Author Topic: Do any of you dudes use compression socks or the like?  (Read 3064 times)

funeral_tuxedo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1169
  • old and in the way
Do any of you dudes use compression socks or the like?
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:13:29 AM »
Hey. I'm an old. I stretch, foam roll, re-stretch, swim in salt water heated pools, do Melt and yoga, eat an anti inflammatory diet, take Meloxicam, have Voltaren gel, drink water and pedialyte, and watch ASMR videos and then this part because it's what got me on board, and then I try to skate and you old dudes might know: it hurts when I bail, when I slam, but sadly when I land tricks, or if I don't skate at all. I wear cupsole Reynolds g6s and mostly skate flat...badly. Before I spend money I don't really have I thought I'd ask if any of you guys have tried out compression socks for calf injuries, extensor tendonitis, or other leggy ailments? Brands and coupons and go fuck yourselves are welcome as I'm just now realizing this should be in the old guy post up here thread. Sorry.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
Re: Do any of you dudes use compression socks or the like?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:17:24 AM »
I'm old too. Years of skating, jumping out of planes and running in the military as well as injuries have left me in a constant state of hurt. My push foot and ankle have been all but destroyed. I do the foam roller, dynamic stretching, a lot of ankle and foot strengthening exercises, wear a copper ankle compression sleeve and wear Converse Cons with the Lunarlon insole. Not big on Converse but that insole seems to be the only thing that allows me to take the impacts of pushing and moderate tricks and still be able to walk the next day.

I'm also taking a supplement called NutraOrganics Collagen Body. Only ships from Australia at the moment but coming to Amazon in the US soon I'm told. I never usually notice anything when trying supplements but after about 3 weeks of taking this I noticed my knees, ankles and feet were a lot less stiff and sore the morning after skating. It's pricey but seems to actually work, at least for me. https://www.nutraorganics.com.au/collagen-body-450g/347. You might wanna give Glucosamine Sulphate a try as well. Just make sure it's got the Sulphate part or it's going to be absolutely useless like half the Glucosamine supplements sold at GNC. Hope this helps!

thank you, firiruzu. My msm glucosamine chondroitin is sulfate, and I take L Glutamine. My fucking druggy habit was way, way cheaper than my medical regiment, but it's still all cheaper than my comic book collecting expenses. I'll be on the lookout for that nut organics collagen body.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
Skate more tranny, easier on the joints
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2270
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »
Stance has some good compression socks,I get other brands at costco and drug stores. Helped my neuropathy and some calf issues I had. I also use some ointments to relieve inflammation/pain on bad days, arnica and creams and this herbal shit from Dr. Schultz

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
Becomes more true by the minute

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:17:32 PM »
have you tried footprint insoles? they have different kinds. also, in addition to foam rolling I think a massage ball is good for targeting particular muscle knots.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 09:37:00 PM »
This is such a fucking lie. Bailing on transition means either running down uneven terrain or jumping to flat if you aren't fully padded up, and none of that is good for joints.

Today's sophisticated low impact skater just skates low ledges at a slow speed. Curbs are the ideal. I'll wax your ledge until I can grind it from a stationary position, and when some young whippersnapper tells me to just go faster I just let them know that's not an option.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:46:28 PM »
Tranny is only easier on you if it's a mellow 4 foot mini ramp. I definitely fucked my knees up running out of stuff on tranny more than jumping down 6 stairs. I do wear a compression sock on my bad ankle when skating and it is definitely noticeable

doublesteveburger

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 11:11:37 PM »
Gip's right about the bailing on tranny thing. Hanging up and bottoming out feels just as unforgiving as bailing a set.

My love for manual pads is unlike any other.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 11:12:49 PM »
Tranny is only easier on you if it's a mellow 4 foot mini ramp.

There’s your guys’ problem right there, stick to 4-foot
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -66
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:25:11 AM »
Tiger Balm cures all.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 12:38:34 AM »
I have some on-going issues with my knees and wear compression bandages/knee sleeves on both my knees when I go skating. It makes a world of difference to my skating and how I feel afterwards. If I don't have them on, it's hard to even ollie a curb without feeling pain.

You might wanna give Glucosamine Sulphate a try as well. Just make sure it's got the Sulphate part or it's going to be absolutely useless like half the Glucosamine supplements sold at GNC. Hope this helps!

This is spot on, Glucosamine sulphate helps A LOT. Don't let them trick you into buying just glucosamine or some other variant, it does fuck all.

I also find a lot of the cupsoles are still a bit too thin for my liking anymore and I end up just hurting my feet way too often. the lunarlon insoles are great in cons but I just can't skate them.  I've been skating Eraone's new shoe since it first came out and it's been amazingly comfortable. No injuries yet and I can still walk normally after a session, which is great. They look chunky as hell but that's a price I'm willing to pay for comfort when I go skate.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 06:38:08 AM »
Try some Kratom and y’all wil skate like you’re 5 years younger.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

ungzilla

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 07:17:53 AM »
idk i think you might be biased due to being slap's official kratom dealer

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »
I'm with Gip on this too....running out on transition is trouble but sure a 3' quarter somewhere is super fun.  On transition if you Wilson you can smash your head too.  Curbs....powerslides...and doing whatever flat ground you have left is way safer.  Parks are a lot more varied and easier to skate these days.

I've done ok with just trying to stay in shape: going to the gym, stretching/rolling out a bunch too.

Compression socks work ok for me just after a long day on my feet type thing more so. 

My relationship with skating of course has changed over the years but it's still worthwhile to keep around in some capacity....i know I won't be able to do it the same way forever but I think I'll be ok with that.

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »

I’m not SLAP’s official kratom dealer but i can wholeheartedly endorse it as a real help both in terms of body aches and general mood. Doesn’t even take a big dose. 4-5g is a real help.

That said, I’m definitely going to check out some of the suggestions y’all have given here.

D.O.T. DIY

• Rep: -45
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 02:44:26 PM »

Might as well pop some pain killers and drink a few beers, basically the same as Kratom. I wear compression socks, helps a shit ton with pain in my calves and helps the blood flow better in the chevrolegs.

trombadinha

• Rep: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
I'm with Gip on this too....running out on transition is trouble but sure a 3' quarter somewhere is super fun.  On transition if you Wilson you can smash your head too.  Curbs....powerslides...and doing whatever flat ground you have left is way safer.  Parks are a lot more varied and easier to skate these days.

I've been wondering about this - whether curbs or transition is safer/easier as an older skater. I'm not sure curbs are safer, I feel like they are riskier for ankle sprains, no?

And, if you can knee slide instead of running out, I think transition is easier on joints.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1513
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 02:39:33 AM »
I believe the ability to pop high is a good benchmark for you overall fitness (unlike doing basic lip tricks on tranny), but poping high also means that you will have to take more impact on landing.

So without further ado, let's design the first elderly skater's perfect ledge/manny pad: high on one side with a wedge on the other starting from the half-point of the ledge that facilitates a low-impact landing

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:00 AM »
Acupuncture, Epsom salt baths and padded Swartwool socks have helped the battle of aging

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 04:11:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been wondering about this - whether curbs or transition is safer/easier as an older skater. I'm not sure curbs are safer, I feel like they are riskier for ankle sprains, no? 

And, if you can knee slide instead of running out, I think transition is easier on joints.

although I've heard kratom is helpful, I'm sober, and if it's even slightly physically addictive (like a lot of pain management medication) then I will probably pass. I did see MC backing it, and I've got chronic illness stuff, and am a laborer with chronic pain, so I'll do research. So thank you. But yeah Gip, J Soy, I can't skate transition for shit and always end up on the flat bottom slam pancaked. I mostly skate flat, manual pads if they fucking exist in my neighborhood, little orange cones, and ledges. Anyone do dynamic stretching that's helpful that has like a youtube link please post it up. Thanks for all the responses. xo

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 05:07:25 AM »
I believe the ability to pop high is a good benchmark for you overall fitness (unlike doing basic lip tricks on tranny), but poping high also means that you will have to take more impact on landing.

So without further ado, let's design the first elderly skater's perfect ledge/manny pad: high on one side with a wedge on the other starting from the half-point of the ledge that facilitates a low-impact landing

yes! get Steve Rodriguez on the horn!
Doom - what specific compression socks of that SmartWool brand do you like? The runners?

jawano

• Rep: -16
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
Time to start squatting and deadlifting, man.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »
Get prescription compression socks. They are good for you.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 07:45:23 AM »
Get prescription compression socks. They are good for you.

Robert, please elaborate. What doctor did you go through? Did insurance pay? Do you like to party? :)

Sad Hippo

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »
Get on amazon and order some Animal Flex, it takes like a week or 10 days to build up but I felt great. I’m having a minor surgery in a week so I had to stop taking it a week ago, I can definitely feel a difference.