Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 542297 times)

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3720 on: August 18, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »
Do you guys have any plans to restock the 10” shop decks? I check your site once or twice a month hoping to get one, but never anything more than a 9” available. Would love to try one out.

Those are south central made and for whatever reason they haven't made any more. With no ETA on more production.

Expand Quote
Shameless plug for my shop.
Try to order as many larger shaped decks as possible, lot's of rails too like lil jawns and others,
Also only US shop to get blast decks, still have some heroin decks from the last drop.
Free us shipping over $75 and we try to be pretty efficient with getting orders out.
www.35thave.com
[close]

Shameless question in response. How come 9"+ popsicles with 14-14.25" WB are so rare? Does this involve custom orders that increase cost, or is there an assumption that most people are buying wide boards for transition? I believe 9-9.25" popsicles with short WB and medium to high concave would sell well, but obv the sample size of people I have talked to is rather small.

I am seeing brands adapt to the larger board short wb but anything over 8.75 is very rare sub 14.5 wb
My theory is a handful of customers who prefer giant wb(15+) are so vocal that woodshops/brands think that is the normal dimension for that size.
Also brands try to make what the team rides and I don't see too many mainstream brands  with riders using 8.75+ size decks that aren't older and prefer larger wb.
NHS has the stumps boards because andrew cannon rides that size 8.8-9, Ron Whaley too and they bother prefer short wb.
DLX had a 8.75 14.25 wb pre covid that I tested and was told would be coming out but assuming wood shortages and such pushed that back.
I also see a mentality from most brands that can't relate to a 9+ popsicle because they live and skate in an area that rarely goes above 8.5.
I've also seen people sizing down quite a bit too and we are selling more 8-8.125 than before.
Brands like Heroin capitalize on that niche because they have riders who like and ride that stuff. As common as you might think larger decks are, the majority of ours are sold online and out of state.
I can't see larger decks with short wb over 8.5 being a huge movement any time soon.
The numbers just aren't quite apparent to the brands out there.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #3721 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16:55 PM »
Try to order as many larger shaped decks as possible, lot's of rails too like lil jawns and others,
Also only US shop to get blast decks, still have some heroin decks from the last drop.
Free us shipping over $75 and we try to be pretty efficient with getting orders out.
www.35thave.com

sick, i'm stoked you carry blast, thank you!!!!

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3722 on: August 18, 2021, 10:43:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
www.35thave.com
[close]

Shameless question in response. How come 9"+ popsicles with 14-14.25" WB are so rare? Does this involve custom orders that increase cost, or is there an assumption that most people are buying wide boards for transition? I believe 9-9.25" popsicles with short WB and medium to high concave would sell well, but obv the sample size of people I have talked to is rather small.
[close]

I am seeing brands adapt to the larger board short wb but anything over 8.75 is very rare sub 14.5 wb
My theory is a handful of customers who prefer giant wb(15+) are so vocal that woodshops/brands think that is the normal dimension for that size.
Also brands try to make what the team rides and I don't see too many mainstream brands  with riders using 8.75+ size decks that aren't older and prefer larger wb.
NHS has the stumps boards because andrew cannon rides that size 8.8-9, Ron Whaley too and they bother prefer short wb.
DLX had a 8.75 14.25 wb pre covid that I tested and was told would be coming out but assuming wood shortages and such pushed that back.
I also see a mentality from most brands that can't relate to a 9+ popsicle because they live and skate in an area that rarely goes above 8.5.
I've also seen people sizing down quite a bit too and we are selling more 8-8.125 than before.
Brands like Heroin capitalize on that niche because they have riders who like and ride that stuff. As common as you might think larger decks are, the majority of ours are sold online and out of state.
I can't see larger decks with short wb over 8.5 being a huge movement any time soon.

Thanks for the insights! I suppose I’ll just make a habit of stacking up boards when I find some I like. It’s been a bit of a struggle since the HLC 9" popsicle has been on a hiatus. It used to be the only 9" with short WB available in Germany for years.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #3723 on: August 19, 2021, 06:57:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Do you guys have any plans to restock the 10” shop decks? I check your site once or twice a month hoping to get one, but never anything more than a 9” available. Would love to try one out.

[close]
Those are south central made and for whatever reason they haven't made any more. With no ETA on more production.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
www.35thave.com
[close]

[close]

I’ve wondered if 9”+ popsicles aren’t coming from the same mold as big shapes and reissues. A 15” wheelbase with a 5” nose is still around 32” overall, but if you add a 7”+ nose it gets really long. 

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 109
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3724 on: August 19, 2021, 08:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
www.35thave.com
[close]

[close]

A couple of things: your shop is really rad; I've bookmarked it for when I actually "need" product. Second, I'm old/average height (43/5'11") and only skate tranny and I am always looking for a 15" wheelbase. I appreciate that the majority of the kids are riding much smaller wheelbases but it's never been a comfort zone for me. Just my two cents.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #3725 on: August 19, 2021, 01:47:59 PM »
What kinda trucks do you fatties prefer on the Cardiel 9.18 football shape???

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3726 on: August 19, 2021, 02:22:09 PM »

Favorite was Indy 159s. I've ran them with Ace 55s but they made it feel way harder to get off the ground.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3727 on: August 19, 2021, 02:31:14 PM »
God, I wanted the snelling deck so bad, but I'm traveling for work and wouldn't be able to receive it. Please continue to enjoy it on my behalf.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:41:52 PM by white guy in a durag »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3728 on: August 19, 2021, 03:36:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Favorite was Indy 159s. I've ran them with Ace 55s but they made it feel way harder to get off the ground.

Agreed. I like Ace so I have no choice but to use Classic 55s (or AF1 66s) but really an 8.75" axle truck will fit best on this deck. I'm hearing Ace might actually come out with one soon. I think they will work best on the long WB of these boards.

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3729 on: August 19, 2021, 04:55:47 PM »

Gonz SweatPants 9.81 x 32 x 14.38, mellow concave
ACe 55
Big wheels

I scored this on OfferUp =)

Nice pick-up.

Santa Cruz Speed wheels. I rode those from the late 80's and WELL into the 90's. Most comfy cruising wheels ever. I think the 97a's were supposed to be "vert" wheels, but that's soft by today's standards, and I bet they'd still do well on tranny.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3730 on: August 19, 2021, 05:26:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you for taking the time to explain things like that, which is very interesting overall (and something that I know some people / places would not be sharing so quickly) so it is much appreciated.

This would be good in the WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase) thread, but I would think enough people would read both.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #3731 on: August 19, 2021, 06:16:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agreed. I like Ace so I have no choice but to use Classic 55s (or AF1 66s) but really an 8.75" axle truck will fit best on this deck. I'm hearing Ace might actually come out with one soon. I think they will work best on the long WB of these boards.

I have a spare set of 159s so I’m going “success baby” on this until I actually try it out

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 890
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #3732 on: August 19, 2021, 09:21:21 PM »
www.35thave.com

Question, I’m looking at that blast 9.5 eggy shape. Anyone had that and have some dimensions on it?

Got a pair of ace AF1 77s and I’m looking for a new deck to pair it with and looking for a good fit.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3733 on: August 19, 2021, 11:12:22 PM »
Expand Quote
www.35thave.com
[close]

Question, I’m looking at that blast 9.5 eggy shape. Anyone had that and have some dimensions on it?

Got a pair of ace AF1 77s and I’m looking for a new deck to pair it with and looking for a good fit.

Mine is still on the way so I cannot provide measurements, however I am pretty sure 77s will stick out a bit according to the following post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3555318#msg3555318

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3734 on: August 20, 2021, 06:34:49 AM »
Yeah the af1 66’s are a better fit for the 9.5 egg. Something like the dead Dave 10 that has minimal taper would work much better for the 77

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 890
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #3735 on: August 20, 2021, 06:52:39 AM »
Those pics were helpful @listentoaheartbeat I may just get it anyways and switch out with the 169s I have on my cruiser or my classic 55s.

Yeah the af1 66’s are a better fit for the 9.5 egg. Something like the dead Dave 10 that has minimal taper would work much better for the 77

Hmmmm the Dead Dave does look nice, do you mean the video city deck?

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #3736 on: August 20, 2021, 07:24:40 AM »
Those pics were helpful @listentoaheartbeat I may just get it anyways and switch out with the 169s I have on my cruiser or my classic 55s.

Expand Quote
[close]

Hmmmm the Dead Dave does look nice, do you mean the video city deck?
yeah thats the one.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3737 on: August 20, 2021, 10:33:35 AM »

Yeah, I am going to use 169s, too.

Fhk

« Reply #3738 on: August 20, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »
Please someone remind me why we love these thing so much! I have been straying to smaller setups because my 9" pops really feel like they cut my sessions in half maybe because they take more effort for me to flip? It's not a matter of consistency(lack of on both) it's longevity. I'm bummed because I just set up a beauteous 9" bitch. I was just wondering if you guys ever go through this.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3739 on: August 21, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »
Posting a new, slightly scraped photo of my love seat

I expressed fears in my set up thread post that I would not get used to it, but I'm happy to report that I did actually grow to enjoy it. Flip tricks are still a little weird on it, but it's super carvey with the ventures because of the wheel base. It works well for my slappies, and is generally responsive, but I'm still not used to a board that I can just throw around without effort if that makes sense. I would definitely recommend this shape to someone who rides 8" boards, but is wide-curious.

I look forward to seeing how this shape compares to the surf jr, but I'll have to begin applying for a special permit to post an 8.75 in this thread. Covid has really slowed down the bureaucracy at SLAP, so it might be early 2022 before you get that post no one wanted or asked for.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3740 on: August 21, 2021, 03:43:38 PM »

Dane1
55 Classics
F4 99a Conical Full 55mm
Swiss
1/8” riser
Mikes Drumsticks

Forgot how fucking fun this shape was. Don’t know why I ever strayed. Shop didn’t have AF1 66 so settled for classics which I’m not mad at - don’t feel too different from the AF1 55s. If anything better.

That's a wicked setup. I have a Dane 1 on the go too, but I have 55mm Super Juice on it for cruising. Yours is making me want to try it with hard wheels again!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3741 on: August 21, 2021, 04:51:23 PM »

I look forward to seeing how this shape compares to the surf jr, but I'll have to begin applying for a special permit to post an 8.75 in this thread. Covid has really slowed down the bureaucracy at SLAP, so it might be early 2022 before you get that post no one wanted or asked for.

You can post them together, with a comparison, so it still fits within the 9+ requirements.

Always interesting to see and hear about different deck setups.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #3742 on: August 21, 2021, 05:51:18 PM »
Expand Quote

Dane1
55 Classics
F4 99a Conical Full 55mm
Swiss
1/8” riser
Mikes Drumsticks

Forgot how fucking fun this shape was. Don’t know why I ever strayed. Shop didn’t have AF1 66 so settled for classics which I’m not mad at - don’t feel too different from the AF1 55s. If anything better.
[close]

That's a wicked setup. I have a Dane 1 on the go too, but I have 55mm Super Juice on it for cruising. Yours is making me want to try it with hard wheels again!

I have a set of those ready to go at all times, I switch between the two depending. 10x more fun with those on.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #3743 on: August 21, 2021, 10:21:17 PM »
Primitive Villani 10.0 (9.5 at trucks), looks pretty symmetrical 14.5wb, 7.1 N/T
Thunder 161
Speedlab 58mm
Bronson ceramic

cartoon cover images

Slimmed down my 9.25 football to 8.38, was too narrow for my liking. Want to relearn some flip tricks, will have to make it work on a big board I suppose.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3744 on: August 22, 2021, 12:58:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You can post them together, with a comparison, so it still fits within the 9+ requirements.

Always interesting to see and hear about different deck setups.

I have an 8.8 passport that I posted on here, I figured it was okay because the rest of my setups are usually 9+

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3745 on: August 22, 2021, 09:14:39 AM »
Primitive Villani 10.0 (9.5 at trucks), looks pretty symmetrical 14.5wb, 7.1 N/T
Thunder 161
Speedlab 58mm
Bronson ceramic

cartoon cover images

Slimmed down my 9.25 football to 8.38, was too narrow for my liking. Want to relearn some flip tricks, will have to make it work on a big board I suppose.

nice villani 10" deck. Regret not getting it when it was on sale..do you think the curbkiller deck is the same as the villani 10" deck, dimension wise?

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3746 on: August 22, 2021, 10:09:16 AM »
Update on the Orange Eagle I’ve been skating for a little while now.

From the start anything where I was popping the board worked (despite the length), but it just wasn’t quite as satisfying. Kickflip we’re mobbed and I leveled them out but I began to miss the satisfying pop and flick from my previous, shorter, deck. Today I went from 50/51-ish classics to 54 radial slims, and then by chance popped from much more in the pocket than usual, and it was a eureka moment. Should have thought to just move my back foot in a bit to offset the length, but its not natural to me. Never really skated with my foot in the pocket (presumably always trying to find some extra space on shorter boards)

Lock-in on the curbs felt way better on the new wheels too.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3747 on: August 22, 2021, 06:07:25 PM »
Current setups

Heroin Mutant
215s w/ regular length kingpin baseplates and Bones hard bushings
54mm 99a F4 Classics

Heroin Curb Killer Very Big Egg
Ace AF1 77
Boardycakes 49.9mm 99.9a

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:05:54 PM by BMCsteve »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3748 on: August 22, 2021, 06:19:45 PM »
Sneak peak on Chico’s insta the other day, but he’s going to do his own brand (Chico Stix)?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3749 on: August 22, 2021, 11:55:27 PM »
Current setups

Heroin Mutant
215s w/ regular length kingpin baseplates and Bones hard bushings
54mm 99a F4 Classics

Heroin Curb Killer Very Big Egg
Ace AF1 77
Boardycakes 49.9mm 99.9a

The original Mutant looks so good. I had plenty of them, then they put the Dead Dave graphic on that shape, and eventhough I like Dead Dave a lot, the graphic isn't one of my favourites.
I wish they would reprint the original Mutant graphic in some different colors. Imagine a whole assorted set of colors for the mutant.