Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 542324 times)

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5670 on: August 02, 2023, 08:25:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Thats a beautiful board my dude! Major props
[close]
Thanks!

Expand Quote
Hol’ up, hol’ up, hol’ up! You’re running  2 top bushings? Any wheelbite on them 55’s?  What is it doing for feel & turn?
[close]

Alright... It was a gradual process to get to this point hahaha...
  • Iteration 1: stock AF1 top / bottom with the bottom trimmed to 12mm to match the top (both with washers). This gave me the tension I wanted out of the trucks with still getting full contact with the nut on the kingpin. This also got rid of the top washer "click" you get from AF1's since it slightly changed the geometry.
  • Iteration 2: stock AF1 tops as top / bottom (both with washers). This kept the tension of the 1st iteration but gave a bit more of a surfy turn from running duel conical shape bushings since you get more give from the conical shape than you do from the cylinder shape.
  • Iteration 3: stock AF1 top / stock Classic top as bottom (top washer only). A friend sent me the Classic tops with no washers and I put them on to see if the slightly different shape would offer any difference in feel since the Classic has a less harsh taper to the shape of the bushing. Since the bottom wishers are gone, they're a bit looser... but since the bottom tapers less it mushes out less. It took me about 2 sessions to fully acclimate, but for some bizarre reason, it made some tricks feel way more fluid for me (especially front rocks).
Do I get wheel bite? Yes... But I'm so much more comfortable with the setup and I have no plans to change anything. The only thing that I did change is running my front truck closer to even tension with the rear. I always ran my front a half turn looser than my rear, but I feel like with the current bushing setup I was too close to full-on e brake wheel bite if I came out of some trucks with too much weight on my front foot. It's a solid setup for skating bowls, but I skated a vert ramp for the first time in a while this past weekend and the setup worked out way better than I thought it would.

Ronnie Sandoval is running a similar setup, but it's conceptually more wild (Ace Classic's which are 1mm lower than AF1's, a Classic top bushing with no washer as a bottom, and a Thunder top bushing which is 10mm so he has 2mm more wiggle room). 

🤯

I’m actually looking at going to ace hards or riding Indy’s due to the vague center on Classics. Feel is so subjective!

Of course, most of my gear “woes” have to do with gaining 20lbs this year - my muscle memory is off and I’m trying to fix it in my setup. I’ve tried everything but diet and exercise

Samsquantch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #5671 on: August 02, 2023, 09:28:28 AM »
Y'all are wild with your wiggly trucks, can't imagine... props for making it work for you!

I'm over here with my Ace hards and Indy blacks, way too scared of wheelbite carving out of a tight corner in the bowl or something... I also hate that wobble when you compress at the bottom of the transition with loose trucks. Probably just need to get better at skating.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5672 on: August 02, 2023, 10:30:05 AM »
I’m actually looking at going to ace hards or riding Indy’s due to the vague center on Classics. Feel is so subjective!

Of course, most of my gear “woes” have to do with gaining 20lbs this year - my muscle memory is off and I’m trying to fix it in my setup. I’ve tried everything but diet and exercise

Y'all are wild with your wiggly trucks, can't imagine... props for making it work for you!

I'm over here with my Ace hards and Indy blacks, way too scared of wheelbite carving out of a tight corner in the bowl or something... I also hate that wobble when you compress at the bottom of the transition with loose trucks. Probably just need to get better at skating.

I'm around 140 lbs at the moment, am on the shorter side at 5' 6", and have permanent nerve damage in my legs and feet from an old back injury and I've found that the looser trucks make my board feel like it responds a bit more intuitively. I would guess the added twitchiness compensates for my legs firing a bit slower. I also feel like the wheel bonk on coping for stuff like lien tails and the pinch for grinds locks in a bit better for me. It's 100% subjective and needs to be fine-tuned to your build, what you skate, and your trick selection. I'm just stoked that after 2 years of full-blown setup madness that I cracked the code on what works best for me lol
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

Samsquantch

« Reply #5673 on: August 02, 2023, 10:52:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

I'm around 140 lbs at the moment, am on the shorter side at 5' 6", and have permanent nerve damage in my legs and feet from an old back injury and I've found that the looser trucks make my board feel like it responds a bit more intuitively. I would guess the added twitchiness compensates for my legs firing a bit slower. I also feel like the wheel bonk on coping for stuff like lien tails and the pinch for grinds locks in a bit better for me. It's 100% subjective and needs to be fine-tuned to your build, what you skate, and your trick selection. I'm just stoked that after 2 years of full-blown setup madness that I cracked the code on what works best for me lol

That makes a lot if sense, and is an important distinction. Weight and physical proportions would have a huge affect on how trucks react. I'm excessively tall and weigh 70lbs more with huge feet, I'm probably putting double the force to the rails when I dig in.

I tried a dudes board a while ago, he was 5'5", 120lbs and was on an 8" Indy standard 139 with no washers. Absolute ripper. I struggled to push his board in a straight line...

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #5674 on: August 02, 2023, 11:31:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That makes a lot if sense, and is an important distinction. Weight and physical proportions would have a huge affect on how trucks react. I'm excessively tall and weigh 70lbs more with huge feet, I'm probably putting double the force to the rails when I dig in.

I tried a dudes board a while ago, he was 5'5", 120lbs and was on an 8" Indy standard 139 with no washers. Absolute ripper. I struggled to push his board in a straight line...

A lot of friends think my trucks are on the *tight side. But I’m 210 so when I lean, those fuckers turn.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 12:16:40 PM by WelcomeToHell »

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5675 on: August 02, 2023, 12:02:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm big board curious. Don't skate a whole bunch anymore, I want to have something to roll about on at the beach front, Ollie's, no complys, curbs (Ray Barbee/Rubber boys) . I've got a regular 8.5" setup so can go wild.

Would an 80s no nose be a terrible idea? Love to hear some suggestions.
[close]

Anti-Hero Yellow Eagle - Beach Bum shape
Polar Dane 1 Shape
Krooked Sweatpants Shape

Any of those decks with a softer wheel like a Bones Dragon 93a would make for a fun cruiser/curb/fuck around board
[close]
Thanks been looking at Dane 1s for years.
[close]

Dane1's have a small wheelbase, so if that's not your cup of tea, I would recommend the Krooked Sweatpants shape (posted above on this page). The shape is similair, but the wheelbase is 14.38 compared to the new 14.1 wb of the Dane1. The old Dane decks are really similair though. Currently riding the Ronnie Sandoval graphic and I like it so far, although it feels a bit small compared to the 10" Heroin Mutants I've been riding before this.
[close]

A few pages back I think someone mentioned the new Dane1 decks are being bumped up to a 14.38”wb which will make it the same as the Krooked shape.

Thanks both

Samsquantch

« Reply #5676 on: August 02, 2023, 12:12:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

A lot of friends think my trucks are on the right side. But I’m 210 so when I lean, those fuckers turn.

Even with new Indy black bushings (which are softening up) my trucks still turn as tight as I need them to without having to dig in too hard. I'm also finding it easier to carry more speed in transition then when I was on stock bushings.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #5677 on: August 02, 2023, 02:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

A lot of friends think my trucks are on the right side. But I’m 210 so when I lean, those fuckers turn.
[close]

Even with new Indy black bushings (which are softening up) my trucks still turn as tight as I need them to without having to dig in too hard. I'm also finding it easier to carry more speed in transition then when I was on stock bushings.

i'm the opposite. i'm a fatass but i think most people's boards turn like shit. i don't like having to dig in at all. i wanna turn just moving a toe.
tho it's definitly not the best for me to ride as loose. but it is the most fun for me.

beandemon

« Reply #5678 on: August 02, 2023, 04:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i'm the opposite. i'm a fatass but i think most people's boards turn like shit. i don't like having to dig in at all. i wanna turn just moving a toe.
tho it's definitly not the best for me to ride as loose. but it is the most fun for me.
Stoked you found a recipe that works for you, @sbr!

I’m currently over 2 bills and read that little wobble samsquantch refers to as making my setup feel dead. I get it carving into slappies, too. I like to feel a little feedback; flex in my deck and rebound in my cushions. I still like to turn, and keep things pretty loose, but dislike the feeling of no resistance before hitting the bushings. Even laying on the couch I can still feel that flexy, carve-y, pump- like feeling of the hard frontside pre-carve you had to do at my old favorite curb with a weird approach angle. Followed by the impact of the trucks bashing the curb, the sound and feel of a nice fs double-trucker, and the satisfaction of rolling away.

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 41
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #5679 on: August 03, 2023, 04:12:10 AM »
Cross-poast from the SetUp thread...

Heroin 'Curb Crusher'
Jessup & Mob grip
Ace AF1 66
Quantum Ceramics
Powell 'Dragons' 60mm x 40mm
Bluetile hardware

https://ibb.co/kcbYBPg

https://ibb.co/5jnqWfg
AW YEAH

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #5680 on: August 03, 2023, 07:01:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm big board curious. Don't skate a whole bunch anymore, I want to have something to roll about on at the beach front, Ollie's, no complys, curbs (Ray Barbee/Rubber boys) . I've got a regular 8.5" setup so can go wild.

[close]

Polar Dane 1 Shape
Krooked Sweatpants Shape

Any of those decks with a softer wheel like a Bones Dragon 93a would make for a fun cruiser/curb/fuck around board
[close]
[close]

Dane1's have a small wheelbase, so if that's not your cup of tea, I would recommend the Krooked Sweatpants shape (posted above on this page). The shape is similair, but the wheelbase is 14.38 compared to the new 14.1 wb of the Dane1. The old Dane decks are really similair though. Currently riding the Ronnie Sandoval graphic and I like it so far, although it feels a bit small compared to the 10" Heroin Mutants I've been riding before this.
[close]

A few pages back I think someone mentioned the new Dane1 decks are being bumped up to a 14.38”wb which will make it the same as the Krooked shape.

Yeah, you're right. I mixed them up and thought it became smaller.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

beandemon

« Reply #5681 on: August 04, 2023, 09:47:12 AM »
Cross post from egg thread:

Anybody know how wide the black label tugboat is over the trucks?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5682 on: August 04, 2023, 10:26:40 AM »
Cross post from egg thread:

Anybody know how wide the black label tugboat is over the trucks?
I measured it with an online measurement tool and got exactly 9" over the back bolts
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5683 on: August 08, 2023, 02:15:45 PM »
At that point where it was time to replace almost everything, which hasn't happened to me in forever.

Heroin Eric Dressen Guest Board 9.75" x 32.5" with 14.25" wheelbase
Independent Stage 11 159 hollow hanger with standard baseplate
Spitfire Classics 52mm 99a
Bones Swiss Six
MOB
1" hardware

Trucks are definitely too small (width across bolt holes measure about 9") but it was all I had at the moment, so I'm going to run with it today and most likely going to swap them out for Thunder Hollow Lights 161s when I get home. But hey, maybe it'll work out.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #5684 on: August 08, 2023, 04:25:52 PM »
At that point where it was time to replace almost everything, which hasn't happened to me in forever.

Bones Swiss Six
MOB
1" hardware

Trucks are definitely too small (width across bolt holes measure about 9") but it was all I had at the moment, so I'm going to run with it today and most likely going to swap them out for Thunder Hollow Lights 161s when I get home. But hey, maybe it'll work out.

Sick! Nice colour coordination with the wheels there. Been running a similar magic carpet situation with my 9.5 egg and 151 and classics, been really enjoying it, makes its feel a little more sprightly and relatively chill to flip.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5685 on: August 08, 2023, 07:15:04 PM »

Bones Swiss Six
MOB
1" hardware

early OG Plan B grip style.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5686 on: August 14, 2023, 05:11:48 PM »
I'm curious to try a true "pig" shaped deck that's a 10-incher with the classic no nose and little to no concave. I can't really afford to get trucks as well though, and I currently have Indy 159's. Anyone with experience on that type of shape know if they'll magic carpet way too much in the back? Seems like the front it would be fine.

animalflesh

« Reply #5687 on: August 14, 2023, 05:44:53 PM »
I'm curious to try a true "pig" shaped deck that's a 10-incher with the classic no nose and little to no concave. I can't really afford to get trucks as well though, and I currently have Indy 159's. Anyone with experience on that type of shape know if they'll magic carpet way too much in the back? Seems like the front it would be fine.

Depends on the wheels, maybe

If you have big 60mm 80s single conicals it’ll be fine for the 10x30

logjammin

« Reply #5688 on: August 14, 2023, 06:10:02 PM »
I do have bigger 57mm-60mm wheels in the 39mm-43mm width range. Only a couple have an offset bearing seat while the widest ones are centered seats.

Ant

« Reply #5689 on: August 15, 2023, 12:45:26 AM »
Got a Dane 1 and some ACE.AF1 55s. Trucks look super narrow to my eye. Tried all sorts of wheels and short of going 60mm offset, I feel like Aladdin.

Also despite all the websites saying the wheelbase had got longer it's still 14.125 on the sticker.

Ant

« Reply #5690 on: August 15, 2023, 02:28:40 AM »
This is the way. 60mm Winowski's no risers. Might go 55mm shortly to try out.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #5691 on: August 15, 2023, 07:51:26 AM »

I do 169 Indy on my Dane 1 and I feel like it is the perfect truck for it. For Ace I would go Classic 66.

I run 3 mm riser and 56 mm Dragons and it’s such a fun all around set up minus flip tricks which I have retired from.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #5692 on: August 15, 2023, 09:37:00 AM »

they generally taper to a 9" tail. so theyre not crazy wide over the back truck.
back then trucks wern't as wide either. they used to run pretty small trucks with some mini cubics or whatever on em since those weels are offset as hell.

but, if youre looking at a powell pig be warned they use the oldschool bolt patern, so you'd need 6 hole baseplates.
anyo ther brand should be fine.

Ant

« Reply #5693 on: August 15, 2023, 10:08:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do 169 Indy on my Dane 1 and I feel like it is the perfect truck for it. For Ace I would go Classic 66.

I run 3 mm riser and 56 mm Dragons and it’s such a fun all around set up minus flip tricks which I have retired from.

Interesting thanks. I think if I had my time again I'd go classic 55s or AF1 66s. Liking the route this has sent me down with the wide wheels though, I have no intention of doing flip tricks. Happy to just zoom around, Ollie's, no complys etc.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #5694 on: August 15, 2023, 10:35:03 AM »
Crosspost from the set up thread

Real Tommy Guerrero 9.2” x 31.875” with a 14” wb
Film 165’s no washers cut bushings
Spitfire f4 56mm 99a classics
Bronson G3’s
Spa Gear 7/8” allen hardware
Mob (no comply was outta pepper)

Shoes: puma smash
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5695 on: August 15, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »
Crosspost from the set up thread

Expand Quote

Real Tommy Guerrero 9.2” x 31.875” with a 14” wb
Film 165’s no washers cut bushings
Spitfire f4 56mm 99a classics
Bronson G3’s
Spa Gear 7/8” allen hardware
Mob (no comply was outta pepper)

Shoes: puma smash
[close]

Unrelated to your (which looks fun), how are those puma's? I see that model on sale a lot and it looks like it would skate good.

logjammin

« Reply #5696 on: August 15, 2023, 05:24:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they generally taper to a 9" tail. so theyre not crazy wide over the back truck.
back then trucks wern't as wide either. they used to run pretty small trucks with some mini cubics or whatever on em since those weels are offset as hell.

but, if youre looking at a powell pig be warned they use the oldschool bolt patern, so you'd need 6 hole baseplates.

It's a Scram and I went and got it from the local today and ended up fucking hating it. Since it's so flat even with 1/4" risers the wheelbite is so bad it tossed me multiple times and then one time when I went to ollie my foot just slid right off the board and I almost credit carded myself. I barely lasted a session with it. Sometimes madness pays off when you wanna try something new, other times it doesn't.

animalflesh

« Reply #5697 on: August 15, 2023, 05:47:52 PM »
Pigs take getting used to you’re supposed to skate more crouched on a pig

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #5698 on: August 15, 2023, 05:51:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Polar Dane 1 Shape
Krooked Sweatpants Shape

[close]
Big fan of the shape, rode many. Nimble with the short wheelbase. I like pop shoves with the square tail, definitely has an even pop for other flips.

I don’t nollie anything so I’m not concerned with the short nose. Locks noseslides with ease…there’s a reason this shape has been around a bit.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #5699 on: August 15, 2023, 08:16:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's a Scram and I went and got it from the local today and ended up fucking hating it. Since it's so flat even with 1/4" risers the wheelbite is so bad it tossed me multiple times and then one time when I went to ollie my foot just slid right off the board and I almost credit carded myself. I barely lasted a session with it. Sometimes madness pays off when you wanna try something new, other times it doesn't.

Scram pig you say? Are you in the states? Hate it enough to get rid of it? If they’re all yes, shoot me a message.