Author Topic: Can’t remember if the board likes Huberman  (Read 7749 times)

elbarto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
Re: Can’t remember if the board likes Huberman
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 11:48:52 AM »
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Haido

• Rep: -1
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2024, 11:59:48 AM »
Dude had six women / relationships at once going. Insane for a guy that is all about bettering yourself, to be ruining other people lives.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/andrew-huberman-podcast-stanford-joe-rogan.html
bruh, you know the shit joey diaz used to do? i let that mofo tell me how to better myself too. hubermans pimpin, respec.
 du hast.
du hast.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2024, 12:01:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Getting tenure at an R1 like Stanford is REALLY difficult. Like, REALLY REALLY difficult. That world is 24/7 work. He is extremely smart, good looking, and makes damn good money. I understand how lots of women want him and why he could be reticent to jump into a legally binding relationship with a 50% chance of going through emotional and financial hell.

If that article indicated he was being abusive, then that is not okay.

EDIT: I will not purchase A1 greens.
[close]

I sorta had an idea who this guy is

I work in Palo Alto, and do consulting for people building houses and commercial buildings in the city.  One of my clients who teaches business at stanford is one of the founders of linkedin and his next door neighbor is the CEO of nike, he just got the job because of linked in sucess he's not a graduate....a builder i work with told me his wife who works there got his kids into stanford and they wouldnt have gotten in without her.  It's a nepobaby circle shelter
[close]

Unfortunately, higher education is a racket like many other aspects of American life. The CSU system, overall, had a decrease in enrollment. Not sure if the UCs and private schools are experiencing any enrollment decreases, but I do know they want to enroll as many students as possible. Also, they love milking alumni to donate to endowments.

Stanford is one of the weirdest campuses because it used to be where the Google servers were originally housed...i trip on that a lot.  that school basically turned into a VC wheelhouse after that. They just added a sustainability school that is fast tracking project investments from students.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2024, 12:10:06 PM »
This article reads like a graphic novel. Typical personal hit piece that is common in today's media landscape.

Crust

• Rep: 44
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2024, 12:51:29 PM »
I really liked Huberman. Since reading this article, I am not so sure, and hope to hear a response from him.

I have gotten so much out of his health protocol podcasts. It has improved my skating and recovery, not to mention my general health as a whole, massively.

I couldn't care less if has a bit of a "I use to skate" vibe going on.

But if the contents of this article are in fact true, and he was cheating, then I have lost pretty much all respect for him. Cheating destroys people's ability trust, and for what?

While the article was well composed, it does have a slight bit of a feel of a hit-piece to it.

I guess there's no smoke without fire, but hopefully Huberman will respond to get the other side of the story.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1620
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2024, 01:16:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Getting tenure at an R1 like Stanford is REALLY difficult. Like, REALLY REALLY difficult. That world is 24/7 work. He is extremely smart, good looking, and makes damn good money. I understand how lots of women want him and why he could be reticent to jump into a legally binding relationship with a 50% chance of going through emotional and financial hell.

[close]

He's not tenured. As far as I know "assistant professor" means he's got a job at a university doing research and/or teaching while he's already completed a phd.

I don't really care about the guy, but I have grown to hate the podcast bubble he's associated with: JRE, Lex Fridman and all those other guys just pander to a certain audience, while posing as critical thinkers.

I only know the accusations from twitter. I am not reading that article. Seems like he didn't break any laws. He is accused of being an asshole in his private life.

https://profiles.stanford.edu/andrew-huberman
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 91
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2024, 01:53:43 PM »
This is fucked. I get burnt out whenever I use dating apps and have to juggle more than one conversation with multiple women at once, my brain can't comprehend how he can keep this up with at least 6 people over the course of several years. All the deceit and lies, it's literal psycho behaviour.

I liked his podcasts and insight into a lot of things, I can definitely see how you could be snared by him. Slippery fucker.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2024, 02:00:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

He's not tenured. As far as I know "assistant professor" means he's got a job at a university doing research and/or teaching while he's already completed a phd.

I don't really care about the guy, but I have grown to hate the podcast bubble he's associated with: JRE, Lex Fridman and all those other guys just pander to a certain audience, while posing as critical thinkers.

I only know the accusations from twitter. I am not reading that article. Seems like he didn't break any laws. He is accused of being an asshole in his private life.
[close]

he's an "associate professor".

Wikipedia tells me: "In the North American system, used in the United States and many other countries, it is a position between assistant professor and a full professorship. In this system an associate professorship is typically the first promotion obtained after gaining a faculty position, and in the United States it is usually connected to tenure"

He doesn't have tenure, yet. He probably will, though?

Sorry, I am not American and not familiar with American academic ranks/job positions, but I am curious.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 127
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2024, 02:14:33 PM »
To get your brain chemistry right, you must eeny meeny miney mo them hos. Get those numbers up.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2024, 02:39:47 PM »
This was enough for me. Seems a shame that he has to (or possibly chooses to) run ads on his podcast. Especially for useless products. It undermines the [potential] helpfulness of what he is trying to teach and share. All that science and for what? To be rich and famous? Yeesh. He just kinda came outta nowhere as a star in the industry. Some skaters need to get out more.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Huberman is just another credentialed scammer.
[close]

Whats the scam? He doesnt seem to hawk products more than any other podcaster. If anything it seems like he tries to tell people what they can do for free.
[close]
not to say his advice is totally worthless, but anyone who shills supplements, the majority of which probably do nothing, as much as he does doesn’t seem very trustworthy. also taking kooks like jordan peterson and jocko willink seriously doesn’t help either.
[close]

I keep getting Instagram ads of huberman on a podcast endorsing these rubber balls you chew on to make your jaw muscles more prominent and aesthetically pleasing

I’m generally skeptical of all these influencers who seem to have solved fitness/well-being with a bunch of “hacks”

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2024, 04:01:42 PM »
He’s a grifter like all of those in his space

This. 100% just a grifter selling mostly pseudoscience.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2024, 04:42:19 PM »
He gave women HPV and has rage issues. Kenny Anderson of academia.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2024, 04:47:58 PM »
Please. Please. Please don’t tell me someone on here bought those “jawline” things you put in your mouth.

Dad Board

• Rep: 76
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2024, 04:51:40 PM »
Please. Please. Please don’t tell me someone on here bought those “jawline” things you put in your mouth.

I didn’t know this was a thing until your comment made me google it. Holy shit.

lurkluke

• Rep: 185
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2024, 05:14:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn’t know this was a thing until your comment made me google it. Holy shit.

Alpha grooming - probably a good name for the whole "alpha male" internet scam they're all running to hook teens.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2024, 05:19:55 PM »
Why i'm reading this on skateboarding forum

being a middle aged white dude will get the best of you.....

waffle

• Rep: 125
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2024, 05:27:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

he's an "associate professor".

Wikipedia tells me: "In the North American system, used in the United States and many other countries, it is a position between assistant professor and a full professorship. In this system an associate professorship is typically the first promotion obtained after gaining a faculty position, and in the United States it is usually connected to tenure"

He doesn't have tenure, yet. He probably will, though?

Sorry, I am not American and not familiar with American academic ranks/job positions, but I am curious.

Associate professor is still often on tenure track.

In this case, he almost certainly got the lab because his dad is
1. A very rich/connected silicon valley early employee (HP, Xerox) and
2. himself a Stanford professor.

Nepotism aside, plenty of poor scientists get labs at top universities, especially in today’s world of pop science:

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2023/10/02/how-did-some-of-this-goofy-psychology-research-become-so-popular-i-think-its-a-form-of-transubstantiation/

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2024, 05:32:25 PM »
at least six, maybe twelve

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2024, 05:36:18 PM »
Nope

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2024, 05:42:20 PM »
I think there is some level of bullshit to this guy, but there are certain things he says that genuinely work for me.

For instance, I always wait 1-2 hours after I wake up to drink coffee and I swear the afternoon crash doesn’t happen anymore. He’s also promoted intermittent fasting, which I won’t ever stop doing now that I’m adjusted to it.

He’s definitely not on the mikey Taylor/rob dyrdek level, saying he’s the same as them is just wrong. At least the dude has actual content as opposed to pure fucking gobbledygook like what rob/mikey are spouting
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 05:58:53 PM by Candied cigarettes »

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2024, 07:00:41 PM »
I think there is some level of bullshit to this guy, but there are certain things he says that genuinely work for me.

For instance, I always wait 1-2 hours after I wake up to drink coffee and I swear the afternoon crash doesn’t happen anymore. He’s also promoted intermittent fasting, which I won’t ever stop doing now that I’m adjusted to it.

He’s definitely not on the mikey Taylor/rob dyrdek level, saying he’s the same as them is just wrong. At least the dude has actual content as opposed to pure fucking gobbledygook like what rob/mikey are spouting

https://slate.com/technology/2024/03/andrew-huberman-huberman-lab-health-advice-podcast-debunk.html

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2024, 07:12:20 PM »
Pretty much anything he says that actually helps is common sense. Go outside and get sunlight. Don’t drink coffee even though it’s part of society, it’s still a drug. Exercise does help mental health. The rest is pseudoscience.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2024, 07:19:56 PM »
He gave women HPV and has rage issues. Kenny Anderson of academia.
Everybody get your Gardasil shots if you're under 45 and fuck around and aren't already exposed. No reason to be spreading that around in this day and age
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2024, 07:20:34 PM »
The article kind of falls apart at the end. Though, it is kind of funny that his mistresses ended up forming their own support group, of sorts. Must be a narcissist's worst nightmare.

The premise is interesting. Muscles responds predictably to self-improvement (exercise), but the mind is much more complex. All the therapy and self-help you throw at it doesn't make you any less of an asshole.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2024, 09:19:33 PM »
Can't lie. I had a look at the Huberman subreddit and the ensuing meltdown is kind of funny.

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 91
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2024, 01:12:14 AM »
Imagine hooking up with the handsome, buff science dude, expecting to get optimised here, and protocol'd there, but ending up in a messy love hexagon and getting genital warts.

"He told me he was into kink, but instead of some light flogging I ended up burning my retinas from forced sunlight exposure". A spokesperson from Huberman Lab denied this allegation and confirmed that Andrew simply advised them to get optimal sunlight exposure and not to stare directly into the sun.

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2024, 02:55:22 AM »
I dont do this often hey Mods can you remove this, this has nothing to do with skateboarding

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2024, 03:02:53 AM »
He does the classic grift of tell some simple truths you can't refute, appear to be in a position of authority, then sprinkle in pseudoscience & "facts" that support your worldview and your personal & financial interests. 

Andrea Love, an immunologist outlines his bullshit really well for people who. think the Times was a hitpiece.  https://slate.com/technology/2024/03/andrew-huberman-huberman-lab-health-advice-podcast-debunk.html

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
  • sup dog
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2024, 05:50:16 AM »
I dont do this often hey Mods can you remove this, this has nothing to do with skateboarding
Hey. he skated EMB. respect your elders.

*and go take a cold shower while hyperventilating.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -519
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2024, 06:12:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Hey. he skated EMB. respect your elders.

*and go take a cold shower while hyperventilating.

Are there clips, or do people remember him there?  Not calling him a liar, just curious what his connection is.