Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 542253 times)

LK1503

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1530 on: June 12, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
First time posting, recently been lurkin hard. Just started skating again at 29 years old, last time was probably 14 and I never really learned any tricks. basically a total beginner, but been following skateboarding forever and pumped to get back on it!

Wondering what any taller guys find as a comfortable wheelbase, I'm doing a lot of experimenting because I'm 6'7" (legs aren't crazy long for that height, but long).
I'm currently riding a Black Label Lucero 9.25 cruiser (15ish WB) with Thunder 151's and OJ super juice 60mm. I get that the big wheels will make a difference too. and a Polar Dane shape (14.125 WB I believe, and new Venture 6.1 and 58mm spitfire.
I'm honestly still working on slappies a little and trying to dial in an Ollie, with lots of just cruising and pushing on both boards.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #1531 on: June 12, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Ricky Oyola on traffic slappy theories 9.25
[close]

I'm curious -- what does traffic's "slappy" shape really mean?  Just that it is 9.25?  I was looking at their website earlier to see what width options there were and saw slappy as one with no other qualifier as far as I could tell

I would assume it's the theories special deliver shape. They use if for their boards and traffic boards every so often. It's usually the same shape. I had the newman one as a cruiser a while back. Here's what it looks like when it was just set up.

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1532 on: June 12, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
First time posting, recently been lurkin hard. Just started skating again at 29 years old, last time was probably 14 and I never really learned any tricks. basically a total beginner, but been following skateboarding forever and pumped to get back on it!

Wondering what any taller guys find as a comfortable wheelbase, I'm doing a lot of experimenting because I'm 6'7" (legs aren't crazy long for that height, but long).
I'm currently riding a Black Label Lucero 9.25 cruiser (15ish WB) with Thunder 151's and OJ super juice 60mm. I get that the big wheels will make a difference too. and a Polar Dane shape (14.125 WB I believe, and new Venture 6.1 and 58mm spitfire.
I'm honestly still working on slappies a little and trying to dial in an Ollie, with lots of just cruising and pushing on both boards.

Go with what feels comfortable. With your height, wheelbase will make a difference. I'm 6'1 and I ride a Lucero 9.25 with 15 wb. I also have a 10 inch I like a lot. The wide boards aren't great for flip tricks, but they're great to ride, especially for big bros.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1533 on: June 12, 2020, 05:29:27 PM »

At this point, don't worry about it too much. I'm 6'3" and am skating a 14.5", but my last board was a 13.875". There are so many other factors and it's really easy to drive yourself totally batty with gear madness. Different shit works for different people just based on what you like to skate, how you skate, and your aesthetic preferences. Just try things you think look cool and you'll figure it out.

Here is a thread for tall-person gear madness, it gets bumped occasionally: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109009.0

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1534 on: June 12, 2020, 06:52:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

At this point, don't worry about it too much. I'm 6'3" and am skating a 14.5", but my last board was a 13.875". There are so many other factors and it's really easy to drive yourself totally batty with gear madness. Different shit works for different people just based on what you like to skate, how you skate, and your aesthetic preferences. Just try things you think look cool and you'll figure it out.

Here is a thread for tall-person gear madness, it gets bumped occasionally: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109009.0
yeah I’m with not overthinking it as well. But sometimes my boredom and gear likeness gets me wanting to try a variety of thing. But I just grabbed a 9” shop popsicle not really caring about the longer wheelbase (clutch V10 Squarish- round shape, prob better for transition which I prob won’t ride w it). I just wanted to support and try it as a street/slappy set up.

Also w the Dane 1 regarding pop on the square tail I find if I angle my foot more towards the back and have my toes on the middle of the tail instead of the end I get a snappier response.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1535 on: June 12, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »

Heroin Deer man of dark woods 9.25 (Iirc, can’t remember exactly)
Mob
Indy 159 Ti
Ricta cloud 56mm, 78a
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:05:49 PM by Sundaynuggets »

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #1536 on: June 13, 2020, 01:42:08 AM »

Mob
Indy 159 Ti
Ricta cloud 56mm, 78a
Great setup! That shape is so dang fun for transition. I skated mine forever ago with 149s but 159s look (and probably feel) a hell of a lot better on that thing! Do the newer deer man decks have the multiple wheelbase options? I know some do and some don’t.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1537 on: June 13, 2020, 08:03:35 AM »
Expand Quote

Mob
Indy 159 Ti
Ricta cloud 56mm, 78a
[close]
Great setup! That shape is so dang fun for transition. I skated mine forever ago with 149s but 159s look (and probably feel) a hell of a lot better on that thing! Do the newer deer man decks have the multiple wheelbase options? I know some do and some don’t.

Thanks! Yeah, 149’s probably would feel good on this too. I grabbed the 159’s because I’ve been switching back and forth a lot between popsicles and shaped decks from 8.5-10.25 but sometimes the bigger set ups felt clunky so I figured 159Ti would fit that range well and also feel a bit lighter.

This one didn’t have double wheelbase drilled but I think I’ve seen some online that do. Not 100% sure on that though

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1538 on: June 13, 2020, 08:23:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mob
Indy 159 Ti
Ricta cloud 56mm, 78a
[close]
[close]

Thanks! Yeah, 149’s probably would feel good on this too. I grabbed the 159’s because I’ve been switching back and forth a lot between popsicles and shaped decks from 8.5-10.25 but sometimes the bigger set ups felt clunky so I figured 159Ti would fit that range well and also feel a bit lighter.

This one didn’t have double wheelbase drilled but I think I’ve seen some online that do. Not 100% sure on that though

Killer setup, spot looks very fun.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1539 on: June 13, 2020, 08:48:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mob
Indy 159 Ti
Ricta cloud 56mm, 78a
[close]
[close]

[close]

Killer setup, spot looks very fun.

Thanks!

It is pretty fun, the main bank is really mellow but that manhole cover thing has a nice curve leading up to it that is pretty fun!

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1540 on: June 13, 2020, 09:49:24 AM »
That spot does look ridiculously fun. It would be cool to see some pics or footage of it. I just stared at it way to long trying to figure different things that I would try on it. That setup is dope too btw.

tony mugu

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1541 on: June 13, 2020, 09:54:44 AM »
would thunder 148’s work on a 8.9/9 football/egg shape? Or is it pushing it a bit too much for that size truck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1542 on: June 13, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
would thunder 148’s work on a 8.9/9 football/egg shape? Or is it pushing it a bit too much for that size truck.
151 is the best for that, 149 would be pushing it too much imo.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1543 on: June 13, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
That spot does look ridiculously fun. It would be cool to see some pics or footage of it. I just stared at it way to long trying to figure different things that I would try on it. That setup is dope too btw.

For sure! I’ll try to take some pics/video next time I go there!

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1544 on: June 13, 2020, 12:03:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure! I’ll try to take some pics/video next time I go there!
Hell yeah sounds good man!

aLEXICONdEVIL

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1545 on: June 13, 2020, 03:16:57 PM »
Pet Skateboards 9" "Bippy"

Independent Stage 11, 159's i believe, based on hanger size and when I bought 'em

Ricta 56mm clouds with reds

A slapper in its natural habitat
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 03:18:46 PM by aLEXICONdEVIL »

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1546 on: June 13, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »
Lakai just quietly released two Rob Welsh colorways for the Newport Hi

https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/newport-hi-white-grey-suede-ms2200253a00

There's an ad roaming around on IG that shows the full details, as well as him holding the shoe.
You been drinking young man?

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1547 on: June 13, 2020, 03:27:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Lakai just quietly released two Rob Welsh colorways for the Newport Hi

https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/newport-hi-white-grey-suede-ms2200253a00

There's an ad roaming around on IG that shows the full details, as well as him holding the shoe.
[close]
You been drinking young man?

My bad, had the wrong tab open

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #1548 on: June 13, 2020, 08:26:16 PM »
Pet Skateboards 9" "Bippy"

Independent Stage 11, 159's i believe, based on hanger size and when I bought 'em

Ricta 56mm clouds with reds

A slapper in its natural habitat
Loved that shape! Skated mine with thunder 149s, but it probably would’ve been better with 151. Hope you are liking it!

aLEXICONdEVIL

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1549 on: June 14, 2020, 04:15:51 PM »
Expand Quote
^weird fact; I heard lance rides 139's or 49's with that model and that he likes the overhang.
[close]

Great Setups everyone!!!!!!
I'm kinda interested in the overhang convo, I've heard more people doing underhang (bigger trucks than deck) I have some 149s' (8.50) indys on a 9.25 deck, the overhang is kinda nice, planned on putting cruiser wheels on it but I'm lazy, just left the 58mm spitfire classics, board feels really good and turns super well if you lean into that extra wood, but the skinner truck scares me on grinds sometimes if I think about it. flips well and kinda leans out of primos, ever smoked primos? that shit was fucked

I run my main set up overhang too. 8.75 deck with indy 139's and 53mm spitfire classics. Idk why it just feels very good, definitely flips well. Not doing very technical grinds but 5050s and 5-0s all work on it without any extra effort

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1550 on: June 14, 2020, 11:59:52 PM »
I’m about to join you boys/ gals in this thread with a chocolate 9.25 couch shape, any of you ever ridden one? I put the trucks on yesterday and stood on it and I gotta say, 13.875 wheelbase feels short. Then again, I rode Chico’s chocolate model and got used to it fairly quickly.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1551 on: June 15, 2020, 02:42:55 AM »
I’m about to join you boys/ gals in this thread with a chocolate 9.25 couch shape, any of you ever ridden one? I put the trucks on yesterday and stood on it and I gotta say, 13.875 wheelbase feels short. Then again, I rode Chico’s chocolate model and got used to it fairly quickly.
I have the love seat 9" from Girl, so its pretty similar. The 13.8 wb is super short but with some Ventures on it, it works good for me.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1552 on: June 15, 2020, 04:02:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have the love seat 9" from Girl, so its pretty similar. The 13.8 wb is super short but with some Ventures on it, it works good for me.
yeah, I’ve got film 6.0 on it but wondering if I should stick some thunder 149s on instead to spread out the wheelbase a bit 🤔

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1553 on: June 15, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
yeah, I’ve got film 6.0 on it but wondering if I should stick some thunder 149s on instead to spread out the wheelbase a bit 🤔
I have only ran Ventures (except having indys for a week or so) so I'm not much help there. I think spreading the wb would be the best bet though. Axel width wise on my love seats I loved the 5.8 Ventures and hated the 6.1s if that helps.

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1554 on: June 15, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
i'm running ace 55s on mine, it pulls the wheelbase in ridiculously tight but i'm having heaps of fun on it!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1555 on: June 15, 2020, 04:54:25 PM »
Just chiming in the I skated my loveseat with aces and loved it. I'm also mad tall. It takes a second to get used to how fast it rotates but it rules.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1556 on: June 15, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »
Okay, thanks for all the input. I’ll try it with the films and if I can’t get used to it, I’ll chuck the thunders on instead.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1557 on: June 15, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »
Okay, thanks for all the input. I’ll try it with the films and if I can’t get used to it, I’ll chuck the thunders on instead.

lmao is ur forum signature a GISM reference

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1558 on: June 15, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »
Yes, yes it is! I wanted Gang Infidel Semen Massacre but apparently it was too long 🤷‍♂️

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1559 on: June 15, 2020, 08:01:01 PM »
fucking amazing