a superhero.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2023, 06:27:49 AM »
a guy i knew was in the old one in a million before the tv show and i came to see the thread ended up getting the beat down, felt like shit about it for a few days and then came back and never left. i always liked the rowdiness of the place. it does feel like it's lost it's edge a good bit.