Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93137 times)

Charlie Hustle

Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #750 on: March 27, 2020, 12:12:29 AM »
5 people that work 20 feet from me all sick. One in the hospital. One went home today, who happens to be fucking my coworker that was out all last week sick... She's back with a cough, worked today. Wiped the fuck out the office today. We're all on edge, PPE'd up.

anon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #751 on: March 27, 2020, 02:09:00 AM »
Corona is the vaccine and we are the virus.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #752 on: March 27, 2020, 04:32:50 AM »
Got my last paycheck today, from last weeks pay period. A bit on the short side. A coworker called me and quietly mentioned she lives paycheck to paycheck so she won't be able to pay rent next month. She's alright for the time being since they've paused evictions and such. I was ok with the "temporary" job loss but I'm starting to get anxious. I'm very grateful that I have a bit saved up.

When are we getting our Donald Dollars anyway? The city is imposing a 10pm curfew starting tomorrow. My late night sessions are over. I'm getting anxious.
What even is the point of that? Makes no sense to shorten the time frame when people can go to public places, just results in more people at the same place at the same time. Really sounds like there's ulterior motives behind that decision

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #753 on: March 27, 2020, 07:28:44 AM »
Legend has it the States just overtook China for number of covid19 cases. And they said American exceptionalism was a thing of the past.

(That said, I could easily see the US media inflating their own numbers and the Chinese state-run media lowering theirs.)
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #754 on: March 27, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »
Legend has it the States just overtook China for number of covid19 cases. And they said American exceptionalism was a thing of the past.

(That said, I could easily see the US media inflating their own numbers and the Chinese state-run media lowering theirs.)

Even if that's the case, the US is fucked dude. When China was at this point, they were straight up cutting of cities and stopping people from leaving their house. We're doing none of that here. Every stay at home order is limp dicked to the max. We're not even at the worst of it yet. Weeks from now is when the bodies will really start to pile up. Even with journalistic hysteria in play, the amount of dead people is a true number. We're worse off than italy and china by a long shot.

I hate to say it, but I think this is still going to get pretty bad.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #755 on: March 27, 2020, 07:54:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Even if that's the case, the US is fucked dude. When China was at this point, they were straight up cutting of cities and stopping people from leaving their house. We're doing none of that here. Every stay at home order is limp dicked to the max. We're not even at the worst of it yet. Weeks from now is when the bodies will really start to pile up. Even with journalistic hysteria in play, the amount of dead people is a true number. We're worse off than italy and china by a long shot.

i don't buy into the hysteria--meaning the virus and the media can not make me hysterical--but i do not for a second underestimate the power and determination the hysteria has over many (most?) Americans, and what these Americans are capable of, when hysterical.

this is one reason i have a safe full of "high capacity" rifles and handguns, thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammunition and magazines stored up, and why i've been training for years.

many Americans are impelled on a daily basis by two impulses, and two impulses alone--appetites and insecurities. these Americans fight and shoot each other over a video game at Walmart at Christmas time, or because someone didn't pull away from a stop light quick enough--these debased peasants will make things in this country unbearable for everyone else trying to stay safe and sane as this runs its course.

so far, teaching my classes online this first week back, has went well--and almost all of my students in both classes have the tech resources to see this semester through...i'm happy to say. this is me working towards and praying for the best...

...the aforementioned Americans--and their appetites and insecurities--are why i will nonetheless be prepared for the worst. remember when Louis-Ferdinand Celine wrote this in Journey to the End of the Night?

"..Men are the thing to be afraid of, always, men and nothing else."

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #756 on: March 27, 2020, 08:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i don't buy into the hysteria--meaning the virus and the media can not make me hysterical--but i do not for a second underestimate the power and determination the hysteria has over many (most?) Americans, and what these Americans are capable of, when hysterical.

this is one reason i have a safe full of "high capacity" rifles and handguns, thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammunition and magazines stored up, and why i've been training for years.

many Americans are impelled on a daily basis by two impulses, and two impulses alone--appetites and insecurities. these Americans fight and shoot each other over a video game at Walmart at Christmas time, or because someone didn't pull away from a stop light quick enough--these debased peasants will make things in this country unbearable for everyone else trying to stay safe and sane as this runs its course.

so far, teaching my classes online this first week back, has went well--and almost all of my students in both classes have the tech resources to see this semester through...i'm happy to say. this is me working towards and praying for the best...

...the aforementioned Americans--and their appetites and insecurities--are why i will nonetheless be prepared for the worst. remember when Louis-Ferdinand Celine wrote this in Journey to the End of the Night?

With high unemployment and high poverty rates comes high crime. It's an inevitable outcome. People will become desperate and more people will become victims of theft because of this.

I think you're totally right to prepare the way you have. While property theft may not happen to everyone on slap, it will happen to many because of this.

We have castle doctrine in my state and my girl's family has the same mentality as you and prepared the same way. I doubt that I'll experience an attempted robbery where I am but it wouldn't go well for whoever tried and I'm not trying to be some internet badass by saying so, it's just the fact of the matter.

I'm just going to stay inside for as long as possible and away from people for as long as possible and hopefully that works. I just don't know what else to do.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #757 on: March 27, 2020, 08:14:55 AM »

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #758 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:44 AM »
It’s going to get worse with the amount of noncompliance we have. A good chunk of the country still believing this is a Liberal hoax to get the President impeached and another (stupid) chunk believing God will stop the virus. The Governor of Mississippi is overriding any county based “stay at home.” Even the President, who doesn’t understand science and/data, wants to “open up” the country on Easter. If that doesn’t prove how screwed we are, I don’t know what will.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #759 on: March 27, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

With high unemployment and high poverty rates comes high crime. It's an inevitable outcome. People will become desperate and more people will become victims of theft because of this.

I think you're totally right to prepare the way you have. While property theft may not happen to everyone on slap, it will happen to many because of this.

We have castle doctrine in my state and my girl's family has the same mentality as you and prepared the same way. I doubt that I'll experience an attempted robbery where I am but it wouldn't go well for whoever tried and I'm not trying to be some internet badass by saying so, it's just the fact of the matter.

I'm just going to stay inside for as long as possible and away from people for as long as possible and hopefully that works. I just don't know what else to do.

i swear, it really does seem this simple--if boredom is the worst i have to complain about, how dare i complain.

you know i'm not including this to carry on about gun-control and all, and i know this dude comes on strong, but i couldn't find much about this news anywhere else, and it's inevitable other police departments around the country will have follow suit--i know Detroit's PD is already in bad shape:

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #760 on: March 27, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »

Thank you for sharing this. It honestly made my day so much better.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #761 on: March 27, 2020, 08:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i swear, it really does seem this simple--if boredom is the worst i have to complain about, how dare i complain.

you know i'm not including this to carry on about gun-control and all, and i know this dude comes on strong, but i couldn't find much about this news anywhere else, and it's inevitable other police departments around the country will have follow suit--i know Detroit's PD is already in bad shape:

Those 3 crimes he mentions though, unless it’s an active, in progress event, they’re not coming no matter where you live. File a report online.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #762 on: March 27, 2020, 10:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Philly announced that they're halting drug, prostitute, and simple theft. Waiting to arrest some later by giving out warrants.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/philadelphia-police-coronavirus-arrests-policy-non-violent-warrant-jails-outlaw-krasner/

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/philadelphia-police-coronavirus-covid-pandemic-arrests-jail-overcrowding-larry-krasner-20200317.html

All that shit aside, and like I said before, it is a statistical inevitability that crime will rise when there is a rise in unemployment and the poverty rates go up. How you choose to protect yourself, if you feel it's necessary to, is up to you.(speaking in a general sense, not you specifically deputy wendall).

I just think a lot of people aren't realizing this. I've been dirt poor and homeless and I stole food to survive. It's just a consequence of extreme poverty. Crime will absolutely rise because of this. Desperation turns people.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #763 on: March 27, 2020, 11:21:13 AM »
All that shit aside, and like I said before, it is a statistical inevitability that crime will rise when there is a rise in unemployment and the poverty rates go up. How you choose to protect yourself, if you feel it's necessary to, is up to you.(speaking in a general sense, not you specifically deputy wendall).

I just think a lot of people aren't realizing this. I've been dirt poor and homeless and I stole food to survive. It's just a consequence of extreme poverty. Crime will absolutely rise because of this. Desperation turns people.

The raw number of crimes were lower in 2010, 2011, and 2012 than they were prior to the recession (http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm),

Canada's unemployment is often quite higher than the US and their crime rate is far lower.

Crime rose dramatically in the post WW-II era, despite a booming economy and the majority of Americans moving up.

Crime and poverty are often correlated, but not because most people are out robbing for their daily bread. There are all sorts of criminological theories that attempt to explain this correlation, but the idea it is simply person x needs y so he rationalized and it and stole it is often bullshit.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Tracerstracer

• Rep: -38
« Reply #764 on: March 27, 2020, 11:30:28 AM »

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #765 on: March 27, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The raw number of crimes were lower in 2010, 2011, and 2012 than they were prior to the recession (http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm),

Canada's unemployment is often quite higher than the US and their crime rate is far lower.

Crime rose dramatically in the post WW-II era, despite a booming economy and the majority of Americans moving up.

Crime and poverty are often correlated, but not because most people are out robbing for their daily bread. There are all sorts of criminological theories that attempt to explain this correlation, but the idea it is simply person x needs y so he rationalized and it and stole it is often bullshit.

Um see what happens if welfare won't cover everyone. You think people won't/don't steal to eat? You're crazy dude.

First off, Canada is a totally different ball game than America. I get that you have "ghettos" there but real poverty in Canada is simply not the same as it is in America. Point out any Canadian city that has the crime rates and poverty levels, along with unemployment levels, that North Philadelphia or Baltimore have. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed in Canada because of my five felonies but if I ever get up there, I'd be happy if you would show me around your ghettos. Then I'll take you down to mine. Like I said, the social services in Canada protect people from the type of poverty that America has. Our number one cause for bankruptcy is medical debt. You literally don't have the issue. You don't have the same problems America has and that's a simple fact and to compare Canadian crime rates to this as an example of why crime won't rise is fucking silly. Plus, all you guys are way too polite to be real criminals. Fucking maple syrup gangs don't count bro(consider this last part to be said in jest).

Have you been to an American ghetto? I've spent a fair amount of my life in the badlands and the kensington area of Philadelphia. Save some other cities in America(Baltimore, Chicago, Newark,..) that are slightly similar in crime rates and poverty, there is no place in Canada like what I'm talking about. Your health care and social services simply cover more people and help many more. I'm sure you want to debate me until the cows come home about Toronto projects or whatever but I assure you, there is literally no place in Canada that comes close to a real American ghetto.

All that being said, when welfare gets cut, when poverty goes up, so does crime.

The last american recession is nothing like this by the way. That affected the housing market in a huge way but there were still swaths of America that were largely left untouched. I lived in Lancaster PA, a fairly well off city. Although home ownership went down, poverty was not a huge issue. Hell, my mother and her husband made over 100k in profit due to the housing bubble bursting while they had a savings because they were able to buy a home when the market was low. I've also spent time(10 months) in Reading PA, one of the most destitute, vagrant cities I've ever stepped foot in. You know the monopoly board? The Reading railroad? Guess what is a shell of itself now because of manufacturing dying in america.Yeah, the fucking city that was put on the monopoly board because it used to be so prosperous. The recession is nothing like this though. Unemployment was not this bad and like I said, certain cities and areas were largely left unscathed in America. That's not the case with covid.

Poverty and crime correlation is real. I've fucking lived it dude. I've seen real desperation and real high unemployment and I've seen the effect that has on communities.

Edit: Also, please don't take this as some ghetto pissing contest. My main point is that comparing canada to america is apples and oranges, with the orange being a rotted out shell of itself, with no real social safety nets, since industry was shipped overseas.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:49:33 AM by drewsmahgoos »

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #766 on: March 27, 2020, 11:50:38 AM »
Someone I know just told me her friend has a friend in NY -- a person in perfect health -- and COVID-19 killed that person in 2 weeks.

Random teenager in france who was 16 died in two days. She was in perfect health too. I think imma not go skating at all now she's like 3 years under me fuuuuuck
RIP  :-\

lady fanny

• Rep: -52
« Reply #767 on: March 27, 2020, 11:56:35 AM »
we've got a few criminal subcultures that you don't see in Canada or Europe. i'm not sure if it started with gangsta rap in the 90s [there's a conspiracy theory that Lyor Cohen and Rick Rubin and all the producers told the rappers to push violent misogynist lyrical content instead of goofy 80s rap in order to increase crime and offered them a chance to invest in private prisons.
sounds crazy but the timeline kind of matches up. if true, this could explain America's high crime vs the rest of the developed world.
http://www.hiphopisread.com/2012/04/secret-meeting-that-changed-rap-music.html
Lady Fanny from Omaha

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #768 on: March 27, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »
we've got a few criminal subcultures that you don't see in Canada or Europe. i'm not sure if it started with gangsta rap in the 90s [there's a conspiracy theory that Lyor Cohen and Rick Rubin and all the producers told the rappers to push violent misogynist lyrical content instead of goofy 80s rap in order to increase crime and offered them a chance to invest in private prisons.
sounds crazy but the timeline kind of matches up. if true, this could explain America's high crime vs the rest of the developed world.

American crime rates were way high before that though. Look at Chicago in the 70's and same with NYC.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #769 on: March 27, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
I've been ranting on here about how irresponsible my work has been about keeping us safe. Today someone told me that someone in our office of ~100 people tested positive. A bunch of people were in sick like fucking idiots. But my office did all this dumb shit and ignored safety rules. I was only in for 2 days over the past 9 days so I'm hoping I'm good. No symptoms as of yet. More worried about my family and my girlfriend who is freaking out. But I first saw her a week ago and so far no symptoms from her.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #770 on: March 27, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

American crime rates were way high before that though. Look at Chicago in the 70's and same with NYC.

The guy you’re talking to is not from the States. He is an English neo-Nazi. Figure that shit out.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #771 on: March 27, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The guy you’re talking to is not from the States. He is an English neo-Nazi. Figure that shit out.

I know that. He's a shitty troll and normally I wouldn't engage, just wanted to point out the obvious hole in yet another one of his dumb conspiracy theories.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #772 on: March 27, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Um see what happens if welfare won't cover everyone. You think people won't/don't steal to eat? You're crazy dude.

First off, Canada is a totally different ball game than America. I get that you have "ghettos" there but real poverty in Canada is simply not the same as it is in America. Point out any Canadian city that has the crime rates and poverty levels, along with unemployment levels, that North Philadelphia or Baltimore have. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed in Canada because of my five felonies but if I ever get up there, I'd be happy if you would show me around your ghettos. Then I'll take you down to mine. Like I said, the social services in Canada protect people from the type of poverty that America has. Our number one cause for bankruptcy is medical debt. You literally don't have the issue. You don't have the same problems America has and that's a simple fact and to compare Canadian crime rates to this as an example of why crime won't rise is fucking silly. Plus, all you guys are way too polite to be real criminals. Fucking maple syrup gangs don't count bro(consider this last part to be said in jest).

Have you been to an American ghetto? I've spent a fair amount of my life in the badlands and the kensington area of Philadelphia. Save some other cities in America(Baltimore, Chicago, Newark,..) that are slightly similar in crime rates and poverty, there is no place in Canada like what I'm talking about. Your health care and social services simply cover more people and help many more. I'm sure you want to debate me until the cows come home about Toronto projects or whatever but I assure you, there is literally no place in Canada that comes close to a real American ghetto.

All that being said, when welfare gets cut, when poverty goes up, so does crime.

The last american recession is nothing like this by the way. That affected the housing market in a huge way but there were still swaths of America that were largely left untouched. I lived in Lancaster PA, a fairly well off city. Although home ownership went down, poverty was not a huge issue. Hell, my mother and her husband made over 100k in profit due to the housing bubble bursting while they had a savings because they were able to buy a home when the market was low. I've also spent time(10 months) in Reading PA, one of the most destitute, vagrant cities I've ever stepped foot in. You know the monopoly board? The Reading railroad? Guess what is a shell of itself now because of manufacturing dying in america.Yeah, the fucking city that was put on the monopoly board because it used to be so prosperous. The recession is nothing like this though. Unemployment was not this bad and like I said, certain cities and areas were largely left unscathed in America. That's not the case with covid.

Poverty and crime correlation is real. I've fucking lived it dude. I've seen real desperation and real high unemployment and I've seen the effect that has on communities.

Edit: Also, please don't take this as some ghetto pissing contest. My main point is that comparing canada to america is apples and oranges, with the orange being a rotted out shell of itself, with no real social safety nets, since industry was shipped overseas.

Honestly, I love that you don't respond to facts, and just lean harder on your belief being a fact. It makes for an enjoyable conversation when someone has a "hypothesis" that they treat as a fact. I'm glad you spent years studying crim theory and can explain it all to the rest of us.

You asserted when unemployment goes up crime is going to shoot up, BUT:
1) Other places have higher unemployment and lower crime rates (we don't need to simply focus on Canada, plenty of other places have higher unemployment numbers and lower crime rates). This doesn't support your hypothesis.
2) During the last recession when unemployment increased the raw number of crimes dropped. This doesn't support your hypothesis either.

Not much support for the "common sense" idea that unemployment = dramatic crime rate increases. The reality may be that when unemployment rises fear of crime increases.

You asserted poor economy = higher crime rate.
1) The economy boomed post -WWII and crime went up. Once again, counter your hypothesis.
2) The economy struggled post 2008/9 and the crime rate went down. Once again, counter your hypothesis.

You asserted "when the unemployment runs out blah blah blah"
1) Clinton kicked 50% of the people who were on welfare of welfare in 1996. Crime has been going down since the mid-90s. Once again this shit doesn't line up with your "common sense."

Finally, you seem to misunderstand the term correlation. Correlation means two things are related, not that one causes the other. There is a correlation between impoverished areas and crime rates, but the WHY is not as simple as "poor people are criminals" or "if you become poor you become a criminal."

Not to mention, this indirectly supports the myth that the wealthy don't commit crimes. You have an intense hatred for the "elites," if things are going well for them (and strain and risk of poverty is what causes crime) why are they committing crimes?

The reality is, you just have a deep distrust of people. If thing are going well for them, they are crooks. If things are going poorly for them, they're crooks. No matter what, you are simply going to see disorder around you.

Weird:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-latzer-crime-economy-20140124-story.html
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97234406
https://www.city-journal.org/html/crime-and-great-recession-13399.html
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:06:20 PM by TheLurper »

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1415
« Reply #773 on: March 27, 2020, 12:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i had to stop reading, but i spent time growing up in the EastCoast, it's Ghetto AF for sure, but West Coast ghetto is a different beast.

With that, in Canada, the poverty is on First Nations Reservations. Those are the real ghettos. Shit like you ain't seen. Same out here on the res in the west.

no pissing contest cus i generally agree, but when talking about povrety and ghettos, folks be forgetting out native bothers and sisters
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #774 on: March 27, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly, I love that you don't respond to facts, and just lean harder on your belief being a fact. It makes for an enjoyable conversation when someone has a "hypothesis" that they treat as a fact. I'm glad you spent years studying crim theory and can explain it all to the rest of us.

1) Other places have higher unemployment and lower crime rates (we don't need to simply focus on Canada, plenty of other places have higher unemployment numbers and lower crime rates). This doesn't support your hypothesis.
2) During the last recession when unemployment increased the raw number of crimes dropped. This doesn't support your hypothesis either.

Not much support for the "common sense" idea that unemployment = dramatic crime rate increases. The reality may be that when unemployment rises fear of crime increases.

1) The economy boomed post -WWII and crime went up. Once again, counter your hypothesis.
2) The economy struggled post 2008/9 and the crime rate went down. Once again, counter your hypothesis.

1) Clinton kicked 50% of the people who were on welfare of welfare in 1996. Crime has been going down since the mid-90s. Once again this shit doesn't line up with your "common sense."

Finally, you seem to misunderstand the term correlation. Correlation means two things are related, not that one causes the other. There is a correlation between impoverished areas and crime rates, but the WHY is not as simple as "poor people are criminals" or "if you become poor you become a criminal."

Not to mention, this indirectly supports the myth that the wealthy don't commit crimes. You have an intense hatred for the "elites," if things are going well for them (and strain and risk of poverty is what causes crime) why are they committing crimes?

The reality is, you just have a deep distrust of people. If thing are going well for them, they are crooks. If things are going poorly for them, they're crooks. No matter what, you are simply going to see disorder around you.

Weird:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-latzer-crime-economy-20140124-story.html

I was specifically talking about America and crime rates related to poverty.

As to the rich criminals, yes obviously people are rich and commit crimes. They aren't out stealing food to live though. That's the type of crime that I'm talking about here. The crime we'll see is coming from people that have lost all safety nets.

For the period 2008-12-
Persons in poor households at or below the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) (39.8 per 1,000) had more than double the rate of violent victimization as persons in high-income households (16.9 per 1,000).
Persons in poor households had a higher rate of violence involving a firearm (3.5 per 1,000) compared to persons above the FPL (0.8-2.5 per 1,000).
The overall pattern of poor persons having the highest rates of violent victimization was consistent for both whites and blacks. However, the rate of violent victimization for Hispanics did not vary across poverty levels.
Poor Hispanics (25.3 per 1,000) had lower rates of violence compared to poor whites (46.4 per 1,000) and poor blacks (43.4 per 1,000).
Poor persons living in urban areas (43.9 per 1,000) had violent victimization rates similar to poor persons living in rural areas (38.8 per 1,000).
Poor urban blacks (51.3 per 1,000) had rates of violence similar to poor urban whites (56.4 per 1,000).

This came from the bureau of Justice Statistics.

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5137

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=5508484140a84023a1e2d8b080e14d0a

That's another source where I'm drawing these conclusions from. Finally, this is my final source

http://economics.fundamentalfinance.com/povertycrime.php

All of these do back up what I said about poverty and crime(at least in my opinion),  with the last link backing, with sources, what I am trying to get at.

I understand that I came off not directly responding to your statistics at first. I should have done that, before adding in my anecdotes. That being said, there are plenty of examples of what I'm talking about. My last example points at the correlation of unemployment and violent crime. I get that you're showing examples as well that seem to be well thought out. That being said, I have sincerely spent much of my life in these impoverished areas. I have witnessed sincere poverty and desperation due to poverty. I've seen crimes committed by unemployed individuals because they were hungry and they needed food. I've lived in areas with high unemployment, low home ownership and bad schools. You can accept my anecdotes as false but myself, and others I know, have stolen food, stolen money, stolen property, to stave off hunger. You can believe that high unemployment won't affect crime but I assure you, it absolutely will. In America at least. Canada is not America. It won't ever be America. Someone pointed out that Native American Reservations are the real ghetto in Canada. I truly believe that. That being said, you have no place like kensington or the badlands, like southside Chicago, like west Baltimore, like basically every city in New Jersey, the skid row in LA. You just don't bro. The safety nets that are in Canada simply aren't here.

Again, I don't need to have some ghetto pissing contest. It just kind of seems like you've never been to a real ghetto, or else you probably wouldn't spout off that shit. Cause it's really obvious that poverty and lack of education drive a certain type of crime(obviously not white collar).

Also, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm going to stop arguing with you. I feel like we're clogging up the coronavirus thread with our back and forth bickering. PM me if you want okay? I say this all with no malice and I sincerely do understand where you're coming from. I just think we've been down some different roads in life.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:51:34 PM by drewsmahgoos »

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #775 on: March 27, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »
Can we stop arguing with trolls and just get updates from people?

can you dorks please argue somewhere else?

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #776 on: March 27, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Can we stop arguing with trolls and just get updates from people?
[close]

can you dorks please argue somewhere else?

Yes, in my last post I said specifically that I was stopping. Apologies for clogging up the thread.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #777 on: March 27, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
Update from front lines of San Diego. Obviously not as bad as other regions. Have a relative who's a PA at one of the big hospitals. She doesn't seem that worried about it:

"Ya, it's fine. Slower than normal really, just mostly dramatic with the COVID stuff."

Surprised at her calm response then said I was shocked she didnt see an influx of patients.

Then she responded, "We do, we have a bunch of them. But everyone shut down all elective procedures/operations. And people are actually listening and not coming in unless they are really ill. The net result is services are slower than normal. It's here, it's been here for weeks. The initial kill rates are falsely inflated. They were initially only testing really sick people. Lots have it, but I suspect it's not significantly different from the flu. It will kill old people, sick people and immunocompromised people."

Dr Dew

« Reply #778 on: March 27, 2020, 03:01:01 PM »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #779 on: March 27, 2020, 03:38:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All that shit aside, and like I said before, it is a statistical inevitability that crime will rise when there is a rise in unemployment and the poverty rates go up.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Weird:
[close]

I was specifically talking about America and crime rates related to poverty.

As to the rich criminals, yes obviously people are rich and commit crimes. They aren't out stealing food to live though. That's the type of crime that I'm talking about here. The crime we'll see is coming from people that have lost all safety nets.

For the period 2008-12-
Persons in poor households at or below the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) (39.8 per 1,000) had more than double the rate of violent victimization as persons in high-income households (16.9 per 1,000).
Persons in poor households had a higher rate of violence involving a firearm (3.5 per 1,000) compared to persons above the FPL (0.8-2.5 per 1,000).
The overall pattern of poor persons having the highest rates of violent victimization was consistent for both whites and blacks. However, the rate of violent victimization for Hispanics did not vary across poverty levels.
Poor Hispanics (25.3 per 1,000) had lower rates of violence compared to poor whites (46.4 per 1,000) and poor blacks (43.4 per 1,000).
Poor persons living in urban areas (43.9 per 1,000) had violent victimization rates similar to poor persons living in rural areas (38.8 per 1,000).
Poor urban blacks (51.3 per 1,000) had rates of violence similar to poor urban whites (56.4 per 1,000).

This came from the bureau of Justice Statistics.

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5137

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=5508484140a84023a1e2d8b080e14d0a

That's another source where I'm drawing these conclusions from. Finally, this is my final source

http://economics.fundamentalfinance.com/povertycrime.php

All of these do back up what I said about poverty and crime(at least in my opinion),  with the last link backing, with sources, what I am trying to get at.

I understand that I came off not directly responding to your statistics at first. I should have done that, before adding in my anecdotes. That being said, there are plenty of examples of what I'm talking about. My last example points at the correlation of unemployment and violent crime. I get that you're showing examples as well that seem to be well thought out. That being said, I have sincerely spent much of my life in these impoverished areas. I have witnessed sincere poverty and desperation due to poverty. I've seen crimes committed by unemployed individuals because they were hungry and they needed food. I've lived in areas with high unemployment, low home ownership and bad schools. You can accept my anecdotes as false but myself, and others I know, have stolen food, stolen money, stolen property, to stave off hunger. You can believe that high unemployment won't affect crime but I assure you, it absolutely will. In America at least. Canada is not America. It won't ever be America. Someone pointed out that Native American Reservations are the real ghetto in Canada. I truly believe that. That being said, you have no place like kensington or the badlands, like southside Chicago, like west Baltimore, like basically every city in New Jersey, the skid row in LA. You just don't bro. The safety nets that are in Canada simply aren't here.

Again, I don't need to have some ghetto pissing contest. It just kind of seems like you've never been to a real ghetto, or else you probably wouldn't spout off that shit. Cause it's really obvious that poverty and lack of education drive a certain type of crime(obviously not white collar).

Also, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm going to stop arguing with you. I feel like we're clogging up the coronavirus thread with our back and forth bickering. PM me if you want okay? I say this all with no malice and I sincerely do understand where you're coming from. I just think we've been down some different roads in life.

Why am I not surprised that your experience of the Coronavirus continues to foresee tragedy and the destabilization of society. At first we were all going to run out of food so we need to panic buy and now we are going to be overrun by crime. We get it, fear and distrust colors absolutely everything around you. I'm sorry this is your view of the world and experience of this particular pandemic.

Your information provides evidence that there is a correlation between poverty and crime, not that poverty causes crime. These are two different things. The number of drownings and the amount of ice cream consumed goes up at the same time... so does ice cream causes drownings? Or, could it be a third factor? (Obviously, yes. More ice cream = summer and more swimming/drowning = summer.)

The American crime rate went down after 2008/9. The American crime rate continued to fall after the American President Bill Clinton (and the American Congress) kicked 50% of those on the welfare rolls of of welfare. Just because Americans experience hardships doesn't mean they are going to go out and start robbing one another. The factors around why poverty and crime often line up is far more than as soon as someone becomes poor they become a criminal (especially since this ignores age, a key factor related to crime.)

You don't want to have a ghetto pissing contest, but you're going to bring up over and over again. We get the idea that you've seen or lived in a poor neighborhood before, which makes you not only street smart but somehow an expert on crime and human behavior. And, we get it, I (an American living in Canada) has never seen a poor neighborhood. However, even having lived one of the 10 most dangerous cities in the USA (according to Forbes) for years that doesn't do anything to add to my position. Just the same as my grandfather who had three heart attacks wasn't anymore qualified to do heart surgery or diagnose someone's else's medical condition.

As for an understanding of the south side of Chicago I think I'll stick with or for an understanding of rough neighborhoods in NYC, I'll read .