Author Topic: Worst board graphics ever?  (Read 78253 times)

Davethedavedave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -101
Re: Worst board graphics ever?
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »
I love modern day powell

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2020, 07:13:43 PM »
Ps. Authentic_creed sucks

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Santa Cruz is the worst because of stuff like this:

Modern day Powell is atrocious as well.
[close]

Are you talking about Powell before they rebranded themselves as Powell-Peralta again in like 2009-2010? I would agree that fun era Powell was fucking terrible. Since the renaming they brought back VCJ and he is arguably the greatest skate artist ever in my opinion. So many fucking amazing graphics.

His old stuff is untouchable, but his new stuff? Nowhere close. The design and shading is laszy and uninspired.

The only halfway decent graphic he’s done lately was the Agah. This coming from a guy who has an original Kevin Harris hanging in his house.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2020, 12:58:34 AM »
i still love this

Funniest shit I've seen today - keeping the perceived typo on his last name is a nice touch.

Powell is gross.

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2020, 01:19:34 AM »
anything Flip
support your local ramp-tramp

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2020, 02:41:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

everybody seems to love this stuff. It’s boring and sterile to me
[close]
this is so funny, yeah these pendeleton boards not the best, but when you scratch it up it looks tite.
[close]

I'm triggered by this. Don P's tenure at workshopalongside Castrucci is fucking magical, best art department of that late 90s-early 2000s era by far IMO. Pendleton decks were utterly original at the time and have been endlessly imitated and bitten from ever since. I have 2 on the wall.

Sorry to be mad. Just didn't expect one of the GOATs to end up in this god-forsaken thread
[close]
Justified anger. Pendleton represents a glorious time in skateboarding, that was lost along the way.
[close]

I definitely don't think his graphics should be in discussion of "worst ever".However, while I like that era of Alien, seeing every pro series be some sort of creature or animal over and over again got a bit repetitive. I prefer seeing his art from time to time for different companies.
[close]

This era of AWS (Photosynthesis, Mosiac) had a defined artistic identity, the moved passed the Alien graphic and having every team member as a different animals helped that identity. The current run of graphics feel like generic team boards with the Alien icon being recycled. It's still better than when they had Dyrdek boards with Monster Energy logos all over them.

I know Dyrdek was trying to save the brand but they really shit the bed with these graphics and bastardized the brand identity.
[close]

Most if not all of those boards were pretty much promo for Monster distributers and such if I remember correctly?

Don Pendleton shouldn't have been brought up in this thread, ever.

It might not be your style but these are done really well. Even the microcosm series are a shitload of work and has characters all over. He has his own style and this is definitely what he's known for.

And of course his creatures will be repeated on decks, that what that Alien Workshop era and style was all about. And ieven if you didn't like it, at least they had a distinctive style and direction. Not like many many other 'companies' that just throw a logo on their board.

After he left Alien went down hill VERY fast. And it hurts to say that. They went with the whole Rob and Big crap, Monster energy decks, Meaty decks, lame collaborations (first Warhol was awesome, after that... sheesh) for the money, understand. But it killed them in the long run.. Alien was gone.

I had the chance to pitch some graphics to them when they restarted.

In my opinion they were great but they got rejected while the abominations like this got made. After that I couldn't take them seriously anymore. I still love AWS but 'those graphics' were a slap in the face.

Who the hell comes up with this?

I couldn't take it seriously.

That Pig board? come on man...

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2020, 09:23:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

everybody seems to love this stuff. It’s boring and sterile to me
[close]
this is so funny, yeah these pendeleton boards not the best, but when you scratch it up it looks tite.
[close]

I'm triggered by this. Don P's tenure at workshopalongside Castrucci is fucking magical, best art department of that late 90s-early 2000s era by far IMO. Pendleton decks were utterly original at the time and have been endlessly imitated and bitten from ever since. I have 2 on the wall.

Sorry to be mad. Just didn't expect one of the GOATs to end up in this god-forsaken thread
[close]
Justified anger. Pendleton represents a glorious time in skateboarding, that was lost along the way.
[close]

I definitely don't think his graphics should be in discussion of "worst ever".However, while I like that era of Alien, seeing every pro series be some sort of creature or animal over and over again got a bit repetitive. I prefer seeing his art from time to time for different companies.
[close]

This era of AWS (Photosynthesis, Mosiac) had a defined artistic identity, the moved passed the Alien graphic and having every team member as a different animals helped that identity. The current run of graphics feel like generic team boards with the Alien icon being recycled. It's still better than when they had Dyrdek boards with Monster Energy logos all over them.

I know Dyrdek was trying to save the brand but they really shit the bed with these graphics and bastardized the brand identity.
[close]

Most if not all of those boards were pretty much promo for Monster distributers and such if I remember correctly?
[close]

Don Pendleton shouldn't have been brought up in this thread, ever.

It might not be your style but these are done really well. Even the microcosm series are a shitload of work and has characters all over. He has his own style and this is definitely what he's known for.

And of course his creatures will be repeated on decks, that what that Alien Workshop era and style was all about. And ieven if you didn't like it, at least they had a distinctive style and direction. Not like many many other 'companies' that just throw a logo on their board.

After he left Alien went down hill VERY fast. And it hurts to say that. They went with the whole Rob and Big crap, Monster energy decks, Meaty decks, lame collaborations (first Warhol was awesome, after that... sheesh) for the money, understand. But it killed them in the long run.. Alien was gone.

I had the chance to pitch some graphics to them when they restarted.

In my opinion they were great but they got rejected while the abominations like this got made. After that I couldn't take them seriously anymore. I still love AWS but 'those graphics' were a slap in the face.

Who the hell comes up with this?

I couldn't take it seriously.

That Pig board? come on man...

post your graphics

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
There you go:

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2020, 09:43:39 AM »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »
Thank you man, appreciate it

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1951
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2020, 09:51:06 AM »
Expand Quote
There you go:

[close]
they made the wrong call

Agreed, the teal colour stands out from regular AWS graphics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »
Expand Quote
There you go:

[close]
they made the wrong call

Damn those are tight dude. Try to resubmit them to AWS 2.0 maybe they won't kook it this time.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2020, 10:09:29 AM »
Thanks a lot man.

haha maybe, maybe I will but I'm afraid they won't get back.

They can even have them for free ...

A HOMOSEXUAL PERSON

• Rep: -24
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2020, 10:25:28 AM »
Oh man that's a really good series

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2020, 11:38:28 AM »

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2020, 12:37:26 PM »
I used to try to doodle like pendleton in middle school and they never turned out good. He is a legend.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »
i still love this

I really wish I'd bought a few boxes of these to see me through the rest of my skating days.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you talking about Powell before they rebranded themselves as Powell-Peralta again in like 2009-2010? I would agree that fun era Powell was fucking terrible. Since the renaming they brought back VCJ and he is arguably the greatest skate artist ever in my opinion. So many fucking amazing graphics.
[close]

His old stuff is untouchable, but his new stuff? Nowhere close. The design and shading is laszy and uninspired.

The only halfway decent graphic he’s done lately was the Agah. This coming from a guy who has an original Kevin Harris hanging in his house.

80s Powell is the best even though at the time I liked Santa Cruz better cause I was into cartoons over what I saw as more serious art, like the Cab dragon.

I’m taking about this...

Graphics like this are horrible and certainly don’t belong on a popsicle deck.

Powell should just give up on new graphics and just run with the flight logo that is dull but non-offensive.

Jacob Gary

« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2020, 05:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

80s Powell is the best even though at the time I liked Santa Cruz better cause I was into cartoons over what I saw as more serious art, like the Cab dragon.

I’m taking about this...

Powell should just give up on new graphics and just run with the flight logo that is dull but non-offensive.

I think present day powell is horrible as well but that graffic is better than the flight one.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2020, 07:55:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m taking about this...

Id take that over Pendleton’s hipstery geometric doodles any day

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2020, 08:57:49 PM »
There you go:

I would be really irresponsible and buy all of these.  Nice work.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1087
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2020, 09:08:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m taking about this...

[close]

Id take that over Pendleton’s hipstery geometric doodles any day

You are nuts,

Powell graphics have always been awful to me. From the classic stuff to today. With a few exceptions.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2020, 05:50:42 AM »
Expand Quote
There you go:

[close]
I would be really irresponsible and buy all of these.  Nice work.

Thank you!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2020, 06:27:57 AM »

That’s fucking Jabjabjabjabjabjabjabberjaw! The most amazing shark you ever saw!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2020, 06:31:29 AM »
This was Powell’s nadir:

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2020, 07:01:54 AM »
what was that powell graphic called.. "Fucc Boi"?

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2020, 07:07:33 AM »
Don Pendleton's work for AWS was amazing. That is the last thing I expected to see in this thread. That art direction (along with Castrucci's over at Habitat) was a big part of my childhood.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1951
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2020, 08:10:07 AM »
This was Powell’s nadir:

And here I was thinking current era Powell graphics were shit.

Probably targeting parents who weren't going to pay for Dwindle graphics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2020, 09:00:28 AM »
This whole series was particularly bad (unfortunately, there's more), even for Primitive. They all look corny as shit.

TheO7herOne

• Rep: 2
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »
I actually kinda like that Jabberjaw haha only decent graphic Thank You put out so far