Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720387 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3930 on: March 17, 2022, 06:54:49 PM »
Expand Quote
I just got some regular conicals love them so far. I think they may be pre pandemic because radial full isn’t listed on the card. Some here to hoping I avoid the bearing and other issues
[close]

I could definitely be wrong, but I thought the only wheels that have Radial Full on the card is the Radial Full wheels.

All others still have the normal Radials in the eight wheel shapes.

Saw some brand new ones which are definitely from the most recent drop (graphic) and they were the usual eight.

Re pre pandemic wheels, I think there were not a whole lot of them left, given they were in such short supply, almost sold out everywhere, even though there would be some shops / places that still had a lot.

I have had at least twenty sets through my hands that I know are post pandemic and only one of those had a single wobbly wheel.

Oh I didn’t know only radial fulls was only listen on the radial full cards.
I also forgot there was a wheel shortage when they was selling like hotcakes so now I’m pretty positive mine is pandemic or current earth spitfire run.
So far mine seem fine when I out a bearing in one did go in crooked which is kinda weird thing cause I do it with the bearing on the truck and pushed the wheel over it. But I popped the beating back out and it went in flush little tight of a fit but everything looked good.

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
« Reply #3931 on: March 18, 2022, 06:45:44 PM »
I do have a pic of the card with Spitfire Classic Full wheels too, but the sizes are not correct past 53mm, so I added to this one, which I feel is still not quite correct, but closer than what it was before.
The Classic Full Repeater in 54mm is 34mm wide, so the card is accurate on that one.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3932 on: March 18, 2022, 10:49:02 PM »
Expand Quote
I do have a pic of the card with Spitfire Classic Full wheels too, but the sizes are not correct past 53mm, so I added to this one, which I feel is still not quite correct, but closer than what it was before.
[close]
The Classic Full Repeater in 54mm is 34mm wide, so the card is accurate on that one.

Yes I made a mess of that one.

I really only get the 56 and 58mm Classic Full wheels, which are a lot wider in real life, but were actually less than the Classics on the standard card, with one set of used 54mm Classic Full coming after I did that "fix" which I had been meaning to correct but hadn't gotten around to it.

* Edit

I had a dig through some boxes and found not only the old Classic Full cards, but also a set of the Spitfire Cardiel Charro wheels (from 2015), which are actually 54.5 mm and they measure 35 wide with 19 contact (maybe even 19.5 mm contact).

So the sizes are really as follows:

Classic Full chart correct to 54mm and measurements just taken again on wheels I have:

52       33       18
53       33.5    18.5
54       34       19
54.5    35       19.5
56       37       22.5
58       38       24

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:31:01 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #3933 on: March 19, 2022, 08:19:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yes I made a mess of that one.

I really only get the 56 and 58mm Classic Full wheels, which are a lot wider in real life, but were actually less than the Classics on the standard card, with one set of used 54mm Classic Full coming after I did that "fix" which I had been meaning to correct but hadn't gotten around to it.

* Edit

I had a dig through some boxes and found not only the old Classic Full cards, but also a set of the Spitfire Cardiel Charro wheels (from 2015), which are actually 54.5 mm and they measure 35 wide with 19 contact (maybe even 19.5 mm contact).

So the sizes are really as follows:

Classic Full chart correct to 54mm and measurements just taken again on wheels I have:

52       33       18
53       33.5    18.5
54       34       19
54.5    35       19.5
56       37       22.5
58       38       24

damn, got my hopes up for a sec that these were in a new drop

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3934 on: March 19, 2022, 06:39:44 PM »

It is a funny one.

They are a good sized wheel, but with that Cardiel graphic, I keep thinking I can skate other wheels and hold on to these.

Usually the first thing I do is take the graphic off anyway, as I just want the wheels for how they perform.

Right now the Spitfire Repeaters which are Classic Full come in 52 and 54 mm in natural, 53 mm in black, with quite a few still around if you wanted that size wheel.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #3935 on: March 20, 2022, 01:40:15 AM »
Since the repeaters came up again, I thought some of you might like a flashback. 60mm power cored (97DU outer, 100DU inner) Spitfires from around 2000.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3936 on: March 20, 2022, 06:09:46 AM »
Since the repeaters came up again, I thought some of you might like a flashback. 60mm power cored (97DU outer, 100DU inner) Spitfires from around 2000.

That's so good!

I still have some other Power Cored wheels but none like that.

The old 95 and 97 duro wheels were really good for a lot of things back then.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3937 on: March 20, 2022, 08:15:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It is a funny one.

They are a good sized wheel, but with that Cardiel graphic, I keep thinking I can skate other wheels and hold on to these.

Usually the first thing I do is take the graphic off anyway, as I just want the wheels for how they perform.

Right now the Spitfire Repeaters which are Classic Full come in 52 and 54 mm in natural, 53 mm in black, with quite a few still around if you wanted that size wheel.

Been skating the 52 mm Repeaters and just bought a set of 54 mm ones in a sale. Figured if I wear them down to 50-52 mm I’ll have my perfect wheel since small Radials don’t seem to make it into the catalogue (last year’s colored wheels are not an option).

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3938 on: March 20, 2022, 10:17:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It is a funny one.

What’s your process for taking the graphics off? Sorry if it’s been posted already

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3939 on: March 20, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »

What’s your process for taking the graphics off? Sorry if it’s been posted already

-Put two bearings in each wheel
-Mount to trucks, graphics facing in
-find curb or coping
-skate for an hour or two
-graphics will be gone (mostly)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3940 on: March 20, 2022, 05:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

-Put two bearings in each wheel
-Mount to trucks, graphics facing in
-find curb or coping
-skate for an hour or two
-graphics will be gone (mostly)

Ha yeah that usually works.

I know some people use a razor blade and scrape them off too, which is usually not too painful, but gets the paint off fairly well.

The two other options I usually go with are as follows:

1. The natural / nothing else needed way - graphics out and on medium grade concrete hold the board on an angle so the wheels are all that is on the ground and move the board back left and right but pull towards you a bit, which drags the face of the wheels in such a way that it takes the graphic straight off - best on Classic and Classic Full wheels more than anything that has the graphic sitting inside the line, such as Conical Full or OG Classics.

2. The angle grinder - graphics out, wheels on board and just run the grinder lightly on the surface of the wheel, which will take as much of the graphic straight off with minimal fuss, but can also wear in bearings nicely too, or really get the lube right in old bearings well if you have just cleaned them.

This post, last couple of pics from angle grinding - should be able to view on here even with out an instagram account:

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #3941 on: March 20, 2022, 06:58:42 PM »

not op but i just sanded them off of my f4 og classics with a grip scrap. tried nail polish remover but it did nothing. the urethane might be stained a little bit from the graphic, hard to tell though as i had 55s so it was yellow.

@mbrimson88 did a bit of a cleaner job though. looks so clean.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3942 on: March 20, 2022, 10:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

not op but i just sanded them off of my f4 og classics with a grip scrap. tried nail polish remover but it did nothing. the urethane might be stained a little bit from the graphic, hard to tell though as i had 55s so it was yellow.

@Mbrimson88 did a bit of a cleaner job though. looks so clean.

Now I am used to it, the little Ryobi angle grinder is so handy for lots of things, but I know a lot of people look at me in horror when I get it out to "fix their board" be it to reshape, round off or take graphics off the wheels, rounding down the kingpins or cutting busted nuts off, or even tidying up really chipped edges or ends of decks, or cutting wheel wells in boards too.  It has so many good uses.

For anyone wanting to try it, go for some old parts first just to get used to it, as I know some people have thought it looked easy and then messed up stuff quite quickly by doing it wrong.

The disc should spin beside the wheel, so when it touches, the wheel will also spin with it.

For other things, go easy and don't apply too much pressure.  The heat can cook and melt bushings when cutting kingpins or kingpin nuts or you can burn right into decks and start a fire if you are not careful.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #3943 on: March 21, 2022, 02:58:17 AM »
Wanted to give an update. Once the bearing were set in my og classics correctly they haven’t come out of the seat. Also spitfire got back to me and are sending another set of kaders. Will not be skating the replacement wheels till these wear out but I’m hoping there won’t be any issues. Spitfires still the best wheels I’ve ever skated

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3944 on: March 21, 2022, 05:25:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

@Mbrimson88 did a bit of a cleaner job though. looks so clean.
[close]

Now I am used to it, the little Ryobi angle grinder is so handy for lots of things, but I know a lot of people look at me in horror when I get it out to "fix their board" be it to reshape, round off or take graphics off the wheels, rounding down the kingpins or cutting busted nuts off, or even tidying up really chipped edges or ends of decks, or cutting wheel wells in boards too.  It has so many good uses.

For anyone wanting to try it, go for some old parts first just to get used to it, as I know some people have thought it looked easy and then messed up stuff quite quickly by doing it wrong.

The disc should spin beside the wheel, so when it touches, the wheel will also spin with it.

For other things, go easy and don't apply too much pressure.  The heat can cook and melt bushings when cutting kingpins or kingpin nuts or you can burn right into decks and start a fire if you are not careful.

wouldnt be simpler for anyone who doesnt need to own this tool to use something like acetone to wipe the graphic off

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3945 on: March 21, 2022, 06:41:08 AM »
wouldnt be simpler for anyone who doesnt need to own this tool to use something like acetone to wipe the graphic off
Always be careful with acetone + plastic'ish stuffs. Sometimes it's OK, often...it's not.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3946 on: March 21, 2022, 07:44:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Always be careful with acetone + plastic'ish stuffs. Sometimes it's OK, often...it's not.

Alcohol (IPA) + scrubbing sponge removes wheel graphics safely. Takes some scrubbing but works. Cannot have graphics facing outward so I need to apply this treatment to Classics that have label prints on the otherwise blank side.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3947 on: March 21, 2022, 08:33:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Alcohol (IPA) + scrubbing sponge removes wheel graphics safely. Takes some scrubbing but works. Cannot have graphics facing outward so I need to apply this treatment to Classics that have label prints on the otherwise blank side.
Yeah, and I think scrubbing sponge alone should work about as well.

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3948 on: March 21, 2022, 10:14:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i was thinking more along the lines of nail polish remover with a cotton ball which isnt just straight acetone

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #3949 on: March 21, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »
If you like spitfires but hate wheel graphics, buy NFG's you can just scrape the minimal graphic off with your finger nail ;)

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3950 on: March 21, 2022, 11:58:39 AM »
If you like spitfires but hate wheel graphics, buy NFG's you can just scrape the minimal graphic off with your finger nail ;)

Or wait like two sessions
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #3951 on: March 21, 2022, 01:33:16 PM »
I dig wheel graphics. I rotate them to slow down the coning and don't hate it when in a graphics out phase. I got a set of the Burnside wheels that'll probably stay up as a wallhanger

CullTheKarens

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3952 on: March 21, 2022, 02:46:17 PM »
A nicely graphic'd wheel is the tits.

Just bought a set of wheels with sick graphics just to put on the shelf and look at.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3953 on: March 21, 2022, 03:54:56 PM »

Just bought a set of wheels with sick graphics just to put on the shelf and look at.

I feel like almost too many sets of wheels have ended up in that category over the years.

Bought the right size, shape, etc but with specific graphics, some ended up in places to look at and never actually set up.

Then bought more in the generic graphic options, so I don't need to skate these ones at all.

Funny how that happens.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3954 on: March 21, 2022, 05:05:00 PM »

I liked when Spitfire did 3 wheels of 1 color and 1 wheel of a different one, looks really rad when filming.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #3955 on: March 21, 2022, 05:51:23 PM »
I'm riding some Radial Fulls for the first time. Definitely the biggest wheel I've ever skated. Still getting used to the whole setup, so I can't really speak to the wheels in particular yet.

I'm realizing that even though I initially wasn't a huge fan of the 97a I was riding, it's hard to go back up to 99a with this Midwest crust. Brutal out here.

It will be hard to determine what is Conical Full vs. Radial Full and what is 97a vs. 99a. Especially with the Conical Fulls having started at 54 and are now 50-52, while the Radial Fulls are 56. However, no complaints yet except for my brand new Aces are very squirrelly, so all 4 of my wheels have wheelbit already on my first session.

Once I wear the trucks in, I'll tighten them up a bit and report back on the wheels.

Anyone have any strong opinions on wheel shape? Conical vs. radial vs. straight edge vs. classic?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #3956 on: March 21, 2022, 10:12:46 PM »
I'm riding some Radial Fulls for the first time. Definitely the biggest wheel I've ever skated. Still getting used to the whole setup, so I can't really speak to the wheels in particular yet.

I'm realizing that even though I initially wasn't a huge fan of the 97a I was riding, it's hard to go back up to 99a with this Midwest crust. Brutal out here.

It will be hard to determine what is Conical Full vs. Radial Full and what is 97a vs. 99a. Especially with the Conical Fulls having started at 54 and are now 50-52, while the Radial Fulls are 56. However, no complaints yet except for my brand new Aces are very squirrelly, so all 4 of my wheels have wheelbit already on my first session.

Once I wear the trucks in, I'll tighten them up a bit and report back on the wheels.

Anyone have any strong opinions on wheel shape? Conical vs. radial vs. straight edge vs. classic?

Radial is the perfect blend of all wheel shapes. And as a broke lad right now I appreciate that they get more square as they wear down to help with lock. 56mm or larger classics also kind of act like radials for me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #3957 on: March 21, 2022, 10:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Radial is the perfect blend of all wheel shapes. And as a broke lad right now I appreciate that they get more square as they wear down to help with lock. 56mm or larger classics also kind of act like radials for me.

I got some big radials and now I’m wondering how long till I can wear down 3 mm. Fuck these things make me tired just looking at them

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3958 on: March 22, 2022, 04:52:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I definitely enjoy the Classic wheels in larger sizes once they wear down a few mm, as you said 56 down to between 54 to 52 mm is about perfect I think, but I do like wider wheels in general with roundish edges.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3959 on: March 22, 2022, 05:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I definitely enjoy the Classic wheels in larger sizes once they wear down a few mm, as you said 56 down to between 54 to 52 mm is about perfect I think, but I do like wider wheels in general with roundish edges.

My sweetspot for wheel size is too small for this. I want my wheels to be 51 - 53 mm. So wearing them down from 56 mm will take longer than I can actually ride them at my preferred size. Just ditched a set of 52 mm Classics that were down to just under 50 mm in no time. Put on 52 mm Classic Fulls that I don't expect to last for much longer. So I will try 54 mm next to get a bit more out of one set. I used to be more comfy on broken in setups but since last year's setup deep dive I have started to appreciate fresh setups. Shit is getting expensive.