Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 545797 times)

braksabbath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 192
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4380 on: February 04, 2022, 10:03:54 AM »
I had to cut deep wheel wells on the Warpig cuz I refused to accept I needed risers on loose Ace’s/56mm wheels and kept wheelbiting on the rail on my heel side so I cut it down. Also need to move the rails inward cuz the deck almost scrapes on slides so this thing is getting some more speed holes soon.
Whatever board OCD is, I have the opposite.

disclosed

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4381 on: February 04, 2022, 10:11:09 AM »
I had to cut deep wheel wells on the Warpig cuz I refused to accept I needed risers on loose Ace’s/56mm wheels and kept wheelbiting on the rail on my heel side so I cut it down. Also need to move the rails inward cuz the deck almost scrapes on slides so this thing is getting some more speed holes soon.

my friend once broke one when a screw stripped and he tried to pull it off, then still kepy using it, i thought that was what happened.
i had a 14" wheelbase deck with rails last summer and you could see the shape of the wheels edged into the rails there. tey need to make shorter rails for short wheelbase decks.

did you switch the kingpin nuts on the old indys? mine are in a similiar state but the nuts are worn down to where i can even adjust the back truck anymore.

animalflesh

« Reply #4382 on: February 04, 2022, 11:06:00 AM »
Slappy hour makes a 13.5 rail

braksabbath

« Reply #4383 on: February 04, 2022, 12:29:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my friend once broke one when a screw stripped and he tried to pull it off, then still kepy using it, i thought that was what happened.
i had a 14" wheelbase deck with rails last summer and you could see the shape of the wheels edged into the rails there. tey need to make shorter rails for short wheelbase decks.

did you switch the kingpin nuts on the old indys? mine are in a similiar state but the nuts are worn down to where i can even adjust the back truck anymore.
Yeah the nuts were ground down at a steep angle and the washer had mushroomed around so they had to go when I replaced the blown out bushings. Had to push down on the hanger and use vice grips on the nut cuz there wasn't enough for a skate tool to grab on to.

disclosed

« Reply #4384 on: February 04, 2022, 01:08:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah the nuts were ground down at a steep angle and the washer had mushroomed around so they had to go when I replaced the blown out bushings. Had to push down on the hanger and use vice grips on the nut cuz there wasn't enough for a skate tool to grab on to.

yeah front truck washer is also folded around it on mine. the bushing is blown out too but cant be bothered anymore.
funnily i replaced the back truck bushings once, but was too lazy to do both. running completely diffrent bushings in both now. might also have the opposite of that OCD,

Slappy hour makes a 13.5 rail

yeah that's what i was thinking of! sadly not in Europe.
it's crazy how 14.5" is so standart. some are 14" but never saw smaller ones before. also sucks some rails don't actually have the lenght specified so you won't know what you get.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4385 on: February 04, 2022, 05:59:19 PM »
^Uh oh I sense the need for a new thread. I got a couple of different brands I can measure.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

braksabbath

« Reply #4386 on: February 05, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »
Shaped boards are tight but I think I’ve become a ride-the-board-backwards person and now my shits all fucked up. Need a company to put out shapes with extra steep kicks

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4387 on: February 05, 2022, 05:00:47 PM »
Shaped boards are tight but I think I’ve become a ride-the-board-backwards person and now my shits all fucked up. Need a company to put out shapes with extra steep kicks

To me some of the steeper boards with good shapes in wide sizes included Creature (and some Santa Cruz, but they were shorter), then some of the reissues from Dwindle like New Deal (also shorter) just to name a few.

I would have to check through the list but I could probably give you at least a dozen from a few different woodshops.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4388 on: February 05, 2022, 05:43:45 PM »

Not planning on this being my everyday board but I’ve wanted to try 215s for a while now and couldn’t resist.  I put in the Indy blue replacement bushings which are a different height than the ones that come stock in the current 215s so I had to crank down the kingpin nut a bit which felt very unnatural.  I guess it makes the wheelbase a little smaller cause it slides the hanger down and in a little bit with the lower bushings.

Skated it for the first time tonight in the 23 degree weather so I’m looking forward to getting back out there on it when it’s nicer out.  Visually the shape looks awesome.   

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
« Reply #4389 on: February 05, 2022, 07:55:37 PM »
If you want less threads showing, run bottom bushings top/bottom. The bottom bushings are the same height as the new tops on the 215s.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #4390 on: February 06, 2022, 07:11:47 AM »
If you want less threads showing, run bottom bushings top/bottom. The bottom bushings are the same height as the new tops on the 215s.

Would running low bushings work?
Or am I reading this wrong and you need higher bushings?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
« Reply #4391 on: February 06, 2022, 12:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would running low bushings work?
Or am I reading this wrong and you need higher bushings?

Bottom bushing is the same height as 109-169. The top bushing is taller on the 215s(the stage 11), but the same height as the bottoms. So essentially you’re running 2 bottom height bushings in the new 215s. If you like super loose run a normal(109-169) top bushing. Hopefully that clears it up.

beandemon

« Reply #4392 on: February 06, 2022, 01:13:04 PM »
You could get some conical bushings and use the bottom as a top. Or check Ripride or whatever longboard bushing co - they use taller cones.

This tall bushing business sounds pretty sick - counteract the increased leverage, more rebound. I assume there’s less kp clearance, though.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4393 on: February 06, 2022, 04:04:48 PM »

I just saw another email from Old Skull with products from The Heated Wheel by Neil Blender), including some decks, a couple in 9+ sizes and from the pics they are on BBS wood, the second one looking pretty good with a 9 x 32 and 15 wb, almost a longer wheelbase version of the Couch / Huffer similar type board.

This first one I would be drilling down as a 15.75 wb is a bit long for comfort.

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/the-heated-wheel-slam-time-deck-9-6-x-31-5/

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/the-heated-wheel-sportsman-deck-9-0-x-32/

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4394 on: February 07, 2022, 08:08:12 AM »

I just saw another email from Old Skull with products from The Heated Wheel by Neil Blender), including some decks, a couple in 9+ sizes and from the pics they are on BBS wood, the second one looking pretty good with a 9 x 32 and 15 wb, almost a longer wheelbase version of the Couch / Huffer similar type board.

This first one I would be drilling down as a 15.75 wb is a bit long for comfort.

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/the-heated-wheel-slam-time-deck-9-6-x-31-5/

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/the-heated-wheel-sportsman-deck-9-0-x-32/

Got to see these in person the other day and can confirm that the shapes are on BBS wood. The popsicles look like a mix, with at least one of them on Clutch.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4395 on: February 07, 2022, 03:16:21 PM »

Got to see these in person the other day and can confirm that the shapes are on BBS wood. The popsicles look like a mix, with at least one of them on Clutch.

The funny thing even just from the pics of the 8.38 is one had a DLX I on it, another had a Bakerboys 8.38 stamp, all the rest had the usual big dot, so they might for the most part be random put togethers.  Even those bigger boards look like they had the dot on them first, then drilled longer, as the deck bolts are way off for where the usual dot is between the bolts.

Just some interesting things anyway.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4396 on: February 07, 2022, 07:08:08 PM »
Anyone skate the Gonz sweatpants 9.81 shape as a street setup?  How did it compare to other shaped boards?  The dimensions look good to me.

I’ve been bouncing around between a few shapes recently trying to decide which one I like best as a daily board to skate.  The Dane 1 and Chocolate couch have been my favorites so far.  Not a huge fan of egg shapes or bigger popsicles or anything with an enormous wheelbase.  Wanted to give the Gonz board a shot too.  I guess my ultimate goal is to try to settle in on a favorite shape and stick to it for a while.  I’ve been consistent with skating Indy Ti 169s (best truck IMO) though so I’m looking at decks that decently accommodate those.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4397 on: February 07, 2022, 09:10:19 PM »
Sweatpants works good as wide street deck. Set it up with 159s (or equivalent) and smaller wheels and its pretty agile, due to the taper and shortish wheelbase. Recommended.

oliknight

« Reply #4398 on: February 08, 2022, 01:16:31 AM »
Anyone skate the Gonz sweatpants 9.81 shape as a street setup?  How did it compare to other shaped boards?  The dimensions look good to me.

I’ve been bouncing around between a few shapes recently trying to decide which one I like best as a daily board to skate.  The Dane 1 and Chocolate couch have been my favorites so far.  Not a huge fan of egg shapes or bigger popsicles or anything with an enormous wheelbase.  Wanted to give the Gonz board a shot too.  I guess my ultimate goal is to try to settle in on a favorite shape and stick to it for a while.  I’ve been consistent with skating Indy Ti 169s (best truck IMO) though so I’m looking at decks that decently accommodate those.

I love mine! I prefer it to the the Dane shape I had just because of the fuller nose and longer wheelbase, it’s sturdy but nimble. Not to throw a spanner in the works but I actually run 169s and that feels great too, paired with 50mm spitfire tablets.
I have also ran it with some 159s and some 60mm ojs as a bit of cruiser/all terrain board and that was sick too! Really versatile board :)

Enjoy!

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4399 on: February 08, 2022, 06:16:07 AM »
Just bought 2 Madness 10” blunt shapes. One for a cruiser with 159’s and 60mm Oj Juices and the other for main board with 169’s hollows and Oj 56mm hardlines. Will post photos once I’ve built em up

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4400 on: February 08, 2022, 06:40:59 AM »
Current board:

Nonconform 10' * 31.5 ( 14.25 WB )

Ace classic 66s

Old September Wheels 55mm

Real Rail

Nonconform x Souljah Grip

--

--

--

Dope

Just bought 2 Madness 10” blunt shapes. One for a cruiser with 159’s and 60mm Oj Juices and the other for main board with 169’s hollows and Oj 56mm hardlines. Will post photos once I’ve built em up

Hell yes I just ordered a madness 9.125", building up my first big boy coming from 8.5"

The_9

« Reply #4401 on: February 08, 2022, 06:58:16 AM »
Is that the one with the 15.3 wb?

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4402 on: February 08, 2022, 07:52:51 AM »
Is that the one with the 15.3 wb?

Yeah the "Grasp" deck

I'm 6'2" and enjoy a longer board/wb. This will be the longest WB I've ever had though and I only skate street, so we'll see how it handles.

The_9

« Reply #4403 on: February 08, 2022, 12:12:31 PM »
Yeah I’m super tempted but I’m only 5’9. Would make a great big transition board

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #4404 on: February 08, 2022, 02:16:53 PM »
Heavy mail day.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4405 on: February 09, 2022, 09:31:19 AM »
Before and after the first session:

Dane1 (WB re-drilled to 14.625")
Indy 159 with Krux K5 pins, Ace low bushings, Ace washers
F4 58mm OG classics
Film rail
Lucky risers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:49:45 AM by Macho Taildrop »

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4406 on: February 09, 2022, 10:37:26 AM »
bday complete to get me in the Nine Club

Old skull Jimbo two 9x33.125x14.65
169 forged hollow
Speedlab American Nomad 56mm 97a
Bronson g3

Mostly just cruised it today to get a feel, then sesh'd with my regular 8.5. goal is to eventually move to only one 9" setup but I wanna use up my 8.5 gear first.

DefyGravityGuy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4407 on: February 09, 2022, 10:39:04 AM »
Anybody happen to know to how much https://frogskateboards.com/products/jesse-alba-pro-model-deck tapers? It's 10 at its widest but it reaaaally tapers much at the back truck. I was wondering if it would be less then 8.5? I have 159's and not enough money to buy new trucks unfortunately. If it is 8.5/bigger than that, I don't have to worry about much, if any, hotrodding, better safe than sorry.  :D

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #4408 on: February 09, 2022, 12:59:01 PM »
Anybody happen to know to how much https://frogskateboards.com/products/jesse-alba-pro-model-deck tapers? It's 10 at its widest but it reaaaally tapers much at the back truck. I was wondering if it would be less then 8.5? I have 159's and not enough money to buy new trucks unfortunately. If it is 8.5/bigger than that, I don't have to worry about much, if any, hotrodding, better safe than sorry.  :D

you’ll be fine with 159’s bud. I’ve ran 159’s on an 8.75 football with out a noticeable hotrod.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

DefyGravityGuy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4409 on: February 09, 2022, 01:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you’ll be fine with 159’s bud. I’ve ran 159’s on an 8.75 football with out a noticeable hotrod.

alright thanks, than I can keep considering this one.  :)