Author Topic: Hockey Talk  (Read 224957 times)

Nick..

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: Hockey Talk
« Reply #780 on: March 17, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »
I didn't know there was any Leaf fans on here, or anyone else rooting for them to make a playoff spot. I'm glad there is, because now matter how bad they are, I'll watch because the future's bright. All the Leafs need to do is solidify their goaltending because after Reimer the savior, there's Giguere and Gustavsson, get a top line centre, like Brad Richards, a defensemen like Joni Pitkanen, and get rid of Brett Lebda.

Watching Brett Lebda is like watching a car accident. He caused the Leafs to go 4-1, he caused the Leafs to lose to shitty teams like Columbus, he left Beniot Pouliot wide open in the slot, and they scored and Leafs got shutout. Lashoff was a million times better, don't know why it took him so long to get called up.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #781 on: March 17, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »
yup lebda has been horrible I don't understand why they keep giving him minutes. Then on the opposite end, we have Phaneuf who's actually been playing great since the all star break. He got 2 goals and an assist last night I hope he keeps it up because he was such a dissapointment for the entire first half of the season.

I'll be a leafs fan for life no matter how badly they suck. My Father in-law jumped ship to root for the habs last year (he's from MTL) and I told him there's no coming back if the leafs start doing well. I hate how many bandwagon fans are in Toronto, everyone talks soo much shit on them but as soon as they start doing well everyone's driving around with those stupid car window flags.

The leafs have been shit for almost the entire season so it's actually very amusing that they are even remotely close to a playoff spot. I realize the chances are still slim but it's been too long since we've had any hope so I'll take it.

Nick..

« Reply #782 on: March 17, 2011, 10:40:48 AM »
Reimer, Burke, and the leadership Phaneuf's been showing has helped us tremendously.

Dion was talking in here, trying to get the boys fired up,? said goalie James Reimer. ?Mike Komisarek, all the veterans (followed), saying what we need to do. As a team we just kind of settled in here and took some time to realize what we each had to do out there to be better, and it worked.? The Maple Leafs pulled off a 4-3 come-from-behind regulation win over Buffalo on Saturday night to keep the heat on the Sabres and New York Rangers, who are holding down the last two playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.
?Didn?t have to say much,? said Phaneuf. ?We knew what was on the line. We played a pretty good second but we let them back into it. The only thing that was said was, ?We?ve got 20 minutes to make this our game.? We did that. It feels great.
?It?s the biggest win of the year for our team, but now we move forward to a bigger game on Monday.?
Phaneuf played a team-high 28 minutes 20 seconds, the third straight game in which he?s played at least 28 minutes. He also led the team with six hits. He hasn?t played less than 25 minutes in a game in a month, as coach Ron Wilson has relied on him even more since the departures of Francois Beauchemin and Tomas Kaberle.
Phaneuf might have been at his team-leading best when the Sabres ? with the net empty ? called a timeout. Phaneuf yapped and chatted at all his teammates, skating to Reimer, then player to player, offering encouragement.
His post-game demeanor in front of cameras may be staid, but on ice he?s the emotional polar opposite of Mats Sundin.
?We?ve got great leadership here,? said Reimer.

If Dion could play like this all season and be healthy, then the Dion from Calgary is back. I'm even more excited for the Capitals vs Leafs game on April 5th because they're playing great, and it's a real good enviroment. I'll be wearing my Grabovski jersey with pride.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #783 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
you gonna be at the game? that'll be a good one.

I was super lucky with tickets last year, went to 6 games for free, once in the platinums too. Not so much this year, I've only been to one game at the start of the season against phily through my friends work tickets.

I refuse to buy tickets it's such a gawdam rip off. I already spend way too much on beer when I go. Pretty much only time I go to a leafs game is if I'm offered free tickets.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #784 on: March 17, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »
I am sorry, I am a canadian, I am from the leafs region, but I can not support that franchise, too many reasons to list.
Plus Phanuff has a fucking faux hawk.

Go Sabres.

Nick..

« Reply #785 on: March 17, 2011, 03:15:10 PM »
you gonna be at the game? that'll be a good one.

I was super lucky with tickets last year, went to 6 games for free, once in the platinums too. Not so much this year, I've only been to one game at the start of the season against phily through my friends work tickets.

I refuse to buy tickets it's such a gawdam rip off. I already spend way too much on beer when I go. Pretty much only time I go to a leafs game is if I'm offered free tickets.
My friend bought the tickets and invited me. The seats are usually in the nosebleeds, but the view isn't bad at all. I also went to the game on January 20th versus Anaheim. Leafs won 5-2, and we still had Beauchemin, Versteeg and Kaberle, and Lupul was on Anaheim.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #786 on: March 17, 2011, 04:44:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
kovalev back to the pens. shyeaaaaah
[close]
it's your problem now
[close]

he's carrying his weight so far
[close]
how much dough you pay him ?

they picked up the remainder of his 5 mil a year contract

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #787 on: March 17, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it's your problem now
[close]

[close]
[close]

is this the last year on the contract ?
tricks are for kids , style is forever

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #788 on: March 17, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it's your problem now
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
is this the last year on the contract ?

yeah

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #789 on: March 17, 2011, 07:08:06 PM »
I am sorry, I am a canadian, I am from the leafs region, but I can not support that franchise, too many reasons to list.

Go Sabres.

I don't really hate the leafs, it's just annoying how much the media covers them....I shouldn't know who Freddy Sjostrom is...I didn't need a daily update on whether or not Kaberle had been traded for the past two years....but it's obvious why they get all the attention.  Burke did alot of good in Vancouver, but after the Kessel deal, the Phaneuf deal, then making him captain.... it's hard to feel bad for the team.  I think people in TO were o.k. with just a serious tank for awhile, so he didn't need to make those moves.  Ask anyone from Calgary if they think Phaneuf would be a good captain....

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #790 on: March 18, 2011, 06:46:32 AM »

Haha yea I hear you. Totally understand going for another team its not easy being a leafs fan. It only bothers me when the same people who talk all the shit in the world end up rooting for the buds as soon as they start playing well (not that it happens very often haha) then hop back on the other side of the fence and root for another team when theyre not. And yea faux hawk is inexcuseable.

I don't really hate the leafs, it's just annoying how much the media covers them....I shouldn't know who Freddy Sjostrom is...I didn't need a daily update on whether or not Kaberle had been traded for the past two years....but it's obvious why they get all the attention.  Burke did alot of good in Vancouver, but after the Kessel deal, the Phaneuf deal, then making him captain.... it's hard to feel bad for the team.  I think people
in TO were o.k. with just a serious tank for awhile, so he didn't need to make those moves.  Ask anyone from Calgary if they think Phaneuf would be a good captain....

I agree with you 100% on that Im not sure why that made phaneuf captain before he even proved himself. Then he didn't prove himself and sucked for the majority of the time last season and this season, thankfully hes playing a bit better now. Still at this point luke shenn should be captain or better yet no one should have the C really because no one has really stepped up for them to deserve it yet.

I know what you mean about the media coverage its a bit rediculous here, thats part of why i think a lot of people hate the leafs. They can be one of the worst teams in the leauge and still the building gets filled up every game, which is counter productive to a re-build in that there is less pressure to have a "good" team. This recent run they had gives me hope for them because at least we have a goalie now (reimer), I was never confident with gustavson or giguere, and they put giguere in last night and look what happened he got shelled. Why they didn't play reimer who's hot for such an important game i have no fucking clue.

Appreciate that you dont hate the leafs because most of canada does. If i go to van i feel serious hate for the leafs and montreals no different. My buddy from TO moved to MTL and wears his leafs jersey to play pond hockey and no one passes to him lol.

EDIT: fucking iPhone typing, i'll never get used to the texting on this
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:53:10 AM by Choad Muskrat »

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #791 on: March 18, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »
I live exactly in the middle of buffalo and toronto, distance wise, it is basically impossible to get tickets to the leafs games, and if you can afford the rape of a night financially, parking, food, beer, bal bla bla, then you get to see some inconistant bullshit product. I have never been a fan.
I was a sabres fan as a kid, because thats who we would go watch, way cheaper, better product, hasek in his prime,  and its a real hockey town. As soon as I started skating, i never even watched hockey ever again, sold all my equipment, and said farwell, now I'm older and I am a fan gain. The sabres aren't really thre best or anything, but I can't deal with the leafs.
Nothing against leaf fans. Good luck to you.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #792 on: March 18, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »
The sabres are damn good and Miller is one hell of a goalie too. I actually like the sabres and I'm down with Vancouver and the rest of the west coast teams. The only two teams I truely hate are the Habs and the Sens.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #793 on: March 18, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »
ef hate the habs, soo many lame seasonal hab fans that pick up habs gear at walmart and act hard core.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #794 on: March 18, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »
When Vanek was a rookie and the Sabres had Briere, Drury, Roy and Afinoganov they were one of my favourite teams, I was bummed how the team sort of fell apart after that. They have some sick rookies now with Ennis, Gerbe and Meyers, Stafford is super good too

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #795 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »
The West is way too close right now. Flames are probably fucked even if they hold on to that playoff spot, not liking our chances against Van/Det/SJ. Although I guess we're always good at forcing things to a seventh game if only to be let down.

Nick..

« Reply #796 on: March 18, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
And Giguere just HAD to shit the bed against the Florida Panthers. They should have of played Gustavsson.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »
When Vanek was a rookie and the Sabres had Briere, Drury, Roy and Afinoganov they were one of my favourite teams, I was bummed how the team sort of fell apart after that. They have some sick rookies now with Ennis, Gerbe and Meyers, Stafford is super good too

what's with everyone being a sabres fan here.....

They have hope there for sure....with the new ownership, they'll rise again.....

OldDirtyBastardChild

• Rep: 9
  • Im The ODB And I Cant See
« Reply #798 on: March 18, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »
SO STOKED theres some TO fans on here. My opinion, Kadri wont be a bust but wilson has gotta give the kid some confidence, sure he turns the puck over but so does taylor hall and noone gets on him because he scores. Whys that? Because his coach supports him. Gives him room to learn.

Now. Lebda and Komi are probably THE two most overpaid defencmen out there. Look at schenn and aulie even.. rookie contracts yet producing every game. Its a joke that there still playing. Thats my two cents for now.

Hope they make the playoffs

NCSB

• Rep: 15
« Reply #799 on: March 19, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
the rangers have stepped it up lately with 3 very important wins in a row. now i just have to count on buffalo, carolina, toronto, and atlanta to get cold for the remainder of the season haha. it doesnt help that atlanta and buffalo play tonight... lets just hope it doesnt go to overtime

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #800 on: March 19, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what's with everyone being a sabres fan here.....

They have hope there for sure....with the new ownership, they'll rise again.....

Terry Pegula is changing the culture over there in buffalo, he will make sure buffalo doesn't pull another danny briere chris drury again.
I have liked the sabres since I was a kid, but i wasnt watching hockey fo ra long while. , and its not liek they are really that good, they are on the bubble of being in or out of theplayoffs. I don't see a tonof hipe fo rthem this year, but the future looks bright.

I do like that I am getting people in here talking about the sabres though. artichoke, where you at?

Nick..

« Reply #801 on: March 19, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »
SO STOKED theres some TO fans on here. My opinion, Kadri wont be a bust but wilson has gotta give the kid some confidence, sure he turns the puck over but so does taylor hall and noone gets on him because he scores. Whys that? Because his coach supports him. Gives him room to learn.

Now. Lebda and Komi are probably THE two most overpaid defencmen out there. Look at schenn and aulie even.. rookie contracts yet producing every game. Its a joke that there still playing. Thats my two cents for now.

Hope they make the playoffs

Kadri needs to bulk up in order to be effective. I can't wait unitl Colborne or Gardiner play with us. And Lebda's like watching a car accident, or John Mitchell play defense. I like Komisarek, but he's been stuck with bad players (Beauchemin, Finger, Lebda) and is injured, much like Armstrong has. He's just unlucky.

Atleast they're up 2-1 over Boston and Kadri scored his first NHL goal.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:52:45 PM by Nick.. »

Foamin

« Reply #802 on: March 19, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »
Probably been brought up already but what do you guys think of Chara's hit on Max Pacioretty in that Bruins vs Habs game?

Nick..

« Reply #803 on: March 19, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
Probably been brought up already but what do you guys think of Chara's hit on Max Pacioretty in that Bruins vs Habs game?
A hockey hit that went wrong, and eventually blown out of proportion, thanks to the Montreal Police wanting to launch a criminal investigation over it. Even Pacioretty said that was stupid.

Nick..

« Reply #804 on: March 19, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #805 on: March 20, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
kesler trying to sell some underwear....

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #806 on: March 21, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »
Malhotra's out for the season and playoffs, it was expected but they finally made it official today. I just hope this isn't an injury that will potentially jeopardize his career.

Cooke got ten games and first round of the playoffs, good.

Playoff pool? Would anyone be down?

I did a season pool 2 years ago but it didnt work too well, not enough people were at the online draft resulting in shitty players.

Nick..

« Reply #807 on: March 21, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
I'm down.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #808 on: March 21, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
I'd be in.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: March 21, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
down....but it has to be simple....