Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93150 times)

Yu Dum

Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »
First confirmed case here in Memphis/Shelby County. One school administrator has been put on leave due to coming into contact with said infected person. Hasn't quite gotten to the point that large groups are being quarantined, but it's definitely a possibility.
Stay safe out there, Pals. SHALOM.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2020, 08:30:53 AM »
Just dropped my kid off at school, it was a ghost town. They usually do a little assembly on Monday mornings, not today. It's all the parents were talking about.

I was planning on going up to Mendocino to see my dad this weekend, but he's 73 and not in the best shape. There's hella cases where I'm at, none up there. If any of us aren't 100%, we aren't going. I don't want to risk getting him sick.

There's no way I could work from home either, so if it came down to it, I'd still have to go in, just not do any face to face stuff.

Ted Cruz is self isolating...

E

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »
Just dropped my kid off at school, it was a ghost town. They usually do a little assembly on Monday mornings, not today. It's all the parents were talking about.

I was planning on going up to Mendocino to see my dad this weekend, but he's 73 and not in the best shape. There's hella cases where I'm at, none up there. If any of us aren't 100%, we aren't going. I don't want to risk getting him sick.

There's no way I could work from home either, so if it came down to it, I'd still have to go in, just not do any face to face stuff.

You should probably not visit your dad either way. You could show no symptoms and still be contagious, better safe than sorry at least for now.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »
Theres only a couple cases in missouri right now but our costco still selling out of tp and bottled water. My sis went the other day and there was a line out the parking lot and down the street. I have a alot of older and sick folks in my family so hopefully they will be alright. But hey atleast were in the flyover states. My dad is traveling to seattle right now and flys constantly hopefully hes good

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
I either need this shit to go away or get so hectic that offices start shutting down so I can skate buildings that are usually busts.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2020, 04:53:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You should probably not visit your dad either way. You could show no symptoms and still be contagious, better safe than sorry at least for now.
Yea, today I read a wsj article that said you can be infected for 5 days before symptoms appear.

My county had its first death today.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
My coworker says she has a fever. I’m sure these NYC numbers are about to start multiplying.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2020, 06:29:14 PM »
I work in AV and leverage vendors all the time for business. I just got off the phone with a vendor who basically said "If you need anything, please call me, we're trying to keep the lights on". Shit is crazy out there.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »
My mom is bummed because she just happens to need toilet paper lol.

A few people in my county have been confirmed to have it. If I didn't already say it here, if I get it and die from it, throw me in a dumpster like the worthless piece of shit I would be. I just don't want to get sick and miss work because I'm trying to build up my vacation hours. I've also been getting really sick the last few years when I used to never get sick so that sucks. I also work with the homeless and poverty stricken public and in a big office with a bunch of equally filthy fucks who don't wash their hands or stay home when they're sick so that kind of pisses me off. We have to have a meeting with like 40 of those animals tomorrow (my co-workers not the homeless).

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2020, 08:10:54 PM »
Events and gatherings of 1000+ people just got banned for 3 weeks in Santa Clara county.

My school just canceled in-person classes for the rest of this week and will be online only as of next week for the next 3 weeks, followed by a week of spring break, and then they will determine if they resume in-person classes or not.

1 month without showing up to school. Fuck yeah.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »

at least they're testing in Mendo. Up in Humboldt they sure aren't... hope your dad is ok
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2020, 09:32:29 PM »
I live in Austin. They just cancelled SXSW. Wild.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/sxsw-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus.html

Crazy. Interesting to see how the other festivals respond.

Anybody else think all this a big conspiracy?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2020, 11:18:54 PM »
I just spent 2 months in Laos (se asia) and theyve got no reported cases lol.  Im in the malayasian airport and i feel good.  Kinda stoked on the virus cause im enroute to Bali and it will keep alot of surf tourists away, so that will mean less crowded surf. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2020, 11:33:37 PM »
Expand Quote
I live in Austin. They just cancelled SXSW. Wild.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/sxsw-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus.html
[close]

Crazy. Interesting to see how the other festivals respond.

Anybody else think all this a big conspiracy?

No.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2020, 12:01:59 AM »
I just spent 2 months in Laos (se asia) and theyve got no reported cases lol.  Im in the malayasian airport and i feel good.  Kinda stoked on the virus cause im enroute to Bali and it will keep alot of surf tourists away, so that will mean less crowded surf.

You are a moron.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2020, 01:58:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You are a moron.
  Get mad about then dude -see what that does
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2020, 10:07:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You are a moron.
[close]
  Get mad about then dude -see what that does
over 3000 ppl dying so far is cool because now less people will burn you in the water

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
I live in the Bay Area. A week ago it was sort of mellow but now things seemed to be heightened. I take a bus from Oakland to SF every morning with a ton of people commuting and I think I had like 10 people on as a lot have been advised to work from home. A lot of other things are cancelled as well from the SJ Sharks, ballet, high schools, companies, etc. I am going to a Warrior game tonight. Wonder if it will be a ghost town.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

doublesteveburger

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »
My lady and I were looking at flight prices last night and it’s insane. $400 round trip to Barcelona. Similar prices to Canada and even cheaper in the states.

Bummed my mom will be heading back home to Mexico for a solid month. Hoping she’s safe out there and doesn’t have any problems getting back.

Also, a facility in Colorado that I ship medical equipment to confirmed a case today.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2020, 12:47:42 PM »
God damnit just took me forever to remember bb code.

A data scientist coworker at the company I work at (HEAVY data analytics for all functions of the company) created this based on all public available information:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:46:50 PM by fakie nollie »

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »
Everyone at work was talking about it yesterday because they had some dumb meeting and our regular boss said a state of emergency was declared in our county, which it wasn’t. And I knew it wasn’t.

Also the people that work the front desk with the people (mainly homeless or poverty stricken) requested rubber gloves and another equally regular supervisor said those won’t help because if they touch their face it can spread. Thankfully someone said what I was thinking that like, they don’t have to touch their fucking face. They can take the gloves off and wash their hands when they need to.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2537
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »

A date scientist coworker at the company I work at (HEAVY data analytics for all functions of the company) created this based on all public available information:

So this guy has no epidemiological knowledge, he's just playing with numbers? I've seen a few similar graphs and charts like this popping up, and it's always some big data nerd with no actual relevant expertise. It's irresponsible, imho.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2020, 05:19:37 PM »
Expand Quote

A date scientist coworker at the company I work at (HEAVY data analytics for all functions of the company) created this based on all public available information:

[close]

So this guy has no epidemiological knowledge, he's just playing with numbers? I've seen a few similar graphs and charts like this popping up, and it's always some big data nerd with no actual relevant expertise. It's irresponsible, imho.

Nope! He's just some jackass with a bunch of numbers, locations and dates who tried to identify trends. What kind of sadistic data scientist would do such a thing, right?

Within 20 minutes of posting that on a workplace group, our head of HR mandated we (every office in the world) work from home for the next 2 weeks (roughly 9k employees).

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2020, 05:21:56 PM »
Coachella postponed till October. Bet  all music festivals will cancel or move to a different date. Crazy , today 2 universities in my town anounced they are suspending class and moving online.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2020, 07:26:19 PM »
State of Emergency in North Carolina. I'm going to work online for the next few weeks which sucks because I won't hoop with my lunch break crew, but is tight because I'll skate at the park every day thats not raining.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2020, 07:26:43 PM »
posted here 6 days ago when in my country there were about 350 infected, now it's risen up to 1.6k and our dumbass politicians still won't close schools and universtities, even though many times the first person in a region getting sick was a teacher, daycare employee. people are acting all fatalistic here, like everyone is like "yeah it would be sick if i'd get corona, two weeks off, hue hue." at least people don't hoard buy shit around me. but i won't be surprised if the spread actually worsens a lot. what pisses me off is stuff like this one couple that i know they just flew to italy for vacation despite the virus, under the assumption that it's everywhere now anyways. people only care about their own health, think they are alright, but they don't think about how they might spread.

send the kids home from school for a month, let people apply for a month off to take care of them at home during that time and give them some sort of emergency pandemic welfare payment or whatever. it wouldn't stop it completely but might be a way to slow it down so everyone falling seriously ill can get treated properly.

also there is a confirmed case at the workplace of a coworkers wife and she was told to self-isolate for the next two weeks to see if she develops any symptoms. but her husband/my coworker is supposed to still go to work(we work in gastronomy, lol). public health office actually said it's fine if he goes to work but he should self isolate everyday after work, too. which makes absolutely zero sense, considering we are preparing food and drinks for hundreds of people every day.

i feel like our government has a poor grasp on the situation and similar to the u.s. government is slow in responding and also mainly focused on the  economic impact rather than public health. they seem to be leaving it largely to the affected commuinities how to deal with the outbreak and are slowly consolidating efforts to actually have enough medical equipment in stock when shit hits the fan after telling everybody to relax and that there'd be enough meds all around. merkel acually said herself she thinks that about 60-70% of the population will probably get sick before there will be any vaccine or antiviral meds and that that's that basically ala get over it.

it's like world: mi fraid a corona!!
germany: eh, fuck it, we're all doomed anyways. if you die to this, you are poosey

still not very afraid of getting sick myself but man, if this was like an actual killer, we'd all be so fucked because people just can't abide and shit. too many people running around with invincibility complexes.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2020, 07:33:14 PM »
Nothing really. There's been one or two suspected cases that turned out to be false alarms. I have heard talk of hand sanitizers flying off the shelves. Plenty of TP at stores though. Everyone at work is definitely washing their hands more often, myself included. In my field, I attend a lot of meetings at programs, schools, courts, so I come in contact with a lot of people. Even before all this started, I constantly washed my hands and kept hand sanitizer in my car.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1489
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2020, 08:01:56 PM »
I don't feel like the risk is to my wife and kids or myself. My worries are for my mother in law who is in her 70's possibly getting it from us wandering around wherever like a very popular aquarium where people literally come from all around the world. Since it takes a few days to incubate, she could then infect her even older sister whose got health issues. I can't feel good about doing something like that because I didn't exercise more caution.

I'm going to have to call my mom at some point and tell her that when we visit there, she's got to refrain from direct contact from us because I don't want her getting it because her diabetes makes fighting this even harder. She might have to wait a week to finally hug her grandkids before I can feel at ease about it.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2020, 09:40:38 PM »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2020, 09:47:07 PM »

from Jef Hartsel's insta stories
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:49:18 PM by ChuckRamone »