Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 721162 times)

Diocletian

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3330 on: March 25, 2021, 08:41:57 AM »
I'm just praying that they come out with some 60mm conical fulls or even the OG classics shape in a 97a duro. I feel weird skating other brands just to find this size/duro combo. NFG had the 95a's in the "vee" shape in 58-60mm I believe, but it's too much of a straight cut on the sides and I imagine it will make slappies/coping a bit uncomfortable even though it's a softer duro.

greenreese

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
« Reply #3331 on: March 25, 2021, 08:49:39 AM »
I put conical fulls on my egg and not really stoked on them. Feels harder to look into crooks and with Thunders they stick on noseslides a lot. Will the rounded side of the OG classic be a bit better?

OG Classics have a more square cut than the Conical Fulls.  Almost like a sidecut tablet.  They don't have that big taper like the normal Classics.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3332 on: March 25, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »
I put conical fulls on my egg and not really stoked on them. Feels harder to look into crooks and with Thunders they stick on noseslides a lot. Will the rounded side of the OG classic be a bit better?

I believe the solution for you may be radials, my friend.  Wide and super grippy, but with a rounded sidewall that doesn't bow like a classic.  They lock in in on bowl coping really nice, won't loop out easily at full speed, slide nicely when you want, and are great on ledges and flatbars.  I'm on radials right now while on a huge crooked grind kick, and they feel great.  I also think they're better for flatground stuff than conical fulls because the radial sidewall tips a little easier for scoopy stuff like 360 flips, but that could be in my head. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1967
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3333 on: March 25, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »
Seconded on Radial Sims, like them more than Tablets.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3334 on: March 25, 2021, 09:55:51 AM »

Radial Slims are the best shape!

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3335 on: March 25, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »
One session down with my first F4s (99A Tablets). I am blown away by how perfectly balanced they feel. I wanted considerably more grip and a smoother ride on rough ground compared to Bones SPF 84B, but was hoping for similar slide and speed. They totally deliver.

Doing flat tricks on asphalt they felt much more forgiving, really smooth but nevertheless with a controlled slide. In the concrete bowl I didn’t feel a notable difference in slide but was able to push the corners much harder without wiping out. Didn’t skate any ledges today but I am not too worried since I don’t do Nose- and Tailslides.

Bottomline, I am glad the 97A weren’t available in any of the wide shapes when I ordered, 99A feels just right. Still keen to try 97A Tablets or Conical Full at some point but I think I found my perfect wheel. Thanks to everyone who helped me make up my mind in this thread!

ballintoohard

« Reply #3336 on: March 25, 2021, 11:21:17 AM »
Great, the perfect shapes are the ones I can never find in natural colored 99a

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #3337 on: March 25, 2021, 12:37:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Radial Slims are the best shape!

Slims dont get enough love, hopefully we start seeing more around soon

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3338 on: March 25, 2021, 02:00:07 PM »
I just purchased the 97 F4 56 classics from my local. I have this theory in my head that has me convinced I'm going to feel like I'm riding regular 99 56 MM wheels. This being because formula 4 usually feels like a harder durometer compared to the classic urethane so being in 97 formula 4 I think it's going to feel like a 99 but either way I'm excited to try them. I just barely purchased my first set of formula for wheels a couple months back the 52 mm conical folds and I absolutely love them but since moving to St Louis and skating a lot of crusty spots I need to get a significantly bigger wheel.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3339 on: March 25, 2021, 06:03:37 PM »
Great, the perfect shapes are the ones I can never find in natural colored 99a

From those two boards you put up in the other thread, swap over the wheels and see what a difference it makes on the other setup too.

So you had just normal classics, now you bought conical full, which are about the same width overall, but the conical full are much squarer at the riding surface and definitely catch a lot more on things like crooked grinds, but once you are more used to them, they still work just as well for almost everything else.

Skate the classics again and compare the difference.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3340 on: March 25, 2021, 06:20:16 PM »
Managed to get a set from a zumiez a couple towns over, they only had one and figured I'd scoop em up

Space Monkey

• Rep: 35
« Reply #3341 on: March 25, 2021, 08:06:41 PM »
Perspective on that picture is trippy.
Looks like 2 completely different sizes of wheels.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #3342 on: March 25, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »
I just purchased the 97 F4 56 classics from my local. I have this theory in my head that has me convinced I'm going to feel like I'm riding regular 99 56 MM wheels. This being because formula 4 usually feels like a harder durometer compared to the classic urethane so being in 97 formula 4 I think it's going to feel like a 99 but either way I'm excited to try them. I just barely purchased my first set of formula for wheels a couple months back the 52 mm conical folds and I absolutely love them but since moving to St Louis and skating a lot of crusty spots I need to get a significantly bigger wheel.

What’s your setup? I ask because 56 is tall as hell, for me. You using risers or whut

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3343 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What’s your setup? I ask because 56 is tall as hell, for me. You using risers or whut

Yep but when they wear to 53-54 mm they are perfect. I am putting them on venture 5.2 hi with risers

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1345
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3344 on: March 29, 2021, 12:16:40 AM »

I look at the pack in card that got posted earlier in the thread on the regular so I thought I'd update with most recent card. This one is from the CF 97As so is about as fresh as you can get.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3345 on: March 29, 2021, 04:10:56 AM »
I look at the pack in card that got posted earlier in the thread on the regular so I thought I'd update with most recent card. This one is from the CF 97As so is about as fresh as you can get.

Thanks!

That is so good with all dimensions very easy to see, actually easier than looking at the card I have here which seems to have the same information.

I don't recall seeing Radials in 57mm, which are on the card. * Just looked them up - they were the Oski special editions.

Every other size I have had in the shop before covid or at least seen in some form or other, including the Kader special edition Radials in 58mm that I don't think I would ever see again.

Anyone else missing any shapes or sizes that they had out before things went ass up?

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3346 on: March 29, 2021, 10:54:17 AM »
Are Lock-ins discontinued? I have not seen them in a while.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3347 on: March 29, 2021, 11:21:30 AM »

My friends who swear by Lock-ins always complain about availability. One of them bought 10 packs or something when he visited NYC before the pandemic. Definitely dedicated to this wheel. I don’t quite get the appeal, aren’t Tablets the lighter Lock-ins?

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3348 on: March 29, 2021, 12:48:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My friends who swear by Lock-ins always complain about availability. One of them bought 10 packs or something when he visited NYC before the pandemic. Definitely dedicated to this wheel. I don’t quite get the appeal, aren’t Tablets the lighter Lock-ins?

My experience with lock-ins vs. tablets is that the lock-ins have a wider riding surface and the tablets feel super thin. The rounded outside edge of the lock-ins is nice too for doing slappies or getting onto a ledge bc I find that if I don’t have enough height the rounded edge rolls onto the ledge/curb and then the conical edge on the inside keeps me locked in. This could all be just my own gear madness but I keep coming back to my old faithful lock-ins and having a better experience than with tablets

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3349 on: March 29, 2021, 04:43:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My experience with lock-ins vs. tablets is that the lock-ins have a wider riding surface and the tablets feel super thin. The rounded outside edge of the lock-ins is nice too for doing slappies or getting onto a ledge bc I find that if I don’t have enough height the rounded edge rolls onto the ledge/curb and then the conical edge on the inside keeps me locked in. This could all be just my own gear madness but I keep coming back to my old faithful lock-ins and having a better experience than with tablets

There are definitely some Lock-ins around, but maybe as has been said before, tablets have the same inside edge and as per the chart above, almost the same dimensions (and riding surface) in the same sizes without the curved outside edge, so the push more towards tablets has been a bit more pronounced.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3350 on: March 30, 2021, 04:41:13 AM »
The 56mm 97a Classics are my fuckin' wheel.  LOVE em.  Great for slappies, too. They just pop onto the curbs unlike my old bones STF.  And the touch of give while still being a hard wheel is fuckin' sick.

SuperRupp

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3351 on: April 01, 2021, 02:23:57 AM »
Just getting back into skating. Setup a new board with Swiss 6s in a pair of 97a 54mm classics on some Indy hollows. Seems to be working quite well so far.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3352 on: April 06, 2021, 01:34:23 PM »
Had an issue with one wheel in a set of 80HD chargers - bearing would fall out - and wrote to Spitfire. They sent me a set of the 97a conicals (as they were out of Chargers) as a replacement. I'm excited to set those up.

And as an added plus, when I told my local shop I got the Chargers from about it, they said they had a bunch of batches with bad wheels and gave me a loosey from a different set they popped open.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3353 on: April 06, 2021, 01:43:44 PM »
Had an issue with one wheel in a set of 80HD chargers - bearing would fall out - and wrote to Spitfire. They sent me a set of the 97a conicals (as they were out of Chargers) as a replacement. I'm excited to set those up.

And as an added plus, when I told my local shop I got the Chargers from about it, they said they had a bunch of batches with bad wheels and gave me a loosey from a different set they popped open.

go nuts with those 97a conicals. The 97a formula rules. Chargers are something to stay away from to be honest, I’d move to another brand for a true cruiser wheel sad to say

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3354 on: April 06, 2021, 01:50:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
go nuts with those 97a conicals. The 97a formula rules. Chargers are something to stay away from to be honest, I’d move to another brand for a true cruiser wheel sad to say
I’ve had two sets of chargers probably ten years apart and both sucked. The ricta clouds were the play for me

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3355 on: April 06, 2021, 01:54:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have the 97a classics on one of my setups and love em. So I plan on sitting on the conicals until I wear out the classics. 

I got the Chargers for a wide 10" curb/crust board. I have em on already, so I'm just gonna run with them for now. Worst case, I'll jump to OJ keyframes instead.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3356 on: April 06, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »
Where the fuck are those 97a F4OG classics at?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3357 on: April 06, 2021, 02:09:36 PM »

Haha I had three bad batches of chargers and finally wrote to them about the last one. They offered me a replacement set and I asked for 99a’s. They agreed, then sent me another set of chargers haha

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3358 on: April 06, 2021, 02:27:20 PM »
only classic and conical full to my knowledge. I think the OG classic 97a was a misprint/rumor only

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3359 on: April 06, 2021, 05:29:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
only classic and conical full to my knowledge. I think the OG classic 97a was a misprint/rumor only

That's a bummer, I was holding out...just bit on the 97a 54mm conical fulls that are out....so be it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:51:48 PM by Xen »