Author Topic: I think a coworker has MRSA  (Read 1849 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
Re: I think a coworker has MRSA
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2024, 06:59:34 AM »
Glad you got it handled.

Expand Quote
Chris D'elia came in one night
[close]

I’d more likely punch that dude than be hyped.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-03-02/chris-delia-sued-by-woman-who-says-he-had-sex-with-her-when-she-was-17

@sharkjumper - oh yeah, I know all about him and find him to be disgusting. I was just mentioning that because we're in a hot spot in town. I wasn't there that night, but I did meet him in 2012 before he was famous and way before all that sex cult stuff came out. dude is a Hollywood weirdo. I don't fuck with anyone in Hollywood tbh.

a coworker of mine described him as someone who was prowling and was very creepy. apparently, he came in, looked at a menu, and left right away.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2024, 07:00:07 AM »
i got MRSA once from the hospital. vile shit

@spectral image - damn, son! what was your experience like?

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 123
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2024, 07:10:15 AM »
This is definitely not a situation where you should worry about being a narc. This is for everyone’s safety.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2024, 08:12:11 AM »
Is Mrs A married to Mr F on Arrested Development?

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2024, 10:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

mrsa infected surgical stitching is one of the most excruciating physical experiences i've ever had and i cant verbalize it much. but they had to dig a gulch in my chest that was packed 2x a day with gauze. any time it reappeared meant they cut the infected flesh out so i had my surgical site hacked open 3x total. i leaked horrific smelling fluid constantly. it readjusted my concept of pain.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • sup dog
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2024, 05:06:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

mrsa infected surgical stitching is one of the most excruciating physical experiences i've ever had and i cant verbalize it much. but they had to dig a gulch in my chest that was packed 2x a day with gauze. any time it reappeared meant they cut the infected flesh out so i had my surgical site hacked open 3x total. i leaked horrific smelling fluid constantly. it readjusted my concept of pain.
GULCH?

Damn, homie.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2024, 08:04:17 AM »
yeah, had to be big enough to fit a 8 inch ribbon of 1inch gauze. cant powerslide out of a drunk tweaker in a silverado or a dirty country hospital.

to stay on topic: as a delaware valley native i find drug addicts to be a supreme pain in the ass to work with, so i say tell him to slide so he can focus on his passions outside of work. the bad attitude/whining will never stop and soon they won't be able to stay awake anyway

ive worked with dudes who had habits but held things down, coming to work everyday with an infected appendage does not sound like he's holding things down.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2024, 12:28:33 PM »
Respect for doing your best to do good by him, but you aren’t helping him, you are enabling him.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2024, 01:25:59 PM »
yeah, had to be big enough to fit a 8 inch ribbon of 1inch gauze. cant powerslide out of a drunk tweaker in a silverado or a dirty country hospital.

to stay on topic: as a delaware valley native i find drug addicts to be a supreme pain in the ass to work with, so i say tell him to slide so he can focus on his passions outside of work. the bad attitude/whining will never stop and soon they won't be able to stay awake anyway

ive worked with dudes who had habits but held things down, coming to work everyday with an infected appendage does not sound like he's holding things down.

this is one of the things that bugs me the most (aside from the obvious health risk and disgusting eye sore,) and a few other people I work with have the same attitude. they just don't want to fuckin be there.

the dude has absolutely no appreciation for the position he's in and the already abundant amount of second chances he's had. he no call no showed, then the next day called off of work 30 minutes after his shift was supposed to start. I have had, "professional" jobs as a writer and in advertising, and the money I made in that field doesn't compare to what I make now.

my mom brought up an interesting point about all this. I said to her something along the lines of, "I can't believe he would put everyone at risk like that." she responded with, "he's a selfish drug addict. he only cares about himself." bingo.

I don't mean to dunk on the dude too much more, but I looked up his arrest record... 12 arrests in 10 years. sad thing is, he looks like a completely different looking person in his mugshots and was a pretty good looking guy. its some straight up "faces of meth," situation.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2024, 01:27:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@spectral image - wow. that must have been an absolutely surreal experience. you talking about the smell paints a horrifying mental image. how long ago was that? did you make a full recovery and how long did it take?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2024, 01:29:24 PM »
Respect for doing your best to do good by him, but you aren’t helping him, you are enabling him.

luckily, he never took me up on my offer for any sort of help, and I'll never release any of my shifts to him again, because I do understand it is enabling. I am past the point of my life of doing thing for other people who have no appreciation for it. I can use that time and energy to help others who will be grateful, because I do really like helping out my fellow man.

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2024, 01:45:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

@spectral image - wow. that must have been an absolutely surreal experience. you talking about the smell paints a horrifying mental image. how long ago was that? did you make a full recovery and how long did it take?

last october altho i was clearing my final flare up about now-ish last year. i started skating around again after 6 months but have only been able to get kinda back to where i was at in the last month or so and im still pretty intensely riding a bike/doing yoga etc

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2024, 02:07:00 PM »
Just a warning to pals

Don't eat in most of dt Salem.

I know all their kitchen staff pretty much. The owners straight up could care less if you get sick.

Koto is safe
And all the Hispanic joints are safe in every town out here.

Wendy's is safe and so is pizza hut and Salem House of Pizza is safe.

if you come out to visit the North Shore of Massachusetts I say definitely don't eat in Salem.
Go to Marblehead go to Lynn go up rt 114 by the Mall.

Basically if you see all staff are are all 20 something white kids go elsewhere.
. [/b]
They do not give a fuck about nothing but their next smoke break and what is on the one earbud they go on.

Cussing in the dining area would be a clear sign of go elsewhere.

Or pissed off bus people.

You ever experienced hat? Bus boy foaming like there's a photo of you on the back of the door so he cannot avert mean mug even when the door closes.

Must've been rocking the wrong colour Cortez' or something.

Mr tattoo tears looking like he's down with Tom's Piru of Maine.

Snuhhh
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2024, 03:12:25 PM »
I got MRSA from a dirty uncleaned helmet I rented from a skatepark when I was about 12.
The sore looked so gross & disgusting, it lasted for about a month.

I remember thinking it looked like a rotten raspberry was trying to force itself out of my body between my eyes, real Cronenberg-level body horror stuff.

Still have a pretty gnarly scar between my eyebrows from it.
I was pretty self conscious about it when I was younger but I kinda like it now, just wish I had a cooler story about how I got it.

The park was Wooden Waves in Reading, PA which went out of business probably like 2007 or so, if anybody remembers or used to skate there.
I believe Kerry Getz helped design it, saw him at a few demos there, and a young Kyle Nicholson used to kill it there too, won some contests they held.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 643
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2024, 04:36:13 PM »
I think how you handled it was the best you could given the circumstances. Good on you dude.

And I'm really glad you didn't rat on him for his drug use and/or try to get him fired outright. Yes, it sounds like he's not grateful of the opportunities he's been given, but taking his job away from him will without a doubt put him in a worse place than he already is in. You got to remember that a dead addict can't recover.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • sup dog
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2024, 11:45:07 AM »
This cannot be real :o

Your coworker needs help ASAP! Good luck talking to him to see if he’ll be honest. If not, see if you can talk to management again to see if they’ll intervene in some way.

If they don’t… (wow)…. Then make anonymous call to a help center of some kind. Social workers. Something.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2024, 01:51:59 PM »
Don't know if you mentioned your position, but you have an ethical, if not legal, obligation to report health violations if you work in food service. Handling food or plates with open wounds clearly fall into this category. I guess if you don't want to seem like a bitch about it, you can tell the guy to either take care of it or you will call OSHA yourself.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2024, 04:11:21 PM »
Don't know if you mentioned your position, but you have an ethical, if not legal, obligation to report health violations if you work in food service. Handling food or plates with open wounds clearly fall into this category. I guess if you don't want to seem like a bitch about it, you can tell the guy to either take care of it or you will call OSHA yourself.

I've since deleted my last update that I posted today, but management has spoken to him and he's covering up the wounds with cloth bandages on top of the band aids, as well as a long sleeve shirt. he is treating it in 100% accordance to health/ safety guidelines. after I called corporate he was spoken to literally 3 hours later... but I now feel an ethical obligation to try and get him to go to the hospital because the dude looks like he's on the verge of death, and I am not saying that lightly.

I will keep it short, but... he had a few days off in a row last week and came back looking worse than I've ever seen him. he is thinner than ever and has a terrible grey complexion. on top of him being nothing but skin and bones, I've (and many other people) noticed his hand on the opposite arm that has the infection is completely red, swollen, and he is all but unable to use it. his hand is so swollen it looks like he broke it.

the infection is progressively getting worse and whenever he has a day off, the next time he's seen he looks 10 times worse. this is really neither here nor there because we all know what's going on, but there's a certain affect on speech that methamphetamine has on people where your jaw is so tense that you can't really speak properly. it sounds like you're talking through a closed and clenched jaw... I noticed that when I worked with him a few days ago.

I guess one of my managers (who I have a great working relationship with) has started to voice her concerns about him too. I've already decided that I'm going to pull him aside next time I see him and try and convince him to be seen at a hospital. I'd imagine that they will admit him if he does agree to go. his condition genuinely cannot get much worse. I fear for his life and well being.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 04:31:31 PM by fineslime »

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 64
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2024, 06:42:03 PM »
Imagine being on meth but also being unable to compulsively jack off or disassemble radios because you’re hand is fucked up…a living hell!

Get that man to the hospital, stat!

P.s. you’re a good egg, OP.  Fuckin Tweakers, though.  Jesus.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2024, 04:13:35 AM »
MRSA's fucking gnarly.

A training partner of mine (BJJ) ended up with a staph infection after visiting another gym whilst travelling (Renzo Gracie's in NYC, known for a lot of visitors and dirty-ass mats).

Instead of going straight to the doctor for antibiotics, he went with his hippie girlfriend's homemade "natural remedies". Shit went from bad to worse and it ended up turning into a full-blown case of gnarly MRSA. Staph doesn't care about natural remedies, you need antibiotics.

His chest and right shoulder were purple and full of leaky open sores and golden scabs, he looked like a leper. His immune system was all fucked up and he ended up with a cold that lasted all summer on top of the infection. Apparently the whole thing fucking stank, too.

He finally ended up going to the hospital after my coach called him to talk some sense into him. He had to get it drained a few times and get on antibiotics ASAP. The thing is, MRSA is resistant to a lot of antibiotics, so he had to try two or three different kinds before getting the right one. The antibiotics were so strong they fucked his stomach up and he could barely eat.

He was out for months and he's got a bunch of scars on his chest from the sores.

It took a long-ass time before I trusted he was 100% clean before I started training with him again. No one wanted to roll with him when he came back.

If you get a staph infection, don't be an idiot and get it checked out ASAP. That shit leads to MRSA and can end up infecting your blood, your organs and even killing you.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2024, 07:10:55 AM »
Imagine being on meth but also being unable to compulsively jack off or disassemble radios because you’re hand is fucked up…a living hell!

Get that man to the hospital, stat!

P.s. you’re a good egg, OP.  Fuckin Tweakers, though.  Jesus.

needing meth to compulsively jack off is a young man's game. once you get some age and wisdom you realize that's something you can just do without ruining your body and brain chemistry. on the other (infected) hand, taking apart radios because you think its sending direct messages to you is an ageless and timeless activity.

thanks for the compliment. there was def-o a time in my life where I was a self centered lying piece of shit, so I can see it in other people, and I'd like to do what I can to wake people up to themselves... but hey, we all know how that can go.

its like a namaste but with self serving behavior.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2024, 07:13:52 AM »
MRSA's fucking gnarly.

A training partner of mine (BJJ) ended up with a staph infection after visiting another gym whilst travelling (Renzo Gracie's in NYC, known for a lot of visitors and dirty-ass mats).

Instead of going straight to the doctor for antibiotics, he went with his hippie girlfriend's homemade "natural remedies". Shit went from bad to worse and it ended up turning into a full-blown case of gnarly MRSA. Staph doesn't care about natural remedies, you need antibiotics.

His chest and right shoulder were purple and full of leaky open sores and golden scabs, he looked like a leper. His immune system was all fucked up and he ended up with a cold that lasted all summer on top of the infection. Apparently the whole thing fucking stank, too.

He finally ended up going to the hospital after my coach called him to talk some sense into him. He had to get it drained a few times and get on antibiotics ASAP. The thing is, MRSA is resistant to a lot of antibiotics, so he had to try two or three different kinds before getting the right one. The antibiotics were so strong they fucked his stomach up and he could barely eat.

He was out for months and he's got a bunch of scars on his chest from the sores.

It took a long-ass time before I trusted he was 100% clean before I started training with him again. No one wanted to roll with him when he came back.

If you get a staph infection, don't be an idiot and get it checked out ASAP. That shit leads to MRSA and can end up infecting your blood, your organs and even killing you.

dude... the amount of stories I've heard of people getting staph and crazy skin infections off bjj mats is never ending. what is it about those dudes where they don't stay clean? I know its not every where, but you're quite literally rolling around in puddles of sweat.

"...'thweat."

reminds me of a certain song about a certain infection by a certain band both you and I love...

this is the first song of the day for me. gonna be a fucking great one, pals!

there are some gnarly ass stories in this thread!

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2024, 07:51:14 AM »
slap would you please help my coworker

hes down and hes not gettin up

hes gaunt and hes bloated can u help him

i think its mr-sa

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2024, 08:03:25 AM »
slap would you please help my coworker

hes down and hes not gettin up

hes gaunt and hes bloated can u help him

i think its mr-sa

win.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2024, 08:04:14 AM »
Expand Quote
MRSA's fucking gnarly.

[close]

dude... the amount of stories I've heard of people getting staph and crazy skin infections off bjj mats is never ending. what is it about those dudes where they don't stay clean? I know its not every where, but you're quite literally rolling around in puddles of sweat.

"...'thweat."

reminds me of a certain song about a certain infection by a certain band both you and I love...

SMILE ON MIGHTY JESUS !

But yeah, luckily the gym I train at hasn't had a single case in all the time I've been there (almost 6 years). Mats are constantly washed, hell the gym smells like cleaning products most of the time.

The thing is, you HAVE to wash immediately after, especially if you've got a tiny cut, ingrown hair or something like that. We take that shit seriously since our local scene is small: One outbreak and you'll be known as the dirty gym forever.

If you don't want to shower at the gym, don't stop at McDonald's, don't go to the grocery store, head straight the fuck home, clean yourself and handle your bizz after.

To quote K-Flex: "Ya gots to wash yo ass"

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2024, 11:07:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
MRSA's fucking gnarly.

[close]

"...'thweat."

[close]

SMILE ON MIGHTY JESUS !

But yeah, luckily the gym I train at hasn't had a single case in all the time I've been there (almost 6 years). Mats are constantly washed, hell the gym smells like cleaning products most of the time.

The thing is, you HAVE to wash immediately after, especially if you've got a tiny cut, ingrown hair or something like that. We take that shit seriously since our local scene is small: One outbreak and you'll be known as the dirty gym forever.

If you don't want to shower at the gym, don't stop at McDonald's, don't go to the grocery store, head straight the fuck home, clean yourself and handle your bizz after.

To quote K-Flex: "Ya gots to wash yo ass"

I've been hearing Rogan talk about Defense soap for 10 years haha. Now that I think about it, I haven't contracted it, and anyone else who hasn't contracted staph from slamming while skating is actually pretty lucky... does this mean sk8rs are cleaner than bjj guys??? And we hug our bros just as much!

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2024, 03:44:28 PM »
I've been meaning to provide an update on this situation, but have taken a bit of an unintentional break from the interwebz lately.

They fired the guy a few weeks ago!!!

Even though Florida is a state in which you don't need to give someone a reason they're being fired, also known as a Right-to-Work state, they got him on a technicality. I don't know the details exactly, but from what I understand, he was written up for excessive tardiness, and then one day he came in like 15 minutes late again and they let him go. I came in that day right after he was sent home. I also heard that there were multiple calls to corporate about him. It wasn't just me, but there were REAL customers who called. He was progressively looking worse, and worse, and worse in those last couple weeks he was there.

There was a noticeable collective sigh-of-relief that was felt after he was fired. I honestly can't believe he lasted there as long as he did. I have thought about reaching out to see how he's doing, but I realized that would be somewhat disingenuous of me as I let my voice be heard about how he is not safe to have employed.

I've seen some shit in my day, but I have never worked with anyone like him.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2024, 04:50:03 PM »
mrsa is fucking nasty and gnarly. i lived in a spot for a minute where 2 kids were squatting and had mrsa. no bueno. all's fair in love and anarchism but they were asked to leave. so much bleach was used to clean that nasty ass house. one of them, a kid i really liked, ended up drowning down in Mendo a few years ago. RIP bunny

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2024, 07:52:55 AM »
I have thought about reaching out to see how he's doing, but I realized that would be somewhat disingenuous of me as I let my voice be heard about how he is not safe to have employed.

Not at all. If you have it in you,  reach out and check in. It could be a little push of support he needs. As someone who has worked in social services a long time, you'd surprised how profound little gestures can be.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2024, 01:05:26 PM »
I've had MRSA. MRSA gets to surgery level within 2 weeks. I had MRSA and after 9 days the doctor told me that death was a possibility if we took more than a week to do surgery. It is extremely painful and I doubt if it is MRSA that he would not be able to work with it.

It could be staph or some other skin infection though. Some people get marks like you describe from drug use.
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action