Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93157 times)

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #360 on: March 16, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »
In L.A., there are no available grocery deliveries for Instacart, Amazon Fresh or Prime Now. I'm sure many of you have already seen the insane pre-opening Costco line in Azusa, CA. Meanwhile, the government agency I work for is business as usual. No masks or gloves for security and still no cleaning of public areas. There are also still plenty (though much fewer) of tourists on Hollywood Blvd or wandering around downtown.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2020, 06:17:25 PM »
I was in SF yesterday, the grocery store was relatively normal (low on bleach/paper products).

I was in LA this morning, the meat section was pretty much completely empty. I'm pretty annoyed with everyone's panic buying at this point.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #362 on: March 16, 2020, 06:22:20 PM »
Athens, GA we have a curfew from 9pm to 5am I'm guessing because idiots were still going out to the bars in this college town.

Last time I left my house was to buy some last minute supplies on Friday (I'd already stocked up on basics). It was hectic, but not crazy. I'm just guessing because some people couldn't buy anything until they got paid that day.

nah the pigs are out to jail Dirty Kids. That's always the main objective in Athens.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #363 on: March 16, 2020, 07:29:52 PM »
Singapore banned all travel in and out of the country from anywhere with a large or growing outbreak. Panic buying also resumed today because Malaysia is implementing border controls and much of our food comes from there.

That said, life is continuing much as normal. Many people are working from home. But, social gatherings continue as normal. Although, they now skew towards outdoor events. Covid 19 apparently likes temps below 17C. It's 28-32C most days here.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #364 on: March 16, 2020, 10:16:29 PM »
People are such pieces of shit buying all this food they aren't going to eat. Bread, salad, a ton of milk, all that shit goes bad quick. So fucking stupid. I went to Walmart because I'm fucking hungry, not because I want to stock up. I was able to get some frozen burritos, hummus and bagel chips, and some jerky. And some snickers I like. Fuck all these greedy mother fuckers.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #365 on: March 16, 2020, 11:08:56 PM »
poor johnes and his kratom has me feeling for the junkies who can't panhandle for 3 wks or steal or whatevver else to make ends meet. it's gonna be a lot of dopesick but hopefully a lot of recovery stories coming out of that. Corona is helping us change our lives.

This has been true for me as well, if in a different way. My wife and I got to spend over a month of paid quality time together in February during the quarantine which we hadn’t had in ages. I talked to family and friends on skype a lot more. Plus we finally started cooking ourselves every day, which we had wanted to do forever but hadn’t been motivated enough to get round to.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #366 on: March 16, 2020, 11:19:50 PM »
Expand Quote
poor johnes and his kratom has me feeling for the junkies who can't panhandle for 3 wks or steal or whatevver else to make ends meet. it's gonna be a lot of dopesick but hopefully a lot of recovery stories coming out of that. Corona is helping us change our lives.
[close]

This has been true for me as well, if in a different way. My wife and I got to spend over a month of paid quality time together in February during the quarantine which we hadn’t had in ages. I talked to family and friends on skype a lot more. Plus we finally started cooking ourselves every day, which we had wanted to do forever but hadn’t been motivated enough to get round to.
Cannibals confirmed?
Served with a fine Chianti?

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #367 on: March 16, 2020, 11:52:30 PM »
Well i was waiting for ppl to calm down and the grocery stores to get less crazy but now i’m in one of the counties with a shelter in place and i don’t have much food. Can still get food but it’s gonna be a nightmare

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #368 on: March 17, 2020, 12:17:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Cannibals confirmed?
Served with a fine Chianti?

haha, we had to go real slow to stretch the whole process out over the entire month... I meant as opposed to takeout and restaurants, in China eating out is so cheap and good that cooking always seemed unnecessary/not worth it.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1105
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2020, 12:19:52 AM »
The night Tom Hanks told us he has the coronavirus AND they put the NBA on hiatus, I said "F this" and bought over $700 worth of non-perishables at Vons, most of it on club price so I paid only $360.

Work is giving me the option to work from home, which I will probably take them up on.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #371 on: March 17, 2020, 02:39:15 AM »
right now i work for a meat distributor in canada, today was busier then any day last year, including christmas. talked to my boss for a minute and the supply chain is still in place as of now, tho he mentioned beef prices from our main supplier increasing by $3.00/kg across the board from friday to monday. not sure if it's gouging or if costs have increased due to emergency tactics. shit is gonna drop off a cliff once everyone's done stocking up, it's gonna be a brutal for the economy when that happens.

pulled kids out of daycare, just chilling at home otherwise.

today our prime minister closed the border to everyone except canadians and americans. pretty much everyone agrees it was a half measure. americas not looking so good rn
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1516
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2020, 02:57:03 AM »
The vegan society online largely agrees that this is a "karma virus" - just one in a long series of viruses caused by meat consumption. Since this one came from exotic animals, the outrage is much higher still. I'm not 100% vegan, but I have to agree. Those wet markets in China are a disgrace to humanity and "we are now paying the price", so to speak.

I really hope humanity can learn a valuable lesson and progress the vegan movement after this crisis is over, but I doubt it. China is already spreading propaganda and wet markets will offer new diseases for decades to come. And there's the melting tundra that just might release some ancient critters.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2020, 03:47:51 AM »
The vegan society online largely agrees that this is a "karma virus" - just one in a long series of viruses caused by meat consumption. Since this one came from exotic animals, the outrage is much higher still. I'm not 100% vegan, but I have to agree. Those wet markets in China are a disgrace to humanity and "we are now paying the price", so to speak.

I really hope humanity can learn a valuable lesson and progress the vegan movement after this crisis is over, but I doubt it. China is already spreading propaganda and wet markets will offer new diseases for decades to come. And there's the melting tundra that just might release some ancient critters.

I'm vegan but I don't necessarily agree that this is a "karma virus".

People catch bird flu by close contact with birds or bird droppings. Exactly what "close contact" means differs from culture to culture.

Some people have caught H5N1 from cleaning or plucking infected birds. In China, there have been reports of infection via inhalation of aerosolized materials in live bird markets. It's also possible that some people were infected after swimming or bathing in water contaminated with the droppings of infected birds. And some infections have occurred in people who handle fighting cocks.

People don't catch the virus from eating fully cooked chicken or eggs.

So, yes, I do realize that by nature of eating meat there are farmers/hunters/ person with job X that are exposed in mass to animals with new viruses that will inevitably make the jump to humans. We would basically need to limit our contact to animals in general.

There have been plenty of instances like, during the Irish potato famine, where the famine was actually curved by giving people chickens so they could live off eating the eggs. There are plenty of countries where people still depend on things like this and they consider those animals part of their family - they'd never think of eating the animals themselves.

For purely farmed animals, they can be vaccinated. Vietnam had a massive vaccination/killing of birds during the first Avian flu outbreak and contained it very quickly. But, the thing is, birds migrate around the world and carry these things with them. With international travel and the amount of exposure in airports, when one person gets it and goes threw a few airports, you see what's happening now.

Wet markets are amping this up and allowing for viruses to  spread from bats, to pangolins, to birds, to humans - or however it transpires. So, yeah, they're not good. I haven't done much research on them but they come from a place with billions of people that all need to eat. They're somewhat of a cultural thing so trying to shut them down is like telling Americans to get rid of their guns - for lack of a better reference?

Generally speaking though, I'd agree that if the whole world went vegan it would help curve many problems and not only this one. It wouldn't necessarily completely eradicate things like the viral diseases though. 

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #374 on: March 17, 2020, 05:15:55 AM »
Has anyone on slap been tested?

I got sick yesterday and called it in. They told me stay in place and I will be tested today.

Gentleman ninja warlock

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #375 on: March 17, 2020, 05:21:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

People catch bird flu by close contact with birds or bird droppings. Exactly what "close contact" means differs from culture to culture.

Some people have caught H5N1 from cleaning or plucking infected birds. In China, there have been reports of infection via inhalation of aerosolized materials in live bird markets. It's also possible that some people were infected after swimming or bathing in water contaminated with the droppings of infected birds. And some infections have occurred in people who handle fighting cocks.

So, yes, I do realize that by nature of eating meat there are farmers/hunters/ person with job X that are exposed in mass to animals with new viruses that will inevitably make the jump to humans. We would basically need to limit our contact to animals in general.

There have been plenty of instances like, during the Irish potato famine, where the famine was actually curved by giving people chickens so they could live off eating the eggs. There are plenty of countries where people still depend on things like this and they consider those animals part of their family - they'd never think of eating the animals themselves.

For purely farmed animals, they can be vaccinated. Vietnam had a massive vaccination/killing of birds during the first Avian flu outbreak and contained it very quickly. But, the thing is, birds migrate around the world and carry these things with them. With international travel and the amount of exposure in airports, when one person gets it and goes threw a few airports, you see what's happening now.

Wet markets are amping this up and allowing for viruses to  spread from bats, to pangolins, to birds, to humans - or however it transpires. So, yeah, they're not good. I haven't done much research on them but they come from a place with billions of people that all need to eat. They're somewhat of a cultural thing so trying to shut them down is like telling Americans to get rid of their guns - for lack of a better reference?

Generally speaking though, I'd agree that if the whole world went vegan it would help curve many problems and not only this one. It wouldn't necessarily completely eradicate things like the viral diseases though. 

aren't there problems with scaling up vegan diets? they talk about that in this pod cast.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: March 17, 2020, 05:43:28 AM »
here in western australia everyones buying out toilet paper. we are a strange bunch.

That's everywhere bro.

The oddest thing I noticed here is paper plates are sold out everywhere? Wtf?
Gentleman ninja warlock

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 20
« Reply #377 on: March 17, 2020, 05:49:31 AM »
Wrestlemania is cancelled. Will be streamed from a sound stage in Orlando, no longer live in Tampa. I went to the grocery store yesterday. Bless those people working there. They put up with a lot of bullshit from a bunch of assholes.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #378 on: March 17, 2020, 05:51:34 AM »

I got sick yesterday and called it in. They told me stay in place and I will be tested today.

Not myself. Someone who was at my work told us they had symptoms but she’s a hypochondriac and haven’t heard anything now. Yesterday I had chest tightness but I think it was just weather. Was tripping for a minute on whether or not I should go but took allergy medication and it eased up. I expect a lot of people to call out today. They say stay 6ft apart and our cubicles aren’t even that far apart. Today we are also not allowed to even go to another person’s cubicle so I don’t know why they don’t just fucking close. 90 people in a confined space isn’t smart.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #379 on: March 17, 2020, 06:17:10 AM »
Welp my overtime hours got cut. That’s like $100 less on my pay checks.
My grandpa is dying but not related to Covid and last week I didn’t want to go see him because my wife was at a big concert and it’s possible she and I got something but I ended up seeing him yesterday because my mom thinks he could go at any moment so, potentially giving him something else isn’t really a concern.

He’s still lucid, it’s very hard for him to talk and move but he will say words sometimes and he was trying to talk to my mom about my dads tomato plants. He has at least been surrounded by all his kids over the last few weeks.
Funny thing is my grandpa can actually hear better than my dad can. My dad doesn’t like wearing his hearing aids.

My sister in law as a worker for HEB gets first dibs on inventory when it comes in. She got us like $100 worth of groceries last night with her employee discount too.
Heb really takes care of their employees.

I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #380 on: March 17, 2020, 06:35:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Not myself. Someone who was at my work told us they had symptoms but she’s a hypochondriac and haven’t heard anything now. Yesterday I had chest tightness but I think it was just weather. Was tripping for a minute on whether or not I should go but took allergy medication and it eased up. I expect a lot of people to call out today. They say stay 6ft apart and our cubicles aren’t even that far apart. Today we are also not allowed to even go to another person’s cubicle so I don’t know why they don’t just fucking close. 90 people in a confined space isn’t smart.

Yep that's not good at all.

I just got of the phone with my dr and hes been a friend too for about 12 years. But he was telling me I had flu symptoms.

He said if you have trouble breathing,  that's the biggest sign . But we've only had one reported case, and he let it slip that the local hospital quarantine is not fun, and avoid it if possible.

Made me think, is there really only one case?
Gentleman ninja warlock

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #381 on: March 17, 2020, 06:55:11 AM »
Anybody skating during these times? I went out front to do some flat ground but really just been chillin since Friday. I live in Treasure Island , they did a fly over of the beach nearby in Clearwater and shit was packed  , hundreds of ppl laying next to each other on towels. nothing really in the grocery stores. Did stock up at the liquor and w the weed man  ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:02:36 AM by LemThurdy »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: March 17, 2020, 06:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Naw how's the testing in Alberta? Are you in Alberta?

I've had pneumonia for two weeks here on Van island. I had never gotten pneumonia before in my life (I'm 25). Last week my girlfriend was waking me up in the night cause i was gurgling and wheezing, and I basically lied on my stomach on the hard bathroom floor coughing and spitting into the toilet. I dont feel so panicked like I cant catch my breath anymore that was basically two solid days, but my lungs, the last deep parts of a breath gurgle like popcorn in my chest, and feels like my lungs hurt. Like they are burned or something. I constantly taste blood 24/7 and I'm still coughing when I lie down so I sleep propped up. I haven't been going out or anything, two weeks ago it didnt really cross my mind, thought it was a chest cold, then thought maybe I got asthma from dabbing so I stopped. It just got worse. It's pretty relentless but I feel I'm over the scary parts,  though it's not going away. I dunno if I should bother calling and waiting on hold for hours and getting tested. Honestly I dont think it will help my course of action. I'm not dying.

Fuck, sorry to hear about that bro. My son just got over pneumonia a couple months back and it was terrible watching a 6 year old go through that.

I'm in Ontario and there is hotline to call the the northwestern health unit. They asked me to stay in place and they would come to my home to test me.

Again saying only go to the hospital if it feels like you cannot breathe(which I dont have)

I did use to live in Alberta but I've never been to a hospital there so I have zero clue what it's like there.

Gentleman ninja warlock

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1516
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #383 on: March 17, 2020, 07:09:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

aren't there problems with scaling up vegan diets? they talk about that in this pod cast.

The higher the environmental footprint of a food, the higher the price, so scaling up would not be a problem, since most could not afford the problematic items (as they would also rise in price in case of scarcity). Also, a lot of the food is already being wasted on feeding livestock, so some crops would essentially have to be downscaled.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
« Reply #384 on: March 17, 2020, 07:12:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Naw how's the testing in Alberta? Are you in Alberta?

I've had pneumonia for two weeks here on Van island. I had never gotten pneumonia before in my life (I'm 25). Last week my girlfriend was waking me up in the night cause i was gurgling and wheezing, and I basically lied on my stomach on the hard bathroom floor coughing and spitting into the toilet. I dont feel so panicked like I cant catch my breath anymore that was basically two solid days, but my lungs, the last deep parts of a breath gurgle like popcorn in my chest, and feels like my lungs hurt. Like they are burned or something. I constantly taste blood 24/7 and I'm still coughing when I lie down so I sleep propped up. I haven't been going out or anything, two weeks ago it didnt really cross my mind, thought it was a chest cold, then thought maybe I got asthma from dabbing so I stopped. It just got worse. It's pretty relentless but I feel I'm over the scary parts,  though it's not going away. I dunno if I should bother calling and waiting on hold for hours and getting tested. Honestly I dont think it will help my course of action. I'm not dying.
[close]

Fuck, sorry to hear about that bro. My son just got over pneumonia a couple months back and it was terrible watching a 6 year old go through that.

I'm in Ontario and there is hotline to call the the northwestern health unit. They asked me to stay in place and they would come to my home to test me.

Again saying only go to the hospital if it feels like you cannot breathe(which I dont have)

I did use to live in Alberta but I've never been to a hospital there so I have zero clue what it's like there.

Yo small headed bear

Make sure your appendix doesn’t burst. That almost happened to me and w/o penicillin it would have. Any pain in your lower abdominal go to the ER or you may die.

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #385 on: March 17, 2020, 07:20:10 AM »
So I've gotten sick twice this year with the stomach flu and I have been super stressed out about work and figuring out life stuff in general. I got the flu a month ago and I still feel super off. I also have celiac disease so my stomach is fucking jacked.

I started getting a tight chest on Friday but I just contributed that to anxiety. I also still have a cough. I called my doctor's office and told them about it and they said a COVID19 Task Force would call me...which they haven't yet.
Not sure what my alternative is but anyone on here have any advice or those who have been tested know what to do?
Anything helps.

Big love to all of ya'll and stay safe.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #386 on: March 17, 2020, 07:43:33 AM »
Anybody skating during these times? I went out front to do some flat ground but really just been chillin since Friday. I live in Treasure Island , they did a fly over of the beach nearby in Clearwater and shit was packed  , hundreds of ppl laying next to each other on towels. nothing really in the grocery stores. Did stock up at the liquor and w the weed man  ;D

Yeah, I’ve been out skating. It’s dope! I play the fallout 3 soundtrack and cruise around pretending I survived the apocalypse.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #387 on: March 17, 2020, 07:51:25 AM »
So I've gotten sick twice this year with the stomach flu and I have been super stressed out about work and figuring out life stuff in general. I got the flu a month ago and I still feel super off. I also have celiac disease so my stomach is fucking jacked.

I started getting a tight chest on Friday but I just contributed that to anxiety. I also still have a cough. I called my doctor's office and told them about it and they said a COVID19 Task Force would call me...which they haven't yet.
Not sure what my alternative is but anyone on here have any advice or those who have been tested know what to do?
Anything helps.

Big love to all of ya'll and stay safe.

Tightness in chest probably anxiety like me. It went away after I took some allergy meds. It says trouble breathing but I didn’t see anything about chest tightness.

Pretty relieved I haven’t been too sick lately. Last year and the year before I had insane sicker than ever before flus and colds. Also had my first stomach flu since I was like a child in December but that was just a week and everyone I know got that.

Most worried about my girlfriend who has asthma.

If you guys know anyone with asthma they should call their Dr and ask to get a respiratory infection vaccine. If they have asthma and get infected the chances of them contracting the respiratory infection symptoms is higher and the vaccine can help prevent it. I told my girlfriend, she called yesterday and is going in for it today, plus an extra inhaler. They say 1 in 2 people will get this shit and even if a vaccine is developed it won’t be out for at least a year, chances are a lot of us will get it, but you might not show symptoms, though you could pass it to someone at higher risk for complications.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:56:35 AM by 50mm »

Kylo Send

« Reply #388 on: March 17, 2020, 07:57:24 AM »
I've been told if you feel like you need to go to the hospital then go. If you just feel sick then stay home and self quarantine.

I also heard the test kits suck. Some people test negative the first time and test positive when they retake it a second time.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #389 on: March 17, 2020, 08:13:45 AM »
I’m going nuts stuck at home with two kids and a wife. Wife has commandeered the TV room as her work from home office. Can’t just relax and watch tv. Gives me shit that I ought to be endlessly cleaning the house because she’s still working.

Kids are getting a full school day’s worth of assignments from their teachers and will not do any work unless I stand there and help/encourage/threaten. Different grades so completely different assignments.

Only on day 2 of this crap.