Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 542311 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1402
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4260 on: January 02, 2022, 05:50:23 PM »

first big one/cruiser I've ever set up

Anti Hero Ol' Yeller 9.95, 16" WB!!!! (thank you @shpongle)
Various pieces of tape, the cut out is from Solstice in New Bedford, MA
ACE 55
soft as fuck orange Acid wheels from some board I got at a 2nd hand shop (on a set of nice usa 149s)
Andale bearing that came with thrift shop wheels
Santa Cruz rails

over all, it's pretty fun to play with. I do think I wanna throw some hard wheels on. Not really stoked on the rails, but maybe I need a few sessions to figure out a different balancing act on my board slides.

I intentionally set this up with the softies so I wouldn't leave the ground, but soon found that I had to keep that front foot near the bolts for ollies and heel flips. I have a hard time skating without popping...

all told, after 90 minutes on this today and then switching back to my 8.5 with 159s and 56mm, it felt like I was riding a childs board!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Prostate Exam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4261 on: January 02, 2022, 11:58:34 PM »
I see lots of Ace trucks on the big boards in here and lately a lot of AF1. I am very hesitant on trying the AF1s but now, since my shop sold all the Classic 66s, I need to make the switch.
I used to ride the 66 Classics, so as far as I understand, I need to switch to the AF1 77s?

I am riding 10' boards and never had any trouble with the classics. Did anyone recently make the same change to their setup?

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #4262 on: January 03, 2022, 01:57:06 AM »

first big one/cruiser I've ever set up

Anti Hero Ol' Yeller 9.95, 16" WB!!!! (thank you @shpongle)
Various pieces of tape, the cut out is from Solstice in New Bedford, MA
ACE 55
soft as fuck orange Acid wheels from some board I got at a 2nd hand shop (on a set of nice usa 149s)
Andale bearing that came with thrift shop wheels
Santa Cruz rails

over all, it's pretty fun to play with. I do think I wanna throw some hard wheels on. Not really stoked on the rails, but maybe I need a few sessions to figure out a different balancing act on my board slides.

I intentionally set this up with the softies so I wouldn't leave the ground, but soon found that I had to keep that front foot near the bolts for ollies and heel flips. I have a hard time skating without popping...

all told, after 90 minutes on this today and then switching back to my 8.5 with 159s and 56mm, it felt like I was riding a childs board!

God damn this is so pretty.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4263 on: January 03, 2022, 03:33:23 AM »
I really hope Deluxe + Anti Hero continue to make Grosso decks, or at least some with his 9.25 shape with the squared off nose.

Fun shape but not hot on paying eBay prices.

I think there are more on the way, next drop or the one after that maybe.

The shape is too popular to let it go, not to mention the Grosso following and number of people who want to ride those boards I believe is more than the number of people who just buy them to keep them or sell them on, but that Grosso board in that shape has always been one of the quickest sellers, even before the last few years.

The other one that is maybe the closest in dimensions and same concave (BBS wood) is the Lucero Bars graphic, even though some might say it is not, I have one of each and they do feel about the same to skate with the front truck in the longer wheelbase position.

I actually think the Lucero is more comfortable as it doesn't taper as much towards the back, but that is just me.

Obviously more than a few small differences, but I know there are still more Lucero decks around and available at normal board prices too, not crazy ebay special prices, as said, which I could never justify, but people do pay upwards of two to three times RRP as the hype is still high.

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/

After saying that, I don't see any Lucero Bars on the shop site, but there are quite a few other big boards that are well worth a look, the Nash being my pick for what is there right now:

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/product/eric-nash-darkhorse-bright-orange-stain

Eric Nash "DARKHORSE"
9.25" x 32.5" 15"WB
Bright Orange Stain
$64.95

animalflesh

« Reply #4264 on: January 04, 2022, 06:23:34 AM »
Back on this

I love skating fishtail boards in the street

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4265 on: January 05, 2022, 04:32:57 PM »
What shapes do you all like for big concrete transition? Best I can really do is some 5050s and standup grinds, some frontside ollies, etc and I was thinking my big krooked gonz sweatpants (90s shape like the dane) with 169s would help but it appears to not be giving me any better lock-in. Are the huffer or phawt shapes fun for transition, or would the square-er tail of the 90s shapes be better?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4266 on: January 05, 2022, 04:55:40 PM »
What shapes do you all like for big concrete transition? Best I can really do is some 5050s and standup grinds, some frontside ollies, etc and I was thinking my big krooked gonz sweatpants (90s shape like the dane) with 169s would help but it appears to not be giving me any better lock-in. Are the huffer or phawt shapes fun for transition, or would the square-er tail of the 90s shapes be better?

I would be inclined to say any board with a longer wheelbase is usually better on big transition of any surface, be it bowl, ramp or whatever, as you are usually going at faster speeds so having a wider and lower stance makes skating it a bit easier for most normal people, even if it is only slightly longer (like the huffer / phawt) at 14.75 but others often go for the 15" as a solid ride too, most common on some of the bigger boards from "all rounder" type companies (Antihero, Black Label), with not so many options the companies that focus more on street / curb skating in that range.  That is not to say that there aren't good boards (with longer wheelbases) from those companies too, but there might not be quite so many.

As to tail shape, it is down to what you feel more comfortable on, as some people will prefer a popsicle or rounded tail and others will prefer as much board under their feet as they can get, both options working very well for those who are more used to it, along with the other way round being quite weird or uncomfortable if you are not used to it.  Getting used to some of the tails on Santa Cruz reissues, or even on a Black Label Auby 80s shaped deck was a struggle for me, but a more mellow square tail on other boards from Black Label or Antihero were easy to get used to.

The only thing I would add (not deck related) is bigger wheels, 58 to 60 mm being way easier on big stuff too, which help with the lock in factor.  That is not to say that smaller wheels are no good, but for me, something around a 56 mm is good for everything too.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4267 on: January 05, 2022, 07:11:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would be inclined to say any board with a longer wheelbase is usually better on big transition of any surface, be it bowl, ramp or whatever, as you are usually going at faster speeds so having a wider and lower stance makes skating it a bit easier for most normal people, even if it is only slightly longer (like the huffer / phawt) at 14.75 but others often go for the 15" as a solid ride too, most common on some of the bigger boards from "all rounder" type companies (Antihero, Black Label), with not so many options the companies that focus more on street / curb skating in that range.  That is not to say that there aren't good boards (with longer wheelbases) from those companies too, but there might not be quite so many.

As to tail shape, it is down to what you feel more comfortable on, as some people will prefer a popsicle or rounded tail and others will prefer as much board under their feet as they can get, both options working very well for those who are more used to it, along with the other way round being quite weird or uncomfortable if you are not used to it.  Getting used to some of the tails on Santa Cruz reissues, or even on a Black Label Auby 80s shaped deck was a struggle for me, but a more mellow square tail on other boards from Black Label or Antihero were easy to get used to.

The only thing I would add (not deck related) is bigger wheels, 58 to 60 mm being way easier on big stuff too, which help with the lock in factor.  That is not to say that smaller wheels are no good, but for me, something around a 56 mm is good for everything too.

Yeah, i'm always in the big wheels big wheelbase club when skating this stuff. Honestly it feels like the big wheels help me much more than the extra grindroom on the trucks or space on the board

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #4268 on: January 05, 2022, 11:40:56 PM »

I pretty much only skate transition, everything from mini ramps and bowls up to vert ramps. My main board is a 9” popsicle with 15” wheelbase and 58mm wheels. I have size 12 feet so 9” is the perfect width. I can skate any transition well on this setup.

I want to like shaped decks, but I feel like they always make some things easier and other things harder. For example, square tails make frontside grinds easier but backside 5-0s harder for me.

I have two huffers because Cardiel is the best, not because I like the shape. One is a cruiser and the other has some big 95a wheels that I use for indoor or slippery parks. It’s fine for smaller transition, but the taper in the front makes it a little narrow for big transition. My toes end up hanging over because of the taper and that’s sketchy on big stuff. I have this problem on pretty much every shaped deck. You might not have that problem if your foot isn’t huge like mine. The 14.75” wheelbase is good enough for big transition, but I wouldn’t go any shorter. 15” wheelbase is my preference once the transition gets to be 9’ and up.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4269 on: January 06, 2022, 07:28:37 AM »
Cross post with the set up thread……

Just cos I really wanted one in 1990 (or 91?)

Dressen eyes slick 9.3 14.25
Ace classic 55
Bones fatties 56 ( prob 54 now)

Passenger house slippers ( best Xmas present from
My wife! )

(Re)Tired 9.25 - fun but found the concave a bit steep

Stoked to try a slick finally, I dipped out of skating for a couple of years when they were around the first time. Heard these new ones are better anyway. I shared one of the roses dressen decks which is the same shape and liked it.

Shame it’s gonna rain for a week now!  :'(

I’ll add the the dressen shape is fun on transition, the Dane 1 can feel squirrelly cos the wheelbase is short but to be honest I wouldn’t say anything is “best”. A slightly longer wheelbase can help though.

The shapes are fun to skate but often feel a little heavier to manouver than a popsicle. I skate mini and curbs a lot and shift between a 9.25 - 9.75 shape - (something early 90s like cos that’s when I grew up) & something 8.75 ish and either popsicle or close to that.

As above some things are harder on a bigger board but mostly it’s often my mood!

Jory4

« Reply #4270 on: January 06, 2022, 07:32:22 AM »

I’ll add that this “into the wild” jeremie daclin shape is 9 wide with a 14.5 or 14.25 wb and I really enjoyed it over the summer. They do the same couple of shapes with different graphics in limited runs. Might well go for another next time!

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4271 on: January 06, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I pretty much only skate transition, everything from mini ramps and bowls up to vert ramps. My main board is a 9” popsicle with 15” wheelbase and 58mm wheels. I have size 12 feet so 9” is the perfect width. I can skate any transition well on this setup.

I want to like shaped decks, but I feel like they always make some things easier and other things harder. For example, square tails make frontside grinds easier but backside 5-0s harder for me.

I have two huffers because Cardiel is the best, not because I like the shape. One is a cruiser and the other has some big 95a wheels that I use for indoor or slippery parks. It’s fine for smaller transition, but the taper in the front makes it a little narrow for big transition. My toes end up hanging over because of the taper and that’s sketchy on big stuff. I have this problem on pretty much every shaped deck. You might not have that problem if your foot isn’t huge like mine. The 14.75” wheelbase is good enough for big transition, but I wouldn’t go any shorter. 15” wheelbase is my preference once the transition gets to be 9’ and up.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was wondering. My feet are very wide but still around a 10 in length, so I do end up having this problem and haven't previously been able to figure out if it's just mental or not. This helps a lot with figuring it out. I had this problem on a punk point that I desperately wanted to love but tapered way too aggresively at the tail.

Surprisingly, my favorite transition deck so far has been an 8.5 AWS because the absolutely gigantic tail, so possibly i'll look for a bigger popsicle in that shape or stick with the squarer tails from the two most recent posts. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any secret egg fun.

Also @Jory I definitely back the slicks. I've had so much fun with the krooked slick (which is much smaller) so I can't even begin to imagine the fun you could have on that dressen.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4272 on: January 06, 2022, 08:43:13 AM »

I’ll add that this “into the wild” jeremie daclin shape is 9 wide with a 14.5 or 14.25 wb and I really enjoyed it over the summer. They do the same couple of shapes with different graphics in limited runs. Might well go for another next time!

Is this closer to the grosso shape or the dane? Cool looking shape

Fhk

« Reply #4273 on: January 06, 2022, 09:03:14 AM »

This is a great picture @Jory4 and +1 on the dressen slick. I absolutely love mine.

Jory4

« Reply #4274 on: January 06, 2022, 09:40:06 AM »

This is a great picture @Jory4 and +1 on the dressen slick. I absolutely love mine.

Thanks man!

Expand Quote

[close]

Closer to the Grosso although it’s even closer to a polar 92, really similar just a hair less wide / less curve. I really liked it / preferred it to the 92 I had.

The dressen is closer to the Dane but slightly less wide slightly longer nose. The Dane 1 is an awesome fun shape and really nimble for its size

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4275 on: January 06, 2022, 06:35:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks man!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Closer to the Grosso although it’s even closer to a polar 92, really similar just a hair less wide / less curve. I really liked it / preferred it to the 92 I had.

The dressen is closer to the Dane but slightly less wide slightly longer nose. The Dane 1 is an awesome fun shape and really nimble for its size

Looked into this company and they have some sick shapes in general. Definitely happy to know about them, because that's a cool shape

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4276 on: January 07, 2022, 03:10:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks man!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Looked into this company and they have some sick shapes in general. Definitely happy to know about them, because that's a cool shape

I'm liking the shape also, reminds me of the boards around in 90/91.  The squared off tail appeals to me.
Where did you get it from and is there another from this company with the same shape and different graphic?  I've searched for this Blender tribute model but can't find one for sale anywhere.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4277 on: January 07, 2022, 03:33:38 AM »

I'm liking the shape also, reminds me of the boards around in 90/91.  The squared off tail appeals to me.
Where did you get it from and is there another from this company with the same shape and different graphic?  I've searched for this Blender tribute model but can't find one for sale anywhere.

They are something of a scarcity, being just a small operation and mostly only in and around UK / EU from what I have seen when I look at shops, mostly sold out as well, but there are still some around.

Average around 9" wide, 14.5 / 15.0" wb options, Dwindle wood (so very solid and stiff)

Most recent posts, the second pink one that Jeremie says they are available from filmtrucks.fr site, so you could check that out and see if it is worth it:

https://filmtrucks.fr/collections/into-the-wild

* and here:

https://www.sluggerskatestore.co.uk/collections/into-the-wild/products/into-the-wild-pontus-alv-skateboard-deck-9-00

Jory4

« Reply #4278 on: January 07, 2022, 05:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks man!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

They are a small operation. The blender tribute one I actually ordered from a French shop - they were hard to get hold of and were quite limited I think. There was a cool grosso coke graphic tribute before the blender.

The latest graphic is for the guy that started Etnies ( French freestyler!)

It’s a side project for Jeremie daclin alongside film trucks. He has a skate shop called the wall I think. I would message or comment on their Instagram, he’s pretty good at replying.

Seems like they have distribution into the uk now, dunno about the US

Wood is good. Nice and stiff, wb on mine was 14.25 or 14.75 I think.

Polar 92 is similar but wider.

That tired in the set up thread ( yours?!) is close too. I too found the tired concave a bit too steep for
My liking. The blender is a more medium concave

Jory4

« Reply #4279 on: January 07, 2022, 05:07:52 AM »
Would have loved to have this one!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4280 on: January 07, 2022, 01:23:53 PM »
Current rotation of Phawt/ Huffers

1) with franken Indy (Stage 11 159 hangers and Stage 8 baseplates with Krux hollow KP), 97a F4s. Universal Real wooden risers.
2) With Classic Ace 55s and 58mm (now about 54mm) Classic F4 99s. Venture Real wooden risers shaved to fit.
3) with AF1 66s and 58m F4 99s. Ace risers.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4281 on: January 07, 2022, 01:51:31 PM »
Would have loved to have this one!

That graphic never ceases to amaze me and always looks good, in any form or twist, such as this one.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #4282 on: January 12, 2022, 05:15:09 PM »

Heroin 9.25”
Indy Ti 169s with Riptides
Loophole 56 mm
Mob
Swiss

Biggest popsicle shape I’ve skated.  I’ll probably go back to the Dane 1 zone afterwards but I wanted to switch it up for a bit and keep riding the same wheel/truck combination. 

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #4283 on: January 13, 2022, 10:25:38 AM »
Anyone else eager to set one of these Chico stix Big Boys up? https://www.chicostix.com/products/speedy-the-original-big-boy-9

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #4284 on: January 13, 2022, 10:53:48 AM »
14" WB looks good. But I have a pile I need to work through before I buy any more boards.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
« Reply #4285 on: January 13, 2022, 10:58:18 AM »
Anyone else eager to set one of these Chico stix Big Boys up? https://www.chicostix.com/products/speedy-the-original-big-boy-9
Ran into Chico at the park over the weekend and he let me take the 9 for a spin. Wicked fun, would recommend. Apparently it's the same shape as his Krooked guest model
http://www.35thave.com/shop/c/p/Krooked-Chico-Brenes-Guest-shape-9-x-323-x43223988.htm

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4286 on: January 13, 2022, 11:33:03 AM »
First Chico stick
Big boy 9
Indy 159 w/ krux downlow and supercush 94
Spitfire f4 og classic 54 99
Bronson ceramics
Jessup
Bender Allen 1”
Dngr rails

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4287 on: January 13, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »
First Chico stick
Big boy 9
Indy 159 w/ krux downlow and supercush 94
Spitfire f4 og classic 54 99
Bronson ceramics
Jessup
Bender Allen 1”
Dngr rails

Would 169s be too wide for this? Those are the only big truck I have but this shape is AWESOME

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4288 on: January 13, 2022, 12:03:44 PM »
Might be a little big but give it a shot!

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4289 on: January 13, 2022, 12:12:18 PM »
Might be a little big but give it a shot!

I might just finally give in and get 159s at this point. Feels like all the good shapes work better with them!