Author Topic: Opinions on the Wii U?  (Read 1022 times)

Circa01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • Anything Crailtap
Opinions on the Wii U?
« on: April 14, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
Hey, so i'm a pretty big nintendo fan from my childhood, so i backed off from my xbox a tiny bit and purchased a Wii U. I have to say i'm having a lot of fun with it. I would probably use it instead of my xbox but that's where Skate 3 and Bioshock are so i have to play those. Anyone else pick up the Wii U? Opinions on it, is it rad or is it stupid?
I'm new here

Morty Seinfeld

Re: Opinions on the Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
I just got one a few days ago. So far all I've played for it is the new Super Mario Bros. From what I understand, none of the games initially released utilize the screen on the controller, so it's basically pointless. Hopefully they'll change that. The Mario game is really bland and from what I hear the other games aren't too fantastic either. The controller has a neat feature where it can do the functions of a TV remote. That's great and all but it's not anything to write home about. That being said, I basically feel like I've bought a $350 TV remote. I'm holding out for Pikmin 3 though. I hope my opinions on the system will change.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Watch this

I want a Wii U but there are not any good titles out. Maybe when Mario Kart and Super smash bros are released. The mulitplayer sounds so fun though.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1499
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
I'm still putting a lot of mileage into my wii with my 4 and 8 year old (along with my wife when she is in the mood for four player madness).  I can see getting this when the library of games has expanded.  The amount of laughs we have doesn't require the most powerful graphics chip or realistic looking graphics.  It's all about play and interaction without too much complicated stuff in the way.

Also, we do a lot of DS lite multiplayer since we all have our own DS lite.  Nintendo kills it in my book.  Mario Kart and Mario Party multiplayer mostly

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:04 AM »
i'm not impressed with the wii U right now. Honestly i've barely heard a peep from it since its release. There was the initial buzz during the first few weeks but after that I haven't heard anything but reports about bad sales and cancelled games. I can't name a single upcoming title that won't be on another system.

I'm not a fan of motion controls to begin with and the game pad feels extremely gimmicky. Kind of like a solution looking for a problem, its neat to have but so far it hasn't been put to any remarkable use.

Things may change when Nintendo gets a new Zelda or Mario out but right now things don't look great. Few third party developers want to take a risk on making wii U games so its largely up to Nintendo to step up. They need a new Zelda to keep this machine going.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 06:21:12 AM »
I think I've either outgrown video games or Nintendo has become too predictable.  They don't take risks with software anymore, just hardware.  When's the last time Nintendo pumped out a fresh first party title that wasn't sticking to the same old formula?  Pikmin seems like the last unique thing Nintendo has done.  I'll keep my eye on the system but I don't think I'll be buying any time soon.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »
I'm still putting a lot of mileage into my wii with my 4 and 8 year old (along with my wife when she is in the mood for four player madness).  I can see getting this when the library of games has expanded.  The amount of laughs we have doesn't require the most powerful graphics chip or realistic looking graphics.  It's all about play and interaction without too much complicated stuff in the way.

Also, we do a lot of DS lite multiplayer since we all have our own DS lite.  Nintendo kills it in my book.  Mario Kart and Mario Party multiplayer mostly

:)  This is why I love nintendo. My cousin has one and I played nintendo land, and I thought it was pretty damn fun. It's basically everyone against the the person on the game bad for 4 player games. Otherwise, I've always been a sucker for Zelda games, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and anything Kirby.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
I think I've either outgrown video games or Nintendo has become too predictable.  They don't take risks with software anymore, just hardware.  When's the last time Nintendo pumped out a fresh first party title that wasn't sticking to the same old formula?  Pikmin seems like the last unique thing Nintendo has done.  I'll keep my eye on the system but I don't think I'll be buying any time soon.

yeah exactly. a 2d mario as a launch title? c'mon nintendo thats not a killer system seller, not anymore. yeah 2d mario is fun but the basic formula has been pretty much the same since mario 3. i'd rather play 3 since it doesn't have motion controls.

Circa01

• Rep: -1
  • Anything Crailtap
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:02:54 PM »
Watch this

I want a Wii U but there are not any good titles out. Maybe when Mario Kart and Super smash bros are released. The mulitplayer sounds so fun though.

My friend showed me that, and i don't really think that's something to go with. A lot of the issues he has can be easily fixed or aren't really exactly how he's saying it. I do agree though that the launch titles were weak, but there was a couple good ones. There definitely will be some amazing games coming soon though. I think the same thing with the Wii U will happen just like it did with the 3DS, not a very good launch, many people pass it by, but now there's a ton of awesome games and content coming out for the 3DS and it's really started to pick up. As for the controller, LEGO City: Undercover definitely used the gamepad well. It's a prime example of integrating it with gameplay, i really enjoy that.

Also don't forget, new Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart being announced at E3 (confirmed) soooo..yeah
I'm new here

ShihtzuEnthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
I've definitely felt this way too. They still make excellent games imo, but I feel like their games are losing their flavor (whatever that means). Super Mario Galaxy comes to mind, great game but nowhere near as good as its predecessors.

That being said I'm still buying a Wii U when the new Super Smash Bros. game comes out.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1499
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to mention Smash Bros on the wii.  If my wife and I ever need any time with just us two, all I have to do is put this game on and the kids just keep going until I tell them it's time to put down the controller.

Will Easley

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
I bought one for my lil cousins last chirstmas & they were super stoked. The tablet controller is kinda cool but with Nintendo needing a few more AAA game titles & the ps4 coming this holiday season, i dont think ill ever get one for myself personally. Like what someone said earlier they need some more new, original games. Yeah they have all the classic franchises that consistently pump out quality games every couple years but seeing as how they seemingly lack some of the 3rd party game support sony & microsoft have, they need some new IP's to bring a few more different experiences. They're definitely gonna need em especially once all the hype of the ps4 & next xbox (both coming this year) reaches a peak.

Nintendo did fuck up with the name/marketing tho. Alot of the casual market wasnt/isnt isnt even sure if its just an add-on to the wii or what. they definitely need to step it up in the marketing ESPECIALLY this holiday season when the other consoles come out cuz that just might make or break the WiiU