Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187958 times)

work_lurker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 97
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2790 on: November 02, 2022, 12:15:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People who hate on && and talk about inclusivity in skating are hypocrites. It's basically like saying "all are welcome, and by all I mean the minorities and sub-groups that align with my tastes and interests".

I listened to like 10min of him talking about his new board and it was horrible. I don't like his style and can't watch his skating. It's fairly corny, but he seems genuine about it and just as much space should exist for him to do his thing as any other skater.
[close]

lmao what the hell is this

People that hate on Andy (yourself included) are doing so based on his character and his actions/behavior. That's like, pretty much the only reasonable basis to dislike someone. Comparing that to how minorities are treated is sus as hell.
[close]

Wait wut?
[close]

Hating on an individual for the way they behave does not conflict with thinking that skateboarding should be inclusive to minorities/sub-groups.
[close]

Let me clarify:

I don't like hearing about his shape. His style of skating doesn't appeal to me. I think he gets more scrutiny for doing tricks that don't look good/traditional than people from other areas of skating do. Any time he puts out anything at all he gets dragged through the mud here.

Andy is clearly a white dude and not from the LGBTQ+ community, so he is from a highly represented demographic. It's not a 1:1 comparison. In terms of skateboarding, he does tricks from a weird realm that isn't considered common and mixes it with stuff that sorta is. He surrounds himself with people that are not "cool". I wasn't clear on that as it was a morning shit post.

Simply put I just wish people would make it less of a point contributing to toxic dialogue about the things they dislike, whatever that may be. Endless circle jerks hating on && (or whatever) are just karma-farming opportunities none of the actual dialogue does anything positive. I am definitely guilty of this myself and often think back to how when I was a kid getting into skating there wasn't space to like things that were not considered cool or normal, which extended to styles and disciplines of skating. It was this immature, exclusive dialogue that has gotten far better over time, but still pops up and I wish it didn't.

I'm sorry, you may be in the wrong place here if toxic dialogue and disliking are not your cup of tea. I can understand disliking circle jerks though. Always hard to get hard with the homies.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -71
« Reply #2791 on: November 02, 2022, 12:42:44 PM »
Did Andy Anderson do something bad besides not having cool style/attitude?
Was he a dick to somebody or do something sketchy?
I'm no AA fanboy, I'd agree he's kind of a nerd and I'd never buy one of his decks, but I don't hate him or anything...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 01:04:14 PM by KC_Rookie »

IpathCats

« Reply #2792 on: November 02, 2022, 12:49:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People who hate on && and talk about inclusivity in skating are hypocrites. It's basically like saying "all are welcome, and by all I mean the minorities and sub-groups that align with my tastes and interests".

I listened to like 10min of him talking about his new board and it was horrible. I don't like his style and can't watch his skating. It's fairly corny, but he seems genuine about it and just as much space should exist for him to do his thing as any other skater.
[close]

People that hate on Andy (yourself included) are doing so based on his character and his actions/behavior. That's like, pretty much the only reasonable basis to dislike someone. Comparing that to how minorities are treated is sus as hell.
[close]

Wait wut?
[close]

Hating on an individual for the way they behave does not conflict with thinking that skateboarding should be inclusive to minorities/sub-groups.
[close]

Let me clarify:

I don't like hearing about his shape. His style of skating doesn't appeal to me. I think he gets more scrutiny for doing tricks that don't look good/traditional than people from other areas of skating do. Any time he puts out anything at all he gets dragged through the mud here.

Andy is clearly a white dude and not from the LGBTQ+ community, so he is from a highly represented demographic. It's not a 1:1 comparison. In terms of skateboarding, he does tricks from a weird realm that isn't considered common and mixes it with stuff that sorta is. He surrounds himself with people that are not "cool". I wasn't clear on that as it was a morning shit post.

Simply put I just wish people would make it less of a point contributing to toxic dialogue about the things they dislike, whatever that may be. Endless circle jerks hating on && (or whatever) are just karma-farming opportunities none of the actual dialogue does anything positive. I am definitely guilty of this myself and often think back to how when I was a kid getting into skating there wasn't space to like things that were not considered cool or normal, which extended to styles and disciplines of skating. It was this immature, exclusive dialogue that has gotten far better over time, but still pops up and I wish it didn't.
[close]

I'm sorry, you may be in the wrong place here if toxic dialogue and disliking are not your cup of tea. I can understand disliking circle jerks though. Always hard to get hard with the homies.

Not for me, all my bros cute AF

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #2793 on: November 02, 2022, 01:09:10 PM »
 This is legitimately one of my favourite edits of the last decade and I return to it way too often:

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #2794 on: November 02, 2022, 01:20:53 PM »
This is legitimately one of my favourite edits of the last decade and I return to it way too often:

Damn, that was delightful!

What happened to TFS? wasn't like ownership dispute or something when the brand started to take off?

work_lurker

• Rep: 97
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #2795 on: November 02, 2022, 01:43:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wait wut?
[close]

[close]

Let me clarify:

[close]

[close]

I'd give you a fist bump for that, but I see your hands are busy..  ;)
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2796 on: November 04, 2022, 08:10:13 AM »

Being inclusive of marginalised groups doesn't mean you have to be inclusive of historically lame shit. Skateboarding is cool, gender minorities skating is cool, male skaters being better educated on how to welcome and engage with said people is cool. && is decidedly not cool when held up against what has always been considered 'respected' in skate culture. Nothing wrong with a bit of gatekeeping and keeping the whack stuff at arm's length IMO. Stinking circus tricks and trick list notebooks aren't protected classes last time I checked.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2797 on: November 04, 2022, 09:21:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Being inclusive of marginalised groups doesn't mean you have to be inclusive of historically lame shit. Skateboarding is cool, gender minorities skating is cool, male skaters being better educated on how to welcome and engage with said people is cool. && is decidedly not cool when held up against what has always been considered 'respected' in skate culture. Nothing wrong with a bit of gatekeeping and keeping the whack stuff at arm's length IMO. Stinking circus tricks and trick list notebooks aren't protected classes last time I checked.

Uhh, this logic is so fucking full of holes. So it's OK for the marginalized groups that are brought in to add to "what's cool" and become the gatekeepers they were one repressed by? If anything the LGBTQ+ scene definitely has a lot of sponsored or pro skaters doing pretty "not cool" tricks that would definitely be circus tricks.

Welpok

• Rep: 13
« Reply #2798 on: November 04, 2022, 11:31:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wait wut?
[close]

[close]

Let me clarify:

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd give you a fist bump for that, but I see your hands are busy..  ;)
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
« Reply #2799 on: November 04, 2022, 11:35:03 PM »
Having multiple hardware sponsors is kinda chat. Hardware companies not making bolts, bearings and griptape is also kinda chat.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 126
« Reply #2800 on: November 05, 2022, 04:14:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, && is a white cis man, not someone from a marginalized minority. It's not like there's some discrimination against Canadians

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2801 on: November 05, 2022, 05:20:25 AM »
Hating Andy Anderson doesn’t make you racist.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #2802 on: November 05, 2022, 09:39:15 AM »
I am vehemently anti-Canadian.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #2803 on: November 05, 2022, 09:41:47 AM »
The polar vid had some of the worst outfits. There’s a limit on baggy for fucks sake some of those fits were downright silly

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #2804 on: November 05, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »
The polar vid had some of the worst outfits. There’s a limit on baggy for fucks sake some of those fits were downright silly

Euros go crazy with that shit and everything Emile wears is super baggy because he's like 5'2" and 100 lbs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #2805 on: November 05, 2022, 09:56:17 AM »
Andy Anderson is one of the biggest pros in the world. We dont need to include him in anything
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2806 on: November 06, 2022, 05:38:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Uhh, this logic is so fucking full of holes. So it's OK for the marginalized groups that are brought in to add to "what's cool" and become the gatekeepers they were one repressed by? If anything the LGBTQ+ scene definitely has a lot of sponsored or pro skaters doing pretty "not cool" tricks that would definitely be circus tricks.

Gatekeepers aren't repressing LGBTQ+ skaters, bigots are
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2807 on: November 06, 2022, 07:05:01 AM »
The sls final thingo that was just on was sick. As good as any comp type thing could possibly be. Better than any reg sport.

Spoiler: funa got fukn robbed!

quackquack

• Rep: -422
« Reply #2808 on: November 06, 2022, 08:11:43 AM »
Front nose heelflips are gross and are no better than regular noseslide heelflips.

Is gross.
Oh, the places you'll go.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #2809 on: November 06, 2022, 09:25:35 AM »
The sls final thingo that was just on was sick. As good as any comp type thing could possibly be. Better than any reg sport.

this was weird. seemed rigged imo. both funa and momiji skated visibly better than ryassa and still lost. she was already celebrating the win before everyone tried their tricks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2810 on: November 06, 2022, 09:49:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this was weird. seemed rigged imo. both funa and momiji skated visibly better than ryassa and still lost. she was already celebrating the win before everyone tried their tricks.
I know it's not one trick vs one trick but ryassa back Smith worth more than funa noseblunt. Yeah funa clipped her wheel on the way in and landed a bit wobbly (altho she is constantly praised for her super loose trucks so what do they expect) but I still think noseblunts worth way more. Ryassas other trick was back lip and funa did an absolutely perfect front crooked so once again should be way ahead.
Funa must of been thinking "fuck it's the Olympics all over again"

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2811 on: November 06, 2022, 04:55:11 PM »
Speaking of sls Gustavo’s nosegrind nollie flip and crooked grind nollie flip are the same trick.

I perfectly okay with him winning based on overall performance. I just also think that was some bullshit

Didn’t watch women’s yet

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2812 on: November 06, 2022, 05:42:03 PM »
I thought Braden won when he landed the kickflip bs noseblunt. At least he got 2nd. Would've been stoked if old man Decenzo won. Gustavo is crazy good and consistent but his trick selection sucks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2813 on: November 06, 2022, 05:49:07 PM »
I think Gustavo got a touch underscored at times. It's like he's the superstar they don't want. Also kinda funny last shot ruined by some security guard.
Guess him winning tho shows it's not rigged......altho ryassa just happens to skate worse and win women's and Portugese speaker wins men's SHENANIGANS!!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2814 on: November 06, 2022, 06:45:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s the Brazilian way…..

bigbevev

• Rep: -14
« Reply #2815 on: November 06, 2022, 06:46:30 PM »
There’s nothing wrong with cargo pants, assuming they are appropriately sized.

Pockets are dope

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -71
« Reply #2816 on: November 06, 2022, 06:54:48 PM »
Funa definitely got robbed. Bad.
At some point judges gotta stop treating Gustavo's 360 flip to whatever tricks like NBDs.

Also...

Frontside noseslides are the most deceptively hard, slept on trick in skateboarding.
Sure, we can all fumble together a passable FS noseslide, but a really good one is something few people can do.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #2817 on: November 06, 2022, 10:57:17 PM »
Funa Nakayama got robbed

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2818 on: November 08, 2022, 07:19:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just watched it and No she wasn’t celebrating her win. She just gets hype when she lands tricks that are clutch. She’s always been like that

I also don’t think she was robbed. It was super close. Funa’s noseblunt wasn’t perfect.

So I guess my unpopular opinion is that women’s SLS was called fairly

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2819 on: November 08, 2022, 07:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just watched it and No she wasn’t celebrating her win. She just gets hype when she lands tricks that are clutch. She’s always been like that

I also don’t think she was robbed. It was super close. Funa’s noseblunt wasn’t perfect.

So I guess my unpopular opinion is that women’s SLS was called fairly
It's not one trick vs one trick. But Im on your side with don't think ryassa was celebrating early