Author Topic: Your first skateboard  (Read 72243 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: Your first skateboard
« Reply #450 on: August 09, 2022, 08:57:18 AM »
for the old school guys, 1990 or older: What was your first "Popsicle" shape skateboard?
Did you switch to popsicle right away, or did you wait a bit?
How long did it take after that Vallely Animal Farm board before there were a lot of options for them?
I was talking to my friend and he said we didnt even get it at the shop here in Canada lol he had to wait a bit longer before he got a popsicle shape but couldnt seem to remember what his first one was.

It seems like by 91 most of the old school shapes were kinda phasing out from what i can tell. Seems like during Rubbish Heap they were still on the Old School Board but by Video Days they were bit more Popsicle shaped and at least had proper noses. maybe not until like Plan B era the shapes got more symmetrical looking and rounded
The Barnyard is 89 and there is some version of it available until Vallely leaves World in 91. It was pretty unique (Double Vision notwithstanding) and I don't remember any direct rip offs of it (at some point there is the toe knee hawk deck but by this time I have no idea what Powell is doing) so it kinda owned it's own space for those couple years. Board shapes didn't change overnight and it was more of a glimpse of things to come than anything. 1990 - rails start to straighten out and noses get as big as tails which continues into 1991 and Video Days. 1992 is the eggy football year and by 93 pops took over. Almost none of these shape changes were available at the same time for very long because back then an innovation would completely kill off what had come before. Barnyard is the exception where it had a relatively long time in the sun, all to itself.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #451 on: August 09, 2022, 09:13:33 AM »
Santa Cruz yellow slasher with Indies and Slimeballs. Rails and a kick plate. Clear grip on top of a bunch of T&C stickers. It's gotta still be out there somewhere, hopefully not in a landfill.

ChipSuey

• Rep: 25
« Reply #452 on: August 09, 2022, 09:23:06 AM »
First skateboard was a Variflex complete ordered from the Eaton's catalog (I'm old and grew up in Canada), first real board was a Tony Hawk mini (with BONEITE!), Tracker Ultralights and I'm guessing some OJ wheels, or maybe Ratbones? I don't know, unfortunately it's long gone now, my family isn't super into holding onto things and my folks got rid of a lot of my stuff when I moved out. 

I've got super fond memories of skating a Jeremy Klein "Dreamgirl" deck though.  Loved that thing.

Clone1984

• Rep: 6
« Reply #453 on: September 16, 2022, 10:47:49 PM »
I can't find an image of my 80s board but my first popsicle was a 1994 Sonic Kit Erickson Fem Circuit board
Two years later I got my first Alien Workshop Spectrum deck. I was riding Ventures at that point with Speed Demons and Alien wheels

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #454 on: September 16, 2022, 11:16:15 PM »
My first complete was a Powell slick, graphic was a big dragon, red and orange colours I recall. Still can't find the graphic despite my best efforts. The rest of the parts were Orion trucks and World wheels. I think it was in 1996-1997. Can't remember if it was a Caballero pro model or just some team graphic. Pretty sure I left it outside (though it was undercover) and the plys started to delaminate, so my dad helped me complain to the company and they reluctantly sent me some black skull and sword graphic slick that must have been no more than 7 inches wide. They were pissed and told me not to do it again basically, but it was pretty cool they still sent me a new deck. I was just a little kid so the tiny board actually helped me progress a lot more.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #455 on: September 17, 2022, 12:26:51 AM »
Im prettty sure it was this monstrosity

Tight Pants Big Wheels

• Rep: -8
« Reply #456 on: September 17, 2022, 05:55:06 AM »
I had a toy skateboard, probably from K-Mart, as a kid in the 80s with 80s style laser graphics, blue grip tape and pink plastic wheels. I just played around on it, 'bombed' drive ways, etc., but never could learn any tricks. Then I didn't skate for 30+ years until early this year when my son expressed interest, so we went to the local and started off right with proper builds. Therefore, my first real skateboard is an 8.6 Creature deck with Indy forged hollow 159s, Swiss bearings and F4 99a conical fulls that is right next to me because I'm about to go skate. Skateboarding has really sparked something in me even at 40, and I've skated just about every day this year with park sessions every weekend.

Mongo_Pusher

• Rep: 1
« Reply #457 on: September 17, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »
First "skateboard" was a wooden Donald Duck scooter that I had my dad take the steering bar off of; I think I was like 10. First "official" skateboard was a used Zoo York board that I took out of the dumpster of the local shop in my town. My friends parents owned a hair saloon next door to it so we would hang out in the back alley all the time and check the dumpster for old boards, wheels, and trucks. That lasted me about a year and then I got my first brand-new board for Christmas which was a Birdhouse Hawk 3.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #458 on: September 17, 2022, 11:19:06 AM »
poopy toy store complete with plastic trucks on it that had some blue guy with sunglasses on with "doofus" graff throw up underneath him

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #459 on: September 17, 2022, 10:50:32 PM »
first board was a target board first real board was a zero 3 skull blood deck with some thunders and spits

Goggzy60

• Rep: 6
« Reply #460 on: September 18, 2022, 04:00:48 PM »
I had a weird European brand board first and a few after aswell first I had a choice in was a Bam or Muska a local shop had a 2 for 3 on boards and I liked Element back then I'll post the Bam Deck and I have never found an image of the muska's

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #461 on: September 18, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »
blind Rudy Johnson sparkplug slick
deadbolt trucks
blank wheels and bearings

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 177
« Reply #462 on: September 18, 2022, 05:14:58 PM »
My first legit board was a yellow think deck with the flame writing, ventures, reds and black bones. It was stolen a week later by the local park hero ( who had a bit of a reputation at the time) while I wasn't looking. I was about 12 and this dude was 14-15. Had a friend who was in high school with him at the time manage to steal it back for me and in turn had this hero after him for a couple months.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2022, 06:39:19 PM »
The double vision was peanut shaped. It's was more double tail than the Vallaileee. The V got more closer to double tail as time went on.

I'm almost 100 that the first one was the same mold as the other boards like the V elephant and the Lee Cat and the kline Candy bar.

When Rocco said he got the double mold it felt like he counted on the fact that no one wanted the Double vision.

That V was cigar shaped with a short nose/tail
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #464 on: September 19, 2022, 03:38:31 AM »

I got a Tom Knox Santa Cruz board with Zorlac wheels that had those cool Pushead Zombu graphics and red Tracker trucks (the ones with plastic baseplates).

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #465 on: September 19, 2022, 03:54:52 AM »
First board was some plastic 70's looking thing....Wish I had kept it!

Then a Town & Country complete....no idea where that came from.

Finally first real board was a Vision Jinx. With green gullwings if I remember right! Getting nostalgic just thinking about those trucks.  ;D

Frank and Fred

« Reply #466 on: September 19, 2022, 09:57:04 AM »
for the old school guys, 1990 or older: What was your first "Popsicle" shape skateboard?
How long did it take after that Vallely Animal Farm board before there were a lot of options for them?
I was talking to my friend and he said we didnt even get it at the shop here in Canada lol he had to wait a bit longer before he got a popsicle shape but couldnt seem to remember what his first one was.

It seems like by 91 most of the old school shapes were kinda phasing out from what i can tell. Seems like during Rubbish Heap they were still on the Old School Board but by Video Days they were bit more Popsicle shaped and at least had proper noses. maybe not until like Plan B era the shapes got more symmetrical looking and rounded

Things moved so quick. You didn't really have a choice. Shaped boards became footballs/ eggs and then slimmed down to popsicles. Once that happened there were no shaped boards unless they were old stock.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #467 on: September 19, 2022, 02:24:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The Barnyard is 89 and there is some version of it available until Vallely leaves World in 91. It was pretty unique (Double Vision notwithstanding) and I don't remember any direct rip offs of it (at some point there is the toe knee hawk deck but by this time I have no idea what Powell is doing) so it kinda owned it's own space for those couple years. Board shapes didn't change overnight and it was more of a glimpse of things to come than anything. 1990 - rails start to straighten out and noses get as big as tails which continues into 1991 and Video Days. 1992 is the eggy football year and by 93 pops took over. Almost none of these shape changes were available at the same time for very long because back then an innovation would completely kill off what had come before. Barnyard is the exception where it had a relatively long time in the sun, all to itself.
This was how I remember it. A friend got one but everyone thought it was kinda strange and I don’t remember anything like it for another couple years. I think there was a Powell symmetrical board but that might have been later as well. We didn’t really do nollie or switch stuff yet so a big nose seemed pointless.

I remember slick decks were a big deal for a while when we learned to skate without rails. But back then they were terrible.

I know people look back fondly on those 80s boards but last time I tried one I hated it. Totally impractical. Really short too. I wonder if that had anything to do with skateboarding still being a thing for kids.

My first board was a plastic banana. I think in 83. First real deck was a Natas, the one everyone knows.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #468 on: September 19, 2022, 03:09:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Things moved so quick. You didn't really have a choice. Shaped boards became footballs/ eggs and then slimmed down to popsicles. Once that happened there were no shaped boards unless they were old stock.

I don’t remember popsicles necessarily being a thing until well into 92 but I could be wrong. But as far as a contemporary board for 91 I got a Jason Lee Whopper board and that thing was the best. I think it had a bit of a square nose and flared tail but it felt so light and modern compared to my previous deck which was that Santa Cruz Tom Knox.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 03:23:47 AM by funeral_tuxedo »