Author Topic: What are the modern go to filming setups ?  (Read 1506 times)

ClayH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
What are the modern go to filming setups ?
« on: February 09, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »
Since most stuff is HD these days, I know a lot of dudes are on the HVX/ Xtreme combo, but with that setup being as pricey as it is, what are the alternatives? I know a lot of people do a hybrid setup with DSLRS for fish and something else for long lens, but I’m interested in what single cam setups are like for dudes that are filming HD.

Do we even have a modern standard other than VX/ HVX?
I realize this is a loaded question, but I’ve been pondering modern filming set ups for the last few weeks and trying to dig without much luck.

If there’s already a thread for this that my search couldn’t find, or a better place for it, that’s my bad.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
Re: What are the modern go to filming setups ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 12:37:49 PM »
Yes, The most common is the Panasonic HPX170 with century extreme fisheye. The HVX is a bit older (not that the HPX is new). I wouldn’t say there’s really a standard one other than that.

There’s tons of alternatives what’s your budget/what are you willing and able to spend? That will be the main deciding factor for you most likely.

There’s tons of great cameras out there that won’t cost you more than a few thousand. You can even go cheaper. Here’s a similar thread with some suggestions as well.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115219.0

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »
Yes, The most common is the Panasonic HPX170 with century extreme fisheye. The HVX is a bit older (not that the HPX is new). I wouldn’t say there’s really a standard one other than that.

There’s tons of alternatives what’s your budget/what are you willing and able to spend? That will be the main deciding factor for you most likely.

There’s tons of great cameras out there that won’t cost you more than a few thousand. You can even go cheaper. Here’s a similar thread with some suggestions as well.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115219.0

Sorry I should’ve clarified, I’m not asking because I’m looking for a new setup myself. I just like knowing what dudes are filming on these days and I know there’s some non VX/ HVX or DSLR setups floating around these days. I phrased my question horribly that’s my bad.

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 12:48:01 PM »
clearly the preferred HD do-it-all cameras that are actual camcorders with a motorized servo zoom are the Panasonics, which people also use MK2s on for fisheye if the Xtreme is too much $. I think people just go with what they see the professionals using, and there has been a shift towards HVX/HPX from miniDV tapes for most of the last decade. there is surprisingly few people using Sony or Canon's equivalent of DVCPRO HD that would record to solid-state media, which I think is XDCAM.

some people are using the Sony FS series, usually FS7 at this point. but that's an interchangeable lens camera, and there's nothing to really replicate the feel of zooming on a camcorder short of a follow focus system, which can be kinda bulky.

Dan Stolling uses one of the Sony alpha cameras for long lens at night, and the footage looks amazing. I'd imagine it would take a similar fisheye as any Panasonic GH camera if you were to use it for that.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:55:55 PM »
I had no idea the HVX200 is going for like ~$500 now. No wonder it's the go-to. Imagine paying the same or even a little more for a VX  :'(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Panasonic-HVX200-w-many-extras-Priced-to-sell/363330988379