Author Topic: Lizard King of Deathwish  (Read 28877 times)

Narcissus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Lizard King of Deathwish
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2020, 09:42:28 PM »
Expand Quote
The man always did have a well-flicked kickflip
[close]

Saw him do like a neck-high kickflip on flat once. Respect.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2020, 02:00:37 AM »
He was pretty much a perfect match with Deathwish. Kinda almost rad, but way too tacky and half baked an image to ever make much sense. Ellington and Grecs are two of my faves, but Deathwish is gross.

perfect summary! fully agree

Micheal Plum is rad to watch skate in person though.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »
hopefully we get a pigwood resurgence and a slaughterhouse 2

Mongoloid

« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2020, 10:07:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Saw him do like a neckface high kickflip on flat once. Respect.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Saw him do like a neck-high kickflip on flat once. Respect.

Serious question, are you a little person? Maybe short?
That’s like 5 feet even to someone of average height.

I saw the boss do a flat ground kf and it was nowhere neck high and that fools got the best kf personally
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2020, 01:09:17 PM »
lizard hate is tacky, dude rips, showed up as a father and is one of the kindest professional skateboarders i’ve ever met.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2020, 01:58:36 PM »
lizard hate is tacky, dude rips, showed up as a father and is one of the kindest professional skateboarders i’ve ever met.

I don’t hate liz but fuck if he isn’t just kid rock with a skateboard like I’ve never been able to get past that comparison to be stoked on his skating.

It’s my fault

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2020, 02:12:26 PM »
I’ve met lizard king a handful of times and he was always friendly and fun to skate with.  He also did the gnarliest scarewalk down Wallenberg!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2020, 02:27:15 PM »
showed up as a father

Yea, dude was wild and bizarre back in the day. But this right here is what I'm judging him on now. Dude seems to legitimately enjoy life and being a dad. Hope he has something lined up that will help him take care of his kid.

Hombreezy

« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2020, 02:39:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t hate liz but fuck if he isn’t just kid rock with a skateboard like I’ve never been able to get past that comparison to be stoked on his skating.

It’s my fault
Damn now I’ll never be able to unsee that

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2020, 02:41:02 PM »

I watched this a few weeks ago. He actually seems like a pretty decent dude. Would not have guessed he comes from a privileged background (Dad is a real estate boss). I enjoyed the story about how he one-upped the local snowboard pro by casually doing some gnarly ‘jump’? I don’t know snowboard terminology

More and more, I'm seeing that the successful skaters are the ones who grew up in a financially stable home. The 90's pros were a different breed, but a lot of the (popular) 00's and new-age crop are definitely coming from money. Skateboarding is not cheap (which you know) and you need fresh gear for consistency and PMA. Plus, someone has to pay the bills while you huck down stairs for product.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:28:55 PM by duniwayRobber »
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that's a reminder not to get a huge tattoo on your neck of a brand
[close]

It’s funny people bitch about Jamie Thomas “stealing” Mystery from Detroit Rock City, but no one says shit about Death Wish and its logo being lifted from the Charles Bronson movie. 

[close]

Pretty sure most people know, no? Am I a being a boomer?
[close]

I think so, but it’s true more people bitch about zero and mystery being ripoff logos, definitely more than deathwish.

I guess deathwish has just acknowledged it upfront. Pretty sure I’ve seen clips from the movie in edits? No?
[close]

it's lame that they copied this from a movie, it's just a pagan ruin with a 2nd cross. it has no defining aesthetic other than "muh pop culture".

deathwish can suck my ass.
[close]

Do the majority of skateboard companies these days have some big, thematic defining aesthetic that I'm missing here? Because to me it mostly seems to be a random name and whatever graphics and they get by on the strength of their team
I think calling it “Deathwish” is acknowledgement enough.
Also, watch the movie. It’s rad.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2020, 09:29:48 PM »

This

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2020, 12:59:49 AM »
lizard king is highly quotable.  i quote him on the reg no cap

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2020, 01:15:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This
I don’t think anyone is really denying any of that, how we made it to a 5 page thread about him 2020 though is a mystery

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2020, 01:21:29 AM »
just moving to necktat merican hammers with eggrolls

Pfffffffft lol

it's not him personally, it's his fits and general bad taste

his flick i can agree is great, the purple and Monster green is not.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 01:28:16 AM by figureitout »

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2020, 01:40:24 AM »
I really like lizard kings pro part for think but I think it got scrubbed from the internetwebs. I’d like to see it again

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2020, 02:40:11 AM »
Expand Quote

I watched this a few weeks ago. He actually seems like a pretty decent dude. Would not have guessed he comes from a privileged background (Dad is a real estate boss). I enjoyed the story about how he one-upped the local snowboard pro by casually doing some gnarly ‘jump’? I don’t know snowboard terminology

[close]

More and more, I'm seeing that the successful skaters are the ones who grew up in a financially stable home. The 90's pros were a different breed, but a lot of the (popular) 00's and new-age crop are definitely coming from money. Skateboarding is not cheap (which you know) and you need fresh gear for consistency and PMA. Plus, someone has to pay the bills while you huck down stairs for product.

Nah, it’s pretty cheap. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2020, 03:48:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This
[close]
I don’t think anyone is really denying any of that, how we made it to a 5 page thread about him 2020 though is a mystery

The only bad thing I can see of him being a father is that his daughter inherited his nose.  Always makes me think of Billy Joel’s daughter who said she got Billy Joel’s looks and Christie Brinkley’s musical talent

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
  • Free Max B
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2020, 05:04:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s my fault
Damn I’m backing this heavy. Also I forgot he scarewalked wallenburg that’s fucked up.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2020, 06:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah, it’s pretty cheap.

That's true, especially with all the free parks popping up and the streets have always been free.  The only expensive things are travel, if you want, and if you buy stupid expensive clothes.  Adult sports like golf, fishing, cycling, cars, etc. can get crazy expensive.  Even if you skate enough to go through a deck every two weeks, it's not that much. 

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2020, 06:51:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah, it’s pretty cheap.
[close]

That's true, especially with all the free parks popping up and the streets have always been free.  The only expensive things are travel, if you want, and if you buy stupid expensive clothes.  Adult sports like golf, fishing, cycling, cars, etc. can get crazy expensive.  Even if you skate enough to go through a deck every two weeks, it's not that much.
Brazil, skateboarding like football is a way out for poor kids. The fire burning to improve your circumstance will always trump fresh completes from mom and dad.

IpathCats

« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2020, 06:54:24 AM »
 ragdoll + 6" in height + better kickflip = lizard king

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2020, 07:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah, it’s pretty cheap.
[close]

interesting comparison category. it is not cheaper than soccer or basketball though

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2020, 07:50:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah, it’s pretty cheap.
[close]

Expensive/cheap is a relative notion so there isn't a lot I can say besides my parents could just barely feed their kids, so a $30 set of wheels was expensive, no matter if I made them last a year. When you're rocking flat spotted wheels on a soggy board you are at a severe disadvantage - you can barely get speed or pop. Your parents don't have to be rich but they do need to have some sort of disposable income i.e. financially stable.

Someone else mentioned the 'burning fire trumping all' which it certainly does but that fire has to be coupled with opportunity to expose it. Pretty rare for a lot of kids in the Midwest or Brazil to maintain exposure. One could argue that social media has changed that, but I might counter that it's just oversaturated (stupid word) the market and made it even harder to get a legit deal.

Ahhh how I don't miss scrounging shops for used boards and having $2 for lunch.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »
Lizard King is sick in my opinion. Dude is creative, goes big and looks like he's having a blast. Sure some of his tricks are not everyones cup of tea but I find him quite amusing. His quotes are just an added bonus, and I find them hella funny. Fuck his newest Deathwish part has been on repeat for me since it came out, which is not something I can say for many videos coming ot recently. Hopefully he can get on something legit and not try to start another new company.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s my fault

Holy shit.

conqueso

« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2020, 09:59:10 AM »
dunno how you guys are seeing that kid rocks nose is like 3x smaller

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2253
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
Expand Quote
showed up as a father
[close]

Yea, dude was wild and bizarre back in the day. But this right here is what I'm judging him on now. Dude seems to legitimately enjoy life and being a dad. Hope he has something lined up that will help him take care of his kid.

Yeah give this man an award, he had a kid and is fulfilling his obligation of being a father.

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »
After Lizard told the story of how Geoff Rowley fixed his nose, I was forever a fan.