Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 542229 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1230 on: May 10, 2020, 06:57:37 PM »
those spits will surprise you if you ever go out to cruise on em

the 99a 53mm conical fulls have convinced me to avoid buying softies for a long time. would rather just get a bigger size conical full(56+), roll over everything, and not have to worry about having too much grip for slides. those wheels are fast as hell

Yeah I reckon I’m gonna try 56 conical fulls next

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1231 on: May 12, 2020, 08:26:38 PM »

Put my 215s on my big boy. Waiting for a Scram Fink to come in the mail. Would love to see a 215 thread but it’d basically be the same as this one.

Madness 10”
215 with Conical Bushings
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99
Reds
1/4”
Modus
Mob

I’ve probably put off buying a scram for about two years now, finally bit the bullet and I can’t wait. How is the concave going to be? Shape:

I just finished riding the Scram Fink! Loved that one. Concave is medium and there is a small area of flat between rear bolts and the start of the tail, so it pops with a lighter feel than the other Scram’s I have which are no fingers of flat (both also have a steeper concave than a Fink). I originally rode it on Indy 169 and those felt nice, but Venture 6.1 pop better on this for me (because it pushes wb out a bit) but don’t turn quite as nice as the Indies. Thunder 161 felt the best on this for me as they pop nice and turn great. I had to set them up with 1/4 inch risers because I ride loose trucks and don’t want wheelbite, plus that helped the pop a bit more.

I ride mostly street though, so I’m not sure how different trucks feel on transition with this.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:28:21 PM by Sundaynuggets »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1232 on: May 12, 2020, 08:29:04 PM »
 :'(MO

Put my 215s on my big boy. Waiting for a Scram Fink to come in the mail. Would love to see a 215 thread but it’d basically be the same as this one.

Madness 10”
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99
Reds
1/4”
Modus
Mob

I’ve probably put off buying a scram for about two years now, finally bit the bullet and I can’t wait. How is the concave going to be? Shape:

That madness board look like an 8ballr board ish.

I haven’t had That Scram (fink). I had one with a similar tail/shape. It was sick, really rad quality. Best folks too. Super nice. Anyways, I don’t do inverts or skate transition. 99% of the time I’m in a parking lot by myself, quietly hating myself, attempting to do a kickflip or some shit. So the board I had, with bigger wheels and 169s wasn’t exactly a tre flip machine. I hooked up a co worker that wanted to skate. Of course now I want an 80s ish shaped board, and i love their Zorlac influences. I should’ve got like a cellblock riser or something

Sunday with the excellent info!! I should have sat that round out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:32:47 PM by Ok »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1233 on: May 12, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »
:'(MO
Expand Quote

Madness 10”
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99
Reds
1/4”
Modus
Mob

[close]

That madness board look like an 8ballr board ish.

I haven’t had That Scram (fink). I had one with a similar tail/shape. It was sick, really rad quality. Best folks too. Super nice. Anyways, I don’t do inverts it’s skate transition. 99% of the time I’m in a parking lot by myself, quietly hating myself, attempting to do a kickflip or some shit. So the board I had, with bigger wheels and 169s wasn’t exactly a tre flip machine. I hooked up a co worker that wanted to skate. Of course now I want an 80s ish shaped board, and i love their Zorlac influences. I should’ve got like a cellblock riser or something

Yeah I got this Madness after coming off a Winkowski, I wanted a little bit more nose and shorter WB. Reminds me of the old Hawk boards. Very excited for my Scram! Gonna be a pool pig with 215’s on it for sure.

larryhagman

« Reply #1234 on: May 13, 2020, 10:17:05 AM »
Quote from: larryhagman

Girl Kennedy 9.25" couch shape
ace 55
old spitfire classics used to be 55mm w/ bronson g2 (also courtesy of Chromeandflammen)

somone DMed me about the Trukfit on the girl couch shape and I thought I'd share my measurements for anyone interested

good question I was racking my brain over this a lot before getting the 55s for the deck.

anyway, the shape does taper, 9.25" is just the widest point at the center, my rough measurements are
8 and 15/16" over the front bolt holes toward the nose
9 and 1/8" over the front bolt holes toward the center

8 and 7/8" over the back bolt holes toward the center
8 and 5/8" over the back bolt holes toward the tail

since Ace 55 have a 9" axle they are pretty much perfect on this board.
Nothing sticking out, wheels almost flush, which I prefer

I initially set it up with Indy 149s which worked surprisingly well but is way too tippy and the magic carpet killed me.

be aware that the nose and tail feel really steep because of the 3 fingers of flat. nothing you can't get used to though.

hope this helps!

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1235 on: May 13, 2020, 02:30:33 PM »
Skated the Riky deck for a few days, and I think it better suits my needs as a cruiser (needed a new one anyways).

There are three fingers of flat on this deck, and it's been messing with my skating. I tried Ace 66s with 5/8" risers and 58mm Spitfire Classics, and the pop was super light and inconsistent. I tried Indy 169s with 1/4" risers and same wheels, and the performance was only slightly better. I think Thunder 161s would definitely be a better fit, but I don't have any on hand. In addition, the big tail has been messing with my shuvs and the tiny nose has ruined my ability to flip the board.

I'm currently looking for decks that perform well with Aces. Do Heroin Egg shapes work with Aces? Looking for really good and consistent pop.

animalflesh

« Reply #1236 on: May 13, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »
Don’t give up on it

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1237 on: May 13, 2020, 03:42:45 PM »
Skated the Riky deck for a few days, and I think it better suits my needs as a cruiser (needed a new one anyways).

There are three fingers of flat on this deck, and it's been messing with my skating. I tried Ace 66s with 5/8" risers and 58mm Spitfire Classics, and the pop was super light and inconsistent. I tried Indy 169s with 1/4" risers and same wheels, and the performance was only slightly better. I think Thunder 161s would definitely be a better fit, but I don't have any on hand. In addition, the big tail has been messing with my shuvs and the tiny nose has ruined my ability to flip the board.

I'm currently looking for decks that perform well with Aces. Do Heroin Egg shapes work with Aces? Looking for really good and consistent pop.

Still looks good for a tranny board, if that's your kind is thing. Maybe some Ricta Clouds for cruising and Spits for tranny? Then you've got a double-threat.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1238 on: May 13, 2020, 03:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Still looks good for a tranny board, if that's your kind is thing. Maybe some Ricta Clouds for cruising and Spits for tranny? Then you've got a double-threat.

I wish, but the parks are closed down. Flatground and sometimes curbs is pretty much all I have right now.

Saint Coke

« Reply #1239 on: May 13, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
Seeing some of these boards makes me want to have 2 set ups... One popsicle one shaped

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1240 on: May 13, 2020, 07:10:43 PM »
Seeing some of these boards makes me want to have 2 set ups... One popsicle one shaped

1 regular setup and 1 cruiser is all you need.

I found that having multiple setups for specific skating (ie 1 for tranny, 1 for curbs, 1 for street, etc) always ends up in you only using one of the setups that's good for everything.

Saint Coke

« Reply #1241 on: May 13, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

1 regular setup and 1 cruiser is all you need.

I found that having multiple setups for specific skating (ie 1 for tranny, 1 for curbs, 1 for street, etc) always ends up in you only using one of the setups that's good for everything.
Well I'd love to ride nothing but shaped boards but I'm worried that it'll fuck with me a little. I guess I should stop comparing myself to my fav skaters. After all it is an art.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1242 on: May 14, 2020, 08:09:01 AM »
Anyone ridden a Zig Zogger? Kinda keen. Really want a Beemer but they don’t make enough.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1243 on: May 14, 2020, 08:15:15 AM »
Anyone ridden a Zig Zogger? Kinda keen. Really want a Beemer but they don’t make enough.
That second beemer that just came out sold out so quickly.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1244 on: May 14, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »
Expand Quote

ace 55
old spitfire classics used to be 55mm w/ bronson g2 (also courtesy of Chromeandflammen)
[close]

somone DMed me about the Trukfit on the girl couch shape and I thought I'd share my measurements for anyone interested

Expand Quote
good question I was racking my brain over this a lot before getting the 55s for the deck.

anyway, the shape does taper, 9.25" is just the widest point at the center, my rough measurements are

I initially set it up with Indy 149s which worked surprisingly well but is way too tippy and the magic carpet killed me.

be aware that the nose and tail feel really steep because of the 3 fingers of flat. nothing you can't get used to though.

hope this helps!
[close]

Thanks for posting this. Running the Love Seat shape right now and for over the trucks:

Back truck, back bolts: 8.5"
Back truck, front bolts: 8.625"
Front truck, back bolts: 8.875"
Front truck, front bolts: 8.75"

I'm skating it with Indy 149s. The WB is the shortest I've ever knowingly skated at 13.875, otherwise I would run it with Aces.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1245 on: May 14, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »

I have one of those and love it. Feels kind of crazy at first, since it’s so short and round, but is super fun and has nice pop. I came from popsicles when I first got it, so it was a drastic jump, width wise. Now I go back and forth between popsicles and wide shaped decks, so it doesn’t feel too weird when I set it up every now and again. As far as trucks go, I last had Thunder 161 on it and it felt great, but Indy 169’s also work nice on it too. It doesn’t feel like the kind of deck where the truck/wheelbase dynamic is a big deal, so pretty much any wide trucks that turn nice would probably feel good on it. I’ve tried Indy 169, Ace 55 and Thunder 161 on it and they were all nice.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1246 on: May 14, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have one of those and love it. Feels kind of crazy at first, since it’s so short and round, but is super fun and has nice pop. I came from popsicles when I first got it, so it was a drastic jump, width wise. Now I go back and forth between popsicles and wide shaped decks, so it doesn’t feel too weird when I set it up every now and again. As far as trucks go, I last had Thunder 161 on it and it felt great, but Indy 169’s also work nice on it too. It doesn’t feel like the kind of deck where the truck/wheelbase dynamic is a big deal, so pretty much any wide trucks that turn nice would probably feel good on it. I’ve tried Indy 169, Ace 55 and Thunder 161 on it and they were all nice.

Rad thanks. I’ll be putting 215s on it if I grab one. That short wheelbase seems insane / fun

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1247 on: May 14, 2020, 12:03:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Rad thanks. I’ll be putting 215s on it if I grab one. That short wheelbase seems insane / fun

No problem! Nice, post a pic when you do!

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1248 on: May 14, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »
A kind stranger was giving away some of his old decks at a local skate spot the other week. I decided to take this one off his hands. I mean the board was free and I already had these wheels, so it's like the new trucks, bearings, and risers paid for themselves, right?

10" x 33.5" w/ 15.5" WB mystery deck
1/8" Independent risers
Ace 66 (they Alladin a bit, but it's chill)
China Reds
OJ Winkowski 61mm

(WB probably measured incorrectly)

I took it on its maiden voyage yesterday afternoon. For the first 30 minutes, I was seriously struggling. Even pushing around was punishing and ollies felt like doing bunny hops on a beach cruiser. I was pretty much ready to pass it on to the next sucker and absolve myself entirely, but then "something clicked" (had second beer). I started pushing harder out of frustration, and that inadvertently taught me that riding super fast into shit makes everything better and won't kill me. I did the longest slap grinds of my life and credit this board with giving me the nerve to just bash into things after over 20 years of apprehensive skating. I don't think it'll replace my primary, but I love it for what it is. Respect to anyone who flips a 10" board. Jesus.

Previous owner's sick grip job:

Comparison with the 9.35 Krooked I posted the other day and thought was a big board (lol):

If you're on here, thanks José!

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1249 on: May 14, 2020, 03:47:56 PM »
Faulk! Looks like a tech deck. Would love to give that a spin even though I highly doubt the functionality of a 10“ pop

PMA

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1250 on: May 14, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »
A kind stranger was giving away some of his old decks at a local skate spot the other week. I decided to take this one off his hands. I mean the board was free and I already had these wheels, so it's like the new trucks, bearings, and risers paid for themselves, right?

1/8" Independent risers
China Reds
OJ Winkowski 61mm

I took it on its maiden voyage yesterday afternoon. For the first 30 minutes, I was seriously struggling. Even pushing around was punishing and ollies felt like doing bunny hops on a beach cruiser. I was pretty much ready to pass it on to the next sucker and absolve myself entirely, but then "something clicked" (had second beer). I started pushing harder out of frustration, and that inadvertently taught me that riding super fast into shit makes everything better and won't kill me. I did the longest slap grinds of my life and credit this board with giving me the nerve to just bash into things after over 20 years of apprehensive skating. I don't think it'll replace my primary, but I love it for what it is. Respect to anyone who flips a 10" board. Jesus.

Comparison with the 9.35 Krooked I posted the other day and thought was a big board (lol):

What’s the concave like on the 10 popsicle?

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1251 on: May 14, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »
Expand Quote

1/8" Independent risers
China Reds
OJ Winkowski 61mm

[close]

What’s the concave like on the 10 popsicle?

Seems to me like medium/mellow, but at this width, no amount of concave will help me out.

Faulk! Looks like a tech deck. Would love to give that a spin even though I highly doubt the functionality of a 10“ pop

It's a complete Peter Mind-Faulk, and you're absolutely right to doubt its functionality! Somehow totally essential riding though.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1252 on: May 14, 2020, 06:25:55 PM »
Gotcha, thanks! I would love to try a 10 popsicle with super deep concave some time. Like a South central or something like that

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #1253 on: May 14, 2020, 10:55:55 PM »
Yes

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #1254 on: May 14, 2020, 11:13:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace 55
[close]

Expand Quote

hope this helps!
[close]
[close]

Thanks for posting this. Running the Love Seat shape right now and for over the trucks:

I'm skating it with Indy 149s. The WB is the shortest I've ever knowingly skated at 13.875, otherwise I would run it with Aces.

any carpet ride with the 149s? i hv the Primitive Anxiety Man egg shaped 9.125" 14.25"wb deck. was thinking either pair it with Ace 44s, Indy 149s or Thunder 151s..

TheAvidBleeder

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1255 on: May 15, 2020, 05:54:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace 55
[close]

Expand Quote

hope this helps!
[close]
[close]

[close]

any carpet ride with the 149s? i hv the Primitive Anxiety Man egg shaped 9.125" 14.25"wb deck. was thinking either pair it with Ace 44s, Indy 149s or Thunder 151s..

I have the Villani Egg which is the same shape setup with some Thunder 149’s.  I love it!  Skates like much narrower board. I can still flip it fine. No crazy magic carpet feel/look.  I run two washers on the inside.  Board tapers to about 8.75 at the wheels.  Really any of those trucks would work well.   Thunder 151’s would be the most precise fit width wise.  I wish Ace had an 8.75 axel truck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1256 on: May 15, 2020, 05:57:15 AM »

1/8" Independent risers
China Reds
OJ Winkowski 61mm

Look at that Vans sticker, daaaaamn
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1257 on: May 15, 2020, 06:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace 55
[close]

Expand Quote

hope this helps!
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have the Villani Egg which is the same shape setup with some Thunder 149’s.  I love it!  Skates like much narrower board. I can still flip it fine. No crazy magic carpet feel/look.  I run two washers on the inside.  Board tapers to about 8.75 at the wheels.  Really any of those trucks would work well.   Thunder 151’s would be the most precise fit width wise.  I wish Ace had an 8.75 axel truck.

Slight magic carper over the front of the Love Seat but the back truck is basically flush. 159s looked too wide for it to me and the 149s look and feel great. I actually just swapped them out for some ace 44s with extra washers last night so we'll see how they do as well.

Edit: here it is with the Ace 44s, both washers inside and the wheels sit at about the same place. I prefer Aces and think the look better.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:30:29 PM by FrozenIndustries »

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1258 on: May 15, 2020, 11:15:50 AM »
Do you question the functionality of an XL shirt or size 15 shoes.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1259 on: May 17, 2020, 08:18:29 AM »
Previous Scram met an untimely death, new fella

Scram 10’ wide, 33 long, 15 wb
Indy 159 (switched to 169’s now)
Spitfire f4 58mm comics full

Feels just like a longer Dane1