Author Topic: RIP Muni?  (Read 13685 times)

wildbillhiccup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
  • JACKASS
Re: RIP Muni?
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2023, 07:26:43 AM »
Shidova

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2023, 07:40:33 AM »
dc doesn't have the money like they used to like when they offered a mil or something to save love, but muni has obviously been the heart of philly street skating in recent years, and (only guessing here) by extension a big contributor to dc's sales. you'd think they'd at the very least pay some respect to muni bring some awareness to it being torn down in a hard post on their IG or something. but nope, nothing.

They would have the money if they weren’t such assholes and re-released the Rick 1s.   

dj nipslip

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2023, 08:20:09 AM »
They would have the money if they weren’t such assholes and re-released the Rick 1s.

DC wants to, rick doesn't.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 329
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2023, 12:29:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
some strange takes in here.....the ice tea and hoagie you bought at wawa is not "tourism dollars"
[close]
much less "millions of tourist dollars"
Skaters coming to the city are crashing on friends' floors, not getting a room at the 4 Seasons (or even holiday inn)
[close]

How about the people that have gone to further their education there or moved there because of skateboarding? They count more to the city bottom line than "tourism dollars".
[close]

Sadly I think this is a much smaller group than you're imagining
[close]

Considering Matt Reason & five of his skate friends moved to Philly to go to college back when nobody even heard of Love Park and they had ads in Thrasher that said "Philadelphia" and a phone number for Tyler School of Art, Franklin Paine skatepark org guy moved Philly cuz of skateboarding. Suicu move there to go to Temple. I think you'd be surprised the amount of people. Are you from Philly?
[close]
So, 7 people over a span of 30 years?
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
some strange takes in here.....the ice tea and hoagie you bought at wawa is not "tourism dollars"
[close]
Skaters coming to the city are crashing on friends' floors, not getting a room at the 4 Seasons (or even holiday inn)
[close]

How about the people that have gone to further their education there or moved there because of skateboarding? They count more to the city bottom line than "tourism dollars".
[close]

[close]

Considering Matt Reason & five of his skate friends moved to Philly to go to college back when nobody even heard of Love Park and they had ads in Thrasher that said "Philadelphia" and a phone number for Tyler School of Art, Franklin Paine skatepark org guy moved Philly cuz of skateboarding. Suicu move there to go to Temple. I think you'd be surprised the amount of people. Are you from Philly?
[close]
[close]
You guys I'm sure know about marketing: If Matt and 5 of his friends move to Philly because of Love when it wasn't a thing, how many people do you think moved there when it was a thing? Are you going to argue that people didn't move to SF when EMB was a thing? Believe it or not, people move places because of the skate scene. Some are college students, some are young professionals. Some are even skateboarding professionals. They add to the bottom line certainly more than "...ice tea and hoagies at Wawa." Again, are you from Philly?"

Wawa hoagies definitely caught my attention on one of my early visits but since I've been back I've found that they're ass compared to most local delis. Also what's this about ice tea give me some ice tea spots to check out next time I'm back

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2023, 08:45:52 PM »
Saw a bunch of Philly skaters making RIP Muni posts today as the final two remaining benches got removed. They definitely made the most out of Muni's last days.

Septa Bus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2023, 03:51:22 AM »
they should rip out paines next

fuck that downhill shitpark
Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

theextrabanana

• Rep: -134
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2023, 05:52:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
You guys I'm sure know about marketing: If Matt and 5 of his friends move to Philly because of Love when it wasn't a thing, how many people do you think moved there when it was a thing? Are you going to argue that people didn't move to SF when EMB was a thing? Believe it or not, people move places because of the skate scene. Some are college students, some are young professionals. Some are even skateboarding professionals. They add to the bottom line certainly more than "...ice tea and hoagies at Wawa." Again, are you from Philly?"
[close]

Wawa hoagies definitely caught my attention on one of my early visits but since I've been back I've found that they're ass compared to most local delis. Also what's this about ice tea give me some ice tea spots to check out next time I'm back

You’re about 20 years late on this but I’d suggest the lemonade ice tea. Its def the best one and doesn’t taste like the chemically made raspberry/peach jizz that they put in the other ones. Stay away from the sandwiches tho. Too many great sandwich spots in town to bother with that. I do fuck with the pre packaged apple slices and a few other small things when I need a quick snack

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 7
  • fresh
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2023, 09:14:04 AM »
Damn if muni goes then DC is dead within  months of that cause one pretty sure they sell solely to people who skate that spot.
DC will be fine. if they keep making phat shoes they will be fine. even if they dont do that theyll be okay bc dudes like wes and evan still ride for em. DC foreva
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

your_wifes_xanax

• Rep: 15
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2023, 09:23:53 AM »
Looks like the last bench is gone  :(

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2023, 09:31:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn if muni goes then DC is dead within  months of that cause one pretty sure they sell solely to people who skate that spot.
[close]
DC will be fine. if they keep making phat shoes they will be fine. even if they dont do that theyll be okay bc dudes like wes and evan still ride for em. DC foreva

Both dont?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2023, 10:10:28 AM »
'til it's dirt.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -430
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2023, 10:23:38 AM »
they should rip out paines next

fuck that downhill shitpark

Dollar Bill

• Rep: -11
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2023, 11:00:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
Philly tap water brain
Ah, Huntington Beach. Makes sense. Run along.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2023, 11:37:32 AM »
RSVP that spot.

RSVP DC shoes sales

djtraceman610

• Rep: 38
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2023, 06:20:26 AM »
It's still good.

Shawneeg215

• Rep: -3
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2024, 10:08:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Progress" here means the beautiful, unique architecture built from quality materials get bulldozed and turned into a generic plaza which, except for some shitty and overpriced art, looks indistinguishable from a mall food court, with clear sightlines for police surveillance and a few entrances and egresses which can be controlled by law enforcement or whichever scam charity has rented it from the city for their 5k fun run fundraiser.
[close]

Painfully accurate. Like yeah sure we still have LOVE park technically, they just took out anything that would make it interesting or cool looking.

I remember reading awhile back that they were gonna turn MUNI into like grass or a garden or something, just didn't want to believe it was actually true.
[close]

Yup both quotes perfectly sum up the situation. It was extremely sad when City Hall and LOVE were ruined, but now Muni too? Just makes me sick at this point. They're actively trying to push out a culture that had such a positive influence on the city in place of some shit nobody asked for.

Glad I got to skate these spots before they're gone but my last session at Muni was not a good one. Would hate to end on such a low note, but like many others here I probably won't be able to make it back to Philly in time
[close]

I’m shocked both spots lasted as long as they did with tuffguys like Oyola fighting people and running around screaming the n-word in the 90’s. It’s a terrible look for skateboarders especially considering how one bad apple can easily ruin an average non-skater’s perspective of what we do. Sadly, all positive influence can be washed away in a second after one shitty experience with someone. As skateboarders, I feel we’re in a constant state of rebuilding our reputation. Constantly resetting the “0 days since last shitty incident” clock. That’s the only thing the people in power care to see - our shittiness.
Skateboarders being at spots like city hall and love park kept homeless crackheads out simply because we were to loud.  When they started cracking done on city hall homeless people set up camp and started deficating everywhere.  Unfortunately sometimes people gotta play the bad guy roll and be outspoken enough to manipulate their surroundings.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2024, 11:00:47 PM »
Who was the ex pro that wrote about cities using skateboarding as a means of gentrification? It makes me think about how Burnside kind of got a pass by the city due to the skateboarders somewhat policing the space, and keeping the more undesirable characters, from a normy perspective, out. It's the same thing with that new U.N. plaza in SF. Using skateboarders to kind of crowd control in an area because we're not unfamiliar with the streets and sketchy stuff. Because it's less likely someone will be smoking or sleeping on a ledge if someone is constantly trying to skate it.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2024, 12:04:37 AM »
Who was the ex pro that wrote about cities using skateboarding as a means of gentrification? It makes me think about how Burnside kind of got a pass by the city due to the skateboarders somewhat policing the space, and keeping the more undesirable characters, from a normy perspective, out. It's the same thing with that new U.N. plaza in SF. Using skateboarders to kind of crowd control in an area because we're not unfamiliar with the streets and sketchy stuff. Because it's less likely someone will be smoking or sleeping on a ledge if someone is constantly trying to skate it.
It was The “Creative Class” and the Gentrifying City by Ocean Howell, ex Birdhouse pro.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2024, 02:19:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It was The “Creative Class” and the Gentrifying City by Ocean Howell, ex Birdhouse pro.

The municipality of Copenhagen has several times said they are happy skateboarders use places like under overpasses. Exactly because it makes a place that tend to feel unsafe feel safer.

Is the hard stance against skateboarding in the states caused by some sort of bad feelings toward skateboarders, or is it because of some sort of responsibility issue if anybody gets hurt?

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2024, 02:35:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The municipality of Copenhagen has several times said they are happy skateboarders use places like under overpasses. Exactly because it makes a place that tend to feel unsafe feel safer.

Is the hard stance against skateboarding in the states caused by some sort of bad feelings toward skateboarders, or is it because of some sort of responsibility issue if anybody gets hurt?

they're scared of getting sued for a stupid high amount of money
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate