Author Topic: External Mic Question  (Read 297 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
    • a short part avatar image
External Mic Question
« on: July 23, 2023, 12:49:03 AM »
Does any of you use a external mic for a camera or camcorder? What are the things I should be looking for with a external mic?

I only have a cheap camcorder, but it's fine for me and the quality of the footage is good. It's just that the sound is a bit weird sometimes when it's really windy.

Thanks in advance pals.
IG: @flowterspace

suckmadeck

• Rep: 29
Re: External Mic Question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 10:15:23 AM »
Does any of you use a external mic for a camera or camcorder? What are the things I should be looking for with a external mic?

I only have a cheap camcorder, but it's fine for me and the quality of the footage is good. It's just that the sound is a bit weird sometimes when it's really windy.

Thanks in advance pals.

So I know a lot of people recommend Rode mics, which are very good and decently priced, but they always recommend the mono mics. I highly recommend getting something stereo. Rode have really decent stereo mics for the money. If you're looking for something XLR based rather than 3.5mm based (headphone sized plug) I actually run a Sony ECM-MS2 which was built for the Sony FS5/FS7 so it won't fit in my HPX's shock mount but I just push it into a Rode shock mount and I get really HQ stereo audio, and I got it for a decent price. Actually kinda sound close-ish to a VX1000 imo)

This Rode mic is on offer right now for actually a solid price and would look into it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-VideoMic-Camera-Microphone-Shockmount/dp/B01LS9J994

This sennheiser mic is very popular I believe and also sounds decent. Little bit more money but still fair: https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/microphone-camera-camcorder-mke-440

The Sony mic I use isn't made anymore I believe but you can find them on eBay for a variety of prices. I think I got mine for like £200/£240? Pretty good imo and for a HQ XLR mic I'm very happy with the results (although it's very sensitive to wind and I really need a better deadcat for it)

suckmadeck

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 10:17:31 AM »

Thanks in advance pals.

Also, no matter what mic you get, make sure you have a good way of mounting it to the camera. Either on the built in mic mount, or a third party shock mount, make sure that thing isn't gonna wobble around and ruin your audio. Also, make sure to buy a good quality deadcat. Without you're audio is gonna be ruined by even the most gentle of breezes, and filming lines will basically guarantee bad audio. Rycote are a great small brand to buy deadcats from btw.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 01:19:54 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance pals.
[close]

Also, no matter what mic you get, make sure you have a good way of mounting it to the camera. Either on the built in mic mount, or a third party shock mount, make sure that thing isn't gonna wobble around and ruin your audio. Also, make sure to buy a good quality deadcat. Without you're audio is gonna be ruined by even the most gentle of breezes, and filming lines will basically guarantee bad audio. Rycote are a great small brand to buy deadcats from btw.

Thanks a lot mate. That really helps. Would you say a wireless mic would be better instead of one with a cable?
I would use the cold shoe mount on top of my handle to stabilize the mic. Well at least theoretically.

suckmadeck

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 06:18:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance pals.
[close]

[close]

Thanks a lot mate. That really helps. Would you say a wireless mic would be better instead of one with a cable?
I would use the cold shoe mount on top of my handle to stabilize the mic. Well at least theoretically.

You'd have to run a wireless transmitter and receiver which you could do, but then have to worry about interference from mobile phone networks, radio transmissions and a whole bunch of other stuff, oh and more batteries to forget to charge. I'd stick to a cable. Much safer bet

Beltran

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 01:26:37 AM »
If you're on a tight budget, I recommend the Rode Video Micro. The cheap one. It works great. Having a stereo mic is nice, but you're only going to notice it if you're listening on a good sound system and especially with headphones.

However, it's not so much the microphone as how your camera handles the sound. If the camera's converters and preamps are bad, the sound will be horrible. And above all, if your camera has a sound limiter, it doesn't matter which microphone you use, the skate will sound like a fart.

For example, some DC and Sk8mafia filmers use cameras with limiters and the sound is simply horrible. https://youtu.be/0P1fm6pDAkc?t=339 If it already sounds bad in RAW, imagine with music.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 05:12:49 AM »
Thanks for the heads up and the tips.