Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 542233 times)

Saint Coke

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1290 on: May 18, 2020, 12:16:14 PM »
it's an art baby.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1291 on: May 18, 2020, 12:49:08 PM »
It won’t make any difference if you find the right shape

A big football or 90s style shape with a 14-14.5 wheelbase tre flips just as easy as anything
I do have 14.125 wb, but I do have Ventures on it which brings it out quite a bit. That does makes me wonder if they will come easier if I bought some indys or aces for it. Although I don't really want to put myself through truck madness on such a fun setup.
As far as the art of it, I think I have tried every damn foot placement possible and the only way I can land them is standing still. Any insight from you guys on them would be extremely appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:58:29 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1292 on: May 18, 2020, 01:02:11 PM »
Expand Quote

A big football or 90s style shape with a 14-14.5 wheelbase tre flips just as easy as anything
[close]
Unfortunately I do have 14.125 wb, but I do have Ventures on it which brings it out quite a bit. That does makes me wonder if they will come easier if I bought some indys or aces for it. Although I don't really want to put myself through truck madness on such a fun setup.
As far as the art of it, I think I have tried every damn foot placement possible and the only way I can land them is standing still. Any insight from you guys on them would be extremely appreciated!

Right here with ya. Used to be the easiest, now they are not.
I cannot do them standing still. Rolling is way easier. I wish I could help, because I know the pain well. I like a pointy tail, and if I haven’t been doing them recently then a truck like ace/Indy/venture hi. Helps me get under and scoop it (this cannot be true, but whatever).

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1293 on: May 18, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »
How many of you skate shaped boards regularly?

Popsicle for progression, shaped for fun/screwing around

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1294 on: May 18, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1295 on: May 18, 2020, 02:36:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Unfortunately I do have 14.125 wb, but I do have Ventures on it which brings it out quite a bit. That does makes me wonder if they will come easier if I bought some indys or aces for it. Although I don't really want to put myself through truck madness on such a fun setup.
[close]

I cannot do them standing still. Rolling is way easier. I wish I could help, because I know the pain well. I like a pointy tail, and if I haven’t been doing them recently then a truck like ace/Indy/venture hi. Helps me get under and scoop it (this cannot be true, but whatever).
Thanks man,I am glad I'm not alone! I can still do them on my 8.5 popsicle pretty consistently on flatground, off bumps and down small stuff. So when I set up my big board this winter and could do them in my living room no problem, confidence was high. But as soon as I could skate my 9.5 outside the struggle began.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1296 on: May 18, 2020, 03:13:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I'm realizing that maybe is the opposite for me
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

animalflesh

« Reply #1297 on: May 18, 2020, 03:24:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Thanks man,I am glad I'm not alone! I can still do them on my 8.5 popsicle pretty consistently on flatground, off bumps and down small stuff. So when I set up my big board this winter and could do them in my living room no problem, confidence was high. But as soon as I could skate my 9.5 outside the struggle began.

The wider trucks can sometimes harder to get the board spinning and flipping but it’s really all about how you do them...

If you scoop as you pop: the board is too stable or too much of a plank to start doing it’s thing

If you wait for your tail to snap THEN scoop it’s a lot easier

Or maybe it’s just my own weird made up thing

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1298 on: May 18, 2020, 03:46:48 PM »
I definitely scoop as I pop..I will try the second approach and report back. Thanks a ton sir.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1299 on: May 18, 2020, 03:59:50 PM »
I still have a 9“ popsicle deck but only „skate“ it on the trampoline.
For some reason I like how popsicles look when others skate it but frustrate me when I do.
Maybe I just expect things to be easier on a pop or smaller decks but they are not.

PMA

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1300 on: May 18, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »

Rick Howard Skull of Fame 9.25x32x13.875 (I think it's the Powerslide shape)
Matte black 55s
F4 classic 101a 56mm

It's the widest board i've ever owned by a long shot, but the shape feels tiny.  the aces pull it in super tight, i don't know if i like that yet, pretty keen to get a proper skate in on it

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1301 on: May 18, 2020, 04:41:19 PM »

Rick Howard Skull of Fame 9.25x32x13.875 (I think it's the Powerslide shape)
Matte black 55s
F4 classic 101a 56mm

It's the widest board i've ever owned by a long shot, but the shape feels tiny.  the aces pull it in super tight, i don't know if i like that yet, pretty keen to get a proper skate in on it
That looks so fun.

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1302 on: May 18, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »
Alright another Dane 1 post coming...

How tall are you Dane riders? Im three weeks into riding mine (Thunder 161 and 54mm conicals) and really having fun. Tricks like kickflips are actually been easier (although maybe not higher) than they have been on the 8.5 with 14.5 wheelbases. It does feel a bit short however for my frame; I'm 6'2".

I met a dude at the park also riding one, he was a few inches taller than me and killing it.

Im really having fun so im pretty sure I will buy another but I was hoping for any reflections on the short wheelbase of the board.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1303 on: May 18, 2020, 06:30:28 PM »

How tall are you Dane riders? Im three weeks into riding mine (Thunder 161 and 54mm conicals) and really having fun. Tricks like kickflips are actually been easier (although maybe not higher) than they have been on the 8.5 with 14.5 wheelbases. It does feel a bit short however for my frame; I'm 6'2".

I met a dude at the park also riding one, he was a few inches taller than me and killing it.

Im really having fun so im pretty sure I will buy another but I was hoping for any reflections on the short wheelbase of the board.
at 6'5 im more worried about the length that wheelbase. that deck is shorter than my patience
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1304 on: May 18, 2020, 07:10:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
at 6'5 im more worried about the length that wheelbase. that deck is shorter than my patience
yeah I’m 6’4” and a half and out my Dane 1 to rest for a bit. Had it w 169’s and 54 keyframes and 54mm conicals. Funny you say that about kickflips but after jumping on a 8.75”/14.5”wb popsicle I just forgot how to flip the Dane. The pop just seems so much more predictable on a pop. Only kick “flips” and minimal at that. Probably just getting used to eithr/or but I don’t know. Ran out of room quick on the Dane, feel cramped and dunno about the tail. You use risers w the 161? I want more length for sure

sexhaver2006

« Reply #1305 on: May 18, 2020, 11:12:38 PM »
no risers and yeah i think its the overall length. Maybe if there was a bit more flat before the nose and a bit more nose it would be perfect. When I ollie I feel like I run out of room to slide my foot up.

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #1306 on: May 18, 2020, 11:50:25 PM »
It's an addiction. Did I need another setup? Of course not.
But I can't help myself. Love me some BBB (Big Beautiful Boards).

I'm still tinkering with it. Think I want to add a 1/8 riser. Its got 56 classic full F4s now. Might change it out to some 58 Conical fulls or 60 Classics.
Welcome to the fatty family.

old bump, but what trucks are you running on that curb crusher? 169? how’s the turning? hoping to pick up 169s and add a hollow kingpin with this board. It’s a sick setup btw, love it
niggling

[/quote]

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #1307 on: May 19, 2020, 06:02:56 AM »
Expand Quote

I'm still tinkering with it. Think I want to add a 1/8 riser. Its got 56 classic full F4s now. Might change it out to some 58 Conical fulls or 60 Classics.

[close]

old bump, but what trucks are you running on that curb crusher? 169? how’s the turning? hoping to pick up 169s and add a hollow kingpin with this board. It’s a sick setup btw, love it
Yes, 169s. Aftermarket red 88 conical bushings. Turns good. The wheelbase was advertised as 14.75. But when I measured, it's more like 14.625. This thing is more of a coping crusher than curb for me.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1308 on: May 19, 2020, 06:08:29 AM »

I decided last night I wanted to try something different for my big board and really liked this shape, so I ordered it. Have any of you guys ever had this? I think its Girl "love seat" shape. 9×32 x 13.875 wb
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:17:23 AM by Seventyfrigginseven »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1309 on: May 19, 2020, 07:08:15 AM »

I decided last night I wanted to try something different for my big board and really liked this shape, so I ordered it. Have any of you guys ever had this? I think its Girl "love seat" shape. 9×32 x 13.875 wb

I don't want to clog this thing up with a long quote but I posted a bunch of stuff about mine on the last page and in the egg thread.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1310 on: May 19, 2020, 07:12:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't want to clog this thing up with a long quote but I posted a bunch of stuff about mine on the last page and in the egg thread.
Perfect thank you!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1311 on: May 19, 2020, 07:19:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Perfect thank you!

Sure thing. Only thing different is that yesterday I went up from Ace 44s to 55s on it and they go hard.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1312 on: May 19, 2020, 08:43:28 AM »
Sounds like a nice setup. I plan on using Venture 5.8s with double inside washers but if they are too narrow I will move up to 6.1s.
I dont know how I missed your discussion about it only one page back though.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1313 on: May 19, 2020, 09:43:06 AM »
I want to see someone create a freestyle setup using 215s.

The krux downlow mod is weird with the bullet trucks baseplate.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1314 on: May 19, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
Sounds like a nice setup. I plan on using Venture 5.8s with double inside washers but if they are too narrow I will move up to 6.1s.

This super ripper skates that board with the 5.8s. I think someone mentioned that Simon skates it with 159s (6.1 equivalent) so sounds like you are on it. Those things look fun

sexhaver2006

« Reply #1315 on: May 19, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »
Anyone here ride the Polar 1992 shape? If so whats the width over the back bolts.

I been riding Thunder 161 with conicals on my Dane 1 and am wondering if they would hot rod...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1316 on: May 19, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This super ripper skates that board with the 5.8s. I think someone mentioned that Simon skates it with 159s (6.1 equivalent) so sounds like you are on it. Those things look fun

With the way it tapers, it'll take whatever kind of trucks. 5.8s will definitely be good. I switched to the 55s because I have some event wider boards up next, but anything with an 8.5"-ish axle up will work with it.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1317 on: May 19, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

With the way it tapers, it'll take whatever kind of trucks. 5.8s will definitely be good. I switched to the 55s because I have some event wider boards up next, but anything with an 8.5"-ish axle up will work with it.
Thats good to hear because I really shouldn't be buying more trucks right now.
And to Mr.OK I want to be a super ripper too.. sounds like I am well on my way.  :)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1318 on: May 19, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Thats good to hear because I really shouldn't be buying more trucks right now.
And to Mr.OK I want to be a super ripper too.. sounds like I am well on my way.  :)

Ha. Dude is incredibly nice, answered some questions on here. Recognized the name from some clips....rippingest for sure.
Stoked people are buying Simon’s shape!

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #1319 on: May 19, 2020, 03:03:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Yes, 169s. Aftermarket red 88 conical bushings. Turns good. The wheelbase was advertised as 14.75. But when I measured, it's more like 14.625. This thing is more of a coping crusher than curb for me.

cool cool cool, sexy setup. what’s the width over the mounting holes? 169 looks perfect on there! 159s too skinny probably?
niggling

[/quote]