Author Topic: The Search for Marc Johnson  (Read 8823 times)

matty_c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: The Search for Marc Johnson
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2021, 03:19:16 AM »
MJ is prolly searching for whatever after his career. Most people when they decide to retire from a career end up doing random shit. hopefully he’s enjoying himself, and having a good time. Most guys that take a beating like that physically and most importantly psychologically(a lot of people don’t think of the psychological impact of having to make video parts consistently), tend to have a hard time transitioning into a new role in life. He seemed jaded about the skateboard industry in any interview you ever see with him, mainly about the way men handle their business ya know. He knows kids and even old ass adults trying to stay in the game use Instagram and all the other modern ways of trying to promote their skateboarding. Dudes old school and just didn’t want to be in the industry after everything changed, don’t blame him, would rather watch a 4 minute skateboard part back when men were noble on a board than whatever weird shit they have now.

I think you make a really good point

The best example I can give is this
I really only know about construction and for sure you can get shit pretty bang on if you take the time but sometimes deadlines and also shitty work by previous trades can have a cascade effect where all the work that went on top of it is all a bit Pete tong
But there are standards and there is stuff that may look wonky but it’s not technically a defect and someone in the industry would be like yeah cunt that’s fine I know that the concreting was all fucked and you didn’t quote on levelling it - just an example

Imagine putting your heart and soul into something and this fucking peanut gallery just picks your work and talks shit about how you put your hands down on a frontside flip or whatever
From the pros point of view maybe they are thinking Jesus Christ you little shit id been on tour a month I was fucking tired and sore and I just took that one, it’s fucking good enough

I done domestic work for full cunt clients that want the world on a platter for fuck all money and there is no pleasing cunts like that

I mean I’m not gonna stop roasting pros on slap cause from my point of view it’s not malicious I’m just trying to have a good time

But as I said, I think you made a good point there
listen to cosmic psychos

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2021, 07:31:21 AM »
No, that’s an awful take. You put something out - a product, a video part, a contest run, whatever - for the public to consume or purchase and the public can comment on it all it wants. If he didn’t want us to make fun of his stupid fucking company/skit/arm bending sleep syndrome, he didn’t have to put any of that out there for the public to know about.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2239
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2021, 01:24:41 AM »
…would rather watch a 4 minute skateboard part back when men were noble on a board than whatever weird shit they have now.
Ah, yes… the bygone days of noblemen on skateboards; I too yearn for these long past, glorious times.  ::)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2021, 01:36:58 AM »
Expand Quote
…would rather watch a 4 minute skateboard part back when men were noble on a board than whatever weird shit they have now.
[close]
Ah, yes… the bygone days of noblemen on skateboards; I too yearn for these long past, glorious times.  ::)

Definitely went through a pantaloons phase during that era. Sessions made the best ones, November a close second.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2021, 01:46:28 AM »
No, that’s an awful take. You put something out - a product, a video part, a contest run, whatever - for the public to consume or purchase and the public can comment on it all it wants. If he didn’t want us to make fun of his stupid fucking company/skit/arm bending sleep syndrome, he didn’t have to put any of that out there for the public to know about.

Fair call I was talking about clips but same shit really, like you said
Also just so we’re clear I always thought his company fucking sucked too haha
listen to cosmic psychos

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2021, 07:18:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fair call I was talking about clips but same shit really, like you said
Also just so we’re clear I always thought his company fucking sucked too haha

It’s a real bummer because it should have (and could have) been so much better.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

itspizzapie

• Rep: -13
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Definitely went through a pantaloons phase during that era. Sessions made the best ones, November a close second.

kids would say "Hello Sir" and "Yes M'am"... these were the good ol days

Doug_13

• Rep: 1
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2021, 09:23:15 AM »
Happy to report I finally got the board I ordered. I can see how y’all might not like some of the graphics. Marc has a weird sense of humor for sure but B&C boards are made thru Bare Back Mfg which also makes Baker, Polar, Kayo, and DLX boards FYI

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • Get bent
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2021, 11:07:43 AM »
Happy to report I finally got the board I ordered. I can see how y’all might not like some of the graphics. Marc has a weird sense of humor for sure but B&C boards are made thru Bare Back Mfg which also makes Baker, Polar, Kayo, and DLX boards FYI

Well I wanna just let you know that there is a whole 140 or some odd page thread discussing woodshops and what board companies use said woodshops, pretty sure most people that use this forum understand that BBS is responsible for making half, if not more of the skateboards on the planet……Marcs sense of humor has been lost since he left enjoi just FYI
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2021, 12:01:50 PM »
How good were those 8.25s with the 14” wheelbase though?
I skated with a flow dude for business and co at cream city and it was magical. Dude ruled.
Really good shape, I think the Dashawn toy machine decks are on the same shape

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1266
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2021, 04:43:33 PM »
so whats the deal with the 5 stickers thing?

does he mail you a novel to read or what?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2021, 07:25:31 PM »
so whats the deal with the 5 stickers thing?

does he mail you a novel to read or what?
sent a lot of stickers and a letter with some bolts so take from that what you will