Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93155 times)

Audrey II

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14188
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2020, 05:34:58 AM »
pretty sure im gonna have to work from home pretty soon. big companies are getting nervous, even here in new england area.
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2020, 05:40:55 AM »
Norway is shutting down schools and counties are severely limiting social gatherings. I think the limit is now 50 people, and a lot of sports are also cancelled. Indoor skateparks closed, climbing gyms closed etc. In most larger businesses people choose to work remotely when possible, I think there is roughly 10 out of 100 people at my work right now.

I've had light flu like symptoms for a week, so I've not been allowed to go to work and was instantly put on sick-leave by my doc even though he didn't expect corona since I haven't been traveling. Haven't been tested and probably won't unless my doc asks me to.

I think we have roughly 500 confirmed cases, and probably a whole lot more waiting to be discovered.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2020, 05:43:07 AM »
I'm in Iowa, at first I thought this was a giant media hoax and yada yada but when I heard bout the death toll in Italy my heart dropped. I have family over there which makes me worry. Now there's cases in Iowa, I live in a small rural town, the super markets are all out of TP and other things such as soap and certain food items. The university's are closed. I was supposed to be going back to SF this weekend but I don't think it's a good idea because of this. Airports are a dangerous place at the moment and I worry for my life and my family's life.   

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2020, 05:48:24 AM »
Norway is shutting down schools and counties are severely limiting social gatherings. I think the limit is now 50 people, and a lot of sports are also cancelled. Indoor skateparks closed, climbing gyms closed etc. In most larger businesses people choose to work remotely when possible, I think there is roughly 10 out of 100 people at my work right now.

I've had light flu like symptoms for a week, so I've not been allowed to go to work and was instantly put on sick-leave by my doc even though he didn't expect corona since I haven't been traveling. Haven't been tested and probably won't unless my doc asks me to.

I think we have roughly 500 confirmed cases, and probably a whole lot more waiting to be discovered.

Fuck, feel better man and take care of yourself. 
Gentleman ninja warlock

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 20
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2020, 05:51:12 AM »
I'm in Tampa, and Wrestlemania is in danger of cancellation.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2020, 05:53:34 AM »
I’m not sure if they legally can but my company just mandated all employees cancel planned travel in 2020, both business and personal

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2020, 05:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

No.
[close]

you sound like my ex girlfriend
[close]

Uh-huh. If you think levity helps, go for it. Or just google that shit yourself.

In the meantime here's an account of how things are unfolding in northern Italy:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1237142891077697538.html
[close]

I did have to google the word levity as i'm not a native english speaker. thanks for adding to my vocabulary.

Conspiracy theories i find entertaining to read and i don't really see how that means making fun of the situation.

Then again, I do find it healthy not to take things too seriously in this world and approaching things with the right amount of levity should be ok as long as you're not hurting people with it.

i hope i used my newly learned word correctly in a sentence, feel free to correct me

I have family abroad in a place where the infrastructure isn't necessarily up to par. Can't help but to take this a bit more seriously. Fairly safe to assume I'm not the only one. Am I upset? No. Worried? Yes.

Not a native English speaker, either. I'm not choosing to use certain words in an attempt to impress anyone here. Guess neither of us can control our train of thought.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2020, 05:57:14 AM »
And the UK is apparently allowing citizens to get infected to create ‘herd immunity’?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2020, 06:15:52 AM »
holy fuck, one coworker after another is calling in sick with bronchitis and fever.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2020, 06:31:07 AM »
And the UK is apparently allowing citizens to get infected to create ‘herd immunity’?

You can volunteer to be infected for £3000.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2020, 07:03:46 AM »
 My tractor repair man told me that this is Chinese bioterrorism so I’m wondering if Bobby has posted this theory yet seems to come from Rush Limbaugh.

Just checked his Insta like a man.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:05:28 AM by GardenSkater77 »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2274
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2020, 07:17:36 AM »
My tractor repair man told me that this is Chinese bioterrorism so I’m wondering if Bobby has posted this theory yet seems to come from Rush Limbaugh.

One of my dipshit friends believes it's being spread to push marshal law into play. Before that idea went into his head,he was just doing numerology (aka math) to show how this whole virus was just something to wave around for the presidential race. 33s and shit. Very Bobby of him.

I hope all you pals stay healthy!

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2020, 07:20:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The local university just declared all classes will now be taught online for the next month.

Spring Break is my big worry. What happens when all the idiot children come back from vacation?
[close]

There's talk of doing that at the university I work at, which I guess means I'll be working from home for a while. Only two confirmed cases in my state too, but the governor just declared a state of emergency. I haven't seen any hystaria at any shops yet, but I'm sure I will.
[close]

i am an adjunct professor ("English") at two different universities in Michigan, where we just had our first two cases confirmed.

one of the universities emailed faculty a while back about beginning to consider how to teach the rest of the semester from home if classes and/or campus had to be closed. we always talk in my classes about what people are doing over spring break, and to my knowledge only one student was going anywhere, and that was to Florida.

i hope everybody is well...

[close]

I'm in MI as well (WSU). I'm sure we'll hear later today whether we'll be going virtual. Both cases were fairly close in proximity to the university. Michigan State just announced that they're going all online. If we don't, the media is going to slay us.
[close]

yeah, WSU is one of the spots where i teach--i'm sure you have probably seen the newest email, but they extended spring break to March 23--although this is going to be a pain in the ass on the teaching end, A: i'm sure my students will be stoked (despite the reason), and B: i actually think this was a solid way to approach this...we'll see.

keep working for and praying for the best, but be prepared for the worst, right? as long as people keep their heads and remember that we're all trying to stay safe and sane, this is manageable...
[close]

I'm wondering what they're going to do moving forward. It seems like this extra week will be for professors to plan how to move their courses online, but I have no idea what will happen for all the hands on classes.

I've got one class this semester which is already online and I'm not going to take next week off. Everyone still has the same amount of work to get done and losing a week is only going to make things harder in the end. I assume it probably feels the same on the teaching end as you've got a certain amount of material you need to cover.
[close]

i would say that's exactly what the week is for, which again, i'm feeling, because i've never taught an online course before. actually i've turned them down, because--despite their practicality for people with kids and jobs and all--i got into this mess because of what goes on face-to-face in the classroom. (i'm assuming the week will have to be made up at the end, like last year when we had those closings due to the weather.)

that all being said, a pandemic obviously changes things a bit. the email i just received said there's obviously concern for the significant amount of students who have "limited access to technology off campus."

i hope all is well for you and yours man--stay safe...
[close]

Re; bold items. Both colleges I adjunct at have done the same, with the exception of one that's cancelled through the 29th (their spring break doesnt start until the 23rd). One class I teach could absolutely be taught online, the only thing I worry about is students having access to tech they need (mainly photoshop). The other one is focused on creating a more serious photographic body of work and the tldr of that is; most of my students shoot film and don't have scanners/darkrooms at home so at the moment my dept head is trying to figure out a few solutions but it's pretty up in the air at this point.

It just sucks overall. On the plus side I'm going to save a ton on gas as my commute to both schools is kind of lengthy. Hope everyone fares well over the coming weeks no matter what line of work you're in.

amen to both of these.

if you read above, i adjunct at two different universities too--this semester, one an "Intermediate College Writing" course (ENG 3010) and one a literature course, "Encountering Modernity." i just had to send the first emails to the classes since the extensions on spring break and the switch to online classes for the rest of the semester--also to encourage them to stay focused and let the routine and normality of the work keep them positive in all of this.

the composition class is a bit more of a pain to switch to online teaching, but better suited to it--the lit class is easier (discussion boards and all), but the lit classes are especially fun in person, so it sucks. we're reading Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" next, and i was going to show Apocalypse Now in class, which i was really looking forward to...not sure how to make that work in a way it won't cost them.

i guess resilience is the key in a lot of ways right now...

Can we keep this to information and limit the fights? This is getting serious by the day. Here in DC nothing major so far besides the confirmed cases and that one priest who touched a lot of hands. If DC gets bad idk what will happen here in NOVA.

best advice in here thus far--we're all in here as part of a community right? everyone is just trying to stay safe and sane, and remembering that is key...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:22:35 AM by Deputy Wendell »

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2020, 07:25:58 AM »
For lack of a better term I’m a Medical Detective
Lol this guy sounds like a conspiracy theorist
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2020, 07:32:56 AM »
holy fuck, one coworker after another is calling in sick with bronchitis and fever.
where are you located?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2020, 08:43:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
where are you located?

north germ-many

think my workplace might inevitably have to shut down for a while within the next two weeks.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
where are you located?
[close]

north germ-many

think my workplace might inevitably have to shut down for a while within the next two weeks.

Canada here, we just got the the call not to go into work

Odd thing is I havent heard the government say too much
Gentleman ninja warlock

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2020, 08:49:37 AM »
I made the decision to work from home today. They announced at 11am that office is closed starting Monday. My parents are on vacation in CA right now and I want them to come home but I don't know what is safest.

Yu Dum

« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
First confirmed case has hit Memphis. Schools are closing until the end of March and universities are doing strictly online courses until the end of the semester. I'm not so much worried about myself, but I'm incredibly worried about my wife due to her issues with asthma.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
How I’m behaving:

How I want to behave:
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2020, 09:37:26 AM »
It was announced yesterday that everyone at my job is to work from home until 3/27. I walk to work 30 minutes each way so it was good for exercise. The other day I skated there and back. Other than that I don't mind working from home since I recently bought a second monitor for freelancing. 2020 has turned out to be a weird year. I was hoping it would be more normal after a somewhat chaotic 2019. Is everyone still skating per usual? I am.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2020, 09:50:38 AM »
First confirmed case has hit Memphis. Schools are closing until the end of March and universities are doing strictly online courses until the end of the semester. I'm not so much worried about myself, but I'm incredibly worried about my wife due to her issues with asthma.
I hope your wife and the rest of you PALS stay safe and healthy out there! Things are weird and getting weirder by the day.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2020, 09:54:59 AM »
Currently unemployed. Living with my girlfriend and her mother after my apartment burned down. Was planning on looking at apartments this week to move but that's on hold.

Luckily my girl has a nice savings and is down to prep. She threw down hundreds yesterday and we stockpiled in a big way. Probably a month or more of food just in storage now. Also going to try to grab more guns and more weed soon. My girl is all about prepping for some fucked up quarantine or self isolation which is a relief. Also, I don't really care if I can't go outside for a month or more. Spent an unhealthy amount of my life incarcerated so some mild house arrest sounds lovely right about now. Curious to see how this all pans out.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:57:40 AM by drewsmahgoos »

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2020, 09:56:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
One of my dipshit friends believes it's being spread to push marshal law into play. Before that idea went into his head,he was just doing numerology (aka math) to show how this whole virus was just something to wave around for the presidential race. 33s and shit. Very Bobby of him.

I hope all you pals stay healthy!

Fun fact: my first name, somewhat common, is misspelled by (1) letter because my mom wanted the letters to work out, numerically.

Kylo Send

« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:15 AM »
Norway just shut down for 2 weeks

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2020, 11:16:58 AM »
be safe, man. the asthma element definitely complicates it. i hit the store last night to be prepared for 2 weeks in house

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2020, 11:21:51 AM »
De knob all the spots

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2020, 11:28:26 AM »
I am in an empty office in SF. Only mother fucker oddly liking the emptiness of a city but still sort of eerie.

Stay safe out there guys.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
Kind of worried about contact with people who have been in contact with others who may have the virus. i mean its exponential.

A relative of mine at a nursing home which could now be exposed, was with others who visited relative a few days ago.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2020, 01:08:28 PM »
Only a couple cases in my state and one death. Took my car to the shop this morning and the guy was telling me one of the doctors where his cardiologist is had it. Was in there the same day that guy I guess realized he was sick? Work as a cook so no working from home and a couple servers called out sick. They aren’t allowed back till they are cleared medically. Like most people I’m more worrried about my parents/grandparents getting sick from it. Disappointed in our government with the little they’ve done.