Author Topic: Compression clothing and skateboarding  (Read 3863 times)

essal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Compression clothing and skateboarding
« on: February 04, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
Just kinda curious, does anyone skate with any compression clothing or use it for faster recoveries? What about kinesiology tape?

I'm not really talking about socks, cause they often have some type of compression, but I'm thinking more along the lines of full tights or shin etc.
Would you use it if it actually made a difference? (performance or recovery)

alonzohambugerjones

• Rep: 3
  • http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5sK5IyEANvg/TkMuXcaLsGI/
Re: Compression clothing and skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »
have you tried these yet

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
I haven't tried anything performance enhancing stuff, and I'm not into it.. I was just writing a paper for school about how skateboarding doesn't have any (at least that I could find) performance enhancing apparel stuff even though skateboarding is pretty god damn hard on your body compared to a lot of sports and other types of activities.
I mean, if the stuff works, it could mean that you would be able to skate for longer periods of time without getting all sore and shit, or it could speed up your after-skate recovery. Most research are inconclusive if the stuff really works or not, but the popularity outside of it (except for skateboarding) is pretty damn clear.

yapple dapple

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:48 PM »
Tiger balm red stains your white shirt.
Don't huf shoe goo.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Anyone remember the backpacks advertised in transworld forever ago? The ones with the Gyroscope built in that were supposed to make you never fall. Cant find any info online.

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »
Knee pads elbow pads ankle pads full cut helmets stretchy denim high tops space age foam footbeds

We just need mouth guards now

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »
a good portion of your favorite street leaguers wear hex pad shit for contest and jumping down shit to protect they baby hips.
http://www.mcdavidusa.com/

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »
I haven't tried anything performance enhancing stuff, and I'm not into it.. I was just writing a paper for school about how skateboarding doesn't have any (at least that I could find) performance enhancing apparel stuff even though skateboarding is pretty god damn hard on your body compared to a lot of sports and other types of activities.
I mean, if the stuff works, it could mean that you would be able to skate for longer periods of time without getting all sore and shit, or it could speed up your after-skate recovery. Most research are inconclusive if the stuff really works or not, but the popularity outside of it (except for skateboarding) is pretty damn clear.

I'd consider those skate socks (Stance?) performance enhancing. I loved mine until they got way too tiny after like 3 washes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
I think old people are a better demographic.....you ever put on one of those shirts....it's pretty much the mansiere....

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 01:57:48 PM »
I'd consider those skate socks (Stance?) performance enhancing. I loved mine until they got way too tiny after like 3 washes.
I forgot to mention the socks.. Nike SB also does some socks with two or 3 compression zones. I would assume that Stance does the same type of thing, and probably a few other brands. I love compression socks and I would assume that most others to. So why do we stop there?

chillout, I wasn't aware of that. Got any source to it? Just curious if there is any statements done by skaters. I don't doubt that anyone would wear a hip protection after a couple of too many hits.

pootysnacks

• Rep: -8
  • HI
    • SATANSWEINER avatar image
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 07:53:37 PM »
i gots a pair of dem nike hyper elite bball socks they feel great when skating

louie_bk

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 09:40:18 AM »
I usually go to the clearance bin at Footlocker and Champs and places like that and there are always tons of compression socks like Elites for really cheap and, I'm not saying they're life changing, but they definitely feel better than regular socks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
It's crossed my mind to buy some of this stuff for sub zero skating.....so it won't feel like my Achilles will snap....

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I forgot to mention the socks.. Nike SB also does some socks with two or 3 compression zones. I would assume that Stance does the same type of thing, and probably a few other brands. I love compression socks and I would assume that most others to. So why do we stop there?

chillout, I wasn't aware of that. Got any source to it? Just curious if there is any statements done by skaters. I don't doubt that anyone would wear a hip protection after a couple of too many hits.

its not online or anything. theres a certain street leaguer that lives down the block from me and said that the nyjahs, p rods, etc all wear that shit. he does too. don't know if it was just a fad, or if its still something those guys do

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »
I have worn a knee sleeve in the past, might pick it back up cause my knee feels unsteady more often than not right now. That's as much "professional" sports gear that I've ever worn.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1484
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
We all need to embrace this.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1616
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 11:57:44 AM »
When its really cold I wear long johns under my pants.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
We all need to embrace this.

if someone made a jockstrap variant that protected against sacking, I bet there'd be a niche market for it
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

shit_for_brains

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
Does anybody now any alternatives to those painkillers socks footprint makes? They always seem to be out of stock/never exist in the first place. I've had the same shinner for about a year now and I can't take another hit. Kook me if you want but I'm old and my options are protect my shin or not skate.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »
Does anybody now any alternatives to those painkillers socks footprint makes? They always seem to be out of stock/never exist in the first place. I've had the same shinner for about a year now and I can't take another hit. Kook me if you want but I'm old and my options are protect my shin or not skate.

Shine guards, I ripped mine down to the bone once and had to get stitches and the doc said I couldn't skate for 6 weeks, I waited like 3 days and then skated with a shine guard for 2 months and was fine, as long as you wear pants and they aren't skin tight you can't tell your even wearing them, they aren't hard to get used to either, it's not ideal but it's better than not skating.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi