Author Topic: Looking for Kenny Reed Barcelona photo  (Read 2244 times)

batlock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Looking for Kenny Reed Barcelona photo
« on: October 27, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
I think it might have been a Transworld cover. It's him doing a tweaked Mute or Japan grab out of one of these beautful things:

in Besos, Barcelona

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
Re: Looking for Kenny Reed Barcelona photo
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »

batlock

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »

OH FUCK THE NOSTALGIA

My man, thanks! I used to have this issue but I guess 14 year old me wanted to tear it up and stick it on his wall.

Skated this spot the other day. That photo is fucked!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »
that's Tony Cox, not Kenny Reed
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

batlock

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »
that's Tony Cox, not Kenny Reed

Ohhh ok, thanks. Similar dude though. iPath, funky hats, big tweakers

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1571
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »

just in case you aren't familiar with this already

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
he talks about it here:

You also had your classic TWS cover in Jan. 2004. One of my all time favorite covers. Can you break down shooting that one? Did you know it would be a cover?

Well, the night before that photo was shot I had been out all night partying--how you do in Spain when you first arrive. The next day Kenny (Reed) was going skating with a group of people and meeting up at Sants to go skating with Pete Thompson. This was something I rarely did--go skate in an organized manner. Anyways, I went to Sants with Kenny, Paul Shier, Jack Curtain, Quentin de Breiy, and Justin Strubing. I was pretty out of it and Sants wasn't really my scene. I was about to just skate and sneak off and go back to center. Right as I was creeping away Pete shows up with his roller bag. So Kenny says, "Just come and skate." So we took off skating in a part of the city we had never been and all sudden those silver roller humps appeared. I followed Justin down the street and kept going off them and eventually by the time we got to the next spot--I really figured out how to fly off those things. We went to some other spot to check it out, then Pete asked if I wanted to go back and try and shoot a photo. So we did.

That was my first six months in Spain and only the second photo I had taken in the six months I had been there. Also the first photo I ever shot with Pete. He was shooting for the photo issue and that was the last day to shoot for it. That was mid October and on my birthday three weeks later we were at dinner on November 7 and Justin just handed me the magazine. I got the cover with that photo. Had no idea. That photo saved my career for about four more years.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/check-outcheck-in-tony-cox/
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

batlock

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 04:29:11 AM »
he talks about it here:

You also had your classic TWS cover in Jan. 2004. One of my all time favorite covers. Can you break down shooting that one? Did you know it would be a cover?

Well, the night before that photo was shot I had been out all night partying--how you do in Spain when you first arrive. The next day Kenny (Reed) was going skating with a group of people and meeting up at Sants to go skating with Pete Thompson. This was something I rarely did--go skate in an organized manner. Anyways, I went to Sants with Kenny, Paul Shier, Jack Curtain, Quentin de Breiy, and Justin Strubing. I was pretty out of it and Sants wasn't really my scene. I was about to just skate and sneak off and go back to center. Right as I was creeping away Pete shows up with his roller bag. So Kenny says, "Just come and skate." So we took off skating in a part of the city we had never been and all sudden those silver roller humps appeared. I followed Justin down the street and kept going off them and eventually by the time we got to the next spot--I really figured out how to fly off those things. We went to some other spot to check it out, then Pete asked if I wanted to go back and try and shoot a photo. So we did.

That was my first six months in Spain and only the second photo I had taken in the six months I had been there. Also the first photo I ever shot with Pete. He was shooting for the photo issue and that was the last day to shoot for it. That was mid October and on my birthday three weeks later we were at dinner on November 7 and Justin just handed me the magazine. I got the cover with that photo. Had no idea. That photo saved my career for about four more years.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/check-outcheck-in-tony-cox/

Awesome. Thanks man

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
well now that the thread is going,

there's a photo of the actual Kenny doing a Japan off a statue/fountain in Shanghai circa 2006 that I would love to see again

think it might have been a Planet Earth ad at some point?

anybody?

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »
^yeah i'd like to follow this up with a request for the photo of his back 5-0 down clipper that's in cairo's part in the reason. Pretty sure it's a pig wheels ad shot by jonathan mehring.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
i still have this mag on my shelf
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »
turn this into a kenny reed appreciation thread. i dont care if theres one going that I'm unaware of.

how about finding a photo of the sw ollie over the bump to bar in sf where his body is backward. unsure if it exists.

in regards to the japan grab, is this at night in the static ii video?

cloudy

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »
^yeah i'd like to follow this up with a request for the photo of his back 5-0 down clipper that's in cairo's part in the reason. Pretty sure it's a pig wheels ad shot by jonathan mehring.

lipstick on a pig?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »

in regards to the japan grab, is this at night in the static ii video?

no, I had the footage (filmed on my camera but not by me) but it's lost. I know the photo was used, just can't remember in what mag, basically a Japan grab off a long metal launch ramp cantilevered over water.