Author Topic: What's your favorite band, and why?  (Read 7248 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1968
What's your favorite band, and why?
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
I don't want a list of artists that you like. I want to know what music has impacted you as a person that you feel some attachment to other than liking how it sounds. (Unless that's your only reason, that's cool too!)

My favorite is without a doubt Bomb The Music Industry. Besides their music being so original and interesting, their tracks are riddled with catchy, relatable lyrics that showcase themselves as some of the most honest songs I've ever heard. Not to mention how DIY based they are, releasing all of their music for free on their own donation-based record label, hand-made merch, and exclusively playing $10 all ages shows where fans were encouraged to learn their songs on any instrument and join them on stage. Although there's been tons of great music that has stuck with me through the years, I've established a stronger emotional attachment to Bomb The Music Industry than any other artist I've ever listened to, and has basically been the soundtrack to my latter high school years and my entire college career. They're definitely not everybody's cup of tea, but if you're curious, all of their music is on www.quoteunquoterecords.com

So anyway, pour your heart out about music you love, if you care enough. I thought it'd be fun to really go in depth as to why we like the music that we do. Post your favorite songs by them as well! (I'll probably do so later if this thread actually takes off.)

A.J.K.

Re: What's your favorite band, and why?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
Cool thread idea.  This section of the forum is usually pretty dead.

The National.

Found about them during a particularly shitty period of time, and the album High Violet just kind of clicked with me.  I'm going to sounds like a moron but listening to them was one of the few things I actually looked forward to in the day a couple years ago.  They can be really dark but retain a kind of light heartedness or contentment.  Matt Berninger's lyrics are somewhat abstract or ambiguous at times, but i'll paraphrase how i've heard him explain them and say that that allows the listener to find their own meaning in the music and insert whatever emotion they're feeling how they choose.  Lyrics aside, I absolutely love how they sound.  Like a more refined, modern, and less redundant Interpol at times but they really just sounds like themselves.

Stoked as fuck for their new album coming out in May.  

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:43:02 PM by A.J.K. »

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:54 PM »
Every Time I Die.

I started listening to them in 2007 and they were one of the first bands that started getting me into more aggressive music, and there hasn't been a song of theirs from any of their albums that i disliked.  their newest album ex lives was my personal album of 2012 and i believe their frontman keith buckley is one of the best vocalists and lyricists in metal/hardcore for sure.  even though their lyrics are pessimistic and negative, they've done a lot to shape me into the person i am today (i consider myself positive/optimistic), in terms of not taking people at face value and various other aspects.  i saw them live for the 3rd time last thursday the 14th and it was one of the most intense shows i've ever been to, in terms of the physical action and cathartic release for me.  afterwards i met and took photos with all the members at a nearby bar, which was definitely an awesome feeling.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
Jimi Hendrix, listen to this gem and you'll understand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=03ZI2Q2wu8A

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
Cocteau Twins because suck my dick.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
HAHAHA

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:11:12 AM »
Bob Dylan. Whatever any other artist wants to say, he's already said it better.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
Every Time I Die.

I started listening to them in 2007 and they were one of the first bands that started getting me into more aggressive music, and there hasn't been a song of theirs from any of their albums that i disliked.  their newest album ex lives was my personal album of 2012 and i believe their frontman keith buckley is one of the best vocalists and lyricists in metal/hardcore for sure.  even though their lyrics are pessimistic and negative, they've done a lot to shape me into the person i am today (i consider myself positive/optimistic), in terms of not taking people at face value and various other aspects.  i saw them live for the 3rd time last thursday the 14th and it was one of the most intense shows i've ever been to, in terms of the physical action and cathartic release for me.  afterwards i met and took photos with all the members at a nearby bar, which was definitely an awesome feeling.

I feel this with a lot of music. Since I brought them up in the subject, a lot of Bomb The Music Industry's songs are really sad. But their song writer isn't some mopey fuck, he's just a regular guy who has the same young adult problems as everybody else. They're just really easy to relate to, and are often filtered with a sense of hope and optimism. ("As we get older, everyday feels longer and although I know I'll struggle I will do my best to never get tired.") As a generally positive guy myself, I think writing negative music can be a great outlet I know the songs I've written are pretty sad, but I always feel better after playing them.

But here's a few songs like I said. They're a little hard to get into with their leaps in style and raw vocals, but check 'em out anyway!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 07:07:12 PM »
Probably the cure for me. Its the band that's gotten the most mileage over the years. They were in the first wave of bands after I started getting into music and they were the band that everyone else I met through those adolescent to adult transition years also liked. Closely followed by radiohead and nin, yeah, yeah, whatever. That's my shit.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
Probably the cure for me. Its the band that's gotten the most mileage over the years. They were in the first wave of bands after I started getting into music and they were the band that everyone else I met through those adolescent to adult transition years also liked. Closely followed by radiohead and nin, yeah, yeah, whatever. That's my shit.

ITS KINDA HARD TO DECIDE MY FAV CURE ALBUM ::)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:39:17 PM by BRIX SKWIKZ »

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 02:10:59 AM »
I'm ashamed to say, but my first favorite band was Green Day.  It didn't last long.  I was in grade school and pretty much all my music taste came from my older sisters and their old cassette tapes.  I listened to "Nimrod" on my walk-man dozens of times.  Makes sense that I hate all Green Day now.
From about fifth grade until now, but not as strongly, my favorite band was Rage Against the Machine.  They were so militant and different from all the radio pop music.  Their imagery, lyrics, and message really connected with me as a confused pre-adolescent.  I loved all their cds and cover art.  The whole rap-metal thing is pretty silly to me and I'm glad I never explored the genre any further.

Right now, I'd venture to say my favorite band without question is The White Stripes.  I absolutely love every album they've released.  They're the only band I've watched a documentary about.  I like how premeditated their image and story is.  I think Jack White is one of the greatest and most talented musicians of all time.  Meg is a fox that I'd want to marry me.  Girls that play instruments are really attractive to me.  Also, her drumming is just so primal and aggressive.  I don't think they've ever made a bad song.  They're so brilliant that sometimes their lyrics just randomly float through my head during the day.  It's difficult for me to pick a favorite song or album.  Their sound was always changing and their albums each explored new territory.  They were brave and adventurous and mysterious. 
When they dissolved in 2011 I realized they were my favorite band and that they had been for the last five or six years. 
I made a promise to myself that if they ever reunite and play shows again that I will be there.

Sgt.Pepper

• Rep: -167
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »
Probably gonna have to go with The Beatles. When I was heading into 9th grade I started to grow a interest in music from the 60s and 70s and really just a interest in music in general. I just had always listened to what ever my dad played (Nirvana,Green Day,Flogging Molly,etc.) and random shitty mainstream rap songs.  There was just something about the Beatles that really got to me. The lyrics were great, the wide range of tunes from country to ballads to hard rockers. I'll never forget when my grandma got me Sgt. Pepper for my b-day. I was hooked, I had to hear it all.  People always give me shit about how their sooooooo overated and what not but I didn't care, hell they have plenty of underrated stuff like the Beatles For Sale album is a great gem,tunes like

and even now that I'm big into punk and 80s hardcore and love to play punk music, I always site The Beatles as a huge influence. They'll always have a huge place in my heart.
"I'd be a teenage virgin, jerking off in my bedroom
 if I wasnt a 20 year old virgin that didn't have a bedroom."

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
yeah, The Beatles are the best. First band i liked as a child
Nirvana was good too

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »
Red hot chili pepper is probably my favorite, they make awesome music and have been able to kinda reinvent themselves throughout the years managing to stay fresh for a long time. They also are all super talented musicians, which helps a lot.

Also Rage against the machine will always be one of my favorites and Audioslave as well

could someone explain to me why everybody seems to hate on Green Day? I mean they're not my favorite band, but they make ok catchy songs
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:53:00 PM by ben shraider »

dillanharp

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »
Smashing Pumpkins. Siamese Dream was the frist album I purchased on CD. I think I've repurchased that album at least 5 times since it came out.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
SIAMESE DREAMS ROCKS

Sgt.Pepper

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »
Red hot chili pepper is probably my favorite, they make awesome music and have been able to kinda reinvent themselves throughout the years managing to stay fresh for a long time. They also are all super talented musicians, which helps a lot.

Also Rage against the machine will always be one of my favorites and Audioslave as well

could someone explain to me why everybody seems to hate on Green Day? I mean they're not my favorite band, but they make ok catchy songs
I think their stuff from 89 to the mid 90s is great. it's just around when American Idiot came out the whole Hot Topic "emo punk" look became cool with da kids and all those bands like AFI and MCR n what not started wearing eyeliner and Green Day hopped on the look. At least that's what I think. I haven't really liked anything they did after 90s with a few execpts like Holiday and boulevard of broken dreams because I grew up with those songs. 

steenz

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »
Rudimentary Peni cuz their crazy

luc

• Rep: -118
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
nice thread.. ive wanted to find more music lately.

anyways MAGNETIC FIELDS

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:56:19 AM by luc »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »
four non-blondes

ShihtzuEnthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 09:19:31 PM »
Not exactly a band, but I'm pretty fond of about anything Richard D. James puts out. I just really connect with his music. He's really diverse with his songwriting, ranging from beautiful to energetic to absolutely terrifying. It's really inspirational to me.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think their stuff from 89 to the mid 90s is great. it's just around when American Idiot came out the whole Hot Topic "emo punk" look became cool with da kids and all those bands like AFI and MCR n what not started wearing eyeliner and Green Day hopped on the look. At least that's what I think. I haven't really liked anything they did after 90s with a few execpts like Holiday and boulevard of broken dreams because I grew up with those songs. 

Their new albums (Uno, Dos, Tres) actually have some decent songs on them. Even American Idiot had some catchy tracks. But 21st Century Guns was horrible, and I think Billy Joe Armstrong is kind of a bitch.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Their new albums (Uno, Dos, Tres) actually have some decent songs on them. Even American Idiot had some catchy tracks. But 21st Century Guns was horrible, and I think Billy Joe Armstrong is kind of a bitch.
i thought the second half of 21st century was much MUCH better than the crappy ass first half.  jesus of suburbia is a great song too, i throw it on every now and then

oldgoodburger

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 11:33:07 PM »
Neil Young (& Crazy Horse)

All of Rust Never Sleeps is fantastic. However My My, Hey Hey (the out of the blue) really puts me in a mood like no other song. it's really helped me in a way, whenever I get upset I still just put this song on repeat and just think about life. It's the song that can make me think that nothing even matters anymore.

Sgt.Pepper

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »
Neil Young (& Crazy Horse)

All of Rust Never Sleeps is fantastic. However My My, Hey Hey (the out of the blue) really puts me in a mood like no other song. it's really helped me in a way, whenever I get upset I still just put this song on repeat and just think about life. It's the song that can make me think that nothing even matters anymore.
Fuckin love neil. He's in my top 5 favorite artists for sure.  He's so fuckin great live with Crazy Horse. They blew me away.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 03:58:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
i thought the second half of 21st century was much MUCH better than the crappy ass first half.  jesus of suburbia is a great song too, i throw it on every now and then

So basically most of you are more concerned on their appearance and personalities than the music.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 07:31:02 AM »
No, I find that Greenday is just shit in general.

Melvins aren't my favorite band, they're just the best band. My favorite band is The Minutemen. Favorite solo artist is Tom Waits.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »
kyuss were not bad too

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
Agreed.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 08:07:59 AM »
I don't have an all time favorite band, to me it is impossible to choose. As of now, it has been for some time, Muse is on heavy rotation. I got into Muse fairly late. The Resistance was my first album. My mom used to work at a library and she bring home every new album they got. I notice the Muse album. The cover art looked interested so i decided to check it out. I couldn't appreciate the album at first but I heard potential. I just kept the CD in my car for two weeks, listening to the album over and over. The sound, vocals and lyrics are just perfect. Besides "Feel Good", they haven't released anything bad.

This is probably my favorite Muse song