Author Topic: Skate video Faux pa's (spelled right?)  (Read 9251 times)

isaac

Re: Skate video Faux pa's (spelled right?)
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »
no names in montage parts
warm up tricks on rails, etc.
using slo-mo to emphasize how "rad" a trick is. kenny anderson in the Listen flick is a perfect example.
blown out spots.

cold budweisers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »
i think it's radder to see the trick in normal speed, cuz then ur like DAMN he didnt do that did he?

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 02:12:54 PM »
I agree, there should be a rule of slo-mo, then played again in real time if slow-mo is used.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 02:13:29 PM »
The blown out spots thing baffles me.  For example I have friends who have been to Barcelona and they tell me the place if full of sick spots but when you see footage everyone wants to go to the same shit.  Same goes for the US.  Pros come to town and locals take them to a well known  spot by the locals but they just wanna go to spots other pros have skated and that's it.

I guess it's all about 1-uping.

*And the fact that PJ Ladds part in WHL had no slowmo made it way better.  And he ended it with a push but it looked sick.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 02:21:38 PM by SFblah »

jf

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »
front shove back nosegrinds,, switch five-o fakies on banks

damian

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
gee i wonder who captain bitter is implying??? ::)

for me, a lot of slow motion if it isn't j. strickland. i don't really like when everyone in the video is basically skating the same spots, just with different tricks at them. when the edit makes it appears the skateboarding looks like a job, when it's for kicks and fucking fun. #1 - trying to make skateboarding a sort of social or political statement.
that's all i can think of for now.

i like when they cut off the next trick after a line, i always wonder what was next, a tease.

Lurkenstock

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 02:33:48 PM »
How could nobody state one of the if not theeeee biggest video faux pas?
USING A FUCKING SONG THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN USED.

This neeeeeever ceases to amaze me.
Like the caveman says:
MAYBE DO A LITTLE RESEARCH NEXT TIME.

Too many examples to list, and I don't expect the people who make videos to know every single song that's ever been used in every single video ever made, but HOLY SHIT ask around and know your history for chrissakes! Some of them are just straight up blasphemous and ridiculous. Most recent I can think of off the top of my head is Furby in the newest Digital video. You're telling me Bill Weiss or someone else involved with the making of this video has never seen GOLDFISH? Give me a fucking break.

Do you have any idea how many songs there are in the universe of music?
Millions? Billions? I don't know but there are a fucking TON of songs you can use in a video that haven't been used before.

You have no idea how much this fucking irritates me.
It should fucking irritate you too, but it probably does already so there you go.

Class Of 1992

• Rep: 18
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »
^^^^^Yeah,I hear you there....I'm just waiting for someone to come along and dig into the archives and use Souls Of Mischief-"That's When Ya Lost".....I will laugh.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »
I also hate poorly edited songs in vid parts. (Jeremy Wray - Elementality, Jon Allie - New Blood)

YES! this pretty much ruined wade's kayo part in my opinion. sick footage, going well with the song, see the switch flip feebs, the place in the song seems like the end is no where in sight, hopefully his ender isnt something thats been hyped up for a while. then the song just fades out and it ends. so anti climactic. I think this problem is in other parts of the kayo too.

zeekay

• Rep: 0
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 04:07:48 PM »

Like the caveman says:

Too many examples to list, and I don't expect the people who make videos to know every single song that's ever been used in every single video ever made, but HOLY SHIT ask around and know your history for chrissakes! Some of them are just straight up blasphemous and ridiculous. Most recent I can think of off the top of my head is Furby in the newest Digital video. You're telling me Bill Weiss or someone else involved with the making of this video has never seen GOLDFISH? Give me a fucking break.

Millions? Billions? I don't know but there are a fucking TON of songs you can use in a video that haven't been used before.

It should fucking irritate you too, but it probably does already so there you go.

This is public enemy #1.

It's even worse if you watch snowboard video's too. You realize that (whatever the "hot" band of the upcoming year is going to be) has 1 song in about 3 different movies. Wolf Mother last year.

Parts/montages with no names. What if I want to support/back these guys but can't tell who's who.

iriemon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »
not about the video in particular,  but I hate to see people do a trick to manual down long banks.........if you don't go up a curb and then back down,  just don't bother manualing........unless your just fucking around or whatever......please don't film that.....
yah mon, I hear you there, I remember some video where some fool kickflip manualled down this bank and so the bank levels out at the bottom and he just gradually put his tail down after a while, it was dispicable, I can't believe one of his homeboys didn't set him straight on that like 'fool dat shit was wack' nah they were probably crowded around bumbaclat 'peepin footy' and givin duppy a verbal blowjob, ahh that reminds me of a kid I seen one time scream out 'I'm comin up' after a laugh out loud line of kickflip 50, 50 kickflip, noseslide shuv it (easy way)....fuckin bumbaclat.....
"The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason. " Hunter S. Thompson

Strawberry Jam

• Rep: -5
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »
Shit all over the lens.
Slo-mo ender's.

Old Knees

• Rep: -20
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2007, 05:24:28 PM »
when the filmer follws a skater on board (a la when filming a line) except it's only the one trick (super long mannies/grinds/slides being the only exception....sometimes).

i also dislike when the skater pushes after the last trick in a line.

splicing together two angles of a line mid run.

vert.

instrumentals that even a myspace rapper wouldn't use

wood park footy

cement park footy that isn't a gnarly bowl/tranny type concoction

dreadlocks on white people

long hair on white dudes in ghetto-wear

nollie flip down ten

cardigans (the band and the item of clothing)

maybe i'm a little too picky
BOPSET

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2007, 05:55:47 PM »
My biggest one is when someone films a line then after the last trick they start pushing again and its obvious that they tried another trick and didn't make it, sometimes you'll even see them start to set up for the next trick... always bums me out.  Lets hear yours...

Like PJ Ladd after the last trick in the final line in WHL???  Not always that bad...

Like the caveman says:

Ragdoll using The Stooges' Search and Destroy being the best/worst example.    I don't give a shit that he used the whole tune, as opposed to an edited version compared to AVE, but the fact still remains is that Photosynthesis was an iconic video from day one and to re-use that tune was the stupidest idea ever.

Homies' over celebrations...  No problems with a "yeah, nice one" or a crew going mental over a switch flip backside noseblunt up El Toro but when you see a team's goal celebration after a slappy noseslide, then you can fuck right off. 

Slow mo replays in videos out recently.  Just learn how to do a ramped slow mo, it's really easy.

Shitty ordering of tricks - a switch flip into a 30 ft bank followed by a frontside air over a skatepark hip as an ender.

Brent Atchley hands.

Filmers screaming "Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!"   from behind the camera.   Unforgiveable since '98.

Timecode display.

Probably Europe only - local scene video choc full of local spots, then all the usual Parallel/MACBA/Universitat tricks which could easily have been done at home.   

Anybody skating tramline Barcelona spots in general, particularly top tier pros with easy, massive tour budgets.   No need for imagination then chaps? 

I'm sure I'll think of more later...

marty.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hate to see people do a trick to manual down long banks.........if you don't go up a curb and then back down,  just don't bother manualing........unless your just fucking around or whatever......please don't film that
[close]

I don't understand what you mean here, but I am curious
[close]
yeah me neither. and like home skillet said, i cant fuckin stand when filmers put their hands over the lens after a banger, especially if its in slo mo. and also when after the dude lands his tricks the filmer quickly moves the camera down and zooms in on the ground. looks decent sometimes depending how you do it but not every other trick

I think Orgone is talking about when people do manual tricks on regular banks, not one like the Roslyn banks (where there is a drop-off at the end and a curb up top), and so when they get to the bottom of the bank they just put their wheels down, you know what i mean? It's kinda a dumb thing, but it's always bothered me as well.

And I always thought the thing with the hand in front of the camera was to mark the footage of the make, to make it easier to find when they are editing the footage later. But I know what you mean, it's one of those things that started out with a practical, legitimate use, and then turned into something that people think is cool to do. I've seen videos that kids have made on youtube and after half the tricks the filmer is waving his hand in front of the camera.

I just realized it was Forks/Knives, and not Orgone that said it, and that it was already clarified a few posts up, but whatever.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:09:01 PM by WeTigers »
8)

jared...

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »
-slow motion when overdone.  ramped slow mo's always.
-re-used songs.
-leo's mongo switch push at the end of his line in some transworld montage.
-being overly dramatic and coming off corny.
-spoken dialog intros in transworld videos, after sight unseen.
-arcade fire, interpol.  overused in videos, at least a few years ago.

女の子は女の子とセックスすると、「lezzing out」です。 例えば、トニコクスホクスと友&

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
intros where they have lame monologues

glamorizing the skater with lifestyle shots instead of showing more skating

Penis_Monster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 08:07:31 PM »
filming a line on vert with the filmer actually skating the ramp with the skater (havent seen this done in a vid for a while, but it's defnitely annoying and nausiating)

voice overs (especially when the skater has nothing to say that hasnt been said before)
"I FEAR NO MAN"

somekid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »
i dont liek when they throw somebodies face in the middle of parts like its supposed to be artsy or somethin. like they will do a sick trick and then theres video of them tying their shoes or somethin.
the lifestyle shot in general has gotta go.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »
i want to make a video and use every possible cliche

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2007, 08:40:26 PM »
Fat filmers or photographers speaking in ebonics.

Goyo

• Rep: 8
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »
nothing's worse than those mid trick slow mo's and then goes back to normal speed.  please die transworld

Old Knees

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2007, 08:52:28 PM »

granted, i don't watch many videos these days, but i can only think of 2 parts that used interpol (ba in yeah right and fuckin whats'isname in that's life), and none with arcade fire. enlighten me
BOPSET

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2007, 08:54:44 PM »
JUSTIN STRUBING.  and have you never seen the four star video?

jerrodword

• Rep: -31
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2007, 09:15:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

granted, i don't watch many videos these days, but i can only think of 2 parts that used interpol (ba in yeah right and fuckin whats'isname in that's life), and none with arcade fire. enlighten me

torey pudwill in shortys. mike mo used arcade fire as a bonus song in forecast and arcade fire was used quite a bit in the fourstar japan video. but i like the arcade fire and interpol so i dont have a problem with it as long as it fits with the skater.

Thizzzzz

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2007, 09:52:13 PM »
Expand Quote
My biggest one is when someone films a line then after the last trick they start pushing again and its obvious that they tried another trick and didn't make it, sometimes you'll even see them start to set up for the next trick... always bums me out.  Lets hear yours...
[close]

this has ALWAYS bugged me

the worst is in the mystery video, they cut a clip in the middle of a trick.

I think thats sick cuz it just looks like there skating normally landing tricks and trying the next one, and it just so happens the filmers there.  I don't care either way lines are sick.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2007, 10:32:47 PM »
I'm probably being a bitch but I don't like it when filmers don't take the time to adjust the white balance... Just seems lazy to me.

Old Knees

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2007, 10:53:39 PM »
and have you never seen the four star video?

maybe. don't remember
BOPSET

GoldDigger

• Rep: -1
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2007, 10:53:53 PM »
when the skating is too serious... lighten up man, life is short!

over using slow mo and double takes

Strawberry Jam

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2007, 02:23:51 AM »
Mike Mo didn't use arcade fire in forecast?

In the 4star video they have all 4 Neighborhoods.