Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 542300 times)

Seventyfrigginseven

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1890 on: August 19, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
Expand Quote

New Winkowski Shape 10 x 31.59 (14.5wb)
169 (conical bushings + flat washer)
OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

Same concave, longer nose, wider at the back truck and narrower at the tail. It’s interesting, definitely an improvement but I miss the old tail. Fucking excited though
[close]

ooohhhh weeeee. This is right up my alley, I never wanted to get an "old" Winkowski due to the lack of nose.
Same here, That looks pretty close to the perfect shape.I am proud of myself for not buying one yet.

handsclapanin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #1891 on: August 19, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I would say the nose of the Dane1 is pretty big. Length wise it's under the standard 32" but it's pretty close and the nose, though it tapers, is still there and is usable. My main issue is that it was a little wide and made my pop feel heavy even though the wheelbase is my ideal. For me it was a one and done even though it looks sick when I see pics of other people's set ups. In theory, I love it but it didn't totally click for me. Gonna try a 1992 some time soon.
[close]
1991/1992 shape are both really fun. Both are at or slightly over 32 long vs the Dane is under 31.5 which makes my foot come off every Ollie I try. 14.25/14.4 wb is optimal for Me to keep my flip tricks And not have my setup feel like a Cadillac . Prefer 7 inch nose 6.75 tail. Dane nose is 6.5 or less, it works but feels more cruiser than functional.
[close]
I'm riding the 91 now which is pretty comfortable, but thinking of the 92 next, do you know the width of the 92 over the back truck, seems to taper more? I'm considering the $lave war pig too but can't seem to find all dimensions besides wb and length, the nose seems pointier and smaller, but after hearing these opinions I'm willing to try.
I took a tape measure to my war pig for you.
L: 31.625
W: 9.5
WB: 14.5
N: 6
T: 6.75
Width at front truck: 9.125
Width at back truck: 8.875

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1892 on: August 19, 2020, 06:26:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

Same concave, longer nose, wider at the back truck and narrower at the tail. It’s interesting, definitely an improvement but I miss the old tail. Fucking excited though
[close]

ooohhhh weeeee. This is right up my alley, I never wanted to get an "old" Winkowski due to the lack of nose.
[close]
Same here, That looks pretty close to the perfect shape.I am proud of myself for not buying one yet.

I definitely like it, but there’s just something about it that’s not quite right. Feels like an extremely flat popsicle until you go to pop then you remember it’s not a normal board at all. Can still do everything on it, but not everything feels right on it.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1893 on: August 19, 2020, 07:24:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

[close]

[close]
[close]

I definitely like it, but there’s just something about it that’s not quite right. Feels like an extremely flat popsicle until you go to pop then you remember it’s not a normal board at all. Can still do everything on it, but not everything feels right on it.
Somehow I think I know exactly what you mean, without ever seeing one in person..let alone ever skating one. I am grateful you said something, because I am giving up on finding the "tombstone" shape I am truly looking for and would of eventually settled for the Winkowski.Not that they are similar, just because it looked like it would pop/flip good too.

Someday I will find this..mark my words  :)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1894 on: August 19, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »
This pic is telling of the tail/nose/concave

Santa Cruz Winkowski Trash Panda Card Deck 10 x 31.6

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1895 on: August 19, 2020, 07:32:25 PM »

Oh shit..I know I would been even more of a mess on that. I would of been bummed. Still a nice looking shape though.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1896 on: August 19, 2020, 10:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Oh shit..I know I would been even more of a mess on that. I would of been bummed. Still a nice looking shape though.
would be great for ollie norths
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1897 on: August 20, 2020, 02:27:18 AM »
sorry for the double post but im getting the late night itch. how are the kicks on the polar 1991/1992 shapes? looking to set one up with 151 hollows once my ventures come in for my daily driver
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1898 on: August 20, 2020, 12:10:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Somehow I think I know exactly what you mean, without ever seeing one in person..let alone ever skating one. I am grateful you said something, because I am giving up on finding the "tombstone" shape I am truly looking for and would of eventually settled for the Winkowski.Not that they are similar, just because it looked like it would pop/flip good too.

I don't know much about old skool shapes (born 1991) but that tombstone shape looks awesome. Reminds me of the brown bomber, just bigger.
IG: @flowterspace

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1899 on: August 20, 2020, 02:42:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't know much about old skool shapes (born 1991) but that tombstone shape looks awesome. Reminds me of the brown bomber, just bigger.
It's very similar to the first board I ever owned, which was before you were even born  ;D I actually own a Zero deck that is almost exact to this..but it is getting tired.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1900 on: August 20, 2020, 07:27:13 PM »
sorry for the double post but im getting the late night itch. how are the kicks on the polar 1991/1992 shapes? looking to set one up with 151 hollows once my ventures come in for my daily driver
They use a mellower mold for the boards that big, which is why I like them.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1901 on: August 21, 2020, 03:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
would be great for ollie norths
Ha I just saw this. Yes it would!

MIDIMA

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1902 on: August 21, 2020, 05:43:38 AM »

OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

Awesome setup! Just bought the same board but I'm still confused about what trucks to pair it with.
I'd like to have them flush with the tail or very slightly larger. Should I go for 159's or 169's? Can you see your wheels looking from above with the 169's?
  Thanks!

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #1903 on: August 21, 2020, 12:12:02 PM »

Scram 9 3/8
14 5/8s wheelbase
Ace 66s with sanded bones mediums
Spit F4 classic 58s
Swisses
1 inch Phillips
1/8 inch risers

Oh, and I found some SLB mids I had left on the back burner.  Stoked.

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1904 on: August 21, 2020, 01:57:05 PM »
Anyone know the width over the back trucks on the Polar 1992? I have a pair of thunder 161s that I'm hoping aren't too wide, dont want to buy another pair of trucks if I can help it.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1905 on: August 21, 2020, 05:22:12 PM »
Anyone know the width over the back trucks on the Polar 1992? I have a pair of thunder 161s that I'm hoping aren't too wide, dont want to buy another pair of trucks if I can help it.
I rode 169s on 1992, they were a little wide but not too bad.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1906 on: August 21, 2020, 05:46:18 PM »
Y'all are trying really hard to make me buy a scram deck and it's working

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1907 on: August 21, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »

Swapped the Winkowski, just couldn’t do it.

Scram Spiff 9.5 x 32 x 14.75”
169 Conical Bushings Flat washer
58mm F4 Radial Full 99a
1/4” Riser
Swiss

Also, I would recommend 169 for the new Wink, i couldn’t see my wheels as much as I would have liked to.
Damn thats sick.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1908 on: August 21, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »

58mm F4 Radial Full 99a
1/4” Riser
Swiss

Also, I would recommend 169 for the new Wink, i couldn’t see my wheels as much as I would have liked to.

What didn’t you like about the Winkowski? Also, Scrams are awesome, they always have such good shapes

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1909 on: August 21, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »

Deathwish 9.1 x 32 (13.875 WB)
Ace 55
Spitfire 53mm F4 99 Classics
Shortys/Reds/Jessup

I had originally bought this because it was similar in shape and dimensions to the Girl loveseat shape but on BBS wood. I also like the graphic a lot, though I'm kind of bummed that it has a blonde ply below it (which I'll admit is petty, but I've been spoiled). Anyway, I rolled my ankle pretty bad last weekend and am still not 100 so I just took this out for a few slappies and no complies and am pretty hyped. The loveseat had a ton of flat and then super abrupt kicks, whereas this feels like a mellow Baker mold where there is still some flat but the kicks are more gradual. I wasn't feeling up to trying anything switch/nollie but the nose feels nice and I think I'm going to like it.

Posted the top because the 55s work nicely with it and I want to say it is like 8.875" over the front pair of the back bolts. I can't wait for Ace to make an 8.75" truck but these aren't hotrodding or anything. I took out the MiniLogo bushings I was ruining because, though they were nice, the color and logo were annoying me and I felt like the hardness of the barrel made the turn a little too slow.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #1910 on: August 21, 2020, 07:06:08 PM »
Y'all are trying really hard to make me buy a scram deck and it's working

i recently got a couple Scrams, they look great, shapes/graphics love em.  i even bought some of the grip, not that i'll ever use it, was thinking i'd hang it on the wall or something.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1911 on: August 21, 2020, 07:10:02 PM »

Ace 55
Shortys/Reds/Jessup

I had originally bought this because it was similar in shape and dimensions to the Girl loveseat shape but on BBS wood. I also like the graphic a lot, though I'm kind of bummed that it has a blonde ply below it (which I'll admit is petty, but I've been spoiled). Anyway, I rolled my ankle pretty bad last weekend and am still not 100 so I just took this out for a few slappies and no complies and am pretty hyped. The loveseat had a ton of flat and then super abrupt kicks, whereas this feels like a mellow Baker mold where there is still some flat but the kicks are more gradual. I wasn't feeling up to trying anything switch/nollie but the nose feels nice and I think I'm going to like it.

Posted the top because the 55s work nicely with it and I want to say it is like 8.875" over the front pair of the back bolts. I can't wait for Ace to make an 8.75" truck but these aren't hotrodding or anything. I took out the MiniLogo bushings I was ruining because, though they were nice, the color and logo were annoying me and I felt like the hardness of the barrel made the turn a little too slow.

Great set up. Pointier tail than the Girl love seat though. But YES to ACE 8.75s one day....

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1912 on: August 21, 2020, 07:19:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace 55
Shortys/Reds/Jessup

[close]

Great set up. Pointier tail than the Girl love seat though. But YES to ACE 8.75s one day....

Thanks! Yeah, way less square on the tail (but not too pointy) which I like. I love 55s as is but knowing an 8.75" truck is coming is rad.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1913 on: August 21, 2020, 08:49:37 PM »
Expand Quote

58mm F4 Radial Full 99a
1/4” Riser
Swiss

[close]

What didn’t you like about the Winkowski? Also, Scrams are awesome, they always have such good shapes

I didn’t like how short the tail was. With that double kick (which I love about the old shape), it feels like you have nowhere to put your foot. I skate with my foot in the pocket so it wasn’t working for me. I also didn’t like how ‘popsicle’ it felt. I basically only skate shapes, but this felt like a shitty flat pop, until you look down or move your back foot. I don’t know, just couldn’t do it. Plus I’m obsessed with Scram shapes, so hard to get down in Aus but so worth it. This Spiff shape is AMAZING - changed to Ace 66 and I’m stoked.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1914 on: August 22, 2020, 05:51:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

58mm F4 Radial Full 99a
1/4” Riser
Swiss

[close]

[close]

I didn’t like how short the tail was. With that double kick (which I love about the old shape), it feels like you have nowhere to put your foot. I skate with my foot in the pocket so it wasn’t working for me. I also didn’t like how ‘popsicle’ it felt. I basically only skate shapes, but this felt like a shitty flat pop, until you look down or move your back foot. I don’t know, just couldn’t do it. Plus I’m obsessed with Scram shapes, so hard to get down in Aus but so worth it. This Spiff shape is AMAZING - changed to Ace 66 and I’m stoked.

I gotcha, that makes perfect sense. The flatness is the problem I had with the original Winkowski and I imagine I would really hate it on a shape closer to a popsicle. Incidentally, Super 8’s Elsa shape is similar in shape to the original Winkowski (both based on old Monty bolder shape iirc) but with specter concave and tail (though a slightly smaller nose).

Yeah, Scram makes super interesting stuff. I’ve loved all three that I’ve had and find that they seem to last forever. I don’t know what it is about Scrams, and maybe shaped decks in general, but I aways fall in love with the shape, skate it for a few weeks and then switch off to another shape, repeat. Eventually I end up with a stack of decks that I’ll just keep on regripping and skating until they are pretty much ground into dust. With popsicles I just seem to ride them all the way through in one month or so and then be done with it.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1915 on: August 22, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »

Has anyone skated this shape or any of the New deal reissues? I would like to replace my Zero deck with something kind of similar. I believe it is 9.5 x 32ish 14.1 wb
I saw that you guys like Scram but haven't found anything similar to what I want. The easier to flip the better, a sub 14.25 wb, combined with a fun shape is the goal.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:11:09 AM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1916 on: August 22, 2020, 09:21:34 AM »

Love that Prime S5 shape.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1917 on: August 22, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »

What's the WB on that? I love the looks of that.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1918 on: August 22, 2020, 10:02:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What's the WB on that? I love the looks of that.
Me too! Look at that rounded tail... Tre's and impossible's would be so nice I bet!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1919 on: August 22, 2020, 10:32:30 AM »
I just looked at that board like 10 minutes before Maccat's post. WB is short at 13.75" so I'm interested. Looks like a really fun shape.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.