Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720379 times)

WorkClothscape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #2100 on: October 26, 2019, 12:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have 52 mm f4 radials and I am looking to go up in size (54-55) with a wider contact patch.

Been working on slappies and I am wondering if certain wheel shapes make it harder to slappy.

Any one have any feedback with conicals, full conicals, and tablets for slappies?

Lots of Tablets for sale but not to many conical or conical full sizes out there right now. I would think lock-ins and tables would be very hard to slappy with but classics would be the best. Any recommendations?
[close]

Opinions will differ, but for me, nothing beats a spit classic for slappies, they just roll onto curbs.

Loose Aces and Spit classics = slappie heaven.
[close]

I got 55 mm classics 99a and they are terrific for slappies. You really roll right up on the curb. I thought the classics would lack grip because of the smaller contact patch, but the wheels had plenty of grip. Very pleased with my purchase.
[close]

Width of the contact patch does not have any effect on grip.
[close]

That is why drag race cars use really narrow wheels in the back.

The drag race car accelerating is a more complex system. The skate wheel grip is basically a sliding friction between the ground and the wheel, and the width of the contact patch of the wheel does not have any effect.

weedgod94

« Reply #2101 on: October 26, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »
The skate wheel grip is basically a sliding friction between the ground and the wheel, and the width of the contact patch of the wheel does not have any effect.

WorkClothscape

« Reply #2102 on: October 26, 2019, 09:12:18 AM »
Expand Quote
The skate wheel grip is basically a sliding friction between the ground and the wheel, and the width of the contact patch of the wheel does not have any effect.
[close]

What's your point?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2103 on: October 26, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
A wheel like that in 99 f4 would obviously be grippier than classics. That fact about friction does not work with skate wheels. We are grinding the wheels down, wider contact patch means more material to wear down, which means more grip.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2104 on: October 26, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »
Probably going to get some conical fulls for this big boy board I'm setting up.  I understand the pros, but are there any cons.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2105 on: October 27, 2019, 12:36:01 AM »
A wheel like that in 99 f4 would obviously be grippier than classics. That fact about friction does not work with skate wheels. We are grinding the wheels down, wider contact patch means more material to wear down, which means more grip.

Why not? What makes skateboard wheels special that basic physics do not apply to them? Wider contact patch means more material to wear down and better roll over uneven ground but how would it mean more grip?

https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae140.cfm

"Although a larger area of contact between two surfaces would create a larger source of frictional forces, it also reduces the pressure between the two surfaces for a given force holding them together. Since pressure equals force divided by the area of contact, it works out that the increase in friction generating area is exactly offset by the reduction in pressure; the resulting frictional forces, then, are dependent only on the frictional coefficient of the materials and the FORCE holding them together.

If you were to increase the force as you increased the area to keep PRESSURE the same, then increasing the area WOULD increase the frictional force between the two surfaces.
Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A. Physics, Part-time Physics Instructor"

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #2106 on: October 27, 2019, 04:35:06 AM »
So you honestly don't think that wheel in an f4 would be grippier than classics, because physics?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #2107 on: October 27, 2019, 04:41:43 AM »
It gets a lot more complicated when you figure wheels aren’t perfect, neither is the ground, forces are applied differently whether rolling or sliding, skating flat vs tranny, etc.

Get your BA in physics to give a textbook definition of sliding friction (all things controlled) but pump around a bowl on 52mm classics and 56mm conical fulls, and suddenly Mr. Walorski’s science seems flimsy.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2108 on: October 27, 2019, 05:13:19 AM »
I back F4's but PLEASE make them white, so sick of them looking like potatoes

So get Bones kid.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2109 on: October 27, 2019, 10:09:42 AM »
So you honestly don't think that wheel in an f4 would be grippier than classics, because physics?

Yes. So far I haven't come across anything that would suggest otherwise. No scientific proof nor do I find any difference in how classics and conical fulls slide. I know it's not intuitive. It is a massively common misconception that larger surface area (or wider wheels) has more grip but there just isn't any evidence to back it.

Diocletian

« Reply #2110 on: October 27, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »
Spitfire classic formula is inferior and slightly grippier than formula fours, no doubt. They wear down faster, too. Gets the job done but it’s worth spending the extra $5-$10 for the F4.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #2111 on: October 27, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
Spitfire classic formula is inferior and slightly grippier than formula fours, no doubt. They wear down faster, too. Gets the job done but it’s worth spending the extra $5-$10 for the F4.

This is why we need a Manderson F4
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
« Reply #2112 on: October 27, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

get conical fulls in 53mm
hardly art, hardly starving

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2113 on: October 28, 2019, 05:32:02 AM »
I still like the classics, even though they feel kinda slow. Had a pair of orange conical full classics this summer, liked them til they got super coned.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2114 on: October 28, 2019, 06:02:32 AM »
gotta rotate your tires
🤙

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2115 on: October 28, 2019, 06:11:31 AM »
gotta rotate your tires
Yeah need to rotate my F4's soon, my conicals are getting coned.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #2116 on: October 28, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Couldn't agree more!

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2117 on: October 28, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Couldn't agree more!
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #2118 on: October 28, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »
I heard a really shitty rumor this weekend. Supposedly, the guy who owns the F4 formula and factory where they are made is calling it quits with skateboard wheels and moving on. And taking his secret formula with him. My local is getting a shipment of F4's this week and then that's it. No more. It seems almost unbelievable that Spitfire would not pay whatever the cost to keep making these wonderful wheels. But that's what I heard. Really hoping this is untrue. But to be safe, I  just ordered 8 sets online this morning.
I was a bit of a late comer to the F4 hype. I got my first set maybe 4 or 5 years ago. But fell in love instantly. They honestly changed skating for me and made it more fun, if that's possible. They are that good and better than any other wheel. I've been skating for 35 years; and not since the advent of boards growing noses has something changed skating so much and in such a good way as F4s, imo.
Hopefully LennyDLXSF can get on here and dispell this nasty rumor. Please...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:38:58 PM by handsclapanin »

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2119 on: October 28, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »
Worst case scenario I'll go back to classics. Hopefully they'll make all the shapes in those.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

thebacker

« Reply #2120 on: October 28, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »
I heard a really shitty rumor this weekend. Supposedly, the guy who owns the F4 formula and factory where they are made is calling it quits with skateboard wheels and moving on. And taking his secret formula with him. My local is getting a shipment of F4's this week and then that's it. No more. It seems almost unbelievable that Spitfire would not pay whatever the cost to keep making these wonderful wheels. But that's what I heard. Really hoping this is untrue. But to be safe, I  just ordered 8 sets online this morning.
I was a bit of a late comer to the F4 hype. I got my first set maybe 4 or 5 years ago. But fell in love instantly. They honestly changed skating for me and made it more fun, if that's possible. They are that good and better than any other wheel. I've been skating for 35 years; and not since the advent of boards growing noses has something changed skating so much and in such a good way as F4s, imo.
Hopefully LennyDLXSF can get on here and dispsell this nasty rumor. Please...

you shut your whore mouth

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #2121 on: October 28, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you shut your whore mouth

SERIOUSLY. Don’t tell me F4s are done, this is like hearing your girl say “I think we should take a break” meaning an inevitable break up is gonna happen. C’mon babe, we can work it out.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

weedgod94

« Reply #2122 on: October 28, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. So far I haven't come across anything that would suggest otherwise. No scientific proof nor do I find any difference in how classics and conical fulls slide. I know it's not intuitive. It is a massively common misconception that larger surface area (or wider wheels) has more grip but there just isn't any evidence to back it.
I'm guessing most of the difference in grip comes from the lip shape. So a classic with that huge bevel is obviously gonna grip less than like a tablet.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #2123 on: October 28, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
Crazy.  I had been wondering why on earth Spitfire has been pushing their Classic Formula lately.  Maybe they knew about this ahead of time. 

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2124 on: October 28, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »
And to think they wasted so much of the last of the F4 formula on colored wheels.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2125 on: October 28, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »

This better be some kind of sick and twisted joke...

That being said, I'm sure I got some Made in Mexico F4s awhile back? And doesn't that dude you speak of have his own wheel company also?

But yes, also noticing an increased push with the Classic formula... hmmm....

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2126 on: October 28, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That being said, I'm sure I got some Made in Mexico F4s awhile back? And doesn't that dude you speak of have his own wheel company also?

What is this other wheel company you speak of?

Mesteezo

• Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2127 on: October 28, 2019, 11:26:13 AM »
Spitfire realised they fucked up making F4s so durable so now they're forcing everybody to go back to flatspot city classics knowing that skaters will go through classics faster than f4s.

I don't wanna go back.

thebacker

« Reply #2128 on: October 28, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What is this other wheel company you speak of?

loophole wheels

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #2129 on: October 28, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
Lenny of DLX  :(

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"