11 (3.1%)
Dying to Live
3 (0.8%)
Mosaic
16 (4.5%)
Menikmati
10 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 353

Author Topic: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3  (Read 7159 times)

Pooh Drunx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -61
Re: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2023, 08:43:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After hearing crob and jeron harp on about yeah right for the 200th time I just wanted to say yeah right isn’t even top 5 of the 2000s and baker 3 is probably the best video of the era just cause kids have seen it even today. Sorrys impact is less meaningful today cause flip has been a shell of a company for 15 years but it’s definitely #2 .

The thing with yeah right is outside of Koston and p rod the average kid doesn’t know who the fuck anyone on the team is anymore. I’d go as far to say that fully flared has outdone yeah rights legacy at this point with how many of the younger pros claim that as their first video.

At the end of day though the only brand whose image has kept up with the kids is baker and that makes baker 3 the most influential video at the end of the day in my opinion.
[close]

Baker 3 wouldn’t exist if Baker2G didn’t take off like a rocket and make stars of everyone and make the deck company a necessity and it basically elevated Emerica since Reynolds, Ellington, and Greco were their riders and everyone was seemingly wearing/spray painting Reynolds back then.   Baker 2G influenced skaters, skate crews, other brands came into existence because they were trying to cash in on that image.   Rolling Stone articles, I Want to Be A Baker, all of this was pre Baker 3.
[close]

Simple reason why Baker 3 > Baker2g...Baker 2g didn't have an Ellington part

all of this is wrong. Baker2G is the best baker video and Ellington had a ton of clips in the PD section.

50:40
https://youtu.be/L4SLLF1Jdlg?si=dU-Y67eiELGHopMf

Pooh Drunx

« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2023, 08:50:55 AM »
people thinking Baker starting at Baker2G is funny to me. It was the Warner Ave crew. They all rode for different teams and formed a super team of burners.

https://youtu.be/iz17spXdors?si=h0WifUvy6HhyqESC

https://youtu.be/EdrvEw6ZCCk?si=2phPhVkKFTx5hHPS

kingcheese

« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2023, 09:03:45 AM »
re: did Baker Launch with Baker 2G

From what I remember, Baker Bootleg came out (all leftovers from The End + on birdhouse boards, no baker boards yet, full boulala part) then shortly after maybe 6 months, the ads and boards first dropped, and then like within another few months they had baker 2G out.

This is incorrect. When baker2g dropped there were J Strickland style ads and the elephant logo board that later become the bootleg logo. Not sure if those decks were ever actually sold in shops. But baker was not a skateboard brand at that point

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2023, 09:10:04 AM »
I think Photo is the best video overall when it comes to aesthetics and editing. When it comes to just skating, I'll lean Yeah Right, that has Koston at his peak, an iconic Gino and MJ parts, McCrank at his prime, good footage from Carroll and Howard, P-Rod on the come up etc.

Photo has great skating, and was highlighting East Coast skating more, which at the time felt underrepresented, and is edited in an amazing package. I find Photo the most unique, Yeah Right, Sorry and Baker 3 are very heavy with SoCal spots and hitting big spots worldwide (Sorry is a bit more worldly in some parts due to the team). Yes, I know Yeah Right has clips from my city (Toronto), but it has a lot of spots you see in other videos with regularity for that era. I like the rawness of Dill mostly skating NYC, Kalis and a lot fo the Habitat guys killing love etc.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2023, 09:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote

From what I remember, Baker Bootleg came out (all leftovers from The End + on birdhouse boards, no baker boards yet, full boulala part) then shortly after maybe 6 months, the ads and boards first dropped, and then like within another few months they had baker 2G out.
[close]

This is incorrect. When baker2g dropped there were J Strickland style ads and the elephant logo board that later become the bootleg logo. Not sure if those decks were ever actually sold in shops. But baker was not a skateboard brand at that point
I believe the first Baker video and Baker2G wasn't that much of stuff from the End. The End was filmed in 35mm I believe, and was therefore incredibly expensive for a skatevideo. The Baker videos came out of them skating with Strickland because they wanted to just film regularly where each bail was costing Birdhouse a ton of money.

fastlane

• Rep: -5
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2023, 10:46:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After hearing crob and jeron harp on about yeah right for the 200th time I just wanted to say yeah right isn’t even top 5 of the 2000s and baker 3 is probably the best video of the era just cause kids have seen it even today. Sorrys impact is less meaningful today cause flip has been a shell of a company for 15 years but it’s definitely #2 .

The thing with yeah right is outside of Koston and p rod the average kid doesn’t know who the fuck anyone on the team is anymore. I’d go as far to say that fully flared has outdone yeah rights legacy at this point with how many of the younger pros claim that as their first video.

At the end of day though the only brand whose image has kept up with the kids is baker and that makes baker 3 the most influential video at the end of the day in my opinion.
[close]

Baker 3 wouldn’t exist if Baker2G didn’t take off like a rocket and make stars of everyone and make the deck company a necessity and it basically elevated Emerica since Reynolds, Ellington, and Greco were their riders and everyone was seemingly wearing/spray painting Reynolds back then.   Baker 2G influenced skaters, skate crews, other brands came into existence because they were trying to cash in on that image.   Rolling Stone articles, I Want to Be A Baker, all of this was pre Baker 3.
[close]

[close]

all of this is wrong. Baker2G is the best baker video and Ellington had a ton of clips in the PD section.

Don't believe a few clips = a part.

Baker 3 is without a doubt the Baker video you throw in the mix to go against Yeah Right and Sorry. It's Baker's most iconic and popular video. Weed saves lives.

veritas

« Reply #156 on: September 06, 2023, 12:33:19 PM »
pretty sure id take photo over mosaic? idk maybe not
they are both really good
mosaic feels a bit more cohesive i suppose

Photo and mosaic were both 30-33 minute videos, yeah right and sorry are an hour and Fully flared is a whopping 80+ minutes before the credits roll. Workshop and habitat made the classic video of just skateboarding you can watch from start to finish without skipping parts

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -119
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2023, 12:53:20 PM »

score

• Rep: 2
« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2023, 03:13:14 PM »
I like watching Kostons part on mute and syncing up the intended song (Prince - let's go crazy), which is infinitely more enjoyable.

All the vids mentioned are gold standard in my eyes. Especially Yeah Right / Sorry / Baker 3

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2023, 03:41:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Five pages deep and no mention of Real to Reel?

There was a lot of hype around This is Skateboarding and the DC Video around the times of their releases

Baker 3 felt like one of the first videos that was instantly accessible on the internet. Yeah of course that video probably had the largest influence on skateboarding culture of the decade

FF was all anyone talked about for nearly 2 years (lead-up and after its release). FF basically broke the internet back then

Sorry! is goat-level for all the reasons previously stated

Mosaic was my personal favorite from the minute it dropped through today. Pretty fucking perfect and timeless
[close]

Mosaic is the true perfect video. People saying Sorry but Alex Chalmers and Rune Glifberg parts were the weak points. Mosaic is a marsterpiece.
[close]

How dare you diminish Alex Chalmers' contribution to skate culture at large. That part birthed one of the greatest skate quotes of all time.

Also, Rune rules.
[close]

Part is garbage…whole skatepark clips accelerated clips made it worse.
[close]

Rune's part is one of the best vert part of all times!
[close]

Nah in my view its PLG digital and Darkstar part.

bro rune had one of the most watchable/ unskipable vert parts in history. deadass.

makes me so happy to seem hill still skating at CPH

Pooh Drunx

« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2023, 04:21:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Baker 3 is without a doubt the Baker video you throw in the mix to go against Yeah Right and Sorry. It's Baker's most iconic and popular video. Weed saves lives.

Baker 2G is vastly better than baker 3.

vktrvghn

• Rep: 32
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2023, 04:26:15 PM »
Sorry was the first skate video I ever saw, I doubt it had much influence on me though

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2023, 09:15:25 PM »

If I had to compare I'd make this list of the crunchy early 00s videos:

Mosaic
Ipath promo
Photosynthesis
Static II
Honorable mention - Real to Reel

Pops & Freddy in Mosaic> their parts in photo. Pops in particular *really* came into his own (and sadly peaked) during Mosaic. Renaud, debatably peak Janowski. Much more cohesive front to back , maybe a couple more skippable parts in Mosaic but the music , editing and even filming made up for those.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1941
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2023, 10:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If I had to compare I'd make this list of the crunchy early 00s videos:

Mosaic
Ipath promo
Photosynthesis
Static II
Honorable mention - Real to Reel

Pops & Freddy in Mosaic> their parts in photo. Pops in particular *really* came into his own (and sadly peaked) during Mosaic. Renaud, debatably peak Janowski. Much more cohesive front to back , maybe a couple more skippable parts in Mosaic but the music , editing and even filming made up for those.

If I ran a brick and mortar skate shop I'd have Mosaic playing on the TV on loop, aesthetically pleasing video.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fastlane

• Rep: -5
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2023, 10:16:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yep, in the same way Mouse is better than Yeah Right

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2023, 10:27:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yep, in the same way Mouse is better than Yeah Right

Bingo

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 112
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2023, 10:44:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha.... I just picked up a Thrasher from 2000 and flipped through it...there's an ad in there for Baker2G and the product, but yeah it's not Baker Skateboards...so technically Baker2G isn't a Baker Skateboards video, it's a Jay Strickland video..

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2023, 11:20:00 AM »
Like I said before. Ignore dumb takes that put photo as one of the best videos e ever. Low level of skating compared to other videos from the same era. Its the most slap thing despite wallies.
Miss you Rusty Berings

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1486
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2023, 11:36:01 AM »
It’s Mosaic for me. No skips. Just rips.

Yeah Right and Sorry I have to vert button past skits and much of the appeal of those videos when they were the bleeding edge is the impact of a lot of tricks have weakened.

The worst part is they don’t make me feel like I need to go skate after watching them. Mosaic makes me want to roll.

My honorable mention: Dan Wolfe Closure

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2023, 11:43:41 AM »

Yeah Right and Sorry I have to vert button past skits and much of the appeal of those videos when they were the bleeding edge is the impact of a lot of tricks have weakened.

The worst part is they don’t make me feel like I need to go skate after watching them. Mosaic makes me want to roll.

Mosaic is the most perfect video ever… high level skating, good music, no skits, not too long and nice fits from skaters.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Dr Hass

• Rep: 4
« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2023, 03:13:40 PM »
It’s Sorry and it isn’t as close as some of you are making out.

No con, no connivance, no contrivance.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1486
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2023, 03:35:06 PM »
It’s Sorry and it isn’t as close as some of you are making out.

No con, no connivance, no contrivance.
I argue putting Rotten in Sorry was contrived as fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2023, 06:37:46 PM »

I love Closure, but it's a greatest hits album by Dan Wolfe.

Fully agree on Mosaic, it was peak Habitat that Inhabitants could never reach.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2023, 06:42:49 PM »

Now that you mention it, there was maybe a 4 month period where I would watch Mosaic daily after school.

I don’t know that I’d place it atop the pantheon of that particular era, but I’d certainly qualify it as top personal influence.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

countjunkie

• Rep: -3
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2023, 07:59:51 PM »
HK’s part in sight unseen is an absolute classic and i’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned here. as far as early 2000’s videos go it’s gotta be menikmati and volcom’s let’s live. best chima part and RIP shane & lewis. jake duncomb and dustin dollin have honorable mentions too.
1) sight unseen
2) menikmati
3) let’s live
4) shortys guilty

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2023, 08:29:14 PM »
https://youtu.be/y4aAqJiHF9g?si=0Iuwj1zJpKcsPBH5

Someday MJ is gonna come back and poof. All true believers are going on up.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2023, 09:51:11 PM »

Big guns baby, big guns!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2023, 10:11:47 PM »

Tilt Mode - Modus - Man Down - Yeah Right is an insane flurry of skateboarding

Top 3 Street skaters will always be Koston / MJ / Reynolds.   Rank them however you please. 

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2023, 11:49:37 PM »
i respect that some of ya'll are trying to convince yourselves  that mosaic is better than sorry.

its good asf tho, dont get me wrong.....

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2023, 12:09:14 AM »
i respect that some of ya'll are trying to convince yourselves  that mosaic is better than sorry.

its good asf tho, dont get me wrong.....

No real slo-mo or double angles in an age when videos were lousy with that shit