Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 542308 times)

satan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #630 on: December 30, 2019, 10:24:08 PM »
Thanks for all the info and advice Satan. (Thats a sentence I’ve always wanted to use!)

Yeah you’re right its the early 90’s shapes that i dig, i use to ride HStreet for a while back in the day and always liked the shapes and noses on those. Learnt most of my flip and spinning tricks on those decks. But i never got into nose grinds or slides, or switch for that matter, so i get the new shaped boards are accomodating for all those tricks, but i have no need for it and i find a big nose a little off putting. In fact I have mainly ridden popsicles backwards too and use the bigger nose as the tail.

Anyway enough of my bullshit skating backstory. Yeah I skated my first anti hero deck last night...and i have to admit i really liked it, the kick thing you mentioned makes sense, i did notice i didnt have to look at my backfoot for ollie placement, i could definitely feel it more than on any santa cruz deck ive had.

Also like you i dont want magic carpet on a 159, all those old decks tapered at the trucks so we rode 159’s...and there was a small amount of overhang, but that was helpful for flips.

I got my OJ Super Juice wheels yesterday so i set this up for the meantime...im gonna chill on buying a deck for a bit, but that Grosso or something from black label might end up being the go to...tbh the Grosso shape looks exactly like the 8.8 Lucero shape...he probably borrowed that on his way out!
Yeah, it's funny seeing that too.
I wish I could remember what size trucks I had back then. I wanna guess 8.5" Ultralites, I was a tiny grom.. Don't think I clued into the freestyle wheel thing so the jumbo wide wheels helped with the width. I think my friend was running them, I just didn't realize skinnier, lighter, better.. I vaguely remember a Lucero Red Cross, probably with 169's and huge Slimeballs or something. Think it was NHS at the time. All I remember is tank, I can barely ollie on this thing. Took a long time to get back to Indy's.
I had a Ron Allen No Scratch. Can't believe how pointy that nose looks now! Still have an old Kingsize survivor, with the lil World rails. It's the board I learned noseslides on after accidentally doing one on a wooden bench. For some reason I was using the longer wb, maybe I thought I was a big boy.

Looking thru old Thrashers online made me realize why I like that Grosso shape, it's almost the same nose as his 80's boards.
I don't remember for sure but Grosso might have had a similar shape when he was on BL.

I think PS Stix also does the spoon nose/tail thing but it's been a while since I saw one up close.

I like the Remillard shape. It's on my list too but by then I'd stopped geeking out on dimensions. Shortish wb? 149's might be flush in back?

Forgot about the shoulder width thing.. I've heard about that too but never really knew where to take the measurements. To get wb length on me I could measure from the round/ball thingies on the front of my shoulders. I think kinda where they pivot.

I get 14.5" if I hunch/slouch. 15.5" if I stand straight and square up.
14.5" I'm thinking pool/vert for me. Found an old 90's Black Label Hensley that was a 3flip killer for me. Measured it and it's 7-7/8"(?) and tapered, 14.5" wb.
15.5" I'm going omg! Mega? Big downhill racing? Beach cruiser? More room for the keg..
I'm 5'10-11", slim, normalish leg length? I'm also lazy and don't wanna take a big stance. Seen big wave surfers use that huge stance? I feel like that on big wb.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #631 on: December 31, 2019, 03:51:37 AM »
yeah pretty sure early on, BL and Lucero was going through NHS.

the remillard is 14wb, which is really short for me, always find my front foot sneaking up into the nose pocket after landing tricks and always have to pull it back. when I bought it I put 159's and the back truck stuck out, but with 149's seems like its even perfect on the front truck.

I don't stress too much with WB...as long as its about 14.5 to 15...thats where my stance feels natural, I think my shoulder is probably bigger but my stance is a bit closer together.

the Grosso shape is cool but 15.5 is pretty big...I stood on one last night, a dude had a big shaped AH eagle deck, and 15.5 was really big for me, so I think that might be out, but I still like how balanced it is with regards to tail and nose length.

animalflesh

« Reply #632 on: December 31, 2019, 05:04:07 AM »
off: I usually skate tight transition, DIY and curbs/ parking blocks. But also I’m 6’1, I’ve had this shape before and the wheelbase works out well for me

sammyz: it’s like 8.9 over the front truck which is the only one I usually measure

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #633 on: December 31, 2019, 09:37:47 AM »
Here's my anecdotal input from the same period (88-91?) you all are talking about.  I rode 159s and wondered if I shoulda been riding 169s. Nobody that I knew did the freestyle wheel thing on the east coast of the US. I would have done it 100% as I always wondered why 61mm was the smallest I could get. If you were skating a red cross Lucero, it was a Prime board. They had to change it when it went to NHS because somebody had copywriten a red cross. Maybe the Red Cross but then wasn't it meant to look like the back of an ambulance? I've never heard that bit about wb being the width of your shoulders. That's crazy talk and not at all applicable for me.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #634 on: December 31, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
Anti hero GT voltage 9” board.. pretty much the same as orange eagle?
Seems like it’s a little longer at 32.25”  and a 15.02” wb.. close enough. But shape? Fingers of flat? Prob run w Indy 169.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #635 on: December 31, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
Seems like it’s a little longer at 32.25”  and a 15.02” wb.. close enough. But shape? Fingers of flat? Prob run w Indy 169.

orange eagle is 33.2 inches long
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #636 on: December 31, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

orange eagle is 33.2 inches long
oh typo my part shit. Wrote 32 instead of 33
Shaped orange crusher 9.1x33x15wb.
Classic orange eagle 9x33.25x15wb.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #637 on: December 31, 2019, 05:50:51 PM »
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th/p/35th-Dragon-Shop-Deck-x42109047.htm
Anyone know what 35th Ave's 9" and 9.5" shaped decks look like? Top pics would be great.
BBS wood, right?

Sammyz, when I first got a 14" wb I'd randomly ride out of stuff nose manny. Was on a 14.25" before so said it was in my head, told meyselfto stop sliding my foot so much, that worked for me. But I'm still riding out of some stuff pocket to pocket. Weird but liveable.

Jake,
Didn't know that Red Cross was made by Prime or any of that Red Cross copyright stuff. All I can remember about it is red stain, the classic Lucero Cross logo thing he sometimes still uses, and I think a lil elephant by one of the trucks. Might have said NHS on it, but my mind could be making up that part.. memory is weird..
I thought I'd read back then that Lucero moved to NHS but I don't remember for sure. I thought it was right before SMA World Industries but my memories of that period are all jumbled together. Also was on the other side of the world so there was a huge time delay for mags and vids. What we thought was new could have been a year old.. I liked the big fat wheels, helped with my 80's delusion that I was a vert skater even though there weren't ramps around.

For real tho. Loving that there's guys here who remember that time period.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #638 on: January 03, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
any 9.0s that come to around 32" in length? everything i see is closer to 33 unless its a winkowski like shape
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #639 on: January 03, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »
Girl love seat is 32, but polar, frog, Baker, heroin, winkowski’s popsicle, ... there is a ton of 9-9.1 x32,32.25 max

PMA

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #640 on: January 03, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »
Girl love seat is 32, but polar, frog, Baker, heroin, winkowski’s popsicle, ... there is a ton of 9-9.1 x32,32.25 max

The Girl board is going to feel pretty short as the Wheelbase is sub 14"...

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #641 on: January 03, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Girl board is going to feel pretty short as the Wheelbase is sub 14"...

yeah that shape is unrideable to most full sized adults, almost a troll suggestion.

there arent a ton of decks in these dimensions, thats why i asked but what do i know

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #642 on: January 03, 2020, 11:54:59 AM »

Polar Dane 1 9.75” x 31.375” x wb 14.125”
Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen

Blazer low GT
Deck is short/small wb for me but I can revert and carve nicely and ollie it fine. Just riding around neighborhood, no parks. Wheels feel really great compared to spitfire 80hd Chargers.

Madness has me thinking venture 6.1 eventually to stretch wb on this and throw the 169 on an AH 9.1” shaped eagle.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:57:01 AM by jay_nev »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #643 on: January 03, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »

Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen

Blazer low GT
Deck is short/small wb for me but I can revert and carve nicely and ollie it fine. Just riding around neighborhood, no parks. Wheels feel really great compared to spitfire 80hd Chargers.

Madness has me thinking venture 6.1 eventually to stretch wb on this and throw the 169 on an AH 9.1” shaped eagle.

you from rhode island?

yeah i dont know how it could be anything but a cruiser at 31.3 length. i actually chopped down my orange eagle to 31.5 just to mess with the dims and i just cant see myself riding anything that small. gonna be redrilling it this week to a 14.5 from 15 and see if that does anything. just a heads up, its a hefty ass deck when its stock.

venture 6.1s on that polar will be over half an inch shorter in axle to axle wb than the AH with indys

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #644 on: January 03, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
Expand Quote

Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen

Blazer low GT

[close]

you from rhode island?

yeah i dont know how it could be anything but a cruiser at 31.3 length. i actually chopped down my orange eagle to 31.5 just to mess with the dims and i just cant see myself riding anything that small. gonna be redrilling it this week to a 14.5 from 15 and see if that does anything. just a heads up, its a hefty ass deck when its stock.

venture 6.1s on that polar will be over half an inch shorter in axle to axle wb than the AH with indys
yea RI. The Polar feels good tho either way and I’m not messing with a ton of tricks or anything. Winter in full effect too.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #645 on: January 03, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen

Blazer low GT

[close]

you from rhode island?

[close]
yea RI. The Polar feels good tho either way and I’m not messing with a ton of tricks or anything. Winter in full effect too.

funny story. i was just out in ri for christmas looking for 6.1's at civil and they didnt stock them at all. supposedly yall dont ride big trucks out there :'(

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #646 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen

Blazer low GT

[close]

you from rhode island?

[close]
[close]

funny story. i was just out in ri for christmas looking for 6.1's at civil and they didnt stock them at all. supposedly yall dont ride big trucks out there :'(
ha. Where you from? And providence store? Yeah I asked for them last week there too haha. Stocked 169 and ace 55. Sold out 6.1 but I bet they have at the EG store. Like the shop a lot either way. New shop deck they dropped yesterday is dope

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #647 on: January 03, 2020, 02:07:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen

Blazer low GT

[close]

you from rhode island?

[close]
[close]

[close]
ha. Where you from? And providence store? Yeah I asked for them last week there too haha. Stocked 169 and ace 55. Sold out 6.1 but I bet they have at the EG store. Like the shop a lot either way. New shop deck they dropped yesterday is dope

im from nyc but i was helping my girl move. went to the EG store and they told me to call Prov but no luck. refunded the gift card and snagged them on tactics for $29. didnt see the new shop decks but will check next time im out there

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #648 on: January 03, 2020, 06:07:18 PM »
Wanna see that chopped up eagle! 32 does make sense even if I like to ride shorties every once in a while. Keeps me from moving too much around a big deck. As long as the web stays at 15+ I am good.

PMA

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #649 on: January 03, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen
[close]
Seeing this setup reminded me how fun the dane shape is and I was debating that or the atm donovan rice board that are so dang close so I got the atm because why not.
Gonna put some thunder 161's on it.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: January 03, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen
[close]
Seeing this setup reminded me how fun the dane shape is and I was debating that or the atm donovan rice board that are so dang close so I got the atm because why not.
[close]
have you ridden the 161 before? I was very very close to grabbing those. I’ve liked the polar wood so far for sure.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #651 on: January 03, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
No not yet on the thunder 161, but am riding 151’s now.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #652 on: January 04, 2020, 06:09:40 AM »
Wanna see that chopped up eagle! 32 does make sense even if I like to ride shorties every once in a while. Keeps me from moving too much around a big deck. As long as the web stays at 15+ I am good.

as soon as its redrilled and cleaned up around the edges ill have it up. dont really like it at a 15'' wb. what sort of skating do you do on big wheelbases? felt best on transition but too big on everything else for me

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #653 on: January 04, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
I don’t do many flips or whatever, skate almost exclusively street and street parks, haven’t dabbled too much in big ramps.
I mainly bomb, skate fast stuff, hop stuff, slappies and ledges. So the longer Wb helps with stability and doesn’t bother as long as I don’t do crazy flips

PMA

animalflesh

« Reply #654 on: January 05, 2020, 07:50:38 AM »
Kickflips feel so good on a longer WB you can really get that Bruce lee kick going

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: January 05, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen
[close]
[close]
hey post up that atm board!
10” x 31”  or Something right?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #656 on: January 05, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »
my pops whos a carpenter redrilled my old cardiel thats still kicking from 14.8 to 14.38. that was wb of my first real skateboard and i dont know why i ever changed my wb instead of the width. took it to grab some beers and its 10x easier to flip and maneuver. wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it would be to size down from a 15 wb, but im happy with the experiment. gonna force myself to stick with it to ease the madness and actually just get good. cant wait to put some spits and 6.1s on them wednesday :)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #657 on: January 05, 2020, 06:07:06 PM »
my pops whos a carpenter redrilled my old cardiel thats still kicking from 14.8 to 14.38. that was wb of my first real skateboard and i dont know why i ever changed my wb instead of the width. took it to grab some beers and its 10x easier to flip and maneuver. wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it would be to size down from a 15 wb, but im happy with the experiment. gonna force myself to stick with it to ease the madness and actually just get good. cant wait to put some spits and 6.1s on them wednesday :)

That looks like it might work good with Ventures since the nose and tail look super long after redrilling

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #658 on: January 05, 2020, 06:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That looks like it might work good with Ventures since the nose and tail look super long after redrilling

the nose is at 7.5 and the tail was untouched at 6.75. not chopping this deck up so im stuck with it for now. doesnt seem like it will be much of a problem though

gonna try both 151 HL and the 6.1s, see what i like and stick to it until its time for a new deck. gonna stay around 14.38-14.5 for my serious setups. didnt take me long to see how much easier it is and i feel my sessions can be longer now

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #659 on: January 05, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

the nose is at 7.5 and the tail was untouched at 6.75. not chopping this deck up so im stuck with it for now. doesnt seem like it will be much of a problem though

gonna try both 151 HL and the 6.1s, see what i like and stick to it until its time for a new deck. gonna stay around 14.38-14.5 for my serious setups. didnt take me long to see how much easier it is and i feel my sessions can be longer now

Yeah by sizing down slightly and lightening up my setup I've definitely been able to skate for much longer and more frequently now. Definitely worth slipping out on some tricks going fast a bit more from time to time.